Fortification dropdowns (merged) [Done]

Suggestions that have made it through the grind, and have become integrated into the site!

Moderators: Suggestions Team, Global Moderators

Re: Fortification dropdowns (merged) [Done]

Postby moo_biatch on Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:55 pm

It was moved for flow reasons. If the # box was on the left still, people would select a # of troops, then select the place to take them from and the the # box would reset. That causes an extra step.
Corporal 1st Class moo_biatch
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:09 pm
Location: Noblesvile, Indiana, USA
Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2)

Re: Fortificateing Suggestion.

Postby Orwell on Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:40 pm

I think most would understand after a few games, and it isint that hard to understand. But a other way of doing it is to set it as Filter on control panel: From Easy Fortifcateing [v] to Moderate For...[x]

An option would be great. Not because the new arrangement is hard understand - but because it is completely illogical.
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." - Samuel Beckett, Worstward Ho
User avatar
Captain Orwell
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:35 pm
Location: Tacoma, WA
Medals: 25
Standard Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Beta Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (4)

Re: Fortification dropdowns (merged) [Done]

Postby yeti_c on Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:23 pm

tobinov wrote:Max forts as default is fine.

Moving the dropdown box was a mistake:
"Reinforce from (A) to (B) (#) troops" is awkward to say the least
whereas
"Reinforce (#) troops from (A) to (B)" is clear.

If a change in the order is important, I suggest:
"(A) sends (#) troops to reinforce (B)"


This one.

C.
Image
Highest score : 2297
User avatar
Lieutenant yeti_c
 
Posts: 9670
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:02 am
Medals: 46
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (13) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (10)

Re: Fortification dropdowns (merged) [Done]

Postby cougarfoxtrot on Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:41 pm

Can't stand this change...the logic is counterintuitive
User avatar
Lieutenant cougarfoxtrot
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:25 pm
Medals: 17
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (2)

Re: Fortification dropdowns (merged) [Done]

Postby owenshooter on Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:39 pm

Thezzaruz wrote:It just feels strange because you're not used to it and thus is forming the sentence based on the old system and not on your actual thought process, I think we all can agree that the first choice we make is "from where" and then consider "how many". And this change actually makes it more intuitive now IMO.

no, it feels strange because it is counter intuitive and illogical. never in my life has my first choice been to thing "from where" and then to consider "how many". it is always "how many" and then "from where". now, if you are german, i will agree with you, just based on the language structure used in deutschland. other than that, no way this is more intuitive. again, as many others have said, it is counter intuitive and just upsets the flow of the game when you switch to fortifying. makes no sense to attack and then re-enforce in 2 seperate ways. zero sense... the black jesus has spoken...-0
Image
Brett loves Christy Green!!!!
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class owenshooter
 
Posts: 8394
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:01 pm
Location: Deep in the Heart of Tx
Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (2)

Reverse Polish Notation

Postby kmhebert on Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:51 pm

Heh some like it but some don't. Can't this be optional?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_Polish_notation
Image
User avatar
Captain kmhebert
 
Posts: 429
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:13 pm
Location: Brimfield Massachusetts USA
Medals: 69
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (2)
Clan Achievement (17)

Re: Reverse Polish Notation

Postby owenshooter on Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:09 pm

kmhebert wrote:Heh some like it but some don't. Can't this be optional?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_Polish_notation

i knew it had to have some sort of connection to the polish!!! thanks for the link!!! it explains this entire new thought process i have embarked upon learning in the latter stages of my advanced years... you can teach an old dog new tricks, it just takes a really long time... the black jesus still hates this change...-0
Image
Brett loves Christy Green!!!!
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class owenshooter
 
Posts: 8394
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:01 pm
Location: Deep in the Heart of Tx
Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (2)

Re: Fortification dropdowns (merged) [Done]

Postby agostino on Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:42 am

i love it, this is the best upgrade ever. it saves a lot of hassle when reinforcing.
Corporal agostino
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:41 am
Medals: 2
Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1)

Re: Fortification dropdowns (merged) [Done]

Postby psychobkrazy on Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:13 am

I like the change.
Image
PM me with "Tournament Invite List" in the Subject to get on my Invite List.
Highest Rank: 3070 Image Brigadier - #70 (page 1) - 61% Won - 01/02/2011
The Sigatar Lounge
User avatar
Major psychobkrazy
 
Posts: 815
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:03 am
Location: near Detroit
Medals: 109
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (4)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (6) General Achievement (5) Clan Achievement (14)
Tournament Contribution (31) General Contribution (1)

Re: Fortification dropdowns (merged) [Done]

Postby jbrettlip on Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:25 am

My turns keep timing out. I blame this change.
Image
nothing wrong with a little bit of man on dog love.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class jbrettlip
 
Posts: 1175
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:30 pm
Location: Ft. Worth, TX
Medals: 28
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (2)
Clan Achievement (2)

Re: Fortification dropdowns (merged) [Done]

Postby sully800 on Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:52 am

owenshooter wrote:
Thezzaruz wrote:It just feels strange because you're not used to it and thus is forming the sentence based on the old system and not on your actual thought process, I think we all can agree that the first choice we make is "from where" and then consider "how many". And this change actually makes it more intuitive now IMO.

no, it feels strange because it is counter intuitive and illogical. never in my life has my first choice been to thing "from where" and then to consider "how many". it is always "how many" and then "from where". now, if you are german, i will agree with you, just based on the language structure used in deutschland. other than that, no way this is more intuitive. again, as many others have said, it is counter intuitive and just upsets the flow of the game when you switch to fortifying. makes no sense to attack and then re-enforce in 2 seperate ways. zero sense... the black jesus has spoken...-0


I understand that its the way you form the sentence, which is partially because you've always done it that way....and partially because the current reinforcement sentence is much more awkward.

BUT think about how you actually conduct reinforcement. First you have to scan the map to find where the armies exist. Only then can you determine how many armies to move. Now the drop downs do the exact same thing, which is why the logic makes sense. I know the sentence structure is awkward and counter intuitive but I think we will get used to it.
User avatar
Major sully800
 
Posts: 4999
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:45 pm
Location: Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (3) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

Re: Fortification dropdowns (merged) [Done]

Postby lancehoch on Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:27 pm

sully800 wrote:I understand that its the way you form the sentence, which is partially because you've always done it that way....and partially because the current reinforcement sentence is much more awkward.

BUT think about how you actually conduct reinforcement. First you have to scan the map to find where the armies exist. Only then can you determine how many armies to move. Now the drop downs do the exact same thing, which is why the logic makes sense. I know the sentence structure is awkward and counter intuitive but I think we will get used to it.

Then should it be {From} {#} {To}? So the sentence structure would be "From Florida, fortify 10 troops to Georgia" (for the USA map).
Lieutenant lancehoch
 
Posts: 4158
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:13 pm
Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)
Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (4)

Re: Fortification dropdowns (merged) [Done]

Postby owenshooter on Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:51 pm

lancehoch wrote:
sully800 wrote:I understand that its the way you form the sentence, which is partially because you've always done it that way....and partially because the current reinforcement sentence is much more awkward.

BUT think about how you actually conduct reinforcement. First you have to scan the map to find where the armies exist. Only then can you determine how many armies to move. Now the drop downs do the exact same thing, which is why the logic makes sense. I know the sentence structure is awkward and counter intuitive but I think we will get used to it.

Then should it be {From} {#} {To}? So the sentence structure would be "From Florida, fortify 10 troops to Georgia" (for the USA map).

i'd even settle for lance's response. even that is more intuitive than what is going on now. to attack and reinforce 2 totally different ways, just makes very little sense... -0
Image
Brett loves Christy Green!!!!
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class owenshooter
 
Posts: 8394
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:01 pm
Location: Deep in the Heart of Tx
Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (2)

Re: Fortification dropdowns (merged) [Done]

Postby MoB Deadly on Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:10 pm

owenshooter wrote:
lancehoch wrote:
sully800 wrote:I understand that its the way you form the sentence, which is partially because you've always done it that way....and partially because the current reinforcement sentence is much more awkward.

BUT think about how you actually conduct reinforcement. First you have to scan the map to find where the armies exist. Only then can you determine how many armies to move. Now the drop downs do the exact same thing, which is why the logic makes sense. I know the sentence structure is awkward and counter intuitive but I think we will get used to it.

Then should it be {From} {#} {To}? So the sentence structure would be "From Florida, fortify 10 troops to Georgia" (for the USA map).

i'd even settle for lance's response. even that is more intuitive than what is going on now. to attack and reinforce 2 totally different ways, just makes very little sense... -0



I just wanna say I love how the box automatically sets to the max number of troops, but yeah I agree with most people that the order of the boxes now feel uncomfortable, I still have to check my fortification like 3 times to make sure its exactly what I want
User avatar
Major MoB Deadly
 
Posts: 2288
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:07 am
Location: Allentown, PA
Medals: 134
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (16) General Achievement (10)
Clan Achievement (34) Tournament Contribution (31) General Contribution (1)

Re: Fortification dropdowns (merged) [Done]

Postby lackattack on Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:12 pm

The order of boxes has to change, because the From selection determines the values in the To and Quantity menus.

lancehoch wrote:Then should it be {From} {#} {To}? So the sentence structure would be "From Florida, fortify 10 troops to Georgia" (for the USA map).


I can do that if people really find it better.

Alternatively, we can get rid of sentences and just have labelled menus e.g.

From: X To: X Quantity: X

But maybe the sentences are helpful for new players trying to figure out what is going on.
User avatar
Private 1st Class lackattack
Retired Administrator
 
Posts: 6235
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:34 pm
Location: Montreal, QC
Medals: 9
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) General Achievement (2)

PreviousNext

Return to Implemented Suggestions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Login