Conquer Club

Tournament Drop Down in Game Finder

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

Tournament Drop Down in Game Finder

Postby Coleman on Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:56 am

Not a big deal but the tournament drop down is driving me crazy in game finder.

A lot of abandoned or finished tournaments can be found in it (which I understand if you want to find those) but they are mixed in alphabetically with all the active tournaments.

Also, the tournaments I'm running used to appear on the top but now they are mixed in with everything else. :( I'm not sure when this change happened or why.

I'd like it if your own tournaments were alphabetical on top followed by active then finished then abandoned instead of all mixed together as the list is gigantic now.

Priority: 5/5 (If Easy To Code) 4/5 otherwise.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby lackattack on Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:32 pm

The reason some tourneys moved off the top of the list is that they were saved incorrectly with leading spaces.

I agree that the list is becoming cumbersome and next time I ugrade the tournament system I'll try to address this.
Sergeant lackattack

tournament game finder

Postby timmytuttut88 on Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:22 pm

<Subject>:
Concise Idea: have the game finder for tournaments be shortened

<Body>:
Suggestion Idea: well when your looking through the game finder for your tournament i've noticed the tournament list is as long as hell. I think instead of seeing a list you can type in the name of the tournament and itll show you all the games of it.

Specifics: i already gave them

Why it is needed:since the tournament search bar thing is as long as hell and its only going to get longer.
Captain timmytuttut88

Postby Optimus Prime on Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:30 pm

Oddly enough, if you just click on the list and start typing it jumps straight to the tournament title you are typing in. ;)
Cadet Optimus Prime

Postby timmytuttut88 on Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:39 pm

Optimus Prime wrote:Oddly enough, if you just click on the list and start typing it jumps straight to the tournament title you are typing in. ;)

oops
Captain timmytuttut88

[Suggestion] - enhance finding games belonging to tournamens

Postby Dako on Sun May 10, 2009 8:07 am

Right now it is kind of hard to find the games belonging to a certain tournament so I have 3 ideas how to enhance it.

1. Split tournaments drop-down list in game finder into 2 different drop-downs - active tournaments and inactive/completed tournaments. Will be no more problems naming tournaments starting with ", ', A and other first-ish symbols.
  2. Keep 1 drop-down list but make sections inside of it - first active tournaments, then inactive/completed ones. You can make section by adding "disabled" to an <option> tag inside the select. Also will help to find the game you are looking for.
  3. Make a bb-code to list all the games belonging to a tournament you specify (so it will link to game finder page results with games on the tournament, where you can also specify what games (waiting, finished, active) you are looking for ie [tour=waiting]Name of the tournament[/tour], [tour=finished]Name of the tournament[/tour] and [tour=active]Name of the tournament[/tour]). This isn't very helpful or essential but will simplify it for the orgas and people searching/browsing games.

Discuss please.
Colonel Dako

Re: [Suggestion] - enhance finding games belonging to tournamens

Postby BaldAdonis on Sun May 10, 2009 9:09 am

As far as I know, the game finder can only check things related to the game. So it can differentiate between tournaments, because they have different labels, and between active/completed games, because they have different states, but it doesn't know whether a tournament is active or complete, because that information is outside of the individual game.

I think if you could limit searches by date (ie. began after 01/01/2009; finished after 10/05/2009; finished before 01/01/2007) then you'd have an ad-hoc solution to your problem, based on information kept in the game log.

That third idea would be very nice for large, league-style tournaments. Often I'll get a PM which says something to the extent of "Go to game finder and search for your team name, password is...", and this code would do just that.
Captain BaldAdonis

Postby Dako on Sun May 10, 2009 11:16 am

Yes, but you don't consider that list of the tournaments is generated dynamically via php and you can add one more check to the query - if all the tournament games = finished - then tournament is completed.
That is a very simple check and we can even speed that up - add one more boolean column to the tournaments table and store there if it is completed or not. Will save some mysql time for us.
Being a web-developer myself I know how to optimise different processes even if it seems to be impossible ;).
Colonel Dako

Postby Night Strike on Sun May 10, 2009 11:44 am

Dako wrote:Keep 1 drop-down list but make sections inside of it - first active tournaments, then inactive/completed ones. You can make section by adding "disabled" to an <option> tag inside the select. Also will help to find the game you are looking for.

This is an idea that I've liked for a while. Hopefully at some point we will get the drop down menu to list the active tournament privs first, and then the deactive ones. You can start typing in the name of the tournament in the menu and it will automatically go to it.
Major Night Strike

Postby Optimus Prime on Mon May 11, 2009 9:18 am

Dako wrote:Yes, but you don't consider that list of the tournaments is generated dynamically via php and you can add one more check to the query - if all the tournament games = finished - then tournament is completed.

That won't work. Just because all current tournament games are finished does not mean the tournament is finished, it might only mean that the organizer is still in the process of making more games. ;) In order for it to work the database query needs to run off of whether or not the tournament privileges are active or not.
Cadet Optimus Prime

Postby Dako on Tue May 12, 2009 8:15 am

Optimus Prime wrote:
Dako wrote:Yes, but you don't consider that list of the tournaments is generated dynamically via php and you can add one more check to the query - if all the tournament games = finished - then tournament is completed.

That won't work. Just because all current tournament games are finished does not mean the tournament is finished, it might only mean that the organizer is still in the process of making more games. ;) In order for it to work the database query needs to run off of whether or not the tournament privileges are active or not.

Ok, you got me :) - I don't know exact DB structure and how it works in CC. But you understood the idea. You haven't stated your opinion on the suggestion itself, by the way ;).
Colonel Dako

Postby Optimus Prime on Tue May 12, 2009 10:04 am

Dako wrote:
Optimus Prime wrote:

Ok, you got me :) - I don't know exact DB structure and how it works in CC. But you understood the idea. You haven't stated your opinion on the suggestion itself, by the way ;).

It's a suggestion that has been made multiple times and is already on the To-Do list for lackattack. He just has to get to it is all. ;)
Cadet Optimus Prime

Postby max is gr8 on Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:34 pm

This can sort of be done now just without the tags.
ā€¹max is gr8ā€ŗ so you're a tee-total healthy-eating sex-addict?
ā€¹New_rulesā€ŗ Everyone has some bad habits
(4th Jan 2010)
Corporal max is gr8

TWo Tournament box in Game finder

Postby Qwert on Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:15 pm

Plain and simple, need to create two tournament boxes-in one all finished,and in other Active tournaments.
With big explosion of more and more tournament,its become step by step hard to find active tournament to check tourny stats.
Every time i need to scrool and scroll up and down to find what i want to find.
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Re: TWo Tournament box in Game finder

Postby Sir. Ricco on Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:44 pm

Yes, I am in full support of this. I get tired of having to scroll and scroll for my tournament.
Captain Sir. Ricco

Fine tuning: Game finder / tournament search [Suggestion]

Postby alster on Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:06 am

Concise description:
  • Change the game finder / tournament search by categorizing tournaments by year started.

Specifics/Details:
  • An additional menu where searches are made year-by-year is added.

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • The number of tournaments is increasing pretty quickly. Now, searching for a tournament - even by a short cut search (i.e. hitting a few letters in the menu when one knows the tournament name) - is pretty tedious. By adding a menu allowing searches by year (starting year of the tournament - would suggest that each tourney is labeled by the tournament directors) would allow easier searches (usually one aren't that interested in a tournament that has been over for two years). This is just a clarity/interface suggestion. But think it would be good in the long-run. Also, perhaps no need to back-track. All ongoing/finished tournaments could just be put in a 2006-10 category. Then all tournaments starting from 1 January 2011 could get a 2011 label.
Gengoldy wrote:Of all the games I've played, and there have been some poor sports and cursing players out there, you are by far the lowest and with the least class.
Sergeant 1st Class alster

Re: Fine tuning: Game finder / tournament search [Suggestion

Postby edwinissweet on Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:11 pm

I think that what you want is that once you pick the year it automaticly updates itself so that only tournaments within that year are shown. Kind of like when filling out an online form and picking your state and the cities changing to those within that state. Which i think would mean a change of software of some kind, since the search doesnt start "sorting" things until after you submit your search.
Lieutenant edwinissweet

Re: Fine tuning: Game finder / tournament search [Suggestion

Postby alster on Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:55 am

edwinissweet wrote:I think that what you want is that once you pick the year it automaticly updates itself so that only tournaments within that year are shown. Kind of like when filling out an online form and picking your state and the cities changing to those within that state. Which i think would mean a change of software of some kind, since the search doesnt start "sorting" things until after you submit your search.

Exactly. But doesn't even have to be a pcick/update - could be a madatory way to sort the tourneys.
Gengoldy wrote:Of all the games I've played, and there have been some poor sports and cursing players out there, you are by far the lowest and with the least class.
Sergeant 1st Class alster

Re: Tournament Drop Down in Game Finder

Postby lackattack on Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:56 am

Merged similar suggestions.

I agree something needs to be done about that rediculous drop down.

Here are the options I'm considering to replace the drop-down:
  • A partial match text field (it's easy to implement!)
  • An ajax autocomplete text field
  • A popup tournament finder next to a text field (like [find a member] for usernames)

I think we should also add a [find games] link to tournament tabs (like on the ratings page).
Sergeant lackattack

Postby IcePack on Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:24 am

lackattack wrote:Merged similar suggestions.

I agree something needs to be done about that rediculous drop down.

Here are the options I'm considering to replace the drop-down:
  • A partial match text field (it's easy to implement!)
  • An ajax autocomplete text field
  • A popup tournament finder next to a text field (like [find a member] for usernames)

I think we should also add a [find games] link to tournament tabs (like on the ratings page).

Please make it typable. Those who play via IPhone have to scroll for f***ing ever to find tournaments. Partial match or Ajax is perfect.

IcePack

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby lackattack on Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:44 am

Perhaps partial match + a [search tournaments] link that takes you to the tournament finder (like the [browse maps] link)?
Sergeant lackattack

Postby ender516 on Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:13 pm

lackattack wrote:Perhaps partial match + a [search tournaments] link that takes you to the tournament finder (like the [browse maps] link)?

I like this concept, but the [browse maps] link seems to be a dead end, that is, you cannot select a map there and carry that selection back to the game finder page (can you?).
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby Qwert on Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:22 am

Even its these sugestion are older then mine-i manage to create description ,and also visualy explane how these need to work, unfortunatly lack dont look on submited sugestion,then he will see how these can be implemented, i belive in easy way.

by qwert on Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:15 am

Plain and simple, need to create two tournament boxes-in one all finished,and in other Active tournaments.
With big explosion of more and more tournament,its become step by step hard to find active tournament to check tourny stats.
Every time i need to scrool and scroll up and down to find what i want to find.

These is mine post in these topic, and from these,i realised that in these topic,idea will not be discused, and i decide to create mine own sugestion,with description and explanations.

viewtopic.php?f=535&t=128086
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby lackattack on Wed May 25, 2011 4:21 pm

Done! :P
Sergeant lackattack

Postby Victor Sullivan on Wed May 25, 2011 4:23 pm

lackattack wrote:Done! :P

Everyone's favorite word in the Suggestions Forum! :D