Conquer Club

Clickable Maps *Pending*

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

Re: Clickable Maps *Pending*

Postby yeti_c on Wed May 07, 2008 10:46 am

KLOBBER wrote:I find compliments more meaningful when they come from people who are not computer geeks.

Then you should be complimented - as if you knew me - you would know that I am not a geek.

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby KLOBBER on Wed May 07, 2008 10:58 am

You sure talk like one, Sparky!
Last edited by KLOBBER on Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KLOBBER's Highest Score: 3642 (General)

KLOBBER's Highest place on scoreboard: #15 (fifteen) out of 20,000+ players.

For info about winning, click here.
Private 1st Class KLOBBER

Re:

Postby jetpac on Wed May 07, 2008 4:43 pm

wcaclimbing wrote:
Stoney229 wrote:
lackattack wrote:Clickable maps are coming sometime this year.

Will lack not be implementing this, then... since there is now a plugin for it?

This thread is more than a year old....
I doubt this will ever be added to CC, cause of the plugin.

That's a shame, since the plugin is a greasemonkey script, and not everyone uses Firefox.
Cook jetpac

Re: Re:

Postby Herakilla on Wed May 07, 2008 4:49 pm

jetpac wrote:
wcaclimbing wrote:
Stoney229 wrote:Will lack not be implementing this, then... since there is now a plugin for it?

That's a shame, since the plugin is a greasemonkey script, and not everyone uses Firefox.

its a shame that everything you need is free as well. also is another shame that the CC homepage says
This website will not work on some outdated web browsers. For best results use Firefox.
Come join us in Live Chat!
Lieutenant Herakilla

Re: Re:

Postby multiplayertim on Wed May 07, 2008 4:50 pm

jetpac wrote:
wcaclimbing wrote:
Stoney229 wrote:
lackattack wrote:Clickable maps are coming sometime this year.

Will lack not be implementing this, then... since there is now a plugin for it?

just use it for conquerlcub
Winner: Tournament of the Minds
Private 1st Class multiplayertim

Postby MasterX1111 on Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:56 am

clickable maps are amazing
if anyone has ever played "Attack" on facebook which is facebook's version of risk, they should know what i am talkin about, it is amazing and very easy to play. I think that there should be clickable maps on this site. it makes gameplay so much easier and faster. Instead of looking at the drop down menus and at the map, back and forth, for like 5 to 20 minutes until you finish your turn u could finish it in like 2 mins max with clickable maps. Because you are not constantly looking up and down trying to figure out which to country to fortify from, which country to attack from and how many armies to use, its all right there for you to see more clear then those drop down menus. And also if you are a player like me that gets clicker friendly and ends up losin armies in australia because you think you are still takin on iceland and you ran out of armies to attack iceland, this feature will put an end to clicker friendly peoples bad habit. This feature would also probably increase the popularity of this club also because of the easy factor of clickable maps. i vote for clickable maps.
Corporal MasterX1111

Postby MasterX1111 on Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:48 pm

anyone should try facebooks versions of risk it is great, but has a couple kinks
get on facebook click on applications on the lefthand column then click on browse more applications then search "Attack" and add that application and you can get on and play either facebooks 24hrs gamestyle or you can play live games with other people on facebook. On "Attack" there are clickable maps and it makes the game so much more fun and easier.
Corporal MasterX1111

"Point and Click" instead of "Dropdown List?"

Postby j35t3r.us on Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:45 pm

Simply put, instead of having a drop down menu of listed territories for attack, reinforcement, deployment, etc etc, allow clicking on the map itself.

This would take a LOT of work I know, having to change maps, reformat the ENTIRE system, but would definitely be more user friendly.

Deployment? Click the territory, each click will deploy a unit onto your "stack" on that territory. Have a bunch to deploy? Click a number(or a box marked: "All"), then click the territory.

Attack. "Drag and Drop" your "stack" onto their "stack." Then click one of the following options: Roll 1 Dice, Roll 2 Dice, Roll 3 Dice, or Auto-Attack. Or course, on this site you are not required to move at least the number of units as the dice you rolled, so you might as well only have the option of: "Attack" or "Auto-Attack."

Reinforcement. Same as above, drag and drop. Drag from one of your stacks to another of your stacks following the set reinforcement rule for that game. Then click the # of units you would like to transfer there.

Not too passionate about this change, just thought I'd voice it. The system works. But how often have you guys "double-clicked" an attack, or a redeploy, or missed a reinforcement or something due to the current setup. Again... The system works, but hey, its a suggestion forum eh?

*poof*

EDIT: Was brought to my attention there was an Addon you can use to accomplish what I am suggesting. My suggestion goes website-wide to make it a stock play method rather than an addon.
Last edited by j35t3r.us on Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lieutenant j35t3r.us

Re: "Point and Click" instead of "Dropdown List?"

Postby GrimReaper. on Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:47 pm

theres a add on called clickable maps in the gd forum
When the first Atom bomb test was complete a colleague of Oppenheimer said: "What an Awesome and Foul display of Power." a moment later he added, "Now we are all sons of bitches"
Private GrimReaper.

Postby j35t3r.us on Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:00 pm

Ty Grim. /edited
Lieutenant j35t3r.us

Postby GrimReaper. on Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:04 pm

i really dont like it so im going to have to say no to this one
When the first Atom bomb test was complete a colleague of Oppenheimer said: "What an Awesome and Foul display of Power." a moment later he added, "Now we are all sons of bitches"
Private GrimReaper.

Postby j35t3r.us on Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:46 pm

You don't like it. Any reason or you just "don't like it."

What are the advantages of a scroll-down menu vs a user-friendly click-able map?

I hope this doesn't turn into a Linux vs Windows war ;p
Lieutenant j35t3r.us

Postby GrimReaper. on Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:51 pm

personally it gets annoying when u click the wrong thing and and a good number of ppl dont like it already its fine as it is being an option. i dont use it but some ppl do
Private GrimReaper.

Postby j35t3r.us on Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:59 pm

I see, thank you for the explanation instead of the simple "no vote."

I agree, mis-clicking could be a bigger issue that it already is. However, having all of your marbles on the table with the "Point and Click" interactive map, rather then relying on looking back and fourth between the map and the action bar is annoying as well.

I would like to hear other peoples thoughts on:

Current Interface vs. Interactive Map Interface.
Lieutenant j35t3r.us

Postby gundiesalvo on Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:52 pm

I prefer current interface, same reason as Grim.

Sure, you have to go back and forth some times, but I usually look at the map, think my strategy, and then do the movements, and trust me, you get familiar with the maps, and then you don't have to go back to look at the map so much. I've screwed up MANY times hitting "end attacks" when I want to hit "Attack" so I can see myself screwing up A LOT more if with the interactive point and click thingy.
Corporal gundiesalvo

Postby j35t3r.us on Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:09 pm

gundiesalvo wrote: I've screwed up MANY times hitting "end attacks" when I want to hit "Attack" .

That's my point. You cannot hit "end attacks" when drag and dropping. I am hoping to eliminate this exact error you mention!!! Than and when you try and reinforce, but you only reinforce 1 instead of your whole stack ;p
Lieutenant j35t3r.us

Postby wcaclimbing on Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:40 pm

j35t3r.us wrote:Than and when you try and reinforce, but you only reinforce 1 instead of your whole stack ;p

What happens if I want to reinforce 999 armies from one territory to another?
Or how would you separate auto-attack and regular attack?

Besides that, clicking on the map would take huge changes to the site to make things work. Lack would have to write a completely new system to translate those clicks into gameplay. Which would take a ton of work.

I'm fine with just using the dropdowns. it works for me.
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Postby lancehoch on Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:56 pm

Side note, j35t3r.us is Busted.
Sergeant lancehoch

Postby n00blet on Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:58 pm

lancehoch wrote:Side note, j35t3r.us is Busted.

:lol: :lol: :lol: =D>

Side note, I liked the old hand clap more....the hands seemed to mesh better, and I liked the "gloves" look. Call me picky buuuttt.....
Captain n00blet

Postby blakebowling on Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:26 am

Adding Clickable maps to the site has already been suggested. http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12160
Private blakebowling

Postby JubjubS22 on Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:34 am

Just for a point of clarification... is the general idea that the click-able map would replace the selection list and form button or
simply interact with the form elements and still require the button to be clicked before action is taken? (action meaning... before the form is posted)

It does not seem like a stretch to click a location on the map to have it chance a value in the selection list. The first click would change the attack from list, the second click would change the target list. Or a drag and drop method would change them both. I know this requires some advanced scripting and have not investigated the current add-on yet, but was trying to get more info on the general concept at this site.

Speaking of the selection lists, I personally think they should have a blank value at the top of the list to avoid having a default value that is actionable. Since the list is alphabetical, it is really easy to accidentally take action on the wrong territories simply because the list always has a value. Yes I know you should just be more careful and double check your selections before you attack and reinforce, but a blank at the top of the list is a nice safety option.
Lieutenant JubjubS22

Postby wcaclimbing on Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:22 pm

JubjubS22 wrote:Just for a point of clarification... is the general idea that the click-able map would replace the selection list and form button or
simply interact with the form elements and still require the button to be clicked before action is taken? (action meaning... before the form is posted)

It does not seem like a stretch to click a location on the map to have it chance a value in the selection list. The first click would change the attack from list, the second click would change the target list. Or a drag and drop method would change them both. I know this requires some advanced scripting and have not investigated the current add-on yet, but was trying to get more info on the general concept at this site.

Speaking of the selection lists, I personally think they should have a blank value at the top of the list to avoid having a default value that is actionable. Since the list is alphabetical, it is really easy to accidentally take action on the wrong territories simply because the list always has a value. Yes I know you should just be more careful and double check your selections before you attack and reinforce, but a blank at the top of the list is a nice safety option.

All that makes a lot of sense. Especially the last paragraph.
good idea.
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Postby blakebowling on Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:02 pm

JubjubS22 wrote:Just for a point of clarification... is the general idea that the click-able map would replace the selection list and form button or

I think the best solution would be to have a setting "Behavior on Click/Click Selection" "Assault" "Auto Assault" "Ask" and "Behavior on Click/Drag Selection" "Attack" "Auto Attack" "Ask"

I like the both options, I think that after you take a region, if you scroll up/down (on the scroll wheel on the mouse) then it would increase/decrease the number of armies that are advanced, and a click would advance them.

I do like this, and I can't believe its never been suggested before.
Private blakebowling

Postby JubjubS22 on Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:08 am

Since I am a web developer I can't help but look at things from a code perspective. lol, not like in the Matrix, I don't see the code that well, but I am very familiar HTML form elements. There are always things that can be done to improve a user interface, you just have to be careful not to make things too complex on the coding side since that can easily lead to bugs and performance issues. That fine line is hard to find.

I am exciting about exploring this site, and hopeful that I can find ways to make improvements. Maybe some just as ideas, maybe some as more. I haven't been to the Map Foundry area yet, but I do have some map ideas, maybe that will be my next stop in the forum.

Happy New Years!
Lieutenant JubjubS22

Postby Ramplate on Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:23 pm

I'd like the option to choose how many dice I want to attack or defend with.
sometimes you are better off not using the full 2 or 3 all the time
Cook Ramplate

PreviousNext

Return to Archived Suggestions