Ability to see teammates cards/spoils [Pending]

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Suggestions Team

Postby Gilligan on Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:10 am

Lack? Can you share your opinion on this?
Major Gilligan
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Medals: 203
Monthly Leader Silver (1) Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Most Improved Silver (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3)
Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3)
Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2)
Battle Royale Achievement (3) Bot Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (30) General Achievement (32)

Postby AAFitz on Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:24 am

This option will definitely make it easier to play team games...

the only thing about it, and it isnt necessarily negative, is it takes away the need for teammates to communicate at all.... telling your partner your cards, so they can decide to fort you or kill you is probably one of the more important decisions in every game.... those who communicate better, will be able to make better decisions without ever chatting

with the greasemonkey scripts telling me everything else...its almost nice, if sometimes annoying to either guess at the teammates cards..or wait to chat to make sure killing him is worth it or not...

Id probably vote for it, but it will take away the last little bit of required team chat, for any really experienced team and almost make them too easy
Lieutenant AAFitz

Medals: 84
Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (2)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3)
Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (8) General Achievement (2)
Clan Achievement (8) Tournament Contribution (8) General Contribution (2)

Postby wicked on Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:26 am

nonsense AA, there's still plenty of reason to communicate and discuss strategy.
Major wicked

Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (1) General Contribution (1)

Postby AAFitz on Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:40 am

wicked wrote:nonsense AA, there's still plenty of reason to communicate and discuss strategy.

well yes, for someone like you, of course you need to chat...how else would you know what to do? :D

but in all seriousness im all for it, and obviously you sometimes need to chat....sometimes a lot....and I want to see them as much as anyone else

im more commenting that in some ways it will give you all the information you truly need from your partner, coupled with greasemonkey showing me every stat on the board it will take away from the experience just a bit :D

but im all for it.... discussing the cards to see if teamate has 2bl 1 gr or 2r 3bl etc, gets old and tedious...

the comeback youre looking for is "much like yourself"
Lieutenant AAFitz

Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (2)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3)
Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (8) General Achievement (2)

Postby Gilligan on Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:10 am

AAFitz wrote:
wicked wrote:nonsense AA, there's still plenty of reason to communicate and discuss strategy.

well yes, for someone like you, of course you need to chat...how else would you know what to do? :D

but in all seriousness im all for it, and obviously you sometimes need to chat....sometimes a lot....and I want to see them as much as anyone else

im more commenting that in some ways it will give you all the information you truly need from your partner, coupled with greasemonkey showing me every stat on the board it will take away from the experience just a bit :D

but im all for it.... discussing the cards to see if teamate has 2bl 1 gr or 2r 3bl etc, gets old and tedious...

the comeback youre looking for is "much like yourself"

But instead of just the colors, the names as well.
Major Gilligan
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Monthly Leader Silver (1) Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Most Improved Silver (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3)
Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3)
Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2)
Battle Royale Achievement (3) Bot Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (30) General Achievement (32)

Postby chessplaya on Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:28 am

i have to agree to something here

that if i can see my team mates cards i would have empty team chat all the way :lol: :lol:
Veni...
Vidi...
Vici...
Captain chessplaya

Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1)

Postby Gilligan on Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:31 am

chessplaya wrote:i have to agree to something here

that if i can see my team mates cards i would have empty team chat all the way :lol: :lol:

But that's not the goal here. The goal is to be able to see teammates cards ans STILL use the chat for tactics and strategy. That's what the chat is for; not for asking what cards a teammate has.
Major Gilligan
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Postby chessplaya on Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:33 am

Gilligan wrote:

But that's not the goal here. The goal is to be able to see teammates cards ans STILL use the chat for tactics and strategy. That's what the chat is for; not for asking what cards a teammate has.

no i completely trust my team mates decisions therefor i only use the chat to let them know when i am having a set !
Veni...
Vidi...
Vici...
Captain chessplaya

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)

Postby Gilligan on Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:35 am

chessplaya wrote:
Gilligan wrote:

no i completely trust my team mates decisions therefor i only use the chat to let them know when i am having a set !

But what if you are playing with a person you've never played before?
Major Gilligan
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Postby crzyblue on Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:38 am

I voted no on this....
Why?
Because team communication and working together is a big thing, I have my own little group of friends I play with... WHY? because we play at the same time, don't take turns without one another... that's the big thing about team games... WORKING AS A TEAM. by showing your partners cards you can plan your own strat, thus who knows what the other person is planning, or you look and see the cards they have and like ooo look a card set i might be able to win the game if i get his card set too... I know some people are going to get greedy like that. So me and my friends we work together, and play together, we talk out our strat as a TEAM on what we doing which is why we win alot... seeing each others cards isn't need we just say if we have a set or not. I know little mrs. wicked's gonna say something but it will you'll end up with bad partners who will take out their team mate getting his cards because they thing they can win the game and end up failing and losing it for them... when you don't know what cards they have you tend to think twice about taking out your partner even if you think you could win the game if he has a card set. By showing the cards you also make it more of a 1 sided thing again. and if this makes it there should be a option "show partners cards" and "don't show" for setting up games because i personally don't like it. also another thing, if you play teams in REAL risk you don't have the option of going oh what cards do you have? I like it currently how it is because it's more like that actual risk game.
Last edited by crzyblue on Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sergeant 1st Class crzyblue

Postby cena-rules on Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:39 am

this would be a help as my chat doesnt show sometimes.

(still waiting for that neg to be deleted wicked get your rear into gear)
19:41:22 ‹jakewilliams› I was a pedo
Lieutenant cena-rules

Medals: 26
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (1)

Postby chessplaya on Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:39 am

Gilligan wrote:
chessplaya wrote:
Gilligan wrote:

hmmm is that a trick question ???
:lol: :lol:

i am not against ur idea , u gotta understand that ... i am just saying good bye to the team chat!
Veni...
Vidi...
Vici...
Captain chessplaya

Postby Gilligan on Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:40 am

chessplaya wrote:
Gilligan wrote:
chessplaya wrote:
Gilligan wrote:

hmmm is that a trick question ???
:lol: :lol:

i am not against ur idea , u gotta understand that ... i am just saying good bye to the team chat!

Gotcha. 8)
Major Gilligan
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Postby wicked on Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:37 am

people are going to chat or not chat whether the cards are there or not. if you want chat so bad, go to the live chat or to the forums.
Major wicked

Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (1) General Contribution (1)

Postby Gilligan on Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:14 am

...Still waiting for Lack...
Major Gilligan
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Postby lackattack on Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:02 pm

The arguement "but team games are about WORKING AS A TEAM" reminds me of the arguement against the check box for team-only comments in the chat. Established teams were using IM for coordination and didn't need that feature. But I'm always in favour of evening out the playing field between established teams and pickup teams.

So IMO the pros are:

* evens the playing field
* simplifies team communication

The cons are:

* may encourage teammates to act unilaterally
* somewhat clutters the game layout

The pros seem to outweigh the cons, but since it's not 100% and a lower priority than other stuff I want to get done, I'm classifying this as pending for now.
Private 1st Class lackattack
Retired Administrator

Medals: 9
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) General Achievement (2)

Postby Gilligan on Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:06 pm

Better than nothing :wink:

Thanks lack.
Major Gilligan
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Postby AAFitz on Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:37 pm

lackattack wrote:The arguement "but team games are about WORKING AS A TEAM" reminds me of the arguement against the check box for team-only comments in the chat. Established teams were using IM for coordination and didn't need that feature. But I'm always in favour of evening out the playing field between established teams and pickup teams.

So IMO the pros are:

* evens the playing field
* simplifies team communication

The cons are:

* may encourage teammates to act unilaterally
* somewhat clutters the game layout

The pros seem to outweigh the cons, but since it's not 100% and a lower priority than other stuff I want to get done, I'm classifying this as pending for now.

I completely agree that we should have it...as well as all the greasemonkey stuff (except the expectations of card armies that based on odds of getting armies, and not an actual number of armies recieved)

I love all the information...its a computer game, and all the info just makes it easier to refine the play of the game(i know im over your head now lack)...

but I have to admit, I do miss the days of looking at the board and having to guess how many armies the opponents had...having to guess how many cards they had...so that it was work to play....now im not about to go back to that anymore than im about to throw away my visa card, and go hunt for food, but part of me will always miss the days of no info.... where you had to rely on pure instinct...or actually manually count the armies and cards...
Lieutenant AAFitz

Postby firth4eva on Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:58 pm

bump
Captain firth4eva

Medals: 44
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (4) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2)
Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (2)

Postby ParadiceCity9 on Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:46 pm

Kaplowitz wrote:I like it!
Corporal 1st Class ParadiceCity9

Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (4) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (1)

Postby muy_thaiguy on Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:16 pm

I think it is a good idea. 8)
I am what I am.

What, you expected something deep or flashy?
Private 1st Class muy_thaiguy

Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (1)

Postby Gilligan on Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:18 pm

WOAH it turned into 34 to 11 :shock:

I think it should be implemented, now :wink:
Major Gilligan
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Postby dcowboys055 on Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:09 pm

muy_thaiguy wrote:I think it is a good idea. 8)
XI since August '06
Major dcowboys055

Medals: 24
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby Gilligan on Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:59 am

39 to 12 now.
Major Gilligan
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Postby insomniacdude on Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:20 am

I don't get the argument. displaying team cards will eliminate team communication? Sure it will, from the poorly organized team. If I'm going to come up with plan, I always take into account my teammate's strength and cards. Instead of waiting for a reply in chat on what cards they have and THEN formulate the strategy, I can see the cards they have and formulate it then. If anything this will only help team communication because it allows more fluidity of ideas and plans, and it lets them out faster.

To simplify:
I'm on a team with Yellow. I just woke up and somehow have time before class starts, so I decide to check my games. I see that I have a turn in my team game with yellow, and that It's been my turn four about 14 hours. I see that red did a particularly nasty move against us. Normally, I would have to write in chat/PM about what kind of cards my teammate has (if they have 3 or more cards). They respond four hours later, giving me six hours left on my turn. I get my answer and share my thoughts on what to do based on the card set yellow has. Yellow hears my idea and approves...or denies and says we should go with his plan. Either way. After all is sad and done, I have 13 minutes left to take my turn.

If the cards were displayed for the team, that would have completely eliminated one of the steps and saved, potentially, hours of time with which to take my turn.

If anything, this feature could only OPEN communications because you can see your teammate's potential powerbase as a whole instead of what's simply on the map. You can actually invision COMPLETE team tactics on the fly without waiting for a response from your teammate, thus allowing more ideas to come faster.

And yeah, there will be some teammates who end up not saying a thing in the chat. But with or without this feature they aren't very good teammates anyway and deserve whatever loss they might get. Big whup.
Cadet insomniacdude

Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (1)

PreviousNext

Return to Archived Suggestions