Conquer Club

[Rules/MED] Cheaters should be stripped of medals [Rejected]

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

Re: Cheaters should be stripped of their medals

Postby TheForgivenOne on Wed May 16, 2012 9:01 pm

Symmetry wrote:
TheForgivenOne wrote:Alright, I am unlocking the thread. Keep the discussions civil.

Civilly speaking, why didn't you reply to my PM?

That was an error on my part. I opened it, set it aside and was going to reply after I dealt with a case, and forgot.
Game 1675072
2018-08-09 16:02:06 - Mageplunka69: its jamaica map and TFO that keep me on this site
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby GoranZ on Wed May 16, 2012 9:49 pm

yes for striping of some medals that are valuable to them and blocking them from getting some medals int he future.
Even a little kid knows whats the name of my country... http://youtu.be/XFxjy7f9RpY

Interested in clans? Check out the Fallen!
General GoranZ

Postby Symmetry on Wed May 16, 2012 10:54 pm

Master Kai wrote:There is some merit to the idea. Working out how it would work is another. Personally, if someone has the opportunity to just buy back into the game [I don't know if this is true], then maybe removing medals as well, may be enough of a deterrent for some folks. If people don't violate the rules, then they don't have to worry about how the sentence is applied.

Just my thoughts. But thanks for the suggestion. Certainly an idea worth exploring.

It's true and not true. You can buy back into the game, but not always.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby PLAYER57832 on Fri May 18, 2012 10:30 am

I like the idea of stripping medals from people who are actually convicted of cheating, being a multis. I do not necessarily think it should apply for other types of punishments, particularly forum abusers. The problem is that many forum abusers are not truly convicted/punished for that, they are punished for being multis. Partly its because being a multis is a much clearer rule to enforce.

I can see having a procedure to keep some medals.. particularly the special distinctions, which can be earned for things that have nothing really to do with gaming wins per se. Most other medals are based purely on wins/losses and therefore being a multis would have contributed to their gain. Punishment could rightly include removal of those medals on that ground.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby Symmetry on Sat May 19, 2012 2:30 am

PLAYER57832 wrote:I like the idea of stripping medals from people who are actually convicted of cheating, being a multis. I do not necessarily think it should apply for other types of punishments, particularly forum abusers. The problem is that many forum abusers are not truly convicted/punished for that, they are punished for being multis. Partly its because being a multis is a much clearer rule to enforce.

I can see having a procedure to keep some medals.. particularly the special distinctions, which can be earned for things that have nothing really to do with gaming wins per se. Most other medals are based purely on wins/losses and therefore being a multis would have contributed to their gain. Punishment could rightly include removal of those medals on that ground.

Aye, that's fair comment.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby agentcom on Sat May 19, 2012 9:35 pm

Part of this debate depends on how much you want punishment to serve a deterrent or punitive purpose rather than a restorative purpose. If it's just meant to restore some balance to the points and medals, you would want to narrowly tailor these punishments to the actions and only take away the relevant points and medals. Many who have posted here, I would presume, do not feel the need for such mercy. It is not a rebalancing of the universe they are after. It is to hit cheaters hard. I can't say I entirely disagree with these folks either.
Colonel agentcom

Postby Symmetry on Tue May 22, 2012 9:03 pm

agentcom wrote:Part of this debate depends on how much you want punishment to serve a deterrent or punitive purpose rather than a restorative purpose. If it's just meant to restore some balance to the points and medals, you would want to narrowly tailor these punishments to the actions and only take away the relevant points and medals. Many who have posted here, I would presume, do not feel the need for such mercy. It is not a rebalancing of the universe they are after. It is to hit cheaters hard. I can't say I entirely disagree with these folks either.

So what is your take?

(Please do have a look at the posts earlier in the thread though- many are thoughtful)
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby agentcom on Wed May 23, 2012 2:08 pm

Symmetry wrote:
agentcom wrote:Part of this debate depends on how much you want punishment to serve a deterrent or punitive purpose rather than a restorative purpose. If it's just meant to restore some balance to the points and medals, you would want to narrowly tailor these punishments to the actions and only take away the relevant points and medals. Many who have posted here, I would presume, do not feel the need for such mercy. It is not a rebalancing of the universe they are after. It is to hit cheaters hard. I can't say I entirely disagree with these folks either.

So what is your take?

(Please do have a look at the posts earlier in the thread though- many are thoughtful)

At this point, I've read through the entire thread. And responded to much of it. My perspective leans more to the punitive for things like multis or freestyle turn abuse. I don't mind if the punishment for this action is "overly" harsh. I think this has been a fairly consistent opinion of mine so far in this thread. The post you quoted: I was just pointing out that I think that's the reason for disagreement among posters here. Almost everyone will approve of some sort of punishment. It's just a battle over the degree of punishment. I'm for strong punishments for these blatant cheating activities.
Colonel agentcom

Postby BigBallinStalin on Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:20 am

Some feedback from the actual implementers would be nice.

How manageable would it be to strip team medals for cheaters who have cheated only in team games?

Would the optimal punishment simply be stripping medals and point resetting for serious infractions? Or should the punishment be implemented so that medals and points are reset to the time when the first multi was created (seems unnecessarily too difficult to implement)?
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby tkr4lf on Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:26 am

I would support this idea. If you cheat, you shouldn't be able to keep what you earned through deceit. A point reset and stripping of relevant medals would be appropriate in my opinion.

I don't think it should be used for forum infractions, since the forum has absolutely nothing to do with points or medals. I think this should be used purely for game-related infractions, but mainly for serious cheating, such as multis, secret diplomacy, farming/ranching, etc.

My two cents.
Major tkr4lf

Postby b00060 on Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:39 am

Lindax wrote:
TheForgivenOne wrote:I didn't know getting stripped of your premium is considered light... or getting website bans.

I consider "getting stripped of premium" a light sentence, you can simply buy it back.

I think cheaters should lose their medals and their points, can't buy those back.

Cheaters really f*ck up this site, why should they simply be able to pay 25 bucks and continue where they left off? Hit them where it hurts!

Not too mention the fact that many honest players lose their points (and medal chances) to cheaters....

Lx

Couldn't have said it any better Lindax!!!!!!!!!!! =D> =D> =D> =D>
Major b00060

Postby b00060 on Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:43 am

blakebowling wrote:IMO, anyone found cheating should be busted, and reset (both to 1000, no medals). They should be allowed a single option to buy-back (as most people don't actually think it's monitored), and if they offend again, then they should be permanently website banned.

Agreed!!!!!!! =D> =D> =D>
Major b00060

Postby rhp 1 on Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:26 pm

b00060 wrote:
blakebowling wrote:IMO, anyone found cheating should be busted, and reset (both to 1000, no medals). They should be allowed a single option to buy-back (as most people don't actually think it's monitored), and if they offend again, then they should be permanently website banned.

Agreed!!!!!!! =D> =D> =D>

+1
Lieutenant rhp 1

Location: IF YOU HAVE NO CLUE WHAT YOU'RE DOING, IT IS BEST TO DO IT....... QUICKLY

Postby Hornet95 on Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:40 am

I agree Removal of Medals and Removal of Points should be two options that the powers that be have to punish a cheater. Just an option.
Colonel Hornet95

Postby spiesr on Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:37 am

If any form of this suggestion is implemented, it needs to be done in a way which allows for the stripping (of points, medals, or whatever) to be easily and completely undone for the situations where a user is wrongly busted.
Captain spiesr

Postby hwhrhett on Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:48 am

i like the idea of cheaters getting stripped of their medals... :-)
Cook hwhrhett

Postby The Voice on Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:54 am

I like the stripping of medals, but I'm not so sure about a point reset. Presumably, most offenders will have amassed a great deal of points, and they just disappear after the reset. That doesn't help the players who have been cheated out of points. How about they are just kicked out of all active games?
Major The Voice

Postby Woodruff on Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:27 am

The Voice wrote:I like the stripping of medals, but I'm not so sure about a point reset. Presumably, most offenders will have amassed a great deal of points, and they just disappear after the reset. That doesn't help the players who have been cheated out of points.

Not only that, the ability to play at a lower rank would unfairly damage those they play after the reset.

I do also agree with the stripping of medals, however.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby deathcomesrippin on Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:01 am

I agree with multis having their points reset. I still don't agree with stripping all of their medals.
Sergeant deathcomesrippin

Postby chapcrap on Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:05 am

deathcomesrippin wrote:I agree with multis having their points reset. I still don't agree with stripping all of their medals.

If anything, it should be the opposite of this. Having a point reset effects the people they play next. If someone is actually at the level of a major/colonel and only has 1000 points, then they steal points from players.

Getting their medals stripped effects others in no way.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby Woodruff on Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:49 pm

chapcrap wrote:
deathcomesrippin wrote:I agree with multis having their points reset. I still don't agree with stripping all of their medals.

If anything, it should be the opposite of this. Having a point reset effects the people they play next. If someone is actually at the level of a major/colonel and only has 1000 points, then they steal points from players.

That's how I see it, as well.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.

Postby Symmetry on Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:17 am

chapcrap wrote:

I agree, that seems like a fair analysis.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby patrickaa317 on Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:05 pm

I think rather than stripping their medals, they get a nice shiny asterisk medal to add to their collection so that the community can easily identify those who have cheated. And I think this new medal should be backdated.
taking a break from cc, will be back sometime in the future.
Sergeant patrickaa317

Postby Woodruff on Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:21 pm

patrickaa317 wrote:I think rather than stripping their medals, they get a nice shiny asterisk medal to add to their collection so that the community can easily identify those who have cheated. And I think this new medal should be backdated.

For my money, that's not obvious enough. But that's just me.

Postby agentcom on Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:24 pm

Symmetry wrote:
chapcrap wrote:

I agree, that seems like a fair analysis.

Great point ... hadn't considered that.

What about a point penalty? Knock them down by 1000 points or something like that? Then there's not so much of a "penalty" to the next players. And if these people stop doing what they've been charged and convicted of doing, they shouldn't really be amassing points hand over fist like they were before. Basically send them back down closer to where they "should" be without punishing other users.
Colonel agentcom

PreviousNext

Return to Archived Suggestions