Community Ranking of Submitted Suggestions

Suggestions that have been inactive for a long period of time.

Moderators: Suggestions Team, Global Moderators

Re: Community Ranking of Submitted Suggestions

Postby agentcom on Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:30 pm

72o wrote:I was going to propose something similar and searched and found this. Just another suggestion moved to "rejected" with no explanation and no coherent negative response whatsoever.

I understand your frustration. I think a few of us moderators share it. A system for determining which suggestions get implemented has been proposed a few times. In fact, back in the day, there was a priority system, where updates were ranked 1-5, 5 being urgent and 1 being unimportant. That didn't really work that well and was done away with.

Lack has also tried to publish a "to do" list, but that also didn't work out very well, apparently. This was all before I was ever even on the site, so I can't speak much to the specifics.

I also agree that suggestions get dismissed too often without much explanation. Those of you who follow this forum, know that I try not to do that. I'd say the biggest problem with this looks like it would require either (1) coding or (2) a manually kept list, which both would take more time than the admins/mods wanted to put in.

Behind the scenes, I can tell you that there is some discussion for making the suggestions process more streamlined and consistent. The main problem we've run into is that every mod (remember: volunteers) does things at their own pace, so simple discussions can literally take months.

Thanks for finding this though, I'll add it to my index of suggestions/list of things to work on.
Colonel agentcom

Medals: 76
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (15) General Achievement (8)
Clan Achievement (8) General Contribution (2)

Postby Woodruff on Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:02 pm

agentcom wrote:
72o wrote:I was going to propose something similar and searched and found this. Just another suggestion moved to "rejected" with no explanation and no coherent negative response whatsoever.

I understand your frustration. I think a few of us moderators share it. A system for determining which suggestions get implemented has been proposed a few times. In fact, back in the day, there was a priority system, where updates were ranked 1-5, 5 being urgent and 1 being unimportant. That didn't really work that well and was done away with.

Lack has also tried to publish a "to do" list, but that also didn't work out very well, apparently. This was all before I was ever even on the site, so I can't speak much to the specifics.

The problem in both cases was lackattack himself in my opinion, unfortunately.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Contribution (4)

Postby patrickaa317 on Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:14 am

I think perhaps if the suggestions moderator had a ranking system, (s)he could use feedback received from the community to prioritize/identify the items and use a flagging system, similar to the flags in the create/join tournament area.

Perhaps something like:
Exclamation Mark = Hot one the community seems to like (i.e. should be higher priority)
Green Dot = Stuff lack is willing to admit is in progress or "approved" to be in a future release
Blue Dot = Some community support though not a lot
etc.

Or any other organizational method would work too. Just throwing it out there.
taking a break from cc, will be back sometime in the future.
Sergeant 1st Class patrickaa317

Medals: 116
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (4)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (18) General Achievement (7) Clan Achievement (21)
Tournament Contribution (27) General Contribution (1)

Postby agentcom on Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:35 am

In my opinion, there are two axes (as in plural of axis, not relatives of hatchets) that are important: Ease of implementation and Desirability of feature. Low/negative desirability, difficult fixes wouldn't be prioritized. Easy, desirable ones should. The other ones should be made as time permits and probably at the discretion of Lack/admins/mods/some combination. There are a couple of mods who have been talking about putting something like this together. We'll see how it goes.

As for a way of community rating of suggestions ... well I have a couple thoughts (1) the voices heard on the forum are a fairly good proxy for this; (2) up/down votes, unlike the current system don't allow things like "strong support" or "meh"; (3) systems that do allow for degrees of support/distaste get complicated. So, I'm not sure how much benefit there would be in a standardized system as opposed to people just reading the suggestion and feedback and getting a feel for how people view the suggestion.
Colonel agentcom

Medals: 76
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (15) General Achievement (8)
Clan Achievement (8) General Contribution (2)

Postby Woodruff on Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:07 am

agentcom wrote:In my opinion, there are two axes (as in plural of axis, not relatives of hatchets) that are important: Ease of implementation and Desirability of feature.

Indeed, this is exactly the case, in my opinion.

agentcom wrote:As for a way of community rating of suggestions ... well I have a couple thoughts (1) the voices heard on the forum are a fairly good proxy for this; (2) up/down votes, unlike the current system don't allow things like "strong support" or "meh"; (3) systems that do allow for degrees of support/distaste get complicated. So, I'm not sure how much benefit there would be in a standardized system as opposed to people just reading the suggestion and feedback and getting a feel for how people view the suggestion.

I think the community already ranks the suggestions to a degree. If I read through a suggestion, I definitely have a feel for what the community (that participates in this forum anyway) thinks about it.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Contribution (4)

Return to Archived Suggestions