Conquer Club

Adjacent Attacks

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

What do you think about Adjacent Attacks?

I would support this being an option
65%
I would oppose this being an option
26%
I don't care/I don't know yet
10%

Total votes : 454

Re: Adjacent Attacks

Postby n00blet on Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:08 pm

I would vote against it as well, for the exact reasons yeti_c mentioned.

On another note, realmfighter had an excellent suggestion in my opinion: an Adjacent Attacks Tournament.
I think it would be a good way to get lots of new people to play this type of game, and thus build a larger support base for it. I don't know what maps and game settings should be used, but I think it would be really fun (To limit the possibility of cheating, we could say that any player that breaks the AA rules is disqualified, perhaps).
What do you think?
Captain n00blet

Postby yeti_c on Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:09 pm

n00blet wrote:I would vote against it as well, for the exact reasons yeti_c mentioned.

On another note, realmfighter had an excellent suggestion in my opinion: an Adjacent Attacks Tournament.
I think it would be a good way to get lots of new people to play this type of game, and thus build a larger support base for it. I don't know what maps and game settings should be used, but I think it would be really fun (To limit the possibility of cheating, we could say that any player that breaks the AA rules is disqualified, perhaps).
What do you think?

IN.

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby n00blet on Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:14 pm

yeti_c wrote:
n00blet wrote:I would vote against it as well, for the exact reasons yeti_c mentioned.

What do you think?

IN.

C.

:lol:

I've never hosted a Tournament before, so I don't think I should be the one to host it. I think it would attract more people if someone with an established Tournament Directing rep hosted it (and it certainly would run a lot smoother!)
So.....Anyone want to host it? Maybe? :)
Captain n00blet

Postby Ditocoaf on Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:17 pm

n00blet wrote:
yeti_c wrote:

What do you think?

IN.

C.

:lol:

I've never hosted a Tournament before, so I don't think I should be the one to host it. I think it would attract more people if someone with an established Tournament Directing rep hosted it (and it certainly would run a lot smoother!)

I'm already in the middle of hosting my first tournament. It's really not hard, at all. Try it!

>----------✪ Try to take down the champion in the continuous IPW/GIL tournament! ✪----------<

Note to self: THINK LESS LIVE MORE
Private 1st Class Ditocoaf

Postby n00blet on Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:20 pm

Ditocoaf wrote:I'm already in the middle of hosting my first tournament. It's really not hard, at all. Try it!

I'll give the handbook a look-see. If no one more experienced expresses interest in the next few days, I might make it myself :shock:
Captain n00blet

Postby yeti_c on Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:21 pm

Ditocoaf wrote:
n00blet wrote: :lol:

I'm already in the middle of hosting my first tournament. It's really not hard, at all. Try it!

I'm currently hosting 2 so wouldn't want to add another one - especially as the C4 tourney is very hectic!!

But like DC says - it's mega easy...

The one thing I will say is - I would make sure that everyone posts that they understood the rules - and the punishment for breaking them... if any game is broken in - the breaker gets booted - and the game gets replayed without them...

Tourney minimum is 16 players... so if you're worried about running a tourney - only make a 16 big one...

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby yeti_c on Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:22 pm

n00blet wrote:
Ditocoaf wrote:I'm already in the middle of hosting my first tournament. It's really not hard, at all. Try it!

I'll give the handbook a look-see. If no one more experienced expresses interest in the next few days, I might make it myself :shock:

And if you do - my name goes onto the list!!

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby lancehoch on Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:51 pm

I would help out running a tournament. If you are doing it in the main Tournament Forum, you should link to this thread and make a post in here detailing the exact rules as we have discussed them.
Sergeant lancehoch

Postby Ditocoaf on Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:54 pm

ooh! and also link to my post explaining why AA is so very awesome!

Aslo,

add me to the "in," whoever ends up running this.

>----------✪ Try to take down the champion in the continuous IPW/GIL tournament! ✪----------<

Postby yeti_c on Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:03 pm

Looks like you have a quarter of the necessary signups already - of course - the idea was to get it out to the public - not the core fans already!!

PLEASE - make sure it's not a 1 game you lose your out tourney... I'm loving this new style so much I just want to keep playing it!!

To me - this and FOW are the biggest changes to the other game that we never mention that I've seen so far - not only are they ever so simple - but they're muchos funos...

Imagine... FOW - AA - Infected Neutrals... Awesome - CC PLEASE!

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby denominator on Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:15 pm

I would also be in said tournament.

You would have to be very explicit in explaining the rules, and there would be tricky issues with making everybody follow the rules. I would suggest everybody gets one warning - then disqualification. It would take a lot of work to make sure everybody didn't cheat though.
Sergeant 1st Class denominator

Postby n00blet on Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:04 pm

denominator wrote:I would also be in said tournament.

You would have to be very explicit in explaining the rules, and there would be tricky issues with making everybody follow the rules. I would suggest everybody gets one warning - then disqualification. It would take a lot of work to make sure everybody didn't cheat though.

I think one warning and then disqualification is a good idea. Although, a truly ruthless player could wait until the finals and then use their "warning" to clean up :? . Maybe we should say that if they win the game because of that move, the game is redone? Although it's hard to tell sometimes when exactly the game turns around. If it's a clear-cut case then I suppose a warning and game redo would be fair.

I think the best way to make sure people aren't cheating would be to have anyone post in the tournament thread that one of the players accidentally attacked too far, and then post in the game chat as well so one of the directors could check it out and deal with it accordingly.

yeti_c wrote:PLEASE - make sure it's not a 1 game you lose your out tourney... I'm loving this new style so much I just want to keep playing it!!

I'm thinking double elimination, or maybe mini-leagues of 4 with the top two advancing.

yeti_c wrote:To me - this and FOW are the biggest changes to the other game that we never mention that I've seen so far - not only are they ever so simple - but they're muchos funos...

Imagine... FOW - AA - Infected Neutrals... Awesome - CC PLEASE!

C.

Oh man.....A Foggy Adjacent Attacks game with Infected Neutrals.....that would be insane....

lancehoch wrote:I would help out running a tournament. If you are doing it in the main Tournament Forum, you should link to this thread and make a post in here detailing the exact rules as we have discussed them.

Sweet! I'll pm you about organizing it if I end up doing it :)
Captain n00blet

Postby denominator on Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:21 pm

n00blet wrote:[Oh man.....A Foggy Adjacent Attacks game with Infected Neutrals.....that would be insane....

How would you program the infected neutrals stop after one attack?
Sergeant 1st Class denominator

Postby lancehoch on Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:52 pm

denominator wrote:
n00blet wrote:[Oh man.....A Foggy Adjacent Attacks game with Infected Neutrals.....that would be insane....

You warn them once and then kick them out.
Sergeant lancehoch

Postby Ditocoaf on Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:35 am

lancehoch wrote:
denominator wrote:

You warn them once and then kick them out.

Well, at the point in their assault that it lists the territories that can attack, prevent it from listing the territories that are ruled out by AA.

n00blet wrote:I think one warning and then disqualification is a good idea. Although, a truly ruthless player could wait until the finals and then use their "warning" to clean up :? . Maybe we should say that if they win the game because of that move, the game is redone? Although it's hard to tell sometimes when exactly the game turns around. If it's a clear-cut case then I suppose a warning and game redo would be fair.
I think rather that they should have one warning in round 1, and if they make it through the first round, then its assumed that they know how to play. People will have to be extra careful if there's no warnings, sure, but I think removing that cushion after the first game will be the best way to prevent the most mistakes.

Postby yeti_c on Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:26 am

denominator wrote:

That should be easy enough.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby walnutwatson on Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:46 am

I've played this style of play on a board game (mentioning no names) and it makes a nice change. Slow games but lots of new strategies involved. I say go for it.
Lieutenant walnutwatson

Postby n00blet on Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:51 am

Yaaaaay support! :D

\:D/ \:D/ \:D/

I'll probably start setting up the Tournament when I get home from work today. Look for the thread sometime tonight (no promises ;))
Captain n00blet

Postby sully800 on Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:10 pm

I'd also make a distinction between two breakages of the rules. I broke the rules twice accidentally by picking the wrong country from a drop down list. This should not be allowed in the future or go unpunished (because I'm not saying I was faultless) but in both instances I could have made a legal attack and made a mistake. If AA was a real feature that mistake could not have happened.

On the other hand there were at least two instances of a chain of illegal attacks. I think that they were both because the person did not realize which game was AA. However, this should be a highly punishable offense in the tourney - one warning and you are done. This type of mistake can absolutely change the outcome of the game, on any card setting.

I would be interested in the tournament by the way. Let's play it on a map with "standard" gameplay but not a very common map. That way the chance of people mixing up the AA games with one of their regular games is minimized. I would otherwise suggest classic, but instead we could do any standard map like Europe or Phillippines
Major sully800

Postby lancehoch on Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:39 pm

Philippines sounds good.
Sergeant lancehoch

Postby SuicidalSnowman on Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:31 pm

I would sign up for that Tournament.
Private SuicidalSnowman

Postby n00blet on Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:58 pm

Just so there's no doubt, there will be an Adjacent Attacks Tournament set up sometime very soon. Lancehoch and I are currently figuring out exactly what the settings of the tournament are going to be.

On another note, so far 8 people have said that they would oppose the idea being implemented as an option since the poll was reset. However, I haven't seen any arguments against it since that same time. If you voted no, would you be so kind as to explain your reasoning?

That's all folks :)
Captain n00blet

Postby n00blet on Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:50 am

Hello, one and all, and welcome to the first ever official

Adjacent Attacks Tournament!
Your gracious hosts: n00blet and lancehoch

This Tournament is based on the Adjacent Attacks rule set, as is defined and discussed in this thread: http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=51364
These rules are as follows:
Newly conquered countries cannot attack for the duration of the turn they are conquered on.
For example, if lancehoch conquers Country A from n00blet in Round 4, then Country A cannot make any attacks until Round 5.
In the event of mid-turn spoils-cashing, the troops received can be deployed on any regions as normal, but all regions are still restricted as they were at the beginning of the round.

Of course, these rules will not be upheld by the game engine itself. Each player who signs up for this tournament is required to limit their attacks to conform to the aforementioned rules for the entirety of every game played for the tournament. Any rules violation at any point in any game will result in the player automatically receiving 0 points for the game.

Each game log will be inspected by either myself or lancehoch, so do not try and break the rules when no one is looking [-X
Any player in any game that sees another player has broken the rules should post in the tournament thread, specifying the player, game, and round the infraction occurred. This will aid in our inspections, as these games tend to last a little bit longer than the average 4-player.
For the final round, any games with Fog enabled will be completely inspected at the conclusion of the game, and if any infractions are found, the game will be redone as a 3-player with the offending player removed.

This tournament will consist of 16 players, separated into 4 equally sized groups. Each round, every group will play 4 4-player games. The scoring for each game will be as follows:

1st Place: 4 points
2nd Place: 2 points
3rd Place: 1 point

At the end of each round (after all 4 games have been completed), each player's score will be tallied, and the top two players from each group will advance to the next round. In the case of a tie, the following tiebreakers will be used, in this order: most wins, most eliminations, least amount of rounds taken to win.
Each round will be played 2 games at a time, so Freemium members may join, as long as they leave 2 spots open for this tournament.

For every game played in the first two rounds, the set settings will be:

Sequential
No Fog

Each player chooses the map, card, and fortification settings for their one game pick. These decisions will then be the 4 games played by the group in that round. The settings can be changed or left the same between rounds.

However, for the final (third) round, players will also have the option of choosing if they would like to have Fog of War on or not.

Good Luck!
Last edited by n00blet on Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captain n00blet

Postby n00blet on Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:50 am

The previous post is the first version of the introductory post to the AA Tournament. Any comments are appreciated, but do not sign up in this thread. As soon as the Tournament thread has been made, kindly reply to that thread with your chosen settings and such :)

Woohoooooo :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
This has come a ways since back in June when it wouldn't get a reply for weeks on end [/nostalgia] :lol:
Captain n00blet

Postby Geger on Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:20 am

A question about the map : Can we limit to 'simple' maps only?
I like to join, but I don't like 'complex' maps like Prison Riot, Waterloo, AoR, etc
Major Geger

PreviousNext

Return to Archived Suggestions