Conquer Club

Making ratings per game instead of per person

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

Making ratings per game instead of per person

Postby Zemendias on Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:14 pm

I have spent some considerable time reading through the forums (especially those posted about improving the ratings system) and haven't as yet found any along the lines of what I would like to suggest. There is always room for improvement in anything humans are involved in, if there wasn't - we'd all be perfect. I admit that I am relatively new to ConquerClub and have far to go to understanding all the in and outs of the site and community but one thing that already frustrates me is how the rating system in currently set up. In my opion, the single best and most important improvement that could and should be done to the rating system is to change it from a per person system to a per game system. I don't care who they are - everybody has good days and bad days. There have been games I've played in where a person was a real obnoxious pain in the a.. - and I left the appropriate negative feedback for them. Then I get into another game with them (because I forgot to add them to foe list) and they are friendly, helpful, and kind. I can only assume that at my first encounter they were having a bad day and having a good day at the second encounter. Thing is though, under the current system, if I want to leave a good rating for them for the second game it replaces the previous rating I left. When it does this, the person's rating is no longer reflective of the previous negative rating. It shouldn't be this way. For a person's rating to be reflective of who they truly are as a player and member of this community - their ratings should be an average of all their good and bad together. I believe that a person should be able to be rated for every game they play in and that their overall rating be an average of all these ratings combined.
Last edited by Zemendias on Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cadet Zemendias

Re: Making ratings per game not just per person

Postby agentcom on Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:06 pm

I've played some people dozens of times, I should not be able to rate them dozens of times. Your rating should reflect how you feel about a person NOW. People who play lots of games shouldn't control how people are ranked. I don't like this idea.
Colonel agentcom

Postby Zemendias on Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:37 pm

agentcom wrote:I've played some people dozens of times, I should not be able to rate them dozens of times. Your rating should reflect how you feel about a person NOW. People who play lots of games shouldn't control how people are ranked. I don't like this idea.

Okay so now let's break this down. By your reasoning, let's just say (as an example only - I'm really not) you play a dozen games against me and in the first eleven I am a complete rude obnoxious arrogant jacka** (and you leave the appropriate negative rating against me) but in the last game I was the best most friendly most perfect example of humankind you have ever met (and you leave me the highest best rating possible). Now say a week later (after your great rating has had the time to replace your previous negative one), I join in some other games and the other members go to check me out to make sure they want to play with me before the game starts. Well all they get to see is that you have left me the most glorious and kind rating they have ever seen, so they figure that I must be a really great guy to have in the game with them.What they don't get to see is the truth that in most of my games I'm a (not really)complete rude obnoxious arrogant jacka** and now they're stuck having to deal with me because they weren't given a truly accurate representation of who and what kind of player I truly am.

As for people who play lots of games controlling how people are ranked, I don't believe you thought your way completely through on that. Rather I play 1 or a 1000 games it doesn't matter one bit. Let's say I play only one game (which is highly unlikely), I am then able to leave a rating for all the people I played with in the game. This gives me no control over how the rating system is. Now consider I play 1000 games with totally new unpreviously played against people in every one. The effect is still the same as having only played one game. I get to leave a rating for each person I played against still giving me no control over how the rating system is. Then finally, let's say I played 1000 games with the same exact people in every game. Especially with the rating system as it is now, the effect is still the same as having only played one game. I get to leave a rating for each person I played against still giving me no control over how the rating system is. Even if the rating system was changed how I am proposing so that you can rate per game instead of per person, the effect would still be the same as having only played one game but with more honest and truly reflective ratings being displayed to other members and I still would have no control over how the rating system is (if I play against you - I get to rate you). Under the current system and with the second group of a 1000 games, I would only get to rate each person overall, not for how they were in each game we played in. It does not allow me to show how they truly were overall, only how I last felt about them. If they were great in half the games but jerks in the other half, their rating should reflect all of it - not just how I felt about how they played in their last game with me. Like I said before - everybody has good days and bad days which manifests in their games as good games and bad games. This is just human nature and should be expected by everyone, but everyone should have the ability to rate each other for how they played in each game with them. A final example I can give you demonstrating why the current system is unfair:
What if you and I played in a game together and you were a complete rude obnoxious jacka** (not saying that you would be) and I left the appropriate negative rating for you, but in reality you are normally the sweetest person on earth that everybody loves and you were just having a bad day that made you behave that way. The average person does NOT keep in mind about how everyone has good and bad days, so let's say I didn't either and after playing this game with you I decided that I didn't ever want to have to deal with you again and put you on my foes list. I never get matched up with you in another game because of this and so I never get to find out that you're not just a complete obnoxious jacka**, but just a person who had a bad day. Now I put this to you - Would it be fair to you, if you really were normally always the sweetest person on earth, to have my negative rating always and forever pulling down your rating and effecting others opinions about whether to play with you or not just because you had a bad day?
Cadet Zemendias

Postby agentcom on Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:41 am

I really don't care for this suggestion; however, since you took the time to write me a PM, I'll respond.

Yes, you can play 1000 games and leave 1000 ratings (7,000 if playing 8 player), but with the caveat that you can only leave a single rating for any one player. So in that sense people who play more games do have more impact on the overall ratings on the site. But who cares about that? What I'm talking about is somebody having disproportionate control over the ratings of an individual.

If you were a jerk to me in 11 out of 12 games, I simply wouldn't leave you a positive rating based on that 12th game. There has been a time or 2 where I've left someone a bad rating, but based on a later game improved that rating. Other times I have not.

With some players, I've finished dozens of games with or against them. I don't think that person should be able to rate me dozens of times (whether they would rate me positively or negatively).

One thing that you might want to take note of is that when you go to leave a rating at the end of a game, the star will already be half filled in. Further, you will see your old rating when you go to leave the rating. So if you see that you've rated someone poorly in the past, perhaps you should go back and see why, then determine whether they're play deserves a higher rating than the one previously left.
Colonel agentcom

Re: Making ratings per game instead of per person

Postby homelessnimeck on Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:19 pm

you're a WONDERFUL PERSON [MOD EDIT]
Last edited by agentcom on Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed flame
Sergeant 1st Class homelessnimeck

Return to Archived Suggestions