Random Turn Order (Variable)

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Suggestions Team

Re: Random Play Order

Postby Eddy_26 on Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:10 pm

rdsrds2120 wrote:Well, this would be incredibly luck based as it is then possible for, in an 8 player game, some players would get the opportunity to go two times before a different player got their second turn. I think I would become quite annoyed with this option - but let's leave it to community to decide.

-rd

Agreed, this has the potential to cause a lot of frustration in large escalating singles. Someone might cash in at 12 and not get another crack until 60 - meaning he'll probably get taken out.
User avatar
Colonel Eddy_26
 
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:16 am
Medals: 71
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (11)
General Achievement (5) Clan Achievement (12)

Re: Random Play Order

Postby greenoaks on Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:20 pm

rdsrds2120 wrote:Well, this would be incredibly luck based as it is then possible for, in an 8 player game, some players would get the opportunity to go two times before a different player got their second turn. I think I would become quite annoyed with this option - but let's leave it to community to decide.

-rd

that happens now in freestyle
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class greenoaks
 
Posts: 9997
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:47 am
Medals: 138
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (4)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (30) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (14)
Tournament Contribution (34) General Contribution (4)

Re: Random Play Order

Postby Eddy_26 on Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:54 pm

greenoaks wrote:
rdsrds2120 wrote:Well, this would be incredibly luck based as it is then possible for, in an 8 player game, some players would get the opportunity to go two times before a different player got their second turn. I think I would become quite annoyed with this option - but let's leave it to community to decide.

-rd

that happens now in freestyle

Exactly. And it's annoying.

However with freestyle the player has the ability to prevent this, instead of having to stand by and watch the cashes overtake his troop count over like 12 turns.
User avatar
Colonel Eddy_26
 
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:16 am
Medals: 71
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (11)
General Achievement (5) Clan Achievement (12)

Re: Random Play Order

Postby Jatekos on Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:20 am

Evil Semp wrote:
blakebowling wrote:I like this suggestion, assuming that the player that went last would not be able to go first in the next round.

If you take away the last player in a rounds chance of going first in the next round then it really isn't random. If you want to make it random, then make it random.

It would be more random than it is now, but without being too much luck-based (as it would be without the above stipulation).
Currently you can expect certain moves before your turn, based on the experience of the player who takes his/her turn just before you. That's why signing up after someone with poor strategy is often more beneficial than joining a game after an expert. The suggested game type would create a completely different situation, as you could not count on the previous player's moves, as you would not know who that will be. It would be a very interesting option in my opinion.

Evil Semp wrote:I can see an 8 player game, and it will happen, that the first player will have to wait 2 weeks because new recruits or cooks joined the game and never come back.

As pointed out above by others, this could not happen in 8-player games. On the other hand, in e.g. a 5-player game, it could make deadbeating players drop out earlier in some lucky cases. Would it really be a problem?
Major Jatekos
 
Posts: 188
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:47 pm
Medals: 23
Standard Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Bot Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (4)

Re: Random Play Order

Postby rdsrds2120 on Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:54 pm

greenoaks wrote:
rdsrds2120 wrote:Well, this would be incredibly luck based as it is then possible for, in an 8 player game, some players would get the opportunity to go two times before a different player got their second turn. I think I would become quite annoyed with this option - but let's leave it to community to decide.

-rd

that happens now in freestyle


Sometimes, but haven't we tried to take steps to prevent this from happening? Point in the fact that we had a site update not long ago to help prevent this?

-rd
Image
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120
Retired Administrator
 
Posts: 7230
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:42 am
Medals: 90
Conquer Cup Bronze Achievement (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (9)
Clan Achievement (7) Training Achievement (3) Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (9)

RANDOM TURN ORDER OPTION

Postby pimpjoosse on Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:58 pm

Concise description:
  • An option to create a game that will randomize the turn order for each round so there is no predictability on who goes when. It adds the balance of free style play without taking away the casual play-when-you-want element of 24 hour turn time games.

Specifics/Details:
  • Two options. Option one: Display the new turn order to the players once the round begins so they know who goes when using numbers or re-listing the player order next to the map each round. Option two: Randomize the placement of the turn marker without giving the players any clues to who is before or after them.

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • This adds a new luck element to the game to balance it out more often than not.
Last edited by pimpjoosse on Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Private pimpjoosse
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:55 pm
Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1)

Re: RANDOM TURN ORDER OPTION

Postby DoomYoshi on Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:34 pm

Support.

Although apparently I am not allowed to support suggestions so soon after signing up for mafia games.
Mark Yakich wrote:6. If you don’t know a word, look it up or die.
User avatar
Captain DoomYoshi
Entertainment Coordinator
Entertainment Coordinator
 
Posts: 4358
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:30 pm
Location: Termina Field
Medals: 73
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (8) Clan Achievement (16)
Tournament Contribution (6) General Contribution (5)

Re: RANDOM TURN ORDER OPTION

Postby chapcrap on Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:07 pm

This would be neat for each round. Make it difficult to plan things out sometimes though.
Image
User avatar
Captain chapcrap
 
Posts: 9581
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:46 am
Location: Kansas City
Medals: 168
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (31)
General Achievement (16) Clan Achievement (17) Training Achievement (6) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (34)

Re: RANDOM TURN ORDER OPTION

Postby agentcom on Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:22 pm

Cool idea. In your second option where the turn order is random, would it be completely random or only random within each round? That is, could a player play twice or more (or not play at all) in a given "round"? I like the idea either way, but I would think that a completely random system may cause problems with the round numbering system that is used for all the games (i.e. in a six player game is round 1 over when six turns have been taken or when all six players have played at least once?).
User avatar
Colonel agentcom
 
Posts: 3974
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:50 pm
Medals: 81
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Bot Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (17) General Achievement (8) Clan Achievement (8) Challenge Achievement (1) General Contribution (2)

Re: RANDOM TURN ORDER OPTION

Postby chapcrap on Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:12 am

agentcom wrote:Cool idea. In your second option where the turn order is random, would it be completely random or only random within each round? That is, could a player play twice or more (or not play at all) in a given "round"? I like the idea either way, but I would think that a completely random system may cause problems with the round numbering system that is used for all the games (i.e. in a six player game is round 1 over when six turns have been taken or when all six players have played at least once?).

Has to be random within a round. Someone getting 2 turns in a round and the other person getting none isn't fair at all.
Image
User avatar
Captain chapcrap
 
Posts: 9581
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:46 am
Location: Kansas City
Medals: 168
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (31)
General Achievement (16) Clan Achievement (17) Training Achievement (6) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (34)

Re: RANDOM TURN ORDER OPTION

Postby agentcom on Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:33 am

chapcrap wrote:
agentcom wrote:Cool idea. In your second option where the turn order is random, would it be completely random or only random within each round? That is, could a player play twice or more (or not play at all) in a given "round"? I like the idea either way, but I would think that a completely random system may cause problems with the round numbering system that is used for all the games (i.e. in a six player game is round 1 over when six turns have been taken or when all six players have played at least once?).

Has to be random within a round. Someone getting 2 turns in a round and the other person getting none isn't fair at all.


If it's random than it's completely fair. Just like dice and cards.
User avatar
Colonel agentcom
 
Posts: 3974
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:50 pm
Medals: 81
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Bot Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (17) General Achievement (8) Clan Achievement (8) Challenge Achievement (1) General Contribution (2)

Re: RANDOM TURN ORDER OPTION

Postby DoomYoshi on Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:15 am

agentcom wrote:
chapcrap wrote:
agentcom wrote:Cool idea. In your second option where the turn order is random, would it be completely random or only random within each round? That is, could a player play twice or more (or not play at all) in a given "round"? I like the idea either way, but I would think that a completely random system may cause problems with the round numbering system that is used for all the games (i.e. in a six player game is round 1 over when six turns have been taken or when all six players have played at least once?).

Has to be random within a round. Someone getting 2 turns in a round and the other person getting none isn't fair at all.


If it's random than it's completely fair. Just like dice and cards.

Fair by opportunity in an abstract way. It is not fair by outcome or fair by opportunity in a concrete way. Also, while it may be "fair" in some specific sense of the word, it won't be fun, in any sense of the word.
Mark Yakich wrote:6. If you don’t know a word, look it up or die.
User avatar
Captain DoomYoshi
Entertainment Coordinator
Entertainment Coordinator
 
Posts: 4358
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:30 pm
Location: Termina Field
Medals: 73
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (8) Clan Achievement (16)
Tournament Contribution (6) General Contribution (5)

Re: RANDOM TURN ORDER OPTION

Postby agentcom on Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:16 pm

DoomYoshi wrote:
agentcom wrote:
chapcrap wrote:
agentcom wrote:Cool idea. In your second option where the turn order is random, would it be completely random or only random within each round? That is, could a player play twice or more (or not play at all) in a given "round"? I like the idea either way, but I would think that a completely random system may cause problems with the round numbering system that is used for all the games (i.e. in a six player game is round 1 over when six turns have been taken or when all six players have played at least once?).

Has to be random within a round. Someone getting 2 turns in a round and the other person getting none isn't fair at all.


If it's random than it's completely fair. Just like dice and cards.

Fair by opportunity in an abstract way. It is not fair by outcome or fair by opportunity in a concrete way. Also, while it may be "fair" in some specific sense of the word, it won't be fun, in any sense of the word.


Ahh Doom, I think that is a completely debatable point. I don't see how it's really much different than the dice. You ever have a stack of 20 that takes 19 territs? Or had it happen to you? Same basic thing as getting multiple turns in a row. Randomness is fair, it's just ... different. But it can still be fun. Or else no one would play this site, which is based on randomness.
User avatar
Colonel agentcom
 
Posts: 3974
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:50 pm
Medals: 81
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Bot Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (17) General Achievement (8) Clan Achievement (8) Challenge Achievement (1) General Contribution (2)

Re: RANDOM TURN ORDER OPTION

Postby chapcrap on Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:38 pm

If it is not random within the turn, then it is not fair. In a 1v1, someone could get 3, 4 , 5 turns in a row if it's not random within a turn and is only random for every new turn.

It has to be random for every new round of play or it isn't a viable option.
Image
User avatar
Captain chapcrap
 
Posts: 9581
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:46 am
Location: Kansas City
Medals: 168
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (31)
General Achievement (16) Clan Achievement (17) Training Achievement (6) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (34)

Re: RANDOM TURN ORDER OPTION

Postby maxfaraday on Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:02 am

No...
From: Karl_R_Kroenen
To: maxfaraday

I have noted this post and if it continues, there will be consequences for you.
Sergeant 1st Class maxfaraday
 
Posts: 272
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:48 am
Medals: 16
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: RANDOM TURN ORDER OPTION

Postby haha on Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:36 am

i believe they have that kind of option on the risk computer game or at least did in the original one
HAHA
User avatar
Captain haha
 
Posts: 319
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:00 pm
Medals: 25
Most Improved Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2)

Re: RANDOM TURN ORDER OPTION

Postby DoomYoshi on Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:32 am

haha wrote:i believe they have that kind of option on the risk computer game or at least did in the original one
HAHA


Nope. I can verify that neither RISK nor RISK II had this option.
Mark Yakich wrote:6. If you don’t know a word, look it up or die.
User avatar
Captain DoomYoshi
Entertainment Coordinator
Entertainment Coordinator
 
Posts: 4358
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:30 pm
Location: Termina Field
Medals: 73
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (8) Clan Achievement (16)
Tournament Contribution (6) General Contribution (5)

Re: RANDOM TURN ORDER OPTION

Postby pimpjoosse on Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:52 am

One turn per player per round. Turn order is randomized each round. You can't predict who has gone before or after you so you have to watch everyone (unless of course you have a truce/alliance). Planning is already quite difficult because the game changes drastically between turns given the unpredictability of what others will do. I feel rather than hindering planning, it would even the playing field given sometimes someone will target someone else specifically because their turn comes after/before. It's the best aspects of Freestyle and Sequential turn order combined. Let's call it Freequential.
Private pimpjoosse
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:55 pm
Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1)

Re: Random Play Order

Postby spiesr on Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:36 pm

Last edited by spiesr on Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added another.
User avatar
Captain spiesr
Suggestions Moderator
Suggestions Moderator
 
Posts: 2809
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 10:52 am
Location: South Dakota
Medals: 25
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (6) General Contribution (3)

PreviousNext

Return to Archived Suggestions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

Login