Conquer Club

Fortification dropdowns (merged) [Done]

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

Reverse Polish Notation

Postby kmhebert on Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:51 pm

Heh some like it but some don't. Can't this be optional?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_Polish_notation
Sergeant kmhebert

Re: Reverse Polish Notation

Postby owenshooter on Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:09 pm

kmhebert wrote:Heh some like it but some don't. Can't this be optional?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_Polish_notation

i knew it had to have some sort of connection to the polish!!! thanks for the link!!! it explains this entire new thought process i have embarked upon learning in the latter stages of my advanced years... you can teach an old dog new tricks, it just takes a really long time... the black jesus still hates this change...-0
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
makes it ever so much more erotically thrilling"
Lieutenant owenshooter

Re: Fortification dropdowns (merged) [Done]

Postby agostino on Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:42 am

i love it, this is the best upgrade ever. it saves a lot of hassle when reinforcing.
Corporal agostino

Postby psychobkrazy on Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:13 am

I like the change.
PM me with "Tournament Invite List" in the Subject to get on my Invite List.
Highest Rank: 3070 Image Brigadier - #70 (page 1) - 61% Won - 01/02/2011
The Sigatar Lounge
Sergeant 1st Class psychobkrazy

Postby jbrettlip on Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:25 am

My turns keep timing out. I blame this change.
nothing wrong with a little bit of man on dog love.
Lieutenant jbrettlip

Postby sully800 on Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:52 am

owenshooter wrote:
Thezzaruz wrote:It just feels strange because you're not used to it and thus is forming the sentence based on the old system and not on your actual thought process, I think we all can agree that the first choice we make is "from where" and then consider "how many". And this change actually makes it more intuitive now IMO.

no, it feels strange because it is counter intuitive and illogical. never in my life has my first choice been to thing "from where" and then to consider "how many". it is always "how many" and then "from where". now, if you are german, i will agree with you, just based on the language structure used in deutschland. other than that, no way this is more intuitive. again, as many others have said, it is counter intuitive and just upsets the flow of the game when you switch to fortifying. makes no sense to attack and then re-enforce in 2 seperate ways. zero sense... the black jesus has spoken...-0

I understand that its the way you form the sentence, which is partially because you've always done it that way....and partially because the current reinforcement sentence is much more awkward.

BUT think about how you actually conduct reinforcement. First you have to scan the map to find where the armies exist. Only then can you determine how many armies to move. Now the drop downs do the exact same thing, which is why the logic makes sense. I know the sentence structure is awkward and counter intuitive but I think we will get used to it.
Major sully800

Postby lancehoch on Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:27 pm

sully800 wrote:I understand that its the way you form the sentence, which is partially because you've always done it that way....and partially because the current reinforcement sentence is much more awkward.

BUT think about how you actually conduct reinforcement. First you have to scan the map to find where the armies exist. Only then can you determine how many armies to move. Now the drop downs do the exact same thing, which is why the logic makes sense. I know the sentence structure is awkward and counter intuitive but I think we will get used to it.

Then should it be {From} {#} {To}? So the sentence structure would be "From Florida, fortify 10 troops to Georgia" (for the USA map).
Sergeant lancehoch

Postby owenshooter on Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:51 pm

lancehoch wrote:
sully800 wrote:I understand that its the way you form the sentence, which is partially because you've always done it that way....and partially because the current reinforcement sentence is much more awkward.

Then should it be {From} {#} {To}? So the sentence structure would be "From Florida, fortify 10 troops to Georgia" (for the USA map).

i'd even settle for lance's response. even that is more intuitive than what is going on now. to attack and reinforce 2 totally different ways, just makes very little sense... -0
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby MoB Deadly on Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:10 pm

owenshooter wrote:
lancehoch wrote:

i'd even settle for lance's response. even that is more intuitive than what is going on now. to attack and reinforce 2 totally different ways, just makes very little sense... -0

I just wanna say I love how the box automatically sets to the max number of troops, but yeah I agree with most people that the order of the boxes now feel uncomfortable, I still have to check my fortification like 3 times to make sure its exactly what I want
Corporal 1st Class MoB Deadly

Postby lackattack on Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:12 pm

The order of boxes has to change, because the From selection determines the values in the To and Quantity menus.

lancehoch wrote:Then should it be {From} {#} {To}? So the sentence structure would be "From Florida, fortify 10 troops to Georgia" (for the USA map).

I can do that if people really find it better.

Alternatively, we can get rid of sentences and just have labelled menus e.g.

But maybe the sentences are helpful for new players trying to figure out what is going on.
Sergeant lackattack

Postby Optimus Prime on Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:17 pm

I say go with the order that lancehoch posted, it makes the most sense if the dropdowns do in fact have to change.
Cadet Optimus Prime

Postby owenshooter on Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:17 pm

lackattack wrote:
lancehoch wrote:Then should it be {From} {#} {To}? So the sentence structure would be "From Florida, fortify 10 troops to Georgia" (for the USA map).

I can do that if people really find it better.

that would seem a bit more intuitive, and you have to keep the sentence or it would truly confuse not only new players, but old guys like myself...-0
Lieutenant owenshooter

Re: Fortificateing Suggestion.

Postby Orwell on Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:57 pm

yeti_c wrote:It's a good idea - (I think it's already been suggested though)

Yes, I believe the language is similar to my suggestion
"(A) sends (#) troops to reinforce (B)"
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." - Samuel Beckett, Worstward Ho
Corporal Orwell

Postby krycekal on Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:15 am

Just wanted to thank everyone (from the suggesters to the implementers) for the awesome change in reinforcements. This is an awesome site and all the improvements that are made are very much appreciated. It is nice to have a site that listens to it's people and does all they can to help the make the playing all the more pleasurable.

Thank you again from a very appreciative player!!! =D>
Cook krycekal

Postby PatXCore on Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:15 pm

ahhh, i hate that the # of fortifications is the last dropdown! for the first 2 games of mine that this was implemented in, i hit end fortification because i thought i was hitting end attack....i know this was my mistake....and it only happened twice....but fortifications were MUCH better when the number of armies was listed first.
Sergeant 1st Class PatXCore

Postby Skitzobarber12 on Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:34 pm

You need to put the boxes back to normall...
Sergeant 1st Class Skitzobarber12

Postby sailorseal on Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:49 pm

Why is the amount box now on the right? So unnecessary! I have to retrain my hands, but for what purpose?!?
Cook sailorseal

Postby T7 on Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:04 pm

I came here to find out why such a crazy change was made.

Looks like a good idea got turned into a bad implimentation. Surely the order hasn't been dictated because of analysis of our thought structure, but so that the quantity of troops doesn't change after being the first thing selected, then a territory with less troops on it being selected. "Um, huh? I mean... oh yeah! It was after analysing the way we think... yeah, that's right, yep."

I agree with all the people saying it's frustrating, and with all the ideas to improve it - like Quantity: x... or Move x troops from x to x (had to throw that in there)... or Reinforce from: x Troops: x Reinforce to: x
Highest score: 2039 24/6/11 (1910 16/2/10, 1903 6/1/09)
Major T7

Postby wcaclimbing on Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:46 pm

Since we're suggesting how to rearrange the boxes, I'll add my suggestion in.

Put it back in the order it used to be.

I always think "Fortify # From X to Y" when I'm fortifying. It makes the most sense to me.
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Postby jsnr75 on Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:10 am

Any way to just run a poll of premium members to gauge their preference? My problem is that the change is causing mistakes...and mistakes in forting are costly. Even if the new way is occasionally convenient...not sure its worth the cost.

Also...the change has rendered fortifying impossible in opera mini for me. Worked before, but the number dropdown doesn't work now.

So...front page poll?
Corporal 1st Class jsnr75

Postby AttillatheHun on Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:08 pm

IS shirley seeing anyone ?
:shock:
Sergeant 1st Class AttillatheHun

Postby PatXCore on Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:01 am

i agree....let's get a poll going!
Sergeant 1st Class PatXCore

Postby kaydub on Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:01 pm

jsnr75 wrote:Any way to just run a poll of premium members to gauge their preference? My problem is that the change is causing mistakes...and mistakes in forting are costly. Even if the new way is occasionally convenient...not sure its worth the cost.

Also...the change has rendered fortifying impossible in opera mini for me. Worked before, but the number dropdown doesn't work now.

So...front page poll?

Why just premium? The other players have opinions too. Personally I hate having the number at the end.
Sergeant kaydub

Postby jsnr75 on Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:06 pm

Appears to be a dead topic anyway. Nothing against non-paying members, but people could flood votes with fake players. Premium is paying for it. But I'm assuming no response means "live with it."
Corporal 1st Class jsnr75

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:00 pm

I don't think a poll will be run, but we are reading the responses to the topic.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

PreviousNext

Return to Archived Suggestions