Conquer Club

'Skip game' feature for 'Jump to next game' button *Done*

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

Re: Multiple games running at the same time..

Postby greenoaks on Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:09 am

i usually have about 120 and have not had a problem. i scroll through and select 10 or 20 at a time, say all the classic or AoR:Magic games, play them and then select another bunch.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby Bruceswar on Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:29 am

Seems like a hassle to me. I would get lost as to which ones to play and not play. I like my idea better. :) I run about 100 games at a time.
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby greenoaks on Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:00 am

your idea no matter how great you or i think it is will not happen any time soon, if at all. you will just have to put up with that one game you left always popping up or find a work-around like i have.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby PLAYER57832 on Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:02 am

I like this idea. I will often pick out the "one on one" games or the quicker to play games first. That way, I won't leave someone more or less waiting for me to finish waiting while I take 15 minutes on Waterloo. I also tend to play all of one map consecutively, which means I stay in the same strategy "tack" more or less.

Granted, I can always just go into My Games and pick the correct game, but this feature would be nice.

A problem I can forsee -- if you forget that you "skipped" a game, you might end up deadbeating. I would therefore suggest it go to the bottom of the
ACTIVE games -- maybe add one second or one minute to the last active game on the timer, for example. OR, have it reset automatically when you leave "my games"/ log out of CC.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby Bruceswar on Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:05 pm

I stated this game would go to the back the ready to play games. Not all your total games. I do not see how you could deadbeat...
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby Tieryn on Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:09 pm

Perhaps another way around this... is a "skip this game in "next"" sort of check..

Often I will click "play next game" and it might be a doubles, or a tournament, or a some game for some reason that at that second I don't want to play, If I could click something that would mark it off (for this turn only) as "looked at but not played" and skip to the next game, and keep playing through that would be great... Only at the end of all games would the "jump to next game" come back to this one... or I could access it through the "my games" folder.

I like running through game at a time and the jump to next game button is -great- but if it had just this one small option (perhaps sitting next to "Begin turn" is a button that reads "Come back to this game" which will take you to the next game, and put a little check against this one to not be the "next game" even if it's got the lowest time).

I don't think it would be a massive code job, and it would be really neat and remove the only problem the "jump to next playable game" has.
Sergeant 1st Class Tieryn

Postby Bruceswar on Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:02 am

I would all be for a Skip button or pass button. Just something when I click next it does not keep bringing me back to a game I do not wish to play at this time.
Corporal Bruceswar

"Mark as Viewed" Games

Postby Natewolfman on Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:47 am

Concise description:
  • A "Mark as Viewed" button in games so when you click the handy dandy 'jump to your next playable game' button, you can skip games you want to

Specifics:
  • Next to the "begin turn" link, add a check box to allow a player to skip over this game when they click on "jump to your next playable game"

This will improve the following aspects of the site:
  • it will allow for faster movment in between games when you have already decided to skip a game for now (example: team games and you want to wait for advice from a partner)
Sergeant 1st Class Natewolfman

Re: "Mark as Viewed" Games

Postby PLAYER57832 on Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:26 pm

I like it!
There are a LOT of reasons to skip a game.
Waiting for advice (as you mentioned), having time only to play a few quick turns right then, wanting to take your 1v1 or "real time" game turns first, etc.
I have even had a couple of games where one player had to be out for a day... the rest of us agreed to just postpone our turns a bit (sequential) so there would be no misses.

This would hurt nothing and would add a lot!
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby cicero on Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:39 am

OK, so when the game is marked as viewed at what point will "jump to next playable game" start working properly again?

Let's say I mark a particular game as viewed and then use "jump to next playable game" to play all my other turns. What happens when I've played all those ? Does it just revert to the My Games page? If so I can see this feature encouraging me to miss turns ...
FREE M-E-Mbership and simple rules. Conquer Club - it's not complicated.

random me statistic @ 13 December 2008 - 1336 posts : 232nd most public posts (not counting Tower of Babble) of all time.
Sergeant cicero

Location: with the infected neutrals ... handing out maps to help them find their way to CC

Postby yeti_c on Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:07 am

I think "Mark as viewed" should put this game to the end of your list...

So once your games that are not viewed are done - then it starts to cycle through the "viewed" games again (in order of time waiting)

I like this feature too.

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby cspare on Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:02 am

I reckon this would fit nice in a plugin/addon (BOB maybe?)
Sergeant 1st Class cspare

Postby yeti_c on Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:04 am

cspare wrote:I reckon this would fit nice in a plugin/addon (BOB maybe?)

Not nicely codeable... would require prior knowledge of the My Games screen at all times.

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby PLAYER57832 on Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:57 am

***Edited after reading next comment***
LIke the idea of putting the skipped game to the bottom of the queu.

EXCEPT, I would like to also see a time-based warning. (maybe a speed-game type PM alert) saying "warning, you have less than one hour to take your turn ...")
Last edited by PLAYER57832 on Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby Natewolfman on Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:03 pm

yeti_c wrote:I think "Mark as viewed" should put this game to the end of your list...

So once your games that are not viewed are done - then it starts to cycle through the "viewed" games again (in order of time waiting)

C.

I like this way better then returning to 'my games' page, a good idea yeti.

ciero - if its done as yeti stated, then you wont have the oops factor you mentioned ;)

Postby Natewolfman on Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:23 pm

the sugg is falling to the wayside... anyone else have any opinions?

Postby The Neon Peon on Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:29 pm

It is a good idea, but what if all of them are viewed? You need to make sure that they are at the bottom, but once they are there, they need to sort themselves by time remaining, or the order will be random.

The problem I see is that if you click on a game, then once it is marked as viewed, lose it in the my games page, it will be hard to find in any way, since the order will have changed.
Lieutenant The Neon Peon

Postby n00blet on Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:31 pm

Nice and simple, I doubt it would be exceedingly hard to code, and it would make life a lot easier for tournament directors/clan leaders. Gneiss ;)
Captain n00blet

Postby Natewolfman on Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:19 am

The Neon Peon wrote:It is a good idea, but what if all of them are viewed? You need to make sure that they are at the bottom, but once they are there, they need to sort themselves by time remaining, or the order will be random.

The problem I see is that if you click on a game, then once it is marked as viewed, lose it in the my games page, it will be hard to find in any way, since the order will have changed.

i like yeti's idea, if you mark a game it goes to the end of your games not played yet, then once you finish all the games not marked, it will start to cycle through those that you marked. As it stands when you look at the 'my games' page they will be in the correct order time wise, it would just skip them when you click the "view next playable game' button

Postby max is gr8 on Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:28 pm

I would like this function for games I'm not in, so then I know which tg I've checked
‹max is gr8› so you're a tee-total healthy-eating sex-addict?
‹New_rules› Everyone has some bad habits
(4th Jan 2010)
Corporal max is gr8

Postby n00blet on Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:23 pm

max is gr8 wrote:I would like this function for games I'm not in, so then I know which tg I've checked

Oh yes, it seems I misread a bit.

Still, I love the idea. However, I would want it extended to game I am not in, so that I can quickly and easily see the results of many games (for the benefit of tournament directors and clan leaders, if nothing else).
Captain n00blet

"Skip this game" in My Games list

Postby PLAYER57832 on Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:32 am

Specifics:
Put in a "skip this game for now" button that shows up when you click "go to next active game", so that if you hit a game you want to skip for a bit, it won't show unless you hit My Games or there are less than 2 hours (4 hours.. even 12hours) left to play the game.

This will improve the following aspects of the site:
I know this was suggested before. I always thought it would be a nice feature, but it never was a HUGE big deal until this new Training program came about. PLEASE move this suggestion up in the priority list!

Now, a lot of people have a real reason to want to skip a game (they are waiting for classroom input).

It is particularly an issue for premiums, who play lots of games. Its a lot quicker to just click on "next game" than to have to hit "My games" each time. Also, I have several times clicked on "begin turn" without thinking ... when I really needed to wait.

The biggest problem is that, by the same token, one could forget a game. This is why I suggested a "timer" feature. I said 2 hours, but for that matter, it could even automatically reset when 12 hours is up. And/or when you log off.

ALSO --- without clicking on the old link, there are LOTS of reasons people might want to skip a game.

Some mentioned have been:
-wanting to play games with little thought or time required before long turns
-wanting to play 2 player (semi-real time perhaps) games before others
-delaying turns because you know someone is on vacation or will have hard time returning and you want to help ensure they don't miss.
-"superstition" (feeling unlucky in a particular game)
-wanting to play freestyle before sequential games
-etc.
Last edited by PLAYER57832 on Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Re: "Skip this game" in My Games list

Postby phantomzero on Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:20 pm

I've often thought about this. This would make playing a bunch of games easier.

I often take turns on my iPhone, but I don't like to take "important" turns, like when there could be a massive trade in, on my phone. I have to keep going to My Games and back.

Great suggestion PLAYER57832.
Sergeant 1st Class phantomzero

Postby neanderpaul14 on Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:00 pm

Excellent idea. I keep thinking this is needed. Quite often I have a turn in a game that I'm thinking deeply about and am not ready to play yet. Therefore I need to keep going back to the my games list while I take easier turns and ferment on the more thoughtful one.
Cook neanderpaul14

Location: "Always mystify, mislead and surprise the enemy if possible." - Thomas J. Jackson

Postby sailorseal on Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:05 pm

This is a excellent suggestion like it has been said, and especially for players wish slow internet
Great one!
Cook sailorseal

Next

Return to Archived Suggestions