Specific Game API

Suggestions that have made it through the grind, and have become integrated into the site!

Moderators: Suggestions Team, Global Moderators

Specific Game API

Postby spearfish on Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:40 pm

Concise description:
  • Create another API which gives the current gamestate of specific games
  • Could be useful for creating new interfaces, among other things

Specifics:
  • Access like: /game_api.php?gameid=12233445
  • Outputs XML document which details who owns what territory, and with how many troops
  • Before outputting, checks if game uses Fog of War -- if so, it checks to make sure the user is logged in and outputs the XML tailored to what that user can see

This will improve the following aspects of the site:
  • Essentially this would allow for much more powerful tools than are already out, and makes them easier to create. For one thing, it would be easier to create GM scripts with this in place. But what I like is that webpages could be created which are capable of replacing /game.php. This also means that the burden is shifted almost entirely off of lackattack in terms of client side display: If I think the username of the player who owns each territory should be displayed underneath the troop count, I could create my own PHP script which renders the page, and does that for me. Look at how the maps section has flourished, thanks to community involvement. As a result, the site team could focus on more gameplay options. This would further that: With this API in place, really only server side programming would need to be worked on.
  • Also, since there's no ads on CC, you guys wouldn't be losing any money, even if somebody played the site entirely from pages located on, say, http://splonkerclub.com. The limitation of 4 games for non-premium members would still apply.

What are some thoughts, from other programmers and from CC staff?
Mess with the best, die like the rest...
Cook spearfish

Medals: 9
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (2)

Re: Specific Game API

Postby ender516 on Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:28 pm

This could lead to the answer to the "I want to choose my own colour" suggestion.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Medals: 37
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (9)
Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (11)

Postby spearfish on Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:55 pm

Indeed. Honestly, I can't stand the changes to the interface concerning how reinforcements are handled.
Cook spearfish

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (2)

Postby ender516 on Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:03 pm

spearfish wrote:Indeed. Honestly, I can't stand the changes to the interface concerning how reinforcements are handled.

What are you referring to in particular?

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (9)

Postby spearfish on Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:16 pm

It might not be a recent change, since I was gone for a couple of months...

But before when you were choosing what to reinforce, the boxes were arranged:

[# Troops] [Source] [Destination]

And they aren't anymore :(.
Cook spearfish

Ratings Achievement (2)

Postby ender516 on Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:59 pm

spearfish wrote:It might not be a recent change, since I was gone for a couple of months...

But before when you were choosing what to reinforce, the boxes were arranged:

[# Troops] [Source] [Destination]

And they aren't anymore :(.

Well, I guess it's all what you are used to, but I think I see the logic of [Source][Destination][# Troops]. Which territories are in the [Source] drop-down menu is out of your hands: they are just those territories you hold with more than one troop that are connected to other territories you hold. Once you pick your [Source], the [Destination] list can be whittled down to just those connected to the [Source] you picked, and the [# Troops] can range from one to one less than the number of troops on the [Source]. If you work from left to right, you don't find your next choice affecting a previous one.

Return to Implemented Suggestions