Country merge

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

Country merge

Postby mrswdk on Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:44 am

Concise description:
  • Merge Hong Kong and Taiwan with China in the CC country list

Specifics/Details:
  • Currently Hong Kong and Taiwan are listed as separate countries, whereas in actual fact they are both part of China. They ought to be merged with China to reflect everyday realities

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • It will help to bring some consistency to the global leaderboard, which currently gives an unfair ranking advantage to members based in the aforementioned territories (allowing them to, for example, place '6th in Taiwan', rather than '19th in China').
  • Will help foster greater levels of friendly competition and mutual-development between members based in China, who are currently unnecessarily segregated.
  • Will remove confusion caused by erroneous labeling of national territories as countries. Regions such as Hawaii, Palestine, Crimea and Kashmir are not listed as 'countries' - neither should Hong Kong nor Taiwan be.
Last edited by mrswdk on Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Re: Country merge

Postby Keefie on Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:53 am

I don't think the good folk of Taiwan regard themselves as part of China and if Hong Kong was given a vote I'm pretty sure that they would prefer to be self-governing.
Click image to enlarge.
Colonel Keefie
Chatter
Chatter

Postby GoranZ on Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:11 pm

mrswdk wrote:Concise description:
  • Merge Hong Kong and Taiwan with China in the CC country list

Specifics/Details:
  • Currently Hong Kong and Taiwan are listed as separate countries, whereas in actual fact they are both part of China. They ought to be merged with China to reflect everyday realities

• It will help to bring some consistency to the global leaderboard, which currently gives an unfair ranking advantage to members based in the aforementioned territories (allowing them to, for example, place '6th in Taiwan', rather than '19th in China').
  • Will help foster greater levels of friendly competition and mutual-development between members based in China, who are currently unnecessarily segregated.
  • Will remove confusion caused by erroneous labeling of national territories as countries. Regions such as Hawaii, Palestine, Crimea and Kashmir are not listed as 'countries' - neither should Hong Kong nor Taiwan be.

NO
Even a little kid knows whats the name of my country... http://youtu.be/XFxjy7f9RpY

Interested in clans? Check out the Fallen!
Brigadier GoranZ

Postby mrswdk on Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:13 pm

Keefie wrote:I don't think the good folk of Taiwan regard themselves as part of China and if Hong Kong was given a vote I'm pretty sure that they would prefer to be self-governing.

The administration in Taiwan recognizes Taiwan as a part of China and has never claimed it to be anything else.

Your misinformed opinion of what the residents of HK do and don't want aside, HK is a part of China.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby Keefie on Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:23 pm

mrswdk wrote:
Keefie wrote:I don't think the good folk of Taiwan regard themselves as part of China and if Hong Kong was given a vote I'm pretty sure that they would prefer to be self-governing.

The administration in Taiwan recognizes Taiwan as a part of China and has never claimed it to be anything else.

The People's Republic of China (PRC) claims that the Republic of China government is illegitimate, referring to it as the "Taiwan Authority". The ROC, however, with its own constitution, independently elected president and armed forces, continues to view itself as a sovereign state.

Your misinformed opinion of what the residents of HK do and don't want aside, HK is a part of China.

What would PRC know of democracy.

In addition Taiwan has tried in vain to become a member of the UN since 1993. As you know this has always been blocked by PRC.
Last edited by Keefie on Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Click image to enlarge.
Colonel Keefie
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Army of GOD on Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:24 pm

merge USA and China please so mrswdk and I can be closer together <3
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:25 pm

When the communist usurpers have been gutted and hanged from street lamps for their treason, and the glorious Kuomintang is restored to its rightful place as the government of all of China, then and only then will it be possible to say that Taiwan is part of China.
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby mrswdk on Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:31 pm

Keefie wrote:Your misinformed opinion of what the residents of HK do and don't want aside, HK is a part of China.

Oh BURN.

This Keefie lad is obviously simple. To save him from embarrassing himself further I will simply stop replying to him so that he is encouraged to go away and do something else with his Thursday evening.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby mrswdk on Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:32 pm

Army of GOD wrote:merge USA and China please so mrswdk and I can be closer together <3

Or if we're allowed to make up countries on here, why not create a special country that just the two of us are resident of?

You can name it and I'll design the flag.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby Keefie on Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:36 pm

mrswdk wrote:
Keefie wrote:Your misinformed opinion of what the residents of HK do and don't want aside, HK is a part of China.

Oh BURN.

This Keefie lad is obviously simple. To save him from embarrassing himself further I will simply stop replying to him so that he is encouraged to go away and do something else with his Thursday evening.

Hahaha - Beaten by one word - DEMOCRACY
Click image to enlarge.
Colonel Keefie
Chatter
Chatter

Postby mrswdk on Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:50 pm

So anyways, to draw a line under the trolls and continue on the discussion in a reasoned manner:

HK and Taiwan are Chinese regions. Listing them as separate countries on here is bizarre. CC does not list Palestine, IS, the Southern Confederacy or the Falkland Islands as countries, so why HK and Taiwan?
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby JamesKer1 on Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:11 pm

mrswdk wrote:So anyways, to draw a line under the trolls and continue on the discussion in a reasoned manner:

HK and Taiwan are Chinese regions. Listing them as separate countries on here is bizarre. CC does not list Palestine, IS, the Southern Confederacy or the Falkland Islands as countries, so why HK and Taiwan?

The Southern Confederacy is different than anything in that list.

I was inclined to side with you until Keefie. Now I'm agreeing with democracy.

On a more serious note than a lot of this conversation, the whole list needs a revamp. Southern Sudan is still counted as Sudan I believe, and a few other countries were mentioned in a Suggs thread a while ago that needed updates. I'm sure if the admins were keen, they could replace the system.
Join CrossMapAHolics!

Stephan Wayne wrote:Every day is Fool's Day on CC.

A new era of monthly challenges has begun...
Private JamesKer1

Postby mrswdk on Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:30 pm

JamesKer1 wrote:I'm agreeing with democracy.

Meaning what, exactly?

There is literally no one on the planet who thinks Hong Kong is a country other than Keefie.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby mrswdk on Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:38 pm

In fact, the people of Hong Kong have been asked whether they would like to be an independent country or not and 65% said no (only 25% said yes). Keefie loses, hooray for democracy \(^0^)/
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby waauw on Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:48 pm

I agree both are Chinese, but until they are factually chinese this is a null-discussion(though hong-kong is already). They are all chinese people, speaking chinese with a chinese culture. But in actuality they have seperate governments and seperate nationalities.

Taiwan is as much part of the PRC as North-Korea is part of South-Korea.
Lieutenant waauw

Postby 40kguy on Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:49 pm

mrswdk wrote:In fact, the people of Hong Kong have been asked whether they would like to be an independent country or not and 65% said no (only 25% said yes). Keefie loses, hooray for democracy \(^0^)/

Because communists government have never lied before :roll:
16:00:18 ‹Pixar› Valentines Day the one day in they year that the V and the D come together
Cook 40kguy

Postby mrswdk on Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:51 pm

So that's settled - Hong Kong should be merged with China in the country list.

And now on to the issue of Taiwan. If you are counting unrecognized de facto states as countries on the list then Zapatistan Mexico, Palestine, Kosovo and a few others need adding.

In fact, a whole bunch are missing (as JamesKer points out). There's no DPRK, South Sudan etc. I'll update the OP.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby mrswdk on Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:51 pm

40kguy wrote:
mrswdk wrote:In fact, the people of Hong Kong have been asked whether they would like to be an independent country or not and 65% said no (only 25% said yes). Keefie loses, hooray for democracy \(^0^)/

Because communists government have never lied before :roll:

The survey was conducted by the University of Hong Kong, bozo.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby blakebowling on Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:51 pm

Location data is based on geoip. If something needs to be changed, feel free to contact them.

Archived.
Private blakebowling

Country list update

Postby mrswdk on Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:00 pm

New thread to allow us to consider this new suggestion. GeoIP's listings are completely inaccurate. New, comprehensive system of country identification recommended. There must be a better one out there.

Concise description:
  • Update the country list to reflect the actual world we live in

Specifics/Details:
  • Several internationally-recognized states are missing from the list. South Sudan and North Korea (DPRK) spring to mind, as do places like Samoa and Vanuatu. If you're going to have a country list, you might as well have a complete one
  • Several territories are listed as separate countries, such as Hong Kong and the Falkland Islands. These territories ought to be merged with the nation state that they are part of.
  • The list is inconsistent in its recognition of de facto states. It lists Taiwan, but not Palestine, Kosovo, IS etc. Either all de facto states should be included, or none.

• It will help to bring some consistency to the global leaderboard, which currently gives an unfair ranking advantage to members based in the aforementioned territories (allowing them to, for example, place '6th in the Falkland Islands', rather than '19th in the UK').
  • Will help foster greater levels of friendly competition and mutual-development between members based in the same countries, who are currently unnecessarily segregated.
  • Will help bring the country list up to date
Lieutenant mrswdk

Re: Country list update

Postby waauw on Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:13 pm

You do realize the Falkland islands aren't nor ever have been a independent nation. Nor is IS an indipendent nation. Not a single country on the planet has recognized them as such.
Lieutenant waauw

Postby GoranZ on Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:24 pm

I'm in favor of including Tibet in the list :D
Even a little kid knows whats the name of my country... http://youtu.be/XFxjy7f9RpY

Interested in clans? Check out the Fallen!
Brigadier GoranZ

Postby DoomYoshi on Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:47 pm

Can we add my Tropico 3 save?
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby mrswdk on Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:01 pm

waauw wrote:You do realize the Falkland islands aren't nor ever have been a independent nation. Nor is IS an indipendent nation. Not a single country on the planet has recognized them as such.

That's rather the point. Falkland Islands are currently listed as a country on the CC country list.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Next

Return to Archived Suggestions