Adjacent Attacks

Suggestions that have made it through the grind, and have become integrated into the site!

Moderators: Suggestions Team, Global Moderators

What do you think about Adjacent Attacks?

I would support this being an option
65%
I would oppose this being an option
26%
I don't care/I don't know yet
9%

Total votes : 453

Re: Adjacent Attacks

Postby Thezzaruz on Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:43 am

sully800 wrote:I would like to see a high ranking adjacent attack game just to make sure it doesn't turn into a protective stale mate.

Don't they already do that more often than not???
Lieutenant Thezzaruz

Medals: 8
Standard Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (2)

Postby Geger on Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:25 pm

I like the idea. With fog it will be a perfect combination : you can capture a region only, if you see it at the beginning of your turn !! :mrgreen:
Brigadier Geger

Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Polymorphic Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby OliverFA on Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:57 pm

Geger wrote:I like the idea. With fog it will be a perfect combination : you can capture a region only, if you see it at the beginning of your turn !! :mrgreen:

That is an alternative definition, and fits the suggestion!
Welcoming the long awaited Trench Warfare Setting (Previously Adjacent Attacks).

My Maps:
Research and Conquer - Civilization meets Conquer Club

Best score: 2,346 - Best position: #618 - Best percentile: 4.87%
Corporal 1st Class OliverFA

Medals: 32
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1)
Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1)
Clan Achievement (3) Training Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (5)

Postby sully800 on Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:23 pm

Thezzaruz wrote:
sully800 wrote:I would like to see a high ranking adjacent attack game just to make sure it doesn't turn into a protective stale mate.

Don't they already do that more often than not???

High ranking games currently involve a lot of protection. Such protection is not needed in AA and would cause a stale mate. I would like to see a few high ranking AA games to make sure the tactics don't play out like normal to create an unbreakable build situation.
Major sully800

Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (3) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

Postby yeti_c on Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:45 am

OliverFA wrote:
Geger wrote:I like the idea. With fog it will be a perfect combination : you can capture a region only, if you see it at the beginning of your turn !! :mrgreen:

I hadn't thought about Fog - sadly it's a lot harder to "test" with - because it would be possible to cheat a lot easier!!

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Medals: 46
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (13) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (10)

Postby lancehoch on Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:23 pm

OliverFA wrote:

Not exactly...If I own Norway and Lower Canada on World 2.1 I can see both Greenland and Iceland. Does that mean that I can attack Greenland and then Iceland from Lower Canada, not under the current rules, but under the new suggestion it would be allowed.
Lieutenant lancehoch

Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)
Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (4)

Postby Ditocoaf on Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:42 pm

lancehoch wrote:
OliverFA wrote:

Not exactly...If I own Norway and Lower Canada on World 2.1 I can see both Greenland and Iceland. Does that mean that I can attack Greenland and then Iceland from Lower Canada, not under the current rules, but under the new suggestion it would be allowed.

True... but his description is close, and makes sense. In fact, if you were playing Fog of War, the only territs you could attack would be those that you can see at the beginning of your turn. He doesn't say that you can always attack them, just that they're the only ones you can attack.

>----------✪ Try to take down the champion in the continuous IPW/GIL tournament! ✪----------<

Note to self: THINK LESS LIVE MORE
Private 1st Class Ditocoaf

Medals: 2
Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1)

Postby OliverFA on Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:58 pm

lancehoch wrote:
OliverFA wrote:

You are right Lancehoch. The FoW description misses an important part of the proposal. The one that says that a player cannot attack from newly conquered territories. Then better to come back to the original description.
Welcoming the long awaited Trench Warfare Setting (Previously Adjacent Attacks).

My Maps:
Research and Conquer - Civilization meets Conquer Club

Best score: 2,346 - Best position: #618 - Best percentile: 4.87%
Corporal 1st Class OliverFA

Medals: 32
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1)
Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1)
Clan Achievement (3) Training Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (5)

Postby Geger on Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:47 pm

Agree!! Back to original description.

I just wanted to say, that a game with adjacent attack + fog can be an interesting game. You are right that we can't test it. Also we must wait 'til this suggestion will be implemented :)
Brigadier Geger

Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Polymorphic Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby lancehoch on Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:56 pm

Geger wrote:Agree!! Back to original description.

I just wanted to say, that a game with adjacent attack + fog can be an interesting game. You are right that we can't test it. Also we must wait 'til this suggestion will be implemented :)

Why can it not be tested? Just ask someone to set it up. I am sure that Oliver and a few of the others would be more than willing to test out a few more options.
Lieutenant lancehoch

Standard Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)

Postby yeti_c on Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:38 pm

lancehoch wrote:
Geger wrote:Agree!! Back to original description.

Why can it not be tested? Just ask someone to set it up. I am sure that Oliver and a few of the others would be more than willing to test out a few more options.

Mainly cos it's a lot harder to ensure the game is following the rules...

However - I would be up for testing that anyways.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (13) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (10)

Postby lancehoch on Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:44 pm

yeti_c wrote:Mainly cos it's a lot harder to ensure the game is following the rules...

C.

Good point, I hadn't thought about that. Although, the two games I played (at least until I was eliminated) I did not see anyone make any mistakes. Also, hopefully people would not be intentionally taking advantage of the situation since it is an attempt to try out a new setting.
Lieutenant lancehoch

Postby Ditocoaf on Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:18 pm

lancehoch wrote:
yeti_c wrote:Mainly cos it's a lot harder to ensure the game is following the rules...

C.

Good point, I hadn't thought about that. Although, the two games I played (at least until I was eliminated) I did not see anyone make any mistakes. Also, hopefully people would not be intentionally taking advantage of the situation since it is an attempt to try out a new setting.

Yeah, you'd have to be quite the douchebag to see this test as just an opportunity to earn some easy(er) points.

>----------✪ Try to take down the champion in the continuous IPW/GIL tournament! ✪----------<

Postby yeti_c on Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:30 pm

Agreed!!

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby denominator on Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:18 pm

I really like this concept. I got the privilege of playing in one of the test games for these, and so far I've really enjoyed it.

What I like is that you really need to watch everyone else's moves closely and plan out your deployments and advancements very carefully. It's really easy to get your armies spread out and be unable to defend yourself.

I would be interested to see this on a map with no "free" bonuses. The classic map has the Oceania bonus, which, if you get it in an AA game, is a great stronghold, and you can build out into Asia really easily (yes, I know that's not actually the "continent" names anymore, but I haven't bothered to learn the new ones and everybody knows what I'm talking about). Something like Germany, where there are no small bonuses to grab early and dominate from.

Plus, I think this would work better with the No Cards option. That burst of troops at the right time from cards is way more of a momentum swing in this than in regular games.
Lieutenant denominator
Beta Team Member
Beta Team Member

Medals: 73
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (11) General Achievement (7)
Clan Achievement (4) Challenge Achievement (2)

Postby Ditocoaf on Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:23 pm

denominator wrote:Plus, I think this would work better with the No Cards option. That burst of troops at the right time from cards is way more of a momentum swing in this than in regular games.

Definitely. The escalating game we played turned out to be a lot of fun, but Sully went from last place to first in a single cash... because he had a few key territories in the center of asia, from which he could conquer most of the continent in a turn.

So the number of borders a territ has becomes really important: if it has a lot, then you can expand much more quickly. If it has only a few, then it's easier to defend. This sounds like it should be natural, but it doesn't really work like that with unlimited attacks.

Postby sully800 on Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:17 pm

Ditocoaf wrote:
denominator wrote:Plus, I think this would work better with the No Cards option. That burst of troops at the right time from cards is way more of a momentum swing in this than in regular games.

Definitely. The escalating game we played turned out to be a lot of fun, but Sully went from last place to first in a single cash... because he had a few key territories in the center of asia, from which he could conquer most of the continent in a turn.

So the number of borders a territ has becomes really important: if it has a lot, then you can expand much more quickly. If it has only a few, then it's easier to defend. This sounds like it should be natural, but it doesn't really work like that with unlimited attacks.

I was possibly in last place, its hard to say because the armies fluctuated so much every three rounds. But the reason I went into first place was because I killed someone else. I don't remember the details without looking, but someone killed a few of pink's territories and essentially hung him for me. Then I end up with a double cash and lots of territories which is hard to defeat.

So its the same as any escalating game: Multiple cash ins can be very important. However unlike most escalating games its very easy to protect other players and realize when someone is in danger.
Major sully800

Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (3) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

Postby n00blet on Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:48 pm

sully800 wrote:
Ditocoaf wrote:

I was possibly in last place, its hard to say because the armies fluctuated so much every three rounds. But the reason I went into first place was because I killed someone else. I don't remember the details without looking, but someone killed a few of pink's territories and essentially hung him for me. Then I end up with a double cash and lots of territories which is hard to defeat.

So its the same as any escalating game: Multiple cash ins can be very important. However unlike most escalating games its very easy to protect other players and realize when someone is in danger.

I know I would play a lot more escalating games (with AA) if it was implemented, to be sure. It was definitely the most interesting of the games we've played with AA so far.
Captain n00blet

Medals: 22
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
General Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (1)

Postby Ditocoaf on Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:44 am

Would anybody be interested in trying this out on another one of the very popular maps? I'm thinking it'd be nice to experiment with feudal war this way. I personally predict it'll be a lot of fun...

I'm thinking sunny/flatrate. I'd also like to try out something other than adjacent reinforcements, just for the hell of it... would unlimited be okay?

Postby n00blet on Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:05 am

Yeah...I was thinking of going into the other maps/fortification settings to see what would happen. Feudal would be perfect.

Annnnnddddd.....it's up: Game 3695712.

Join up! :)

(as always, if you haven't played any AA games before, please pm me and I will send you the password for these type of games)
Captain n00blet

Medals: 22
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
General Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (1)

Postby yeti_c on Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:37 am

n00blet wrote:Yeah...I was thinking of going into the other maps/fortification settings to see what would happen. Feudal would be perfect.

Annnnnddddd.....it's up: Game 3695712.

Join up! :)

(as always, if you haven't played any AA games before, please pm me and I will send you the password for these type of games)

IN IN AAAAAAAAAANNNNNNDDDDD IN!!!

Feudal on AA is gonna take months - but it's gonna be ace!!

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby Ditocoaf on Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:08 am

yeti_c wrote:IN IN AAAAAAAAAANNNNNNDDDDD IN!!!

C.

I think we should always refer to Feudal AA as "überchess" in the future.

Postby yeti_c on Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:10 am

Ditocoaf wrote:
yeti_c wrote:IN IN AAAAAAAAAANNNNNNDDDDD IN!!!

C.

I think we should always refer to Feudal AA as "überchess" in the future.

He he he - I like it!!

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby SuicidalSnowman on Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:15 pm

Hope you don't mind, but I decided to crash your guys party (but play by your rules)
Private SuicidalSnowman

Medals: 28
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)
Clan Achievement (1) Training Achievement (1) General Contribution (1)

Postby Ditocoaf on Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:19 pm

SuicidalSnowman wrote:Hope you don't mind, but I decided to crash your guys party (but play by your rules)

Of course we don't mind. But are you implying you didn't PM nooblet? How did you get the pass?

PreviousNext

Return to Implemented Suggestions