new recruits new option added

Suggestions that have been inactive for a long period of time.

Moderators: Suggestions Team, Global Moderators

new recruits new option added

Postby eddie2 on Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:07 am

Concise description:
  • limit new recruits to one of the following 2 options

    1)only being allowed to play 3 player games

    2) only being allowed to play non officer ranks

Specifics/Details:
  • option 1
    only letting them play 3 player games makes it that they still learn the valued tactic of not suiciding into one player will also make it that farmers might not try this as often because the point loss wont be covered by one game win.

    option 2
    Ok it seems it is always leu ranks and above that get accused of farming so make it that new recruits cannot join or visa versa, the same games

    option 3

    ok just now when a new recruit signs up they get directed towards the game pages. if it was possible could you not remove all limits on new recruits and make a direct link to league of chefs games. this would make it that nobody can farm or be accused of it.

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • it will make it that players who like certain settings can carry on playing them without getting accused of farming also making the game more fun for new recruits.
Last edited by eddie2 on Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class eddie2
 
Posts: 3831
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:56 am
Location: jersey channel islands
Medals: 73
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (5) Clan Achievement (10)
Tournament Contribution (5) General Contribution (3)

Re: new recruits

Postby Woodruff on Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:37 am

eddie2 wrote:Concise description:
  • limit new recruits to one of the following 2 options

    1)only being allowed to play 3 player games

    2) only being allowed to play non officer ranks

Specifics/Details:
  • option 1
    only letting them play 3 player games makes it that they still learn the valued tactic of not suiciding into one player will also make it that farmers might not try this as often because the point loss wont be covered by one game win.

    option 2
    Ok it seems it is always leu ranks and above that get accused of farming so make it that new recruits cannot join or visa versa, the same games

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • it will make it that players who like certain settings can carry on playing them without getting accused of farming also making the game more fun for new recruits.


How exactly does being enormously limited in game-choice "make the game more fun for new recruits"?
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff
 
Posts: 4973
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:15 am
Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Contribution (4)

Re: new recruits

Postby eddie2 on Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:42 am

Woodruff wrote:
eddie2 wrote:Concise description:
  • limit new recruits to one of the following 2 options

    1)only being allowed to play 3 player games

    2) only being allowed to play non officer ranks

Specifics/Details:
  • option 1
    only letting them play 3 player games makes it that they still learn the valued tactic of not suiciding into one player will also make it that farmers might not try this as often because the point loss wont be covered by one game win.

    option 2
    Ok it seems it is always leu ranks and above that get accused of farming so make it that new recruits cannot join or visa versa, the same games

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • it will make it that players who like certain settings can carry on playing them without getting accused of farming also making the game more fun for new recruits.


How exactly does being enormously limited in game-choice "make the game more fun for new recruits"?


limiting them to 3 player games means there games fill quicker and the games play faster also it possibly takes out the attraction of making 5 player games hoping new recruits join as if they lose it will take more than 1 game to get your points back.
Image
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class eddie2
 
Posts: 3831
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:56 am
Location: jersey channel islands
Medals: 73
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (5) Clan Achievement (10)
Tournament Contribution (5) General Contribution (3)

Re: new recruits

Postby Bones2484 on Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:01 pm

3 player games are the worst set up on the site. Why would we want to limit new players to the most infuriating setting?
User avatar
Major Bones2484
 
Posts: 2308
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:24 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA (G1)
Medals: 65
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (23) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (9) General Contribution (1)

Re: new recruits

Postby eddie2 on Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:19 pm

Bones2484 wrote:3 player games are the worst set up on the site. Why would we want to limit new players to the most infuriating setting?


because nobody else wants to play it so it will cut out farming. and if only new recruits join then it wont be as bad as a experianced players game and gives them the taste of the game for the 5 games they have 2 play before it opens up to more games.
Image
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class eddie2
 
Posts: 3831
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:56 am
Location: jersey channel islands
Medals: 73
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (5) Clan Achievement (10)
Tournament Contribution (5) General Contribution (3)

Re: new recruits

Postby Woodruff on Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:38 pm

eddie2 wrote:
Woodruff wrote:
eddie2 wrote:Concise description:
  • limit new recruits to one of the following 2 options

    1)only being allowed to play 3 player games

    2) only being allowed to play non officer ranks

Specifics/Details:
  • option 1
    only letting them play 3 player games makes it that they still learn the valued tactic of not suiciding into one player will also make it that farmers might not try this as often because the point loss wont be covered by one game win.

    option 2
    Ok it seems it is always leu ranks and above that get accused of farming so make it that new recruits cannot join or visa versa, the same games

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • it will make it that players who like certain settings can carry on playing them without getting accused of farming also making the game more fun for new recruits.


How exactly does being enormously limited in game-choice "make the game more fun for new recruits"?


limiting them to 3 player games means there games fill quicker and the games play faster also it possibly takes out the attraction of making 5 player games hoping new recruits join as if they lose it will take more than 1 game to get your points back.


3-player games are rife with cheating. This would drive away new players, not cause them to enjoy them more.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff
 
Posts: 4973
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:15 am
Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Contribution (4)

Re: new recruits

Postby DarthFrog on Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:16 pm

In any game site like this many newcomers leave before ever really being here because they get owned by veterans of the game.

I would support the the second option that in any game where there is at least one officer, the new recruit can't join, and officers can't join games where new recruits are in to play. Having a good experience in their first 2-3 games is detrimental to keeping new players.

Although, the three player game is not good for player retention. The limits one the gameplay is perfect for new recruits as is.
User avatar
Sergeant DarthFrog
 
Posts: 174
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:28 pm
Medals: 25
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (1)
Tournament Contribution (1)

Re: new recruits

Postby TheForgivenOne on Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:18 am

eddie2 wrote:
Bones2484 wrote:3 player games are the worst set up on the site. Why would we want to limit new players to the most infuriating setting?


because nobody else wants to play it so it will cut out farming. and if only new recruits join then it wont be as bad as a experianced players game and gives them the taste of the game for the 5 games they have 2 play before it opens up to more games.


If anything this will encourage farming if you think about it. Players could set up a ton of 3 player games, tweak settings until only NR's are joining them. Viola, they become a farmer.
Image
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class TheForgivenOne
 
Posts: 5157
Joined: Fri May 15, 2009 8:27 pm
Location: Lost somewhere in the snow. HELP ME
Medals: 83
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (14) Clan Achievement (7)
General Contribution (11)

Re: new recruits new option added

Postby eddie2 on Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:24 am

new option added.
Image
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class eddie2
 
Posts: 3831
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:56 am
Location: jersey channel islands
Medals: 73
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (5) Clan Achievement (10)
Tournament Contribution (5) General Contribution (3)

Re: new recruits

Postby PLAYER57832 on Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:12 am

eddie2 wrote:
Bones2484 wrote:3 player games are the worst set up on the site. Why would we want to limit new players to the most infuriating setting?


because nobody else wants to play it so it will cut out farming. and if only new recruits join then it wont be as bad as a experianced players game and gives them the taste of the game for the 5 games they have 2 play before it opens up to more games.
Uh... 3 player games are, in fact the MOST rife for farming and multis abuse, both.

The bottom line is that people who leave because they lose a few games probably just don't belong here. There ARE things we can do.. improve the instructions, do more with SOC, etc. However turning CC into a "nanny" (except in more extreme cases, like excluding play on the most complicated maps until they have played 5 games -- but ONLY 5 games) won't really improve the site.

Sorry, but this suggestion is a nice try, but not a good idea.
Corporal 1st Class PLAYER57832
 
Posts: 2585
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:17 am
Location: Pennsylvania
Medals: 30
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (4)
Training Achievement (1)

Re: new recruits new option added

Postby PLAYER57832 on Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:20 am

eddie2 wrote:Concise description:
  • limit new recruits to one of the following 2 options

    1)only being allowed to play 3 player games

    2) only being allowed to play non officer ranks

Specifics/Details:
  • option 1
    only letting them play 3 player games makes it that they still learn the valued tactic of not suiciding into one player will also make it that farmers might not try this as often because the point loss wont be covered by one game win.

    option 2
    Ok it seems it is always leu ranks and above that get accused of farming so make it that new recruits cannot join or visa versa, the same games

    option 3

    ok just now when a new recruit signs up they get directed towards the game pages. if it was possible could you not remove all limits on new recruits and make a direct link to league of chefs games. this would make it that nobody can farm or be accused of it.

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • it will make it that players who like certain settings can carry on playing them without getting accused of farming also making the game more fun for new recruits.

We can see you put some thought into this, but the idea of limiting new players has been brought up many, many times and rejected for some good reasons. Review the old suggestions for the full rundown, but you have to remember that many, many people join this site will all sorts of personalities and abilities. Placing arbitrary "nanny-type" limits drives more people away than it helps.

If there are limits imposed, I have always felt they need to be more limits on older/experienced players not joining games full of "cooks and privates". That way cook/privates/corporals can decide if they want to join games with higher ranked players for themselves, but CC has rejected those suggestions as well.

That said, some things ARE being done.. with SOC and elsewhere. Many changes on the pending list will help. Be a tad patient. Not everything can happen overnight.
Corporal 1st Class PLAYER57832
 
Posts: 2585
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:17 am
Location: Pennsylvania
Medals: 30
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (4)
Training Achievement (1)

Re: new recruits new option added

Postby Funkyterrance on Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:08 am

I think the second option is a very good idea.
The first option would sort of be a moot point if the first idea was in place so it's not really needed. If a bunch of low ranks want to play a big game, why not?
User avatar
Colonel Funkyterrance
 
Posts: 1929
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:52 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Medals: 22
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (3) General Contribution (1)


Return to Archived Suggestions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

cron
Login