Limit New Recruits for 16 games, unlock settings and maps

Suggestions that have been inactive for a long period of time.

Moderators: Suggestions Team, Global Moderators

Re: Limit New Recruits for 16 games, unlock settings and map

Postby JoshyBoy on Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:05 pm

Woodruff wrote:
PLAYER57832 wrote:You ignore what really happens here, why people stay and why they leave. Limiting maps will drive far more people away than it will help.


I tend to agree. I know it's just anecdotal evidence, but I can't imagine that I would have stayed if I had either thought there were so few maps (the huge number of maps was my primary motivation in staying) or that I wasn't able to access those large numbers of maps for a while. It would have pissed me off.

(And I'm hearing the calls now for retroactively implementing this for me...<grin>)


Amen brothers.
drunkmonkey wrote:I honestly wonder why anyone becomes a mod on this site. You're the whiniest bunch of players imaginable.

Ron Burgundy wrote:Why don't you go back to your home on Whore Island?
User avatar
Lieutenant JoshyBoy
 
Posts: 3778
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 6:04 pm
Location: In the gym. Yeah, still there.
Medals: 67
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (4) Tournament Contribution (17)
General Contribution (2)

Re: Limit New Recruits for 16 games, unlock settings and map

Postby Queen_Herpes on Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:23 pm

Woodruff wrote:
PLAYER57832 wrote:You ignore what really happens here, why people stay and why they leave. Limiting maps will drive far more people away than it will help.


I tend to agree. I know it's just anecdotal evidence, but I can't imagine that I would have stayed if I had either thought there were so few maps (the huge number of maps was my primary motivation in staying) or that I wasn't able to access those large numbers of maps for a while. It would have pissed me off.

(And I'm hearing the calls now for retroactively implementing this for me...<grin>)


Fortunately for us, you joined back when there were fewer maps and fewer game options/settings! Good thing (and amazing considering your post) that you stuck around! Cheers! FYI, New recruits are limited to certain maps and settings.
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=102006

This link is the best way to make new players feel welcome...

http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=102006
User avatar
Lieutenant Queen_Herpes
 
Posts: 1339
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:50 pm
Location: Right Here. Look into my eyes.
Medals: 29
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (3) General Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (1)

Re: Limit New Recruits for 16 games, unlock settings and map

Postby JoshyBoy on Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:33 am

Queen_Herpes wrote:FYI, New recruits are limited to certain maps and settings.


If this is the case, why restrict them further?
drunkmonkey wrote:I honestly wonder why anyone becomes a mod on this site. You're the whiniest bunch of players imaginable.

Ron Burgundy wrote:Why don't you go back to your home on Whore Island?
User avatar
Lieutenant JoshyBoy
 
Posts: 3778
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 6:04 pm
Location: In the gym. Yeah, still there.
Medals: 67
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (4) Tournament Contribution (17)
General Contribution (2)

Re: Limit New Recruits for 16 games, unlock settings and map

Postby PLAYER57832 on Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:23 pm

Queen_Herpes wrote: Fortunately for us, you joined back when there were fewer maps and fewer game options/settings! Good thing (and amazing considering your post) that you stuck around!

Not amazing. The diversity of maps is WHY people stick around. But, and this is key, its not so much that people say because they see 100 maps. They stay because within those 100+ maps are some they like.

If there is an issue, it is helping people wade through the diversity to find the types they like. Your suggestion does not help that at all. In fact, you start with the utterly false assumption that you can decide which maps some people might like. And.. you keep with that assumption despite all evidence to the contrary.
Queen_Herpes wrote: Cheers! FYI, New recruits are limited to certain maps and settings.

They are limited (and for 5 games ONLY) to make people play a couple of games before launching into the most complicated maps, game types. It is a limit, not a further encouragement to stay.
Corporal 1st Class PLAYER57832
 
Posts: 2438
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:17 am
Location: Pennsylvania
Medals: 30
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (4)
Training Achievement (1)

Re: Limit New Recruits for 16 games, unlock settings and map

Postby PLAYER57832 on Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:31 pm

SirSebstar wrote:You ignore what has been writen above, then why should i respond to your empty post... Well I am such a nice guy ;-)

Coming from someone who said CC doesn't have a training program?? ;)

Anyway, both Woodruff and I have followed Queens various suggestions. Niether one of us can truly understand why this one persisted into a sticky. Because it just plain runs counter to what CC is about.

That said:
...this is a voluntary limitation that you as a player can end yourself, but then you need to change some settings. It would give players a more reasonable chance to get to knew what the settings mean instead of just reading something about freestyle, just to point out an example.

Folks ALREADY HAVE the chance to select or not select games. As a non-option, this idea stinks. As an option, it is a pure waste of admin programming time and server space.

PLAYER57832 wrote: (And I'm hearing the calls now for retroactively implementing this for me...<grin>)
I think I got you beat on that one ... ;) (but then, I have had longer to irritate people :lol: )
Corporal 1st Class PLAYER57832
 
Posts: 2438
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:17 am
Location: Pennsylvania
Medals: 30
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (4)
Training Achievement (1)

Re: Limit New Recruits for 16 games, unlock settings and map

Postby Queen_Herpes on Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:48 am

SirSebstar wrote:Obviously if you did read the above statements, you would know this is a voluntary limitation that you as a player can end yourself, but then you need to change some settings. It would give players a more reasonable chance to get to knew what the settings mean instead of just reading something about freestyle, just to point out an example.


Excellent job reading the posts, SirSebstar! As mentioned, I fully support the notion (and it wasn't mine originally) that a new recruit can go in to deselect this training program. Certainly I support that this training would be an automatically selected set-up for all new recruits.

Because you can read, SirSebstar, I'm sure you also understand that this suggestion supports the concept that the new recruits would not be able to "see" the maps that they cannot play. I'm on the fence on that, though. What do you think?
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=102006

This link is the best way to make new players feel welcome...

http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=102006
User avatar
Lieutenant Queen_Herpes
 
Posts: 1339
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:50 pm
Location: Right Here. Look into my eyes.
Medals: 29
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (3) General Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (1)

Re: Limit New Recruits for 16 games, unlock settings and map

Postby angola on Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:14 am

Queen_Herpes wrote:Because you can read, SirSebstar, I'm sure you also understand that this suggestion supports the concept that the new recruits would not be able to "see" the maps that they cannot play. I'm on the fence on that, though. What do you think?



Wait, you want to limit how many maps the new recruits can even see?

Wow, that will really drive people away. If I signed up for this site and thought it only had 16 maps, I'd be out of here quick.

Also, I was playing lots of different Risk-type games when I stumbled upon Conquer Club (damn Grand Strategy servers kept going down) and I think it is ridiculous to limit new recruits any more than they already are.

I like the PM to the new recruits about the Society of Cooks. That seems reasonable.
Image

Highest rank: 48th. Highest score: 3,384. Feb. 9, 2014.
Major angola
 
Posts: 1863
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 12:56 pm
Location: Washington state
Medals: 96
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (13) General Achievement (4)
Clan Achievement (13) Tournament Contribution (18) General Contribution (3)

Re: Limit New Recruits for 16 games, unlock settings and map

Postby JoshyBoy on Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:07 am

angola wrote:Wait, you want to limit how many maps the new recruits can even see?

Wow, that will really drive people away. If I signed up for this site and thought it only had 16 maps, I'd be out of here quick.

Also, I was playing lots of different Risk-type games when I stumbled upon Conquer Club (damn Grand Strategy servers kept going down) and I think it is ridiculous to limit new recruits any more than they already are.

I like the PM to the new recruits about the Society of Cooks. That seems reasonable.


Amen brother.
drunkmonkey wrote:I honestly wonder why anyone becomes a mod on this site. You're the whiniest bunch of players imaginable.

Ron Burgundy wrote:Why don't you go back to your home on Whore Island?
User avatar
Lieutenant JoshyBoy
 
Posts: 3778
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 6:04 pm
Location: In the gym. Yeah, still there.
Medals: 67
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (4) Tournament Contribution (17)
General Contribution (2)

Re: Limit New Recruits for 16 games, unlock settings and map

Postby PLAYER57832 on Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:22 am

angola wrote:I like the PM to the new recruits about the Society of Cooks. That seems reasonable.

They already get that pm. (maybe not when you started, but now they do).

I, of course, agree with the rest of what you have said.
Corporal 1st Class PLAYER57832
 
Posts: 2438
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:17 am
Location: Pennsylvania
Medals: 30
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (4)
Training Achievement (1)

Re: Limit New Recruits for 16 games, unlock settings and map

Postby SirSebstar on Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:55 am

PLAYER57832 wrote:
SirSebstar wrote:You ignore what has been writen above, then why should i respond to your empty post... Well I am such a nice guy ;-)

Coming from someone who said CC doesn't have a training program?? ;)

I cannot remember saying such a thing. I assume you are confused with someone else.

PLAYER57832 wrote:Anyway, both Woodruff and I have followed Queens various suggestions. Niether one of us can truly understand why this one persisted into a sticky. Because it just plain runs counter to what CC is about.

QH did not make it a sticky and I do not think a sticky requires your approval anyways so i fail to see the relevance here.

PLAYER57832 wrote:That said:
...this is a voluntary limitation that you as a player can end yourself, but then you need to change some settings. It would give players a more reasonable chance to get to knew what the settings mean instead of just reading something about freestyle, just to point out an example.

Folks ALREADY HAVE the chance to select or not select games. As a non-option, this idea stinks. As an option, it is a pure waste of admin programming time and server space.

If i followed that line of thinking then players should not even be limited in the first 5 games. If that is what you mean then tough luck. I am trying to expand the time players find it cool to hang around on this site. As has been presented before, it is a fact that there are several groups of players, each with their own desires wishes and dislikes. The option of an extended time of exploration is intended to keep as many players interested as possible. The shortcut method of disableing said period is meant for those users who like to try everything right now.. But not everybody is like that. To get back to your argument, if people have the option to not play freestyle they need to know what freestyle is before they are shanghai’d and leave this place for cheaters paradise that it is.

PLAYER57832 wrote: (And I'm hearing the calls now for retroactively implementing this for me...<grin>)
I think I got you beat on that one ... ;) (but then, I have had longer to irritate people :lol: )[/quote] yes you do, please stay out of here unless you want to either improve on the design or post a helpful comment. I will note that you disapprove of this idea, and you can post when you have something relevant to add.
Image
User avatar
Major SirSebstar
 
Posts: 7329
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:51 am
Location: SirSebstar is BACK. Highscore: Colonel Score: 2919 21/03/2011
Medals: 95
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (23) General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (9) Training Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (4)
General Contribution (11)

Re: Limit New Recruits for 16 games, unlock settings and map

Postby SirSebstar on Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:58 am

Queen_Herpes wrote:....Because you can read, SirSebstar, I'm sure you also understand that this suggestion supports the concept that the new recruits would not be able to "see" the maps that they cannot play. I'm on the fence on that, though. What do you think?


considering the comments i think players should not be able to select certain options untill they more or less qualify for it.(much like the first 5 games) Do i want them invisiable or greyed out, then i would suggest greyed out over invisiable. After all, if you do not know what else is out there, you might not want to run as fast and there are a lot of groups out there that really do want to do everything as fast as possible. Also the got to have em all crowd needs to clearly see whats out there for them to get
So i'd propose visiable and tempting..
Image
User avatar
Major SirSebstar
 
Posts: 7329
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:51 am
Location: SirSebstar is BACK. Highscore: Colonel Score: 2919 21/03/2011
Medals: 95
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (23) General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (9) Training Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (4)
General Contribution (11)

Re: Limit New Recruits for 16 games, unlock settings and map

Postby Woodruff on Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:17 pm

SirSebstar wrote:You ignore what has been writen above, then why should i respond to your empty post...


f*ck you and your assinine presumption that a brand new newbie would understand a PM trying to explain this to them or that they would be able to figure out how to do it.

SirSebstar wrote:If you did not know better would you have minded?


Yes, because the primary thing I love about this site is the tremendous number of maps involved.

SirSebstar wrote:Obviously if you did read the above statements, you would know this is a voluntary limitation that you as a player can end yourself, but then you need to change some settings.


I've already addressed that.

SirSebstar wrote:Assuming you did not read the above, i can only conclude you are in fact in agreement with me.
If so, thanks!


f*ck off.

SirSebstar wrote:
PLAYER57832 wrote:I think I got you beat on that one ... ;) (but then, I have had longer to irritate people :lol: )


yes you do, please stay out of here unless you want to either improve on the design or post a helpful comment. I will note that you disapprove of this idea, and you can post when you have something relevant to add.


Yes PLAYER...if you disagree, you should just shut the hell up.
Last edited by Woodruff on Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff
 
Posts: 4964
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:15 am
Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Contribution (4)

Re: Limit New Recruits for 16 games, unlock settings and map

Postby Woodruff on Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:18 pm

Queen_Herpes wrote:
SirSebstar wrote:Obviously if you did read the above statements, you would know this is a voluntary limitation that you as a player can end yourself, but then you need to change some settings. It would give players a more reasonable chance to get to knew what the settings mean instead of just reading something about freestyle, just to point out an example.


Excellent job reading the posts, SirSebstar! As mentioned, I fully support the notion (and it wasn't mine originally) that a new recruit can go in to deselect this training program. Certainly I support that this training would be an automatically selected set-up for all new recruits.

Because you can read, SirSebstar, I'm sure you also understand that this suggestion supports the concept that the new recruits would not be able to "see" the maps that they cannot play. I'm on the fence on that, though. What do you think?


You sure are a sanctimonious bitch.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff
 
Posts: 4964
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:15 am
Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Contribution (4)

Re: Limit New Recruits for 16 games, unlock settings and map

Postby Queen_Herpes on Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:42 pm

Woodruff wrote:
Queen_Herpes wrote:
SirSebstar wrote:Obviously if you did read the above statements, you would know this is a voluntary limitation that you as a player can end yourself, but then you need to change some settings. It would give players a more reasonable chance to get to knew what the settings mean instead of just reading something about freestyle, just to point out an example.


Excellent job reading the posts, SirSebstar! As mentioned, I fully support the notion (and it wasn't mine originally) that a new recruit can go in to deselect this training program. Certainly I support that this training would be an automatically selected set-up for all new recruits.

Because you can read, SirSebstar, I'm sure you also understand that this suggestion supports the concept that the new recruits would not be able to "see" the maps that they cannot play. I'm on the fence on that, though. What do you think?


You sure are a sanctimonious bitch.


Um, I don't know what sanctimonious means. Please elaborate. As to this suggestion, I don't think this particular comment is on topic. Please stay on topic. Thank you!
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=102006

This link is the best way to make new players feel welcome...

http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=102006
User avatar
Lieutenant Queen_Herpes
 
Posts: 1339
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:50 pm
Location: Right Here. Look into my eyes.
Medals: 29
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (3) General Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (1)

Re: Limit New Recruits for 16 games, unlock settings and map

Postby Queen_Herpes on Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:47 pm

angola wrote:
Queen_Herpes wrote:Because you can read, SirSebstar, I'm sure you also understand that this suggestion supports the concept that the new recruits would not be able to "see" the maps that they cannot play. I'm on the fence on that, though. What do you think?



Wait, you want to limit how many maps the new recruits can even see?

Wow, that will really drive people away. If I signed up for this site and thought it only had 16 maps, I'd be out of here quick.

Also, I was playing lots of different Risk-type games when I stumbled upon Conquer Club (damn Grand Strategy servers kept going down) and I think it is ridiculous to limit new recruits any more than they already are.

I like the PM to the new recruits about the Society of Cooks. That seems reasonable.



Probably stirring controversy more than anything. I put a suggestion forward that never got much traction related to putting the maps on display. Currently, they are hidden if a visitor to the site is not a member. Then...if you are a member, they are not "easy" to find. I figured since everyone was so hyped up about the maps being what attracts players to this site, that (with the other suggestion) I was simply trying to get conquerclub to advertise those maps in a more effective manner. However, hardly anyone commented on that thread and it faded away. So, I must ask, if we limit the number of maps visible to a new recruit...are we really changing much for a new member?
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=102006

This link is the best way to make new players feel welcome...

http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=102006
User avatar
Lieutenant Queen_Herpes
 
Posts: 1339
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:50 pm
Location: Right Here. Look into my eyes.
Medals: 29
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (3) General Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (1)

Re: Limit New Recruits for 16 games, unlock settings and map

Postby Woodruff on Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:47 am

Queen_Herpes wrote:
Woodruff wrote:
Queen_Herpes wrote:
SirSebstar wrote:Obviously if you did read the above statements, you would know this is a voluntary limitation that you as a player can end yourself, but then you need to change some settings. It would give players a more reasonable chance to get to knew what the settings mean instead of just reading something about freestyle, just to point out an example.


Excellent job reading the posts, SirSebstar! As mentioned, I fully support the notion (and it wasn't mine originally) that a new recruit can go in to deselect this training program. Certainly I support that this training would be an automatically selected set-up for all new recruits.

Because you can read, SirSebstar, I'm sure you also understand that this suggestion supports the concept that the new recruits would not be able to "see" the maps that they cannot play. I'm on the fence on that, though. What do you think?


You sure are a sanctimonious bitch.


Um, I don't know what sanctimonious means. Please elaborate.


Buy a dictionary.

Queen_Herpes wrote:As to this suggestion, I don't think this particular comment is on topic. Please stay on topic. Thank you!


Make up your mind!
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff
 
Posts: 4964
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:15 am
Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Contribution (4)

Re: Limit New Recruits for 16 games, unlock settings and map

Postby natty dread on Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:36 am

SirSebstar wrote: yes you do, please stay out of here unless you want to either improve on the design or post a helpful comment. I will note that you disapprove of this idea, and you can post when you have something relevant to add.


I can't believe I'm reading this from a moderator. WTF?????

Are you seriously saying that people who disagree about a suggestion are not welcome to post on a suggestion thread?

I would think that everyone is allowed to post their opinions about a suggestion. Whether they like it or not. How else would you gauge if there is sufficient support among the CC population for any suggestion?
Image
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread
 
Posts: 13318
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:58 pm
Location: fucked off
Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Re: Limit New Recruits for 16 games, unlock settings and map

Postby blakebowling on Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:53 pm

natty_dread wrote:
SirSebstar wrote: yes you do, please stay out of here unless you want to either improve on the design or post a helpful comment. I will note that you disapprove of this idea, and you can post when you have something relevant to add.


I can't believe I'm reading this from a moderator. WTF?????

Are you seriously saying that people who disagree about a suggestion are not welcome to post on a suggestion thread?

I would think that everyone is allowed to post their opinions about a suggestion. Whether they like it or not. How else would you gauge if there is sufficient support among the CC population for any suggestion?

I do believe he was saying to be relevant with posts, and to make sure that you aren't attacking anyone. Being against a suggestion is fine, but the line does stand that your post should be either for or against the suggestion, not the user that posted it. (Also, if this is not what Sebstar was saying, It's what I'm saying now.)
12:39:59 AM rdsrds2120: sorry, I had a lot of lasagna tonight
12:40:06 AM rdsrds2120: I'm pretty out of it. CRAAZZYYY NIGHT
12:31:04 * Metsfanmax quit (kicked from Social by Metsfanmax - reason: haha gotcha now)
12:59:32 * #1_stunna gropes blakebowling
Private blakebowling
Administrator
Administrator
 
Posts: 5028
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:09 pm
Location: 127.0.0.1
Medals: 41
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3)
Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (3)
Tournament Contribution (3) General Contribution (10)

Re: Limit New Recruits for 16 games, unlock settings and map

Postby PLAYER57832 on Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:29 pm

Except the moderator in question has violated that principle.
Corporal 1st Class PLAYER57832
 
Posts: 2438
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:17 am
Location: Pennsylvania
Medals: 30
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (4)
Training Achievement (1)

Re: Limit New Recruits for 16 games, unlock settings and map

Postby PLAYER57832 on Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:43 pm

Overall, there has long been a bias towards maps that mirror the classic. The assumption is that is what brings people here. Partially true, because a big way people have historically found out about the site is to key in "Risk" or so. A huge majority likely do play classic first.

HOWEVER, saying people first come here for that reason is not the same as saying people stay here for that reason. There have been repeated comments about why people stay. Most are backed by a fair amount of evidence. Only partially anecdotal evidence. For the most part, these claims have not even been truly refuted, just "well, no one really knows, so.." and so forth.

When person after person comes and says "people stay in large part because of the number of maps".. and virtually no one (other than Queen Herpes) says that people are leaving because there are too many maps,

so Queen Herpes thinks this is a good idea. We got that. So the idea has been revised. But, no matter of revision will change that the basic principle is wrong.

LIMITING MAPS IS NOT GOING TO KEEP PEOPLE HERE. The whole idea is silly.

There ARE problems. The biggest fixable pproblems, specifically are that maps are not very well categorized or described. The second problem is that Assassin is not very well explained. Having too many maps does not even rank on this list, just giving people a better way to find particular maps perhaps.

The TRUE big problems, the things that actually drive people away won't be fixed by CC. The biggest problems are people who just cannot be bothered to read and poor sports. Those are facts of humanity. Truth is, most of us are just as glad those folks leave when they do. Their occasional presence brings down the site for the rest of us. BUT, we live with those few knowing that most of the people here are otherwise.

The SECOND problem is really just a subclass of the poor sports bit. There is a group that has gotten good at a particular map or style of play and feels they, basically "ought to make conquerer" (or at least should stay in the upper ranks). They get to the point where others know they are good and basically avoid them or that map, but they don't want to reach out and try other types because they might (likely would) lose rank. OR, they get angry because they are stuck playing poorer players who might occasionally get lucky and win, thus bringing down their score. These problems have been debated ad anuseum. Again, it really and truly boils down to do these people want to play or just sit and keep their rank.

There are a lot of GOOD ideas out there that have just gone by the way side. They got support, but somehow were never adopted by admin. Why this one is put in a sticky is hard to understand.
Corporal 1st Class PLAYER57832
 
Posts: 2438
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:17 am
Location: Pennsylvania
Medals: 30
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (4)
Training Achievement (1)

Re: Limit New Recruits for 16 games, unlock settings and map

Postby natty dread on Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:59 am

These problems have been debated ad anuseum.


Typo or freudian slip? :lol:
Image
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread
 
Posts: 13318
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:58 pm
Location: fucked off
Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Re: Limit New Recruits for 16 games, unlock settings and map

Postby SirSebstar on Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:12 am

PLAYER57832 wrote:..........HOWEVER, saying people first come here for that reason is not the same as saying people stay here for that reason.

I concurr.

There have been repeated comments about why people stay. Most are backed by a fair amount of evidence. Only partially anecdotal evidence. For the most part, these claims have not even been truly refuted, just "well, no one really knows, so.." and so forth.
I disagree with your statement that the information i supplied is anecdotal. I have supplied 2 studies to why people in general stay or leave. From there making an extrapolation to CC is not that big a leap of faith. Ofcourse i can be wrong, but i have seen no counter evidence so far.

When person after person comes and says "people stay in large part because of the number of maps".. and virtually no one (other than Queen Herpes) says that people are leaving because there are too many maps,........


It is not just maps, but also settings that are confusing. There are a variety of reasons for someone to go, and only one to stay (because i want to). This suggestion appeals to 2 of the 3 major groups. the 3th major group likes to do everything right now, and all they have to do is change a setting..


..........


There ARE problems. The biggest fixable pproblems, specifically are that maps are not very well categorized or described. The second problem is that Assassin is not very well explained. Having too many maps does not even rank on this list, just giving people a better way to find particular maps perhaps.


The plan supposedly also gives out a better explenation with the unlocking of new settings and maps. I would conclude from that, that this plan would therefor solve your remark.


The TRUE big problems.... people who just cannot be bothered to read and poor sports. ....

Agreed. This suggestion does NOT heal mankind, cure diseas and end the hunger.. to paraprase what you said; You can bring a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. But we are trying to bring the player close to the water, and make it less murky (as you have stated that it alread is) We do try to keep the reasons for leaving to be more limited.

..........


If there are other suggestions that might be more deserving of a sticky according to you, then I have to say that I find that a pretty invalid way of arguing. I am not sure if you see any merit in this suggestion, but you find other problems more pressing or that you do not see any merit whatsoever.
However, as you can see your concerns have been adressed. I hope that means you will support this.
Image
User avatar
Major SirSebstar
 
Posts: 7329
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:51 am
Location: SirSebstar is BACK. Highscore: Colonel Score: 2919 21/03/2011
Medals: 95
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (23) General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (9) Training Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (4)
General Contribution (11)

Re: Limit New Recruits for 16 games, unlock settings and map

Postby jimfinn on Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:41 pm

Only read the OP, but I would think that the possibility of putting these complexity lists (levels0-6) somewhere where all players can see them (maybe even make it a gamefinder option = map level) would be useful for any player's reference.

Also, I think many RISK players would be aghast to not be able to play manual deploy, as that is how most people play real risk (At least where I'm from)
User avatar
Private 1st Class jimfinn
 
Posts: 448
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 8:36 pm
Medals: 30
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (2) General Achievement (4) Tournament Contribution (5)

Re: Limit New Recruits for 16 games, unlock settings and map

Postby PLAYER57832 on Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:09 am

SirSebstar wrote:
PLAYER57832 wrote:..........HOWEVER, saying people first come here for that reason is not the same as saying people stay here for that reason.

I concurr.

There have been repeated comments about why people stay. Most are backed by a fair amount of evidence. Only partially anecdotal evidence. For the most part, these claims have not even been truly refuted, just "well, no one really knows, so.." and so forth.
I disagree with your statement that the information i supplied is anecdotal. I have supplied 2 studies to why people in general stay or leave. From there making an extrapolation to CC is not that big a leap of faith. Ofcourse i can be wrong, but i have seen no counter evidence so far.

I said only partially anecdotal.

The evidence is that limiting maps in this way will cause far more people to leave than to stay.

This is not a case where you can simply look at averages, because there is such a wide diversity within the maps. That is the point Q. keeps missing. She has still not played all the maps, though she is now playing more than when she first came up with this suggestion.
From the start, those of us who DO play all the maps or who like the "unusual" maps have come out against this suggestion. Those who agree are almost all those who just like one type of map, who think maps like Lunar Landing, AOR2, etc are "garbage".

Really, this comes down to one more attempt to cut back on the full diversity of maps available, to set out restrictions not based on evidence.

I can see upping the limit to playing Gaza, Waterloo, some of the other more complicated maps. I can see requiring those playing Assasin games to go through a brief quiz that shows they understand the game type (though, in truth, I think a lot of people hitting the wrong target may be simply forgetting they are playing Assassin on that map..lol)
SirSebstar wrote:When person after person comes and says "people stay in large part because of the number of maps".. and virtually no one (other than Queen Herpes) says that people are leaving because there are too many maps,........


It is not just maps, but also settings that are confusing. There are a variety of reasons for someone to go, and only one to stay (because i want to). This suggestion appeals to 2 of the 3 major groups. the 3th major group likes to do everything right now, and all they have to do is change a setting..[/quote]
Based on what?

Any poll here is hardly representative. We KNOW that. Only the barest fraction of people go to the forums. The people you play? How much do you actually play the wide diversity of maps?

If we need something, we need the maps categorized. I have trumpeted THAT for some time. I even created a list, kept it updated up until roughly last summer. (should be back in General Discussions somewhere.. but its a very, very old post, over a year, maybe even 2 years). It went nowhere.

Again, the "majority" of whom you speak don't want to play the wide diversity of maps. They want to play standard, territory maps. Nothing prevents them from doing that. This suggestion will keep those of us with other likes from playing the games WE like. Are we in the minority? Yes. BUT, we are a dedicated minority.


..........


There ARE problems. The biggest fixable pproblems, specifically are that maps are not very well categorized or described. The second problem is that Assassin is not very well explained. Having too many maps does not even rank on this list, just giving people a better way to find particular maps perhaps.


The plan supposedly also gives out a better explenation with the unlocking of new settings and maps. I would conclude from that, that this plan would therefor solve your remark.[[/quote]
Then you did not read my suggestion, AT ALL.

MY suggestion is to offer categories so that people can DECIDE FOR THEMSELVES, that we give people INFORMATION.

This suggestion is to limit access. VERY DIFFERENT INDEED!
The TRUE big problems.... people who just cannot be bothered to read and poor sports. ....

Agreed. This suggestion does NOT heal mankind, cure diseas and end the hunger.. to paraprase what you said; You can bring a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. But we are trying to bring the player close to the water, and make it less murky (as you have stated that it alread is) We do try to keep the reasons for leaving to be more limited.[[/quote]
NO, you are trying to dictate and limit how people play, not "bring them to water"

If people don't understand, then do a better job of explaining, open up the Cook's forum to non-standard game types... ETC.

SirSebstar wrote:If there are other suggestions that might be more deserving of a sticky according to you, then I have to say that I find that a pretty invalid way of arguing. I am not sure if you see any merit in this suggestion, but you find other problems more pressing or that you do not see any merit whatsoever.
However, as you can see your concerns have been adressed. I hope that means you will support this.

OH PLEASE. This "suggestion" has been around for about 2 years. It has been blasted by all but a few, mostly newer members, the entire time.

And, I HAVE been placing multiple other suggestions, some have even been accepted. I have no idea why this suggestion was elevated to sticky level. It should have died a LONG time ago! Mostly, I think folks just get tired of arguing with Q.H. It has nothing to do with liking the suggestion, not really, not in the greater CC world.
Corporal 1st Class PLAYER57832
 
Posts: 2438
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:17 am
Location: Pennsylvania
Medals: 30
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (4)
Training Achievement (1)

Re: Limit New Recruits for 16 games, unlock settings and map

Postby Doc_Brown on Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:11 pm

PLAYER57832 wrote:From the start, those of us who DO play all the maps or who like the "unusual" maps have come out against this suggestion. Those who agree are almost all those who just like one type of map, who think maps like Lunar Landing, AOR2, etc are "garbage".

Actually, my suspicion from the start has been that QH and the couple others that were highly favorable towards the idea early on supported it because they hoped it would keep newer/lower ranked people out of their games. They've tried to justify the concept with the idea that it would help new people, but really they are drooling at the possibility that no one with fewer than 50 completed games will end up in their pet maps/settings. As evidence of that, I'd point out how QH reacted to me and one or two other people (Gogatron in particular) that posted in here with strong objections back when we were new recruits (yes, I've been fighting this suggestion nearly the entire time I've been a member here) - read pages 8 and 9 of this thread (starting around post 110) to see what I'm talking about.

PLAYER57832 wrote:OH PLEASE. This "suggestion" has been around for about 2 years. It has been blasted by all but a few, mostly newer members, the entire time.

And, I HAVE been placing multiple other suggestions, some have even been accepted. I have no idea why this suggestion was elevated to sticky level. It should have died a LONG time ago! Mostly, I think folks just get tired of arguing with Q.H. It has nothing to do with liking the suggestion, not really, not in the greater CC world.

=D> Agree 100%!
User avatar
Major Doc_Brown
 
Posts: 683
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:06 pm
Location: Alabama
Medals: 30
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (3) Training Achievement (2)

PreviousNext

Return to Archived Suggestions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

Login