Conquer Club

[GO] Speed Games / Varying Turn Time Limits Round Lengths

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

Re: Freestyle Super Speed Game option - 2 minutes per round

Postby Timminz on Thu May 08, 2008 9:32 pm

Why not just make all freestyle speed games shorter?
Captain Timminz

Speed Games 3 Minutes from 5

Postby FabledIntegral on Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:37 pm

Concise description:

Make speed games 3 minutes from 5. Speed games don't need to be 5 minutes, in freestyle or sequential. 3 minutes is plenty to do your move. In freestyle, people usually wait the entire time anyways, and would only need about a 1 minute turn max, however I realize some people like to strategize more (however please put emphasis on the fact these are SPEED games, not casual). In sequential, playing 8-player sequential games can take hours.

So what happens? People who play sequential join a LOT of speed games at once because they don't want to wait. Therefore they consistently are jumping from game to game, making people wait even longer for games (thus everyone joins multiple games at once), and no one is focused on any particular game. People who are focusing on one particular game often have the game ruined because the others don't have enough time to recognize the map and determine the best possible action, they just deploy and attack whoever quickly to get a card, then end. I've had it happen numerous times.

Freestyle is self-explanatory. No one uses the first 2 minutes anyways. No one even uses the first 4 minutes. We don't need 5 minute turns.

This will improve the following aspects of the site:

People don't have to wait as long in games, and in sequential will be able to pay more attention to the games at hand, thus not ruining the game for others. I could care less if they can't handle the games themselves, but it's ridiculous when others just are in SO many games and then just do whatever. Games would move along quicker with 3 minute turns so anyone who wants to argue they like having lots of games for lots of points all at once, it's the same concept. You'll finish the games faster, and you could still have 2 speed games open at once.
Major FabledIntegral

Re: Speed Games 3 Minutes from 5

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:40 pm

I'll get you in the proper forum. ;)

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Timminz on Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:40 pm

Uh, you're in the wrong forum. But I would rather see a 1 speed game at a time limit. I know it would never happen, but I'd like to see people paying attention to the games they're playing. If I'm playing a 6 way sequential game, I can use other people's turns to adjust my strategy, and when my turn comes, I know exactly what I'm going to do. Personally, playing multiple games just hurts my strategy in both, so I only play one at a time.

Sorry for taking your thread slightly off-topic.
Captain Timminz

Postby BaldAdonis on Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:48 pm

How many times have I seen this come up though:
Chadwick31 attacked Brazil from North Africa and conquered it from GLENN
Chadwick31 ran out of time
BaldAdonis receives 3 armies for 9 territories
BaldAdonis deployed 3 armies on Siberia
BaldAdonis attacked Ural from Siberia and conquered it from GLENN
BaldAdonis attacked Yakutsk from Siberia and conquered it from GLENN
BaldAdonis eliminated GLENN from the game

3 minutes is not a lot of time to set up for kills on many fronts, especially when you need to test the water on a few 20 stacks. Maybe you can do it with clickable maps and autoattack, but I'd prefer the extra time.
Captain BaldAdonis

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:51 pm

5 minute turn lengths will most likely be the shortest turn length we'll ever offer.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby mibi on Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:55 pm

some turns on some maps just take a long time, especially on unlimited mortification.
Captain mibi

Postby FabledIntegral on Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:01 pm

BaldAdonis wrote:How many times have I seen this come up though:

3 minutes is not a lot of time to set up for kills on many fronts, especially when you need to test the water on a few 20 stacks. Maybe you can do it with clickable maps and autoattack, but I'd prefer the extra time.

Are you kidding? How slow are you..?
Major FabledIntegral

Postby Johnny Rockets on Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:11 pm

Well, how about Speed (5min) and Speed Plus (3min) ???

Keep the 5 min version for more complex maps or high # player games, and put in 3 min option for one one ones.

Best of both worlds.

John
Sergeant 1st Class Johnny Rockets

Postby Timminz on Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:13 pm

FabledIntegral wrote:
BaldAdonis wrote:How many times have I seen this come up though:

Are you kidding? How slow are you..?

I think you missed the point.
Captain Timminz

YES!!

Postby frankroz on Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:12 pm

I am all in favor of 3 minute games....just give us the option - it can't be THAT hard to code if there is already a 5 minute game.

If people want the full 5 minutes - then don't join a 3 minute game.

If the code folks would go out to the speed game database and see how long the average turn took (minus the deadbeats), I'm guessing they would find the turns to take well under 3 minutes.
Sergeant 1st Class frankroz

Re: YES!!

Postby Timminz on Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:20 pm

frankroz wrote:If the code folks would go out to the speed game database and see how long the average turn took (minus the deadbeats), I'm guessing they would find the turns to take well under 3 minutes.
true, MOST of the turns take a lot less than 5 mins. Hell. The majority of mine are about 20 seconds, but try killing someone on 4 fronts, with 100 armies, over 15 terits, without just blindly auto-ing everything, and you'll find that 3 mins is nowhere near enough for the MOST IMPORTANT turns.

disclaimer- the majority of my speed games are 6 way escalating sequential, and thus, I'm commenting specifically on those.
Captain Timminz

Postby frankroz on Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:14 am

so what your saying is you wouldn't sign up for a 3 minute game. that's fine - BUT, if there is a crowd out here that would like to try that option - why is everyone being so negative?

why does this forum have to bash every new idea?

there are a few options I don't care for in the game, but for the most part I like the website, so I became a paying member. At the same time, people like to see new features. It seems like everytime I see someone suggest a new feature, there are half a dozen folks explaining why it won't work.

But the beauty of this game is selecting options you want. Perhaps "you" like playing escalting only games - personaly I think an escalating game is all about luck - but I think it is great folks can play that option if they wish to.

so, there are folks that wish for a 3 minute option - heck, I would also like to see a 12 hour option....why do "you" care if I find a group of folks that like those options, and we play some games?

Can't "you" see that the more options available translates into a larger interest from the general public? A larger interest translates into more funds - and with more funds comes more features....

This website is like a club, there are always members leaving and new ones coming on board. If you can't find ways to bring new folks on board eventually the site will die.

Postby Timminz on Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:19 am

frankroz wrote:why does this forum have to bash every new idea?

Not every new idea is bashed. However, this is not a new idea. It has been suggested numerous times, in various forms, and the response is always...
AndyDufresne wrote:5 minute turn lengths will most likely be the shortest turn length we'll ever offer.
Captain Timminz

Postby frankroz on Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:27 am

funny

by saying numerous folks have requested this on several occasions means there is a MARKET for the idea.

you JUST made the point I was trying to make - folks want the dang feature - why do the powers that be ingnore a SIMPLE request like this

if it doesn't work - the idea will kill itself.....considering there is already code to handle 5 minute games - just how many seconds/minutes would it take to add this feature - certainly less than 30 minutes.

Postby FabledIntegral on Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:31 am

Timminz wrote:
frankroz wrote:If the code folks would go out to the speed game database and see how long the average turn took (minus the deadbeats), I'm guessing they would find the turns to take well under 3 minutes.
true, MOST of the turns take a lot less than 5 mins. Hell. The majority of mine are about 20 seconds, but try killing someone on 4 fronts, with 100 armies, over 15 terits, without just blindly auto-ing everything, and you'll find that 3 mins is nowhere near enough for the MOST IMPORTANT turns.

disclaimer- the majority of my speed games are 6 way escalating sequential, and thus, I'm commenting specifically on those.

If you want to try killing someone on 4 fronts, with over 100 armies, I would say that -

1. You shouldn't even slowly attack unless you have a significant advantage, so there's no point in even trying unless you're going to go through with an auto really.
2. You have attackers advantage.
3. If you are trying to kill someone with over 100 armies, over 15 territories, you are not playing classic.
4. It's a speed game, meant for you to act fast. If you aren't good enough/capable enough to do it, not my fault. Considering you can spam the normal "attack" button as fast as you want, I could do it all in less than a minute, and for each kill you get, you get 2 minutes 30 seconds tacked on, which is MORE than enough (30 s less) to do whatever you need.
Major FabledIntegral

Postby killmanic on Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:46 am

Timminz wrote:Uh, you're in the wrong forum. But I would rather see a 1 speed game at a time limit. I know it would never happen, but I'd like to see people paying attention to the games they're playing. If I'm playing a 6 way sequential game, I can use other people's turns to adjust my strategy, and when my turn comes, I know exactly what I'm going to do. Personally, playing multiple games just hurts my strategy in both, so I only play one at a time.

Sorry for taking your thread slightly off-topic.

Also it would stop people like theblackmages
Colonel killmanic

Postby BaldAdonis on Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:47 am

FabledIntegral wrote:If you want to try killing someone on 4 fronts, with over 100 armies, I would say that -

1. You shouldn't even slowly attack unless you have a significant advantage, so there's no point in even trying unless you're going to go through with an auto really.
2. You have attackers advantage.
3. If you are trying to kill someone with over 100 armies, over 15 territories, you are not playing classic.
4. It's a speed game, meant for you to act fast. If you aren't good enough/capable enough to do it, not my fault. Considering you can spam the normal "attack" button as fast as you want, I could do it all in less than a minute, and for each kill you get, you get 2 minutes 30 seconds tacked on, which is MORE than enough (30 s less) to do whatever you need.

ITT: Freestylers can't block.
Captain BaldAdonis

Postby BENJIKAT IS DEAD on Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:25 am

Please please please leave it at 5 mins (or at least keep that as an option)

Sequential turns on large maps can take a while and whilst they are meant to be "speed" games, let's not forgo logical pondering entirely.

And just because Clickable Maps users seem to be dominating freestyle speed games, let's not play into their hands further :)

There is also the major issue of the length of the very first turn - if the turns are very short then rather than browsing the forums or what-have-you when waiting for a speed game to start, you would literally have to be just clicking refresh.
Colonel BENJIKAT IS DEAD

OMG

Postby BlutosTruckers on Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:41 am

I can't believe all the nay sayers and whiners.

Add a freaking option for 3 minute games (leave 5 minute games alone).....for those slow at math, that will gice us 3 options (BTW, I like the idea of 12 hour games as well).

Now, since the 5 minute games won't be touched - there is no more need for the anti-3 minute game folks to chime in anymore - your making my head hurt.

Y'all sound like a bunch of high school girls.
Corporal BlutosTruckers

Re: OMG

Postby lancehoch on Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:33 am

BlutosTruckers wrote:I can't believe all the nay sayers and whiners.

Add a freaking option for 3 minute games (leave 5 minute games alone).....for those slow at math, that will gice us 3 options (BTW, I like the idea of 12 hour games as well).

Now, since the 5 minute games won't be touched - there is no more need for the anti-3 minute game folks to chime in anymore - your making my head hurt.

Y'all sound like a bunch of high school girls.

You are missing the main point that we (by we, I mean people who are against this idea or who keep telling you it will not happen) all keep saying. lack, the guy who owns and runs this great site, has said on many an occasion "There will be no more turn length options." People have previously suggested 1 min, 3 min, 10 min, 1 hour, 12 hour, 36 hour, 48 hour, 7 day turn lengths. Thats 8 additional options that have popped up, but lack has said no to each and every one. Your idea is already on the list of ideas rejected by the creator of the site. I am sorry, but this will never be implemented.
Sergeant lancehoch

Re: OMG

Postby BaldAdonis on Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:00 am

BlutosTruckers wrote:for those slow at math, that will gice us 3 options (BTW, I like the idea of 12 hour games as well).

And for those who don't pay for premium, still 1.
Captain BaldAdonis

Postby Soloman on Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:12 am

bad Idea If anything because of all the different maps and escalating cards there should be an option for 10 minutes per turn speed games.
You Have 2 choices,You can either Agree With Me or Be Wrong!!! http://www.myspace.com/solomanthewise http://360.yahoo.com/bolar35
Sergeant Soloman

Postby Luvr on Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:29 am

I think it would just split the games up even more. As is there's only ever like a page of speed games to pick from, if there were more turn length options the games would be split up even more and finding a game you want (map, cards, turn order, fortifications, fog AND turn length?) would be even more annoying. Also in some games like others have mentioned, particularly larger Sequential/Escalating games, even if you know what move you're going to make, it takes TIME to kill people especially without Clickable Maps and nothings more frustrating than missing a 99% chance at winning because your time ran out. If you get bored waiting for your turn in speed games then fix it. Multitask, read a book while eyeing the game, read junk on the internet, read the forums, meditate, it doesn't matter. OR instead of joining speed games join a hundred casuals and then it's always gonna be your turn! Or close to it...Basically it's not gonna change so deal with it in whatever manner suits you. :)
Corporal Luvr

Postby kletka on Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:13 am

:idea: Leave it 5 minutes except for doodle earth games where make it 30 seconds...

If you want other crazy idea, I have a plenty :lol:
Learning the force to control the dice (highest ever score: 3128, highest ever rank: 40)
Major kletka

PreviousNext

Return to Archived Suggestions