Conquer Club

Group Games in Join a Game/ and maps by difficulty

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

Group Games in Join a Game/ and maps by difficulty

Postby AAFitz on Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:26 am

Concise description:

• Group games by difficulty of settings and map instead of chronological order
  • Group maps by difficulty instead of alphabetically.

Specifics:
In the Thread by Queen Herpes; viewtopic.php?f=4&t=100563 it was suggested that not letting new players play maps would protect them from difficult maps and games. However, it means limiting their options. Perhaps informing them would be better.

• Group games by difficulty, with obvious groups so any new player can see the relative difficulty level of the game they are joining.
  • Group maps by difficulty, so anyone setting up a game instantly knows the difficulty of the map. Objective games could have their own group as well.

This will improve the following aspects of the site:
  • Will possibly reduce farming on some maps and settings
    (there will be loopholes which are immediately obvious)
  • Will make joining and creating games much easier for new players, who have a lot of choices with little or no organization
  • Will perhaps reduce the bad experience of an overwhelming map on a new player that is just looking for an easy game.
  • Most importantly, it allows a new player to jump right in, and play tricky maps and settings to see what they are like, and encourage them to work towards winning at them.

Really, this I came up with this suggestion simply because of the goals of Q. Herpes, to reduce the problems of complex maps. Now after considering it, Im actually surprised the games and maps arent already grouped like this.

The maps would be easy to group, the games will take a little more time, and will clearly be more subjective, but in the end will make CC much easier to navigate for new players, who quite simply HAVE to be overwhelmed by the number of game options and choices.

By giving them a little easy section, they can perhaps click on those to get started if they like, or if they already understand the game as many do, they can choose a more challenging option.
  • Will be much easier to see than the current chronological and alphabetical listings....which even for me, who has played almost 8000 games, is difficult to sort through, especially on the maps.

It could even be more simplified into groupings like this:

Now a player clicks on one of these categories... inside these could even be more detailed by relative skill level(possibly)
(skill level is a difficult thing to decide, and is so dependent on so many variables, that the maps may be the only way to classify the game in the end.)

show: team games

show: tiny maps

show: small maps

show: medium maps

show: large maps

show: objective or variation maps

Instead of seeing a million games, you could see groups. While most of us know how to use game finder...i doubt all new players do...and even if they did, they wouldnt know what to look for.
Last edited by AAFitz on Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
I'm Spanking Monkey now....err...I mean I'm a Spanking Monkey now...that shoots milk
Too much. I know.
Sergeant 1st Class AAFitz

Re: Group Games in Join a Game/ and maps by difficulty

Postby natty dread on Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:07 am

I think this would be good... Perhaps with an addition that the new players, when clicking "join a game" would see them in this same order, with easiest maps first? Of course when they search on game finder they would see in the normal order.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby AAFitz on Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:13 am

natty_dread wrote:I think this would be good... Perhaps with an addition that the new players, when clicking "join a game" would see them in this same order, with easiest maps first? Of course when they search on game finder they would see in the normal order.

Yeah, that is the general idea... I added to it
I'm Spanking Monkey now....err...I mean I'm a Spanking Monkey now...that shoots milk
Too much. I know.

Postby Queen_Herpes on Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:44 am

HEY NOOBS! Here is a map that you could play on that would really screw things up! HEY NOOBS! These maps are really challenging, so play on them RIGHT AWAY!

I'm so glad this will never be implemented on ConquerClub. I've been around long enough to know that Lack will never change this aspect of the site. Alphabetical listings is the way it has always been on this site, and changing this will not help the site at all.

Oh my goodness, I cannot believe this was posted, but I understand that there are well meaning people out there. Its great that we all can recommend things to this site, and this recommendation was well written and well thought out. But it will never pass and I'm so glad that It won't.
Lieutenant Queen_Herpes

Postby natty dread on Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:53 am

:roll:

there are better ways to illustrate a point, don't you think?
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby AAFitz on Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:28 pm

Queen_Herpes wrote:HEY NOOBS! Here is a map that you could play on that would really screw things up! HEY NOOBS! These maps are really challenging, so play on them RIGHT AWAY!

I'm so glad this will never be implemented on ConquerClub. I've been around long enough to know that Lack will never change this aspect of the site. Alphabetical listings is the way it has always been on this site, and changing this will not help the site at all.

Oh my goodness, I cannot believe this was posted, but I understand that there are well meaning people out there. Its great that we all can recommend things to this site, and this recommendation was well written and well thought out. But it will never pass and I'm so glad that It won't.

Well, It was suggested in order to achieve the goals of informing new players about the difficulty of other maps, while not limiting from the fun of playing them. It achieves the objective of your suggestion, without limiting a new players opportunity to have fun.

If any version of this suggestion gets implemented, which I, unlike yourself actually see a potential for, you deserve the credit for the idea of the idea. I am sorry I completely disagree with your suggestion of how to achieve the objective, but clearly want to see the objective achieved also. My disagreement was only ever to protect new players from being limited, not to personally discount your idea. You have my full respect for what you were trying to achieve. I simply disagreed with how you suggested doing it, and do so passionately.

As far as it not being implemented...we shall see. :D
Too much. I know.

Return to Archived Suggestions