Adjacent Attacks

Suggestions that have made it through the grind, and have become integrated into the site!

Moderators: Suggestions Team, Global Moderators

What do you think about Adjacent Attacks?

I would support this being an option
65%
I would oppose this being an option
26%
I don't care/I don't know yet
9%

Total votes : 453

Re: Adjacent Attacks

Postby n00blet on Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:08 pm

I would vote against it as well, for the exact reasons yeti_c mentioned.

On another note, realmfighter had an excellent suggestion in my opinion: an Adjacent Attacks Tournament.
I think it would be a good way to get lots of new people to play this type of game, and thus build a larger support base for it. I don't know what maps and game settings should be used, but I think it would be really fun (To limit the possibility of cheating, we could say that any player that breaks the AA rules is disqualified, perhaps).
What do you think?
Captain n00blet

Medals: 22
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
General Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (1)

Postby yeti_c on Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:09 pm

n00blet wrote:I would vote against it as well, for the exact reasons yeti_c mentioned.

On another note, realmfighter had an excellent suggestion in my opinion: an Adjacent Attacks Tournament.
I think it would be a good way to get lots of new people to play this type of game, and thus build a larger support base for it. I don't know what maps and game settings should be used, but I think it would be really fun (To limit the possibility of cheating, we could say that any player that breaks the AA rules is disqualified, perhaps).
What do you think?

IN.

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Medals: 46
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (13) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (10)

Postby n00blet on Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:14 pm

yeti_c wrote:
n00blet wrote:I would vote against it as well, for the exact reasons yeti_c mentioned.

What do you think?

IN.

C.

:lol:

I've never hosted a Tournament before, so I don't think I should be the one to host it. I think it would attract more people if someone with an established Tournament Directing rep hosted it (and it certainly would run a lot smoother!)
So.....Anyone want to host it? Maybe? :)
Captain n00blet

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2)

Postby Ditocoaf on Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:17 pm

n00blet wrote:
yeti_c wrote:

What do you think?

IN.

C.

:lol:

I've never hosted a Tournament before, so I don't think I should be the one to host it. I think it would attract more people if someone with an established Tournament Directing rep hosted it (and it certainly would run a lot smoother!)

I'm already in the middle of hosting my first tournament. It's really not hard, at all. Try it!

>----------✪ Try to take down the champion in the continuous IPW/GIL tournament! ✪----------<

Note to self: THINK LESS LIVE MORE
Private 1st Class Ditocoaf

Medals: 2
Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1)

Postby n00blet on Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:20 pm

Ditocoaf wrote:I'm already in the middle of hosting my first tournament. It's really not hard, at all. Try it!

I'll give the handbook a look-see. If no one more experienced expresses interest in the next few days, I might make it myself :shock:
Captain n00blet

Postby yeti_c on Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:21 pm

Ditocoaf wrote:
n00blet wrote: :lol:

I'm already in the middle of hosting my first tournament. It's really not hard, at all. Try it!

I'm currently hosting 2 so wouldn't want to add another one - especially as the C4 tourney is very hectic!!

But like DC says - it's mega easy...

The one thing I will say is - I would make sure that everyone posts that they understood the rules - and the punishment for breaking them... if any game is broken in - the breaker gets booted - and the game gets replayed without them...

Tourney minimum is 16 players... so if you're worried about running a tourney - only make a 16 big one...

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (13) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (10)

Postby yeti_c on Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:22 pm

n00blet wrote:
Ditocoaf wrote:I'm already in the middle of hosting my first tournament. It's really not hard, at all. Try it!

I'll give the handbook a look-see. If no one more experienced expresses interest in the next few days, I might make it myself :shock:

And if you do - my name goes onto the list!!

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby lancehoch on Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:51 pm

I would help out running a tournament. If you are doing it in the main Tournament Forum, you should link to this thread and make a post in here detailing the exact rules as we have discussed them.
Lieutenant lancehoch

Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)
Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (4)

Postby Ditocoaf on Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:54 pm

ooh! and also link to my post explaining why AA is so very awesome!

Aslo,

add me to the "in," whoever ends up running this.

>----------✪ Try to take down the champion in the continuous IPW/GIL tournament! ✪----------<

Postby yeti_c on Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:03 pm

Looks like you have a quarter of the necessary signups already - of course - the idea was to get it out to the public - not the core fans already!!

PLEASE - make sure it's not a 1 game you lose your out tourney... I'm loving this new style so much I just want to keep playing it!!

To me - this and FOW are the biggest changes to the other game that we never mention that I've seen so far - not only are they ever so simple - but they're muchos funos...

Imagine... FOW - AA - Infected Neutrals... Awesome - CC PLEASE!

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby denominator on Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:15 pm

I would also be in said tournament.

You would have to be very explicit in explaining the rules, and there would be tricky issues with making everybody follow the rules. I would suggest everybody gets one warning - then disqualification. It would take a lot of work to make sure everybody didn't cheat though.
Major denominator

Medals: 69
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (4)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (11) General Achievement (7) Clan Achievement (4)
Challenge Achievement (2)

Postby n00blet on Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:04 pm

denominator wrote:I would also be in said tournament.

You would have to be very explicit in explaining the rules, and there would be tricky issues with making everybody follow the rules. I would suggest everybody gets one warning - then disqualification. It would take a lot of work to make sure everybody didn't cheat though.

I think one warning and then disqualification is a good idea. Although, a truly ruthless player could wait until the finals and then use their "warning" to clean up :? . Maybe we should say that if they win the game because of that move, the game is redone? Although it's hard to tell sometimes when exactly the game turns around. If it's a clear-cut case then I suppose a warning and game redo would be fair.

I think the best way to make sure people aren't cheating would be to have anyone post in the tournament thread that one of the players accidentally attacked too far, and then post in the game chat as well so one of the directors could check it out and deal with it accordingly.

yeti_c wrote:PLEASE - make sure it's not a 1 game you lose your out tourney... I'm loving this new style so much I just want to keep playing it!!

I'm thinking double elimination, or maybe mini-leagues of 4 with the top two advancing.

yeti_c wrote:To me - this and FOW are the biggest changes to the other game that we never mention that I've seen so far - not only are they ever so simple - but they're muchos funos...

Imagine... FOW - AA - Infected Neutrals... Awesome - CC PLEASE!

C.

Oh man.....A Foggy Adjacent Attacks game with Infected Neutrals.....that would be insane....

lancehoch wrote:I would help out running a tournament. If you are doing it in the main Tournament Forum, you should link to this thread and make a post in here detailing the exact rules as we have discussed them.

Sweet! I'll pm you about organizing it if I end up doing it :)
Captain n00blet

Postby denominator on Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:21 pm

n00blet wrote:[Oh man.....A Foggy Adjacent Attacks game with Infected Neutrals.....that would be insane....

How would you program the infected neutrals stop after one attack?
Major denominator

Medals: 69
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (4)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (11) General Achievement (7) Clan Achievement (4)
Challenge Achievement (2)

Postby lancehoch on Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:52 pm

denominator wrote:
n00blet wrote:[Oh man.....A Foggy Adjacent Attacks game with Infected Neutrals.....that would be insane....

You warn them once and then kick them out.
Lieutenant lancehoch

Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)
Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (4)

Postby Ditocoaf on Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:35 am

lancehoch wrote:
denominator wrote:

You warn them once and then kick them out.

Well, at the point in their assault that it lists the territories that can attack, prevent it from listing the territories that are ruled out by AA.

n00blet wrote:I think one warning and then disqualification is a good idea. Although, a truly ruthless player could wait until the finals and then use their "warning" to clean up :? . Maybe we should say that if they win the game because of that move, the game is redone? Although it's hard to tell sometimes when exactly the game turns around. If it's a clear-cut case then I suppose a warning and game redo would be fair.
I think rather that they should have one warning in round 1, and if they make it through the first round, then its assumed that they know how to play. People will have to be extra careful if there's no warnings, sure, but I think removing that cushion after the first game will be the best way to prevent the most mistakes.

PreviousNext

Return to Implemented Suggestions