Conquer Club

[GO] Speed Games / Varying Turn Time Limits Round Lengths

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

Postby BENJIKAT IS DEAD on Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:53 pm

I would prefer a "chess clock" type solution where you could store up time to use later on in seq games, especially esc ones. (The early turns can be done in a few secs but the later turns sometimes require a lot of thought.)

I also think that the first turn could be longer than the rest - so that less people miss for checking to infrequently.
Colonel BENJIKAT IS DEAD

1 minute games?

Postby Heimdall on Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:33 pm

Concise description:
  • Have 1 or 2 minute per turn games

Specifics:
  • In freestyle, we usually end-up waiting 3 minutes for nothing

This will improve the following aspects of the site:
  • Will make games faster
Lieutenant Heimdall

Re: 1 minute games?

Postby jennifermarie on Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:40 pm

This has been suggested before, and rejected, because sometimes things happen (like the phone rings) and you'd miss your turn. 5 minutes allows for more freedom
Private 1st Class jennifermarie

Postby ^MsCarolyn^ on Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:32 pm

ya take outs are stressful enough in 5 minute games ... 2 minutes would be wayyy too stressful.

Caro
Tournaments Won: Menage a CC Tournament Winner, Kooler's Klassic Tournament Winner, Going Down Under Tournament Winner
Lieutenant ^MsCarolyn^

Postby Blitzaholic on Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:09 am

I dont like the idea
General Blitzaholic

Postby poo-maker on Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:24 am

1 minute is too short. 2 minutes or a litle over 2 minutes would be perfect in my opinion. Obviously, it wouldn't be to everyones taste but it would be much more fun too play freestyle with 2.5 minute rounds.
Brigadier poo-maker

Postby Herakilla on Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:15 am

i can go from the comp to the bathroom, do my business, and come back in a minute and 16 seconds. can we make a min and 16 sec rounds?
Come join us in Live Chat!
Lieutenant Herakilla

Postby Findolphin on Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:32 am

Herakilla wrote:i can go from the comp to the bathroom, do my business, and come back in a minute and 16 seconds. can we make a min and 16 sec rounds?

Does 1' 16'' include scaling a flight or more of stairs. I'm also assuming you mean doing a No.1. There's no way you could conduct sit down business in that time.

Love me x
Sergeant 1st Class Findolphin

Postby lalaland on Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:33 pm

This might OK if everybody was sitting at their computer, not navigating away from that page AT ALL the WHOLE TIME the game was in progress, but we all know that this is not the case.

Even if that was not an issue, it would never work on a bigger map such as 2.1. There would simply not be enough time.

Also to consider is internet connection. If some people simply do not have a rocket internet connection that would allow them to take their turn in 60 seconds.
You can say that they shouldn't be playing speed games anyways if they have a faulty connection, but the truth is that people do.

I cannot see this ever becoming implemented.
I worship the dice gods
Image Image
Private 1st Class lalaland

Postby herndawg on Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:04 pm

herndawg wrote:
TaCktiX wrote:1 minute would be rather dicey for a guy on dial-up. I'd suggest a 2 minute minimum to allow for network latency. The idea, definite thumbs-up. Speed chess-style, just applied to CC.

Didn't think of dial up. Good point. What would be the coolest if when you create a game you could choose Speed Game and then Minutes allowed
The only thing changing is the minutes per turn, still same refresh and everything.

Imagine a Freestyle Classic with like 5 or 6 people, much less of the waiting at the end for last minute attacks, it would be crazy. Yes maybe not as much time for strategy but it would really be intense.

This is the last post from a thread a while back I made. I think you got a great idea obviously I just didn't get much action on the posting. 1-5 min. turns choosing with buttons on making game next to speed game option. 1 min, 8 player, crazy nuts. don't join it if ya gotta pee. When you get back you'll be dead. =D>
Captain herndawg

Postby Herakilla on Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:08 pm

Findolphin wrote:
Herakilla wrote:i can go from the comp to the bathroom, do my business, and come back in a minute and 16 seconds. can we make a min and 16 sec rounds?

Does 1' 16'' include scaling a flight or more of stairs. I'm also assuming you mean doing a No.1. There's no way you could conduct sit down business in that time.

Love me x

yes there is a flight of stairs and if i wanted to i could do a sit down if i take off my pants as i run and start the action before i get in there and then not wipe
Lieutenant Herakilla

Speed Games

Postby killer1515 on Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:00 pm

I think there should be a one minute speed game rather than 5 minutes. What do you guys think?
Sergeant 1st Class killer1515

Re: Speed Games

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:08 pm

5 Minutes will almost certainly be the minimum time option.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby poo-maker on Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:30 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:5 Minutes will almost certainly be the minimum time option.

--Andy

Can I ask why? What harm would there be in adding a shorter time option? People wouldn't neccessarily have to play it.
Brigadier poo-maker

Postby Ditocoaf on Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:24 pm

Not enough people would play it to make it worth the trouble. Sometimes it isn't physically possible to take your turn in less than about 2.5 minutes... and anything between 2.5 and 5, isn't different enough from 5 to be worth it.
Private 1st Class Ditocoaf

Postby TaCktiX on Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:38 am

2 minutes, maybe. Variance up to 10 minutes or some-such, maybe. 1 minute? No: any spot of lag means a missed or incomplete turn. Not enough leeway for people who don't have God's Internet Connection. Variance in Speed Game round length has been suggested several times before, and I don't know what stopped it before.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby Herakilla on Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:33 pm

the reasons for no variance are mainly because of the trouble that can arise when people figure out how to abuse the xtra or lower time limits.

for less than 5 mins, like its been said already, you really need a fast connection and a good browser to effectively play

for more than 5 mins it can become ugly. lets say 10 min rounds. well if i start losing against you i could revert to a really cheap way to win and just wait you out. ill start taking all ten minutes of my turns and look! 6 turns is an hour! and thats for freestyle... its even worse for sequential lol. this means i can basically guarentee a victory if i plan a couple hours to play and then just stall those games until you leave in digust or because of real life things

so one way it makes those with money win and the other way it allows those who are willing to do ANYTHING to win when they shouldnt
Lieutenant Herakilla

Postby bcolety on Thu May 08, 2008 12:15 pm

For those who play Freestyle Speed Games in Real Time (only one game at a time), 5 minutes is too long. You basically twiddle your thumbs for 3 1/2 to 4 minutes waiting for the last 90 or 60 seconds to play.

I'd like to see a "Super Speed" option for Freestyle games only - something like 2 or 2 1/2 minutes per round. It would reduce the time to play a Freestyle Speed game in half because most rounds last the full 5 minutes.

I think 1 minute rounds are too short.

bcolety
Lieutenant bcolety

Freestyle Super Speed Game option - 2 minutes per round

Postby bcolety on Thu May 08, 2008 12:17 pm

For those who play Freestyle Speed Games in Real Time (only one game at a time), 5 minutes is too long. You basically twiddle your thumbs for 3 1/2 to 4 minutes waiting for the last 90 or 60 seconds to play.

I'd like to see a "Super Speed" option for Freestyle games only - something like 2 or 2 1/2 minutes per round. It would reduce the time to play a Freestyle Speed game in half because currently most rounds last the full 5 minutes as people wait for the last 60 seconds to play.

Thanks for considering this,
bcolety
Lieutenant bcolety

Re: Freestyle Super Speed Game option - 2 minutes per round

Postby xxtig12683xx on Thu May 08, 2008 12:34 pm

actually a really good idea, as there is alot of down time watching the seconds tick away.

-tig
"there is no avoiding war, it can only be postponed to the advantage of your enemy" NM, 1502
Sergeant 1st Class xxtig12683xx

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu May 08, 2008 1:49 pm

5 minutes will almost always be the minimum. This has been suggested before in numerous topics, I refer you to one of those by searching.

--Andy

Postby bcolety on Thu May 08, 2008 2:15 pm

Andy,

>>
5 minutes will almost always be the minimum. This has been suggested before in numerous topics, I refer you to one of those by searching
>>

Why will 5 minutes almost always be the minimum.

I've searched the previous threads and I've can't find a suitable reason why not except for:
- not enough demand to make it worthwhile
- connection speed

If this has been "suggested before in numerous topics", then there is obviously demand.
And the people with slow connection speeds are not playing Freestyle Speed games.

I agree this isn't a good fit for Sequential games because people sometimes play more than 1 sequential speed at a time, but for Freestyle Speed games it would cut game times in HALF - that is significant.

Please provide a reason why a "Super Speed" option couldn't be offered for Freestyle Speed games.

Thanks,
bcolety
Lieutenant bcolety

Postby bcolety on Thu May 08, 2008 2:21 pm

Justification for Shorter turns - from another post on 8 player Freestyle Speed games

>>

2. Almost every turn is decided in the last 12 to 30 seconds. If you don't enjoy this style of playing, i'd recommend not playing this type of game. However please stop bitching about playing this way, it is absolutely a requirement to be successful to be able to make moves in the last seconds. Anyone who is not able to, or chooses not to will never be better than marginal at this type of game.

>>

This is the style of play in these games - all I'm asking is for less "dead time" from the start of the turn until the action really starts.

Thanks,
bcolety
Lieutenant bcolety

Postby poo-maker on Thu May 08, 2008 6:05 pm

I agree with bcolety. On average, freestyle speed players spend 50% of the time waiting for the clock. It would be so much easier if the rounds were only 2 mins. Whats the harm in adding 1 more option? Noones going to force anyone to play it.
Brigadier poo-maker

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu May 08, 2008 6:20 pm

There is always a slim chance it could become an option, but it'd be low priority on the To-Do list.

--Andy

PreviousNext

Return to Archived Suggestions