Conquer Club

Consolidate map list [Done]

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

Re: Consolidate map list [Done]

Postby sully800 on Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:38 pm

W F Crappeshotte wrote:Awful change. I like to play on half a dozen "favourite" maps, and having to repeatedly scroll down through the list and pick them out is tiresome in the extreme. This has definitely made things more awkward.

If you already know the map name you don't need to scroll at all. Just type it and it will jump there which should add hardly any time at all (and this saves time for many other purposes, such as scrolling to the rest of the settings that were below the map list.
Major sully800

Postby jinxmarquis on Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:37 pm

Please add the option as stated earlier here to choose setting one way or the other. Or just go back. This is annoying and can't see the benefit. I HAVE always wanted to be able to have a "favorites" option that I could just select rather than always selecting the ones I like every time.
Major jinxmarquis

Postby Jumentum on Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:15 pm

this has made it a pain for new players to choose different maps with ease. i agree that it should be an option in your personal settings.
Corporal 1st Class Jumentum

Postby TheTeacher on Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:40 pm

RayK wrote:I really hate that I can no longer search multiple maps at the same time - this is a real degrade of Game Finder!

Hold Ctrl (or on macs that other key right next to Ctrl that acts sorta like Ctrl does on PCs) while clicking. LACK you really should include a note about this to the side of the new map selector. lots of computer users that, well, aren't so good with computers don't know holding "shift" and "ctrl" are good for selecting or unselecting multiple items.
Captain TheTeacher

Postby drake_259 on Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:59 pm

Can we please have an option on the personal setting for which one we would like, i had preferred the other one a lot better, if i ever wanted to search a map which i didnt know where it was i would have used ctrl + F

im sorry lack but this is the worst thing I've seen you do and i have never really cared for any changes you have made, but this is something i must admit i do not like, and is something i would leave because of a simple change like this.

i'm begging you with all my heart please reverse it or add it as an option. (i love this site and the community is great, i do no wished to leave from such a small thing, but it not a tiny bit as great as the previous layout)
Corporal drake_259

Postby trk1994 on Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:56 am

great fixes with the link to thumbnails and instructions for us comp. illiterate types. now if we could just have that "remember my settings" button for repetative searches we could be in business. ;)
"We are advancing constantly and not interested in holding anything except the enemy. We're gonna hold 'em by the nose and we're gonna kick 'em in the ass!" -PATTON
Corporal 1st Class trk1994

Postby bignick3833 on Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:38 pm

boooo i dont like it
Cadet bignick3833

Postby saaimen on Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:32 pm

Well done lack! The newly added bits are very clarifying for everyone, and those who don't know all maps can still scroll through them very easily. Now just ignore those who don't like it yet, they'll get used to it :)
Oh, and I concur: a "favourite search" option would be really great!
ImageImage
Winner of "As Easy As 1, 2, 3! - Africa I", "Championship Series: British Isles",
"1v1 Battle to Rule Doodle Earth 2", "Connect 4 (Restarted)" and "Blind Fold Buddy - BeNeLux"
Sergeant 1st Class saaimen

Postby drake_259 on Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:56 pm

saaimen wrote:Well done lack! The newly added bits are very clarifying for everyone, and those who don't know all maps can still scroll through them very easily. Now just ignore those who don't like it yet, they'll get used to it :)
Oh, and I concur: a "favourite search" option would be really great!

No don't just ignore us, there will probably be things added to the site that you dont really like sometimes and you would let the world out

Also i have disliked many things lack has done to the site, but if never put my foot down because i could just get used to it, but this is something completely different and i do recommend two styles because im guessing its about even on which people prefer the best
Corporal drake_259

Postby Darth-Maul on Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:15 pm

WTF happened to all the maps... it was easier to choose my map... now i have to find it from the name and not the graphic... So GAY!
Sergeant Darth-Maul

Postby saaimen on Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:32 pm

Darth-Maul wrote:WTF happened to all the maps... it was easier to choose my map... now i have to find it from the name and not the graphic... So GAY!

Maybe twill should see this, it's a perfect example of 'friendly and meaningful posting' :D
ImageImage
Winner of "As Easy As 1, 2, 3! - Africa I", "Championship Series: British Isles",
"1v1 Battle to Rule Doodle Earth 2", "Connect 4 (Restarted)" and "Blind Fold Buddy - BeNeLux"

Postby Allerian on Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:39 am

Been working with this new map picker. I've learned how visual the map choosing experience is for me and how much of a negative change this is. Please create an option to have it the old way - oh, and ignore everything saaimen says.

Thank you!
-R
Private 1st Class Allerian

Postby saaimen on Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:17 am

Allerian wrote:Been working with this new map picker. I've learned how visual the map choosing experience is for me and how much of a negative change this is. Please create an option to have it the old way - oh, and ignore everything saaimen says.

Haha :)
When I said this
Now just ignore those who don't like it yet, they'll get used to it

I hope you all know I wasn't being serious. I just think too many people come here to complain about the change without giving it a chance or seeing the good side of it. That's what the 'yet' was for. Humans naturally don't like change, we like what we're used to. But something like "Hey lack you suck just get back to the old way cause now it's gay" is not a post anyone likes to read.
Those that come here with arguments and propositions to make things even better for everyone, have all my respect. In fact, I even agree that being able to choose between the old and the new map picker would be nice. I just don't know if it's possible.
But in any case, showing a bit of enthusiasm and then trying to modify the change will probably be more succesful than the sole complaint.
ImageImage

Postby Allerian on Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:19 pm

No worries, I wasn't taking you too seriously and ended up one smiley short of where I should have been.

The thing that really prevents me from embracing this change is the fact that I now have to maintain a written list of the maps I enjoy. :oops:

Postby Draza on Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:28 am

I think the search button should be at the top of the page, rather than scrolling to the bottom. Then all maps could be list by image.
Corporal Draza

Postby jrbedwell on Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:58 am

W F Crappeshotte wrote:Awful change. I like to play on half a dozen "favourite" maps, and having to repeatedly scroll down through the list and pick them out is tiresome in the extreme. This has definitely made things more awkward.

Agreed. This change is a major bummer. I downloaded the script to save my game searches so I wouldn't have to pick my favorites out every time, and that doesn't work now, either.
Colonel jrbedwell

Postby Gilligan on Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:05 am

I like the 'Browse Maps' thing, but I agree with most everyone else... You've got the code for this change and the old start a game and game finder. Would it be that hard to implement another code that enables which one you want to use?
Captain Gilligan

Postby AndyDufresne on Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:51 pm

I'm not sure how keen lack is on having two options, but he'll review this all again after some more data and weeks.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby joesdad on Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:50 am

Who the f*ck really cares? just a hanfull of you computer nerds. the biggest group of game players could not care.
Lieutenant joesdad

Postby jinxmarquis on Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:59 pm

WHY WASN'T THERE A POLL ON THIS??

CHANGE IT BACK!!

PLEAAAAAASSSSSSSEEEEEEEE~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by Night Strike on Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed the 10,000 exclamation points.
Major jinxmarquis

Postby Night Strike on Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:08 pm

There's no need for the overabundance of exclamation points. I removed them for you.

Polls are not good because they tend to be unreliable and takes away the surprise of site updates.
Major Night Strike

Postby blakebowling on Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:45 am

jinxmarquis wrote:WHY WASN'T THERE A POLL ON THIS??

CHANGE IT BACK!!

PLEAAAAAASSSSSSSEEEEEEEE~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You do realize that this has already been done, what is the need for a poll?
Private blakebowling

Postby waseemalim on Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:33 am

now it will take me forever to know that theres a new map out there...
Brigadier waseemalim

Postby saaimen on Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:09 am

waseemalim wrote:now it will take me forever to know that theres a new map out there...

No, it won't... Bèta maps will always be at the bottom of the list, and when a Bèta map goes live it is announced on the home page.
Keep your eyes open ;)
ImageImage

Postby Allerian on Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:59 am

Weeks later, this is still one of the most non-intuitive changes to CC. :?

PreviousNext

Return to Archived Suggestions