Conquer Club

'Skip game' feature for 'Jump to next game' button *Done*

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

Re: "Mark as Viewed" Games

Postby yeti_c on Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:07 am

I think "Mark as viewed" should put this game to the end of your list...

So once your games that are not viewed are done - then it starts to cycle through the "viewed" games again (in order of time waiting)

I like this feature too.

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby cspare on Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:02 am

I reckon this would fit nice in a plugin/addon (BOB maybe?)
Sergeant 1st Class cspare

Postby yeti_c on Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:04 am

cspare wrote:I reckon this would fit nice in a plugin/addon (BOB maybe?)

Not nicely codeable... would require prior knowledge of the My Games screen at all times.

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby PLAYER57832 on Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:57 am

***Edited after reading next comment***
LIke the idea of putting the skipped game to the bottom of the queu.

EXCEPT, I would like to also see a time-based warning. (maybe a speed-game type PM alert) saying "warning, you have less than one hour to take your turn ...")
Last edited by PLAYER57832 on Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby Natewolfman on Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:03 pm

yeti_c wrote:I think "Mark as viewed" should put this game to the end of your list...

So once your games that are not viewed are done - then it starts to cycle through the "viewed" games again (in order of time waiting)

C.

I like this way better then returning to 'my games' page, a good idea yeti.

ciero - if its done as yeti stated, then you wont have the oops factor you mentioned ;)
Sergeant 1st Class Natewolfman

Postby Natewolfman on Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:23 pm

the sugg is falling to the wayside... anyone else have any opinions?

Postby The Neon Peon on Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:29 pm

It is a good idea, but what if all of them are viewed? You need to make sure that they are at the bottom, but once they are there, they need to sort themselves by time remaining, or the order will be random.

The problem I see is that if you click on a game, then once it is marked as viewed, lose it in the my games page, it will be hard to find in any way, since the order will have changed.
Lieutenant The Neon Peon

Postby n00blet on Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:31 pm

Nice and simple, I doubt it would be exceedingly hard to code, and it would make life a lot easier for tournament directors/clan leaders. Gneiss ;)
Captain n00blet

Postby Natewolfman on Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:19 am

The Neon Peon wrote:It is a good idea, but what if all of them are viewed? You need to make sure that they are at the bottom, but once they are there, they need to sort themselves by time remaining, or the order will be random.

The problem I see is that if you click on a game, then once it is marked as viewed, lose it in the my games page, it will be hard to find in any way, since the order will have changed.

i like yeti's idea, if you mark a game it goes to the end of your games not played yet, then once you finish all the games not marked, it will start to cycle through those that you marked. As it stands when you look at the 'my games' page they will be in the correct order time wise, it would just skip them when you click the "view next playable game' button

Postby max is gr8 on Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:28 pm

I would like this function for games I'm not in, so then I know which tg I've checked
ā€¹max is gr8ā€ŗ so you're a tee-total healthy-eating sex-addict?
ā€¹New_rulesā€ŗ Everyone has some bad habits
(4th Jan 2010)
Corporal max is gr8

Postby n00blet on Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:23 pm

max is gr8 wrote:I would like this function for games I'm not in, so then I know which tg I've checked

Oh yes, it seems I misread a bit.

Still, I love the idea. However, I would want it extended to game I am not in, so that I can quickly and easily see the results of many games (for the benefit of tournament directors and clan leaders, if nothing else).
Captain n00blet

"Skip this game" in My Games list

Postby PLAYER57832 on Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:32 am

Specifics:
Put in a "skip this game for now" button that shows up when you click "go to next active game", so that if you hit a game you want to skip for a bit, it won't show unless you hit My Games or there are less than 2 hours (4 hours.. even 12hours) left to play the game.

This will improve the following aspects of the site:
I know this was suggested before. I always thought it would be a nice feature, but it never was a HUGE big deal until this new Training program came about. PLEASE move this suggestion up in the priority list!

Now, a lot of people have a real reason to want to skip a game (they are waiting for classroom input).

It is particularly an issue for premiums, who play lots of games. Its a lot quicker to just click on "next game" than to have to hit "My games" each time. Also, I have several times clicked on "begin turn" without thinking ... when I really needed to wait.

The biggest problem is that, by the same token, one could forget a game. This is why I suggested a "timer" feature. I said 2 hours, but for that matter, it could even automatically reset when 12 hours is up. And/or when you log off.

ALSO --- without clicking on the old link, there are LOTS of reasons people might want to skip a game.

Some mentioned have been:
-wanting to play games with little thought or time required before long turns
-wanting to play 2 player (semi-real time perhaps) games before others
-delaying turns because you know someone is on vacation or will have hard time returning and you want to help ensure they don't miss.
-"superstition" (feeling unlucky in a particular game)
-wanting to play freestyle before sequential games
-etc.
Last edited by PLAYER57832 on Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Re: "Skip this game" in My Games list

Postby phantomzero on Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:20 pm

I've often thought about this. This would make playing a bunch of games easier.

I often take turns on my iPhone, but I don't like to take "important" turns, like when there could be a massive trade in, on my phone. I have to keep going to My Games and back.

Great suggestion PLAYER57832.
Sergeant 1st Class phantomzero

Postby neanderpaul14 on Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:00 pm

Excellent idea. I keep thinking this is needed. Quite often I have a turn in a game that I'm thinking deeply about and am not ready to play yet. Therefore I need to keep going back to the my games list while I take easier turns and ferment on the more thoughtful one.
Cook neanderpaul14

Location: "Always mystify, mislead and surprise the enemy if possible." - Thomas J. Jackson

Postby sailorseal on Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:05 pm

This is a excellent suggestion like it has been said, and especially for players wish slow internet
Great one!
Cook sailorseal

Postby ender516 on Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:31 am

If you want to fix a problem properly, you must understand the problem thoroughly. So, permit me for a moment to "think out loud" about the situation that is bothering people here.

You have just ended reinforcement and completed your turn. The "go to next active game" link is now visible. This link in fact takes you to the first game where you are eligible to take your turn as seen on the Active tab of the My Games page. (How freestyle play order affects this, I don't know, I've never tried that option.) If there is no game where it is your turn to play, you are taken to the Active tab of the My Games page. When there is more than one game where it is your turn to play, they are sorted in order of increasing Round Time Remaining.

What you folks see as a problem is that on occasion you want to skip, automatically, one or more games from the top of the list. To get there now, you would have to remember that you don't want the default game, click "My Games" instead, then "Enter Game" next to whichever one you want instead of the first one. That doesn't seem that arduous to me, but if you have slow internet, and by mistake load the game you want to skip, then have to load the My Games page, I suppose it might get annoying.

Now, if beside or below the "go to next active game" link, you could see the information about the game that the link was taking you too, you eliminate selecting a game you don't want. Then you could click straight to "My Games" and choose there. It would likely be best to rename the link to "go to this game". I would think that this wouldn't be too hard to code.

But what if you find merely loading "My Games" too tedious? Then I propose that another widget be added, say, "find subsequent game". Clicking this would find the next game down your list, update the information you could see, and "go to this game" would then apply to that next game. It might even be a good idea to indicate that this was game M of N awaiting your play. Essentially you page (or scroll) through the available games until you find the one you want, then click "go to this game". A "find previous game" widget might be a good idea, too. If the value of M can be preserved through the play of a turn, then when you finish a turn, you will still be skipping the first M - 1 games, just as you did before. You wouldn't need a timer if you recognized that if M is more than 1, then you are skipping a game or games.

Actually, a full set of navigation controls (first , previous, next, last) would be most useful for navigating your list of active games from the point where you have just completed a turn.

Thanks for reading all this. What do you think?
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby PLAYER57832 on Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:15 pm

ender516 wrote:
You have just ended reinforcement and completed your turn. The "go to next active game" link is now visible. This link in fact takes you to the first game where you are eligible to take your turn as seen on the Active tab of the My Games page. (How freestyle play order affects this, I don't know, I've never tried that option.) If there is no game where it is your turn to play, you are taken to the Active tab of the My Games page. When there is more than one game where it is your turn to play, they are sorted in order of increasing Round Time Remaining.

Actually, you sort of misunderstand how it now works. ALL games are sorted by time remaining in round. The "jump" feature just picks the first if you have an active game OR sends you to "my games" if you have none. Freestyle has no effect at all.

I think the easiest "fix" here would simply be to set position by a "dummy" timer (not the display timer or real timer). In other words, normally, the games would be listed by timer order ... plain out. BUT, if "skip" is hit, then the game would be ranked as if the timer were set to 24 hours UNTIL a certain time limit were reached. The display would stay the same.

HOWEVER, I am not a programmer... so there might be better ways to do this.
Last edited by PLAYER57832 on Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby phantomzero on Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:07 pm

ender516 wrote:Then I propose that another widget be added, say, "find subsequent game". Clicking this would find the next game down your list, update the information you could see, and "go to this game" would then apply to that next game.

I think this idea could work without changing the Clocks as PLAYER57832 suggested.

Perhaps there could be 2 links on a game when it is not your turn.

1) jump to your next playable game
2) jump to the game after that (or some other more slick wording)

Or

Beside the Begin turn button on a game where it is your turn, there could be a button that says, jump to your next playable game.
Sergeant 1st Class phantomzero

Postby PLAYER57832 on Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:16 pm

phantomzero wrote:
ender516 wrote:Then I propose that another widget be added, say, "find subsequent game". Clicking this would find the next game down your list, update the information you could see, and "go to this game" would then apply to that next game.

I think this idea could work without changing the Clocks as PLAYER57832 suggested.

Perhaps there could be 2 links on a game when it is not your turn.

1) jump to your next playable game
2) jump to the game after that (or some other more slick wording)

Or

Beside the Begin turn button on a game where it is your turn, there could be a button that says, jump to your next playable game.

But people often want to miss more than one game at a time.

I might not have been clear enough in my explanation above and have edited it. I was not talking about a real timer reset. I was just talking about the coding (something like " if "skip" button is activated AND [real & display clock] < 2 hours, use 24 hours for [place]".)

Also, I am NOT a code writer, so it was just my way of explaining one way to do it ... NOT necessarily the real way to do it.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Re: Multiple games running at the same time..

Postby Bruceswar on Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:26 am

I wonder if this was ever looked into.. still a great idea :)
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

Re: Multiple games running at the same time..

Postby ender516 on Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:37 pm

Here is another topic where a similar discussion is going on. http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=82621
EDIT: Hmm, that link is broken, maybe the topic got moved or merged.
Last edited by ender516 on Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

skip game

Postby Mr_Adams on Fri May 08, 2009 11:29 pm

alows game to be skipped in the list of games, so that when you hit "next playable game" it doesn't take you back to the top.

Specifics:

will allow you to put off a turn until a later time, without having to manual go around it to play the rest of your turns. This would be useful only in freestyle games, but would be much appreciated by those like me with 50 ongoing freestyle escalating. just have to click a tick box "skip game" and the game will be ignored when hitting "next playable game" could have option reset itself every hour or so, and would make playing those long day-by-day games more pleasent.
Captain Mr_Adams

Re: skip game

Postby lgoasklucyl on Fri May 08, 2009 11:45 pm

Would also be beneficial when you have that first game you just want nothing to do with because you KNOW you're going to lose and just dread ending the turn :lol:
Sergeant 1st Class lgoasklucyl

Re: skip game

Postby Thezzaruz on Sat May 09, 2009 3:55 am

Looks just like this suggestion by Brucewar tbh. I suggest moving the discussion there (and/or merging of the threads).

Sounds like a good idea I might add.
Lieutenant Thezzaruz

Go to next game button

Postby neanderpaul14 on Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:09 am

Concise description:
  • Have a "Go to next game" button.

Specifics:
  • Next to the "Begin Turn" button have a "Go to next game" button that will skip over the current game for now and send you one down your games list from the one you are currently on.

This will improve the following aspects of the site:
  • This would prevent people from having to constantly return to the my games page if they come up to games they don't wish to take a turn in at the moment.
  • I believe this would greatly enhance the playability of the site, and probably wouldn't be that hard to implement.
Last edited by neanderpaul14 on Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
High score: 2724
/#163 on scoreboard/COLONEL
Cook neanderpaul14

Location: "Always mystify, mislead and surprise the enemy if possible." - Thomas J. Jackson

PreviousNext

Return to Archived Suggestions