Conquer Club

[GO] Moonlight Option

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

[GO] Moonlight Option

Postby Teflon Kris on Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:45 pm

Moonlight Option

• As well as Sunny and Foggy, have a third, Moonlight option.

In moonlight, players would be able to see 2 regions away, further than in fog of war (those which are adjacent to adjacent regions).

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • This option would be tactically more interesting than sunny, without having some of the drawbacks of foggy (such as no idea about an opponents drop when not going first etc.).
  • Also, perhaps this option wouldn't be too technically-difficult to introduce coding-wise?
Sergeant 1st Class Teflon Kris

Re: Moonlight Option

Postby chapcrap on Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:03 pm

I can a little interest in this. However, I think this would be mostly useful on larger maps. As always, I typically have no problems with adding options!

So, I vote for adding it.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby s3xt0y on Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:50 pm

love it
Sergeant 1st Class s3xt0y

Postby xenowolff on Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:44 pm

That actually sounds pretty snazzy. I can see it having huge effects on larger maps (or really complex ones)

Want!
'You have entirely too much common sense and perspective for this site. I am sorry, but I am going to have to request that you leave now.'
-Woodruff
Private xenowolff

Location: Pennsylvania, United States, North America, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Somewhere in the universe

Postby pjromano on Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:07 pm

One interesting feature you could add to this is only to illuminate 2 territory deep, as suggested, but also to illuminate stockpiles of a given number of troops, say, 50.

Think of it in this kind of way. If you were at war, and you had 1 troop, you're never going to see his little torch in the moonlit night - but if you have 50 troops, each with a torch to light their way, you'd see that light coming.

So, not only would you see 2 territories around you, you'd also see that stockpile on the other side of the map with 51 troops sitting on it.

This might be a good way to discourage stockpiling, and may also add some interesting strategy to spreading out troops to avoid being illuminated...
Private 1st Class pjromano

Postby iamkoolerthanu on Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:53 pm

I think that moonlighting and the torchlighting that you are suggesting are two different suggestions!
Corporal 1st Class iamkoolerthanu

Postby Teflon Kris on Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:53 pm

pjromano wrote:One interesting feature you could add to this is only to illuminate 2 territory deep, as suggested, but also to illuminate stockpiles of a given number of troops, say, 50.

Think of it in this kind of way. If you were at war, and you had 1 troop, you're never going to see his little torch in the moonlit night - but if you have 50 troops, each with a torch to light their way, you'd see that light coming.

So, not only would you see 2 territories around you, you'd also see that stockpile on the other side of the map with 51 troops sitting on it.

This might be a good way to discourage stockpiling, and may also add some interesting strategy to spreading out troops to avoid being illuminated...

Interesting idea, although it could be argues that tens, even hundreds of troops could be well hidden, whilst thousands might be slightly more noticable?

Postby Teflon Kris on Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:54 pm

iamkoolerthanu wrote:I think that moonlighting and the torchlighting that you are suggesting are two different suggestions!

Agreed

Postby GoranZ on Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:21 pm

all good about what can be seen but so far what can be attack was the same with what you can see... this might be confusing for some players...

I like the idea about exposing big stacks of units...
Even a little kid knows whats the name of my country... http://youtu.be/XFxjy7f9RpY

Interested in clans? Check out the Fallen!
Brigadier GoranZ

Postby ViperOverLord on Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:14 pm

Let me be the second to say: Snazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.
High Score: #76 3053
Major ViperOverLord

Postby Victor Sullivan on Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:52 pm

Love the suggestion, and more importantly, the name of the suggestion.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby patrickaa317 on Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:29 pm

I like the suggestion and I'm definitely not someone who specializes in coding but I foresee some issues with this when it comes to bombardments.

Example on Waterloo map. If you own Clinton 02, you can bombard Reille 06 which in turn is adjacent to Hougomont 01. It seems though it may be difficult to restrict you from seeing Hougomont 01.

That's the only issue I see with it, hopefully I'm wrong on my assumption.
taking a break from cc, will be back sometime in the future.
Sergeant patrickaa317

Postby chapcrap on Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:40 pm

patrickaa317 wrote:I like the suggestion and I'm definitely not someone who specializes in coding but I foresee some issues with this when it comes to bombardments.

Example on Waterloo map. If you own Clinton 02, you can bombard Reille 06 which in turn is adjacent to Hougomont 01. It seems though it may be difficult to restrict you from seeing Hougomont 01.

Well, Waterloo has issues anyway. It should probably be removed. Does that help?
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby patrickaa317 on Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:51 pm

chapcrap wrote:
patrickaa317 wrote:I like the suggestion and I'm definitely not someone who specializes in coding but I foresee some issues with this when it comes to bombardments.

Well, Waterloo has issues anyway. It should probably be removed. Does that help?

:lol:

It was used for illustration purposes, apply the same logic to any map with bombardables.
taking a break from cc, will be back sometime in the future.
Sergeant patrickaa317

Postby blakebowling on Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:19 pm

patrickaa317 wrote:
chapcrap wrote:

:lol:

It was used for illustration purposes, apply the same logic to any map with bombardables.

This could be applied only to territories that can attack each other, as bombards are coded in the XML differently.
Private blakebowling

Postby jeraado on Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:07 am

Personally I'd much rather see the stack-size determining visibility. The idea of fog being two terts deep just doesn't seem that different to normal fog. I understand that some maps and in some situations it would add an additional set of options, but when compared to the other option sets on CC (spoils, fog, reinforcements) it isn't anywhere near as much of a difference and therefore to me seems a little frivolous.
Cadet jeraado

Return to Archived Suggestions