Add "Discussion Topic" link to all BETA maps while playing.

Suggestions that have made it through the grind, and have become integrated into the site!

Moderators: Suggestions Team, Global Moderators

Add "Discussion Topic" link to all BETA maps while playing.

Postby j35t3r.us on Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:30 pm

Concise description:
Add "Discussion Topic" link to all BETA play maps.

Specifics:
Just like you have when you click a map to play it, it offers you a "beta map discussion link."

Add this link to the PLAY map, so while you are playing it you can make suggestions or comments.

This will improve the following aspects of the site:
Will offer a quick and easy route to reporting bugs/suggestions/comments while playing the map and the idea is fresh.
Lieutenant j35t3r.us
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:32 pm
Medals: 12
Standard Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2)

Re: Add "Discussion Topic" link to all BETA maps while playing.

Postby john9blue on Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:42 pm

j35t3r.us wrote:Concise description:
Add "Discussion Topic" link to all BETA play maps.

Specifics:
Just like you have when you click a map to play it, it offers you a "beta map discussion link."

Add this link to the PLAY map, so while you are playing it you can make suggestions or comments.

This will improve the following aspects of the site:
Will offer a quick and easy route to reporting bugs/suggestions/comments while playing the map and the idea is fresh.


I don't see why not. ;)
natty_dread wrote:Do ponies have sex?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
(proud member of the Occasionally Wrongly Banned)
User avatar
Captain john9blue
 
Posts: 1270
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:18 pm
Location: FlutterChi-town
Medals: 14
Standard Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (3)

Re: Add "Discussion Topic" link to all BETA maps while playing.

Postby Woodruff on Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:59 pm

j35t3r.us wrote:Concise description:
Add "Discussion Topic" link to all BETA play maps.

Specifics:
Just like you have when you click a map to play it, it offers you a "beta map discussion link."

Add this link to the PLAY map, so while you are playing it you can make suggestions or comments.

This will improve the following aspects of the site:
Will offer a quick and easy route to reporting bugs/suggestions/comments while playing the map and the idea is fresh.


Interesting...good idea.
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff
 
Posts: 4881
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:15 am
Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Contribution (4)

Re: Add "Discussion Topic" link to all BETA maps while playing.

Postby AndyDufresne on Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:29 am

There currently are already links to a Map's Discussion thread, if you click on the thumbnail image. You can click on them either from the game finder, or your own my games page, etc.


--Andy
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator
 
Posts: 25039
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:22 pm
Location: A Banana Palm in Zihuatanejo
Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) General Contribution (2)

Re: Add "Discussion Topic" link to all BETA maps while playing.

Postby j35t3r.us on Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:51 pm

j35t3r.us wrote:Concise description:
Just like you have when you click a map to play it, it offers you a "beta map discussion link."


AndyDufresne wrote:There currently are already links to a Map's Discussion thread, if you click on the thumbnail image. You can click on them either from the game finder, or your own my games page, etc.


Please re-read or re-understand (<---- made that up), my post. The others figured out what I am talking about.


I have 100+ games going at once, scrolls through all my maps trying to find the Beta-map I just "Go to next game"'d is tough...

Add that Discussion link RIGHT TO THE MAP! Like: *WHAM* right there... ;p
Lieutenant j35t3r.us
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:32 pm
Medals: 12
Standard Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2)

Re: Add "Discussion Topic" link to all BETA maps while playing.

Postby GenuineEarlGrey on Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:09 pm

j35t3r.us wrote:Please re-read or re-understand (<---- made that up), my post. The others figured out what I am talking about.... ...Add that Discussion link RIGHT TO THE MAP! Like: *WHAM* right there... ;p

Just re-remind me: You want the Cartographers to add a link from their map, which is an image (that may have been developed over many months), so that us users can click straight there.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class GenuineEarlGrey
 
Posts: 176
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 1:30 am
Medals: 15
Standard Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)

Re: Add "Discussion Topic" link to all BETA maps while playing.

Postby chipv on Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:30 am

j35t3r.us wrote:
j35t3r.us wrote:Concise description:
Just like you have when you click a map to play it, it offers you a "beta map discussion link."


AndyDufresne wrote:There currently are already links to a Map's Discussion thread, if you click on the thumbnail image. You can click on them either from the game finder, or your own my games page, etc.


Please re-read or re-understand (<---- made that up), my post. The others figured out what I am talking about.


I have 100+ games going at once, scrolls through all my maps trying to find the Beta-map I just "Go to next game"'d is tough...

Add that Discussion link RIGHT TO THE MAP! Like: *WHAM* right there... ;p


I see what you're saying - you can also have this page open - Map Information which contains detailed information to help with the map as well as discussion topic, but your point is taken.
User avatar
Colonel chipv
 
Posts: 2758
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:30 pm
Medals: 44
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (5) Map Contribution (1)
General Contribution (10)

Re: Add "Discussion Topic" link to all BETA maps while playing.

Postby saraith on Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:10 am

Tournament games do that already.

it could be made part of the XML, which would get removed when the map goes "live"
Code: Select all
<beta ="yes">
<discussion_url>http://whatever.the.url/topic.for?themap=is</discussion_url>
</beta>

after that, it's just some AJAX to put the URL in the right place
To achieve balance, first you must grow.
To grow, first you must learn.
To learn, first you must listen.
To listen, first you must shut the hell up.
-Buddhist saying
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class saraith
 
Posts: 476
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:13 am
Location: Cow-Town
Medals: 43
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2)
Tournament Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (9) Map Contribution (1)

Re: Add "Discussion Topic" link to all BETA maps while playing.

Postby chipv on Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:10 am

saraith wrote:Tournament games do that already.

it could be made part of the XML, which would get removed when the map goes "live"
Code: Select all
<beta ="yes">
<discussion_url>http://whatever.the.url/topic.for?themap=is</discussion_url>
</beta>

after that, it's just some AJAX to put the URL in the right place


This already exists in maps.xml

<topic> and <status>
User avatar
Colonel chipv
 
Posts: 2758
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:30 pm
Medals: 44
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (5) Map Contribution (1)
General Contribution (10)

Re: Add "Discussion Topic" link to all BETA maps while playing.

Postby lancehoch on Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:19 am

chipv wrote:This already exists in maps.xml

<topic> and <status>

They are asking for the game page to have a header above the map saying something like "XXXXXX map is still in the beta stage, please visit [url]the thread[/url] to post any comments."
Lieutenant lancehoch
 
Posts: 4158
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:13 pm
Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)
Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (4)

Re: Add "Discussion Topic" link to all BETA maps while playing.

Postby chipv on Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:53 am

lancehoch wrote:
chipv wrote:This already exists in maps.xml

<topic> and <status>

They are asking for the game page to have a header above the map saying something like "XXXXXX map is still in the beta stage, please visit [url]the thread[/url] to post any comments."


Yes, thanks, I know. I have responded to that already with an alternative, so have other people. The last post was a correction of the previous post and in any case the site does not need AJAX to print the link. This is a relatively easy change.
User avatar
Colonel chipv
 
Posts: 2758
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:30 pm
Medals: 44
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (5) Map Contribution (1)
General Contribution (10)

Re: Add "Discussion Topic" link to all BETA maps while playing.

Postby j35t3r.us on Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:48 pm

Thanks for the replies. Not trying to get everyone heated up around here. I LOVE playing Beta maps, also love commenting on stuff found in beta maps(when lines drawn are too thin, when one countries bonus is worth more than another, when there is an error, when starting with bonuses happens regularly, etc etc), again, I play 100+ games at once, scrolling down my list of games or "finding the map" takes a good 2-3 min. If it was right there I would be able to click the link.


Lance, thanks.

Chip, thanks.

Guys, thanks.


I don't want the actual map ALTERED. How about a regular old HTML link someone on the page? Hmmm, actually, more I think about it, a HEADER(someone mentioned that here) STAMPED on the map works too! Thoughts?
Lieutenant j35t3r.us
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:32 pm
Medals: 12
Standard Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2)

Re: Add "Discussion Topic" link to all BETA maps while playing.

Postby cicero on Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:51 pm

j35t3r.us wrote:This will improve the following aspects of the site:
Will offer a quick and easy route to reporting bugs/suggestions/comments while playing the map and the idea is fresh.


I think the idea should be extended to all maps, not just beta maps, that way when a player has a problem with a map they will be more likely to post (correctly) in the relevant map thread as opposed to (incorrectly) here in Suggs & Bugs ...
User avatar
Sergeant cicero
 
Posts: 1358
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:51 pm
Location: with the infected neutrals ... handing out maps to help them find their way to CC
Medals: 9
Standard Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) General Contribution (3)

Re: Add "Discussion Topic" link to all BETA maps while playing.

Postby j35t3r.us on Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:38 pm

O.o GOOD CALL!
Lieutenant j35t3r.us
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:32 pm
Medals: 12
Standard Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2)

Re: Add "Discussion Topic" link to all BETA maps while playing.

Postby ender516 on Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:06 pm

cicero wrote:
j35t3r.us wrote:This will improve the following aspects of the site:
Will offer a quick and easy route to reporting bugs/suggestions/comments while playing the map and the idea is fresh.


I think the idea should be extended to all maps, not just beta maps, that way when a player has a problem with a map they will be more likely to post (correctly) in the relevant map thread as opposed to (incorrectly) here in Suggs & Bugs ...

I was about to suggest a link like this on all maps when I did the right thing and searched the forum. The discussion topic link that you can reach from the popup maps from the Browse Maps thumbnails is exactly what is needed. I use the discussion topic as a help page and introduction to any map that is new to me, and a quick way to get there from an active game would be very handy. May I suggest that the link be added along with the "[refresh map] [larger map] [remove colour codes]" links? I fear adding a header might cause more vertical scrolling, and stamping something on the map might obscure important information. I do not (yet) use any addons or plugins, and would prefer this feature be integral to the site. I do agree that there should be some indication that the map being played is in beta test, so if there is no other indication of this on the Game Play page, the link might read either "[discussion topic - beta]" or simply "[discussion topic]".
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class ender516
Tech Contributor
Tech Contributor
 
Posts: 4451
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:07 pm
Location: Waterloo, Ontario
Medals: 37
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (9)
Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (11)

Next

Return to Implemented Suggestions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Login