Conquer Club

Suggestion: Discriminate Against Farmers

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

Re: Suggestion: Discriminate Against Farmers

Postby porkenbeans on Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:00 pm

maxatstuy wrote:
porkenbeans wrote:
maxatstuy wrote:I never call anyone cry babies. I do however say that people who incessantly speak out against farming in these threads are doing so because they are too lazy to learn how to beat me on the scoreboard using their "skill," and "talent;" somethings which I apparently dont have.

I know that karel and I had a little conversation yesterday. He wants to beat me on the scoreboard so he is joining games and trying to win as many points as possible. Perhaps if people like yourself were to follow by his example, there would be much more competition at the top, and farming would not be an effective method.
It is not because Im lazy. I like to play RISK. I do not like the game of ''Farming''. I once made a sugg. of a way that would make us both happy. you could have your farming game to play without any changes at all. (see). And you could also have a place to test your real risk skill.

the majority of the issues with ideas similar to that, has to do with gaining skill without the effects of points. If there were two different rooms that a person could play in, there is nothing from stopping a person from perfecting a game type and then using it with the same low score they had before they learned how to play properly

Just to clarify though, you were not the person in particular to whom I was referring, you were just the last person to post...lol
Did you read my link, ''Make two leaderboards'' ? What do you think about that ?
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby maxatstuy on Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:14 pm

porkenbeans wrote:
maxatstuy wrote:the majority of the issues with ideas similar to that, has to do with gaining skill without the effects of points. If there were two different rooms that a person could play in, there is nothing from stopping a person from perfecting a game type and then using it with the same low score they had before they learned how to play properly

Just to clarify though, you were not the person in particular to whom I was referring, you were just the last person to post...lol
Did you read my link, ''Make two leaderboards'' ? What do you think about that ?

Two leader boards would be way too subjective. It is my belief that farming is not exclusive to playing against low ranks, and it is no ones place to define what farming actually is because there is no correct answer. Games become farming in my opinion when you begin to join for points and not for fun, so as long as I enjoy playing against noobs, there is no reason why that should be looked upon any differently than playing any other type of game. Only playing high ranks is just as much farming and what I do, as many people who join those brigadier games are only afraid of losing points in games with low ranks, even though they might have fun playing them. People can think whatever they want and discredit whomever they chose for whatever reasons they have. If you want to call my accomplishments less than that of anyone else, be my guest. A scoreboard wont have any effect though other than to exemplify the biases which the people making up the scoreboard will have, and anger those who are wrongfully removed from one scoreboard, or wrongfully placed on another.
Field Marshal maxatstuy

Postby maxatstuy on Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:23 pm

Oh, I apologize, I made an assumption about your thread before reading it over.

While I do believe that my last post is accurate, (which is why I will leave it,) your thread was referring to separating the scoreboard based on sequential and freestyle. There is no way of defining who should be considered a freestyle player and who should be considered a sequential players so that wouldnt work, but even if it was possible, I think that would detract from the enjoyment of rising the positions on the scoreboard. Whether people play fs or sequential, that is there choice and it really shouldnt have a factor on the way they are ranked as it is all for the same objective, to win and to gain points.
Field Marshal maxatstuy

Postby PepperJack on Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:27 pm

Ahem, if the admins of this site layed out their definition of farming, it would be just. They would only be defining farming here, not universally so it would have to be accepted. As I have previously stated, the admins have not done this and banned the practice for reasons beyond my knowledge.

Also, I could be wildly incorrect, but the term farming originates from mindlessly killing lesser opponents (example; some lvl 1 boar in WoW or something). While you may want to bastardize the definition of "farming" to accomodate your whims, Max, playing high ranks in no way qualifies as farming. There is a reason why the word closely associated with farming is "noob" not some form of "pwninator."
Game 3960030

Going on deployment, be back someday.

Sorry for deadbeating out of games.
Corporal 1st Class PepperJack

Postby porkenbeans on Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:41 pm

maxatstuy wrote:
porkenbeans wrote:
maxatstuy wrote:the majority of the issues with ideas similar to that, has to do with gaining skill without the effects of points. If there were two different rooms that a person could play in, there is nothing from stopping a person from perfecting a game type and then using it with the same low score they had before they learned how to play properly

Two leader boards would be way too subjective. It is my belief that farming is not exclusive to playing against low ranks, and it is no ones place to define what farming actually is because there is no correct answer. Games become farming in my opinion when you begin to join for points and not for fun, so as long as I enjoy playing against noobs, there is no reason why that should be looked upon any differently than playing any other type of game. Only playing high ranks is just as much farming and what I do, as many people who join those brigadier games are only afraid of losing points in games with low ranks, even though they might have fun playing them. People can think whatever they want and discredit whomever they chose for whatever reasons they have. If you want to call my accomplishments less than that of anyone else, be my guest. A scoreboard wont have any effect though other than to exemplify the biases which the people making up the scoreboard will have, and anger those who are wrongfully removed from one scoreboard, or wrongfully placed on another.
I dont think that you read me properly. Nothing would change on the origonal board. O.K. ? A sep. leaderboaerd could be set up with the rules I described. This boards rules would be as tight as midgets rubber. Only players of the same rank can play each other. Every possible way to cheat or farm is elimited. There is even auto matching of opponents. And any other rule that made it impossible to cheat or farm would be added. Everything is seperate on the 2 boards, from your rank to your points. It would be totally up to you if you wish to play or not on the new board. 8-)
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby mibi on Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:36 pm

This suggestion is a good one. Maxastuy is a clinical loser.
Captain mibi

Postby maxatstuy on Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:49 pm

mibi wrote:This suggestion is a good one. Maxastuy is a clinical loser.

Agreed...lets team up and kill the sorry bastard!

I heard that he doesnt even define between cooks and colonels, and says that they are both hats with a score difference negligible in comparison to his own. What a douche!
Field Marshal maxatstuy

Postby khazalid on Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:22 pm

cheat or not, its ridiculous to propose discriminating against these 'farmers'. the whole concept of freestyle risk is just asking for this to happen and there is no way to stop it whilst this game mode is still available.
had i been wise, i would have seen that her simplicity cost her a fortune
Lieutenant khazalid

Postby khazalid on Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:27 pm

and for the record, you guys are getting absolutely served in the farming debate stakes if the last 3 pages are anything to go by
had i been wise, i would have seen that her simplicity cost her a fortune
Lieutenant khazalid

Postby Inhuman14 on Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:31 pm

maxatstuy wrote:ROFL...this thread is hilarious

The problem that people have with me has nothing to do with noobs not coming back, because it was established that there is nothing I do, other than join the games, which prevents noobs from enjoying their experience. People are annoyed about how successful I have been at farming. A low rank joining those games have the same effect on the noobs as me joining, except that I play real time and answer questions.

Not from what I've seen, or, rather, I don't see you trying to help players. Joining a game made by a new player and saying, "Hey, you look new, how can I help" is a completely different scenario than beating the snot out of them and answering where they can go to complain.
Ideas in progress:
Average points count of enemies in profile page
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=70340&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
Corporal Inhuman14

Postby PepperJack on Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:18 pm

As the OP, I request that this thread be locked. I made this thread half jokingly. Discriminating against farmers, while fantastic in theory, will require far too many man hours to be feasible and is also a completely subjective task. If you wish to have serious conversation regarding deterring farmers check out these legitimate threads (amongst many others)...

New Recruit Amnesty

No Points For New Recruit Deadbeats

or make your own thread.

Again, please lock up this thread mods.
Game 3960030

Going on deployment, be back someday.

Sorry for deadbeating out of games.
Corporal 1st Class PepperJack

Postby SuicidalSnowman on Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:44 pm

Man, I was excited when I saw this bumped, but of course, nothing but back and forth circular circumstantial arguments that serve only to indicate ignorance of the satirical nature of the original post.
Private SuicidalSnowman

Postby porkenbeans on Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:22 am

Inhuman14 wrote:
maxatstuy wrote:ROFL...this thread is hilarious

The problem that people have with me has nothing to do with noobs not coming back, because it was established that there is nothing I do, other than join the games, which prevents noobs from enjoying their experience. People are annoyed about how successful I have been at farming. A low rank joining those games have the same effect on the noobs as me joining, except that I play real time and answer questions.

Not from what I've seen, or, rather, I don't see you trying to help players. Joining a game made by a new player and saying, "Hey, you look new, how can I help" is a completely different scenario than beating the snot out of them and answering where they can go to complain.
You are simply taking advantage of the fact that noobs start freestyle games, because it is the default. A player with the skill of a corp. could do what you do. :lol: You are just a Corp. pissed off, because you cant play risk. :lol: So you cheat the freestyle noobs to get your rank. If that shiny badge is so important to you, why dont you just learn how to play the game RISK. Then when you get the rank it will really mean something. It does mean something to me. And there are an awful lot of you wannabees setting in other peoples chairs. So, get the hell OUT of my chair or I will start farming you. I dont think that it would be against any rules if I pm'd every noob and told them what was going on, and then have them start freestyle games. But, they will secretly have me there, to tell them what to do. What do think about that. You say that there is nothing wrong with farming. OK, ...Lets farm the farmers. \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ If anyone is interested in developing a cordinated effort in this matter , please pm me.
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby saraith on Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:28 am

porkenbeans wrote: But, they will secretly have me there, to tell them what to do. What do think about that. You say that there is nothing wrong with farming. OK, ...Lets farm the farmers.

I wonder if that constitutes Secret Diplomacy.
To achieve balance, first you must grow.
To grow, first you must learn.
To learn, first you must listen.
To listen, first you must shut the hell up.
-Buddhist saying
Corporal 1st Class saraith

Postby porkenbeans on Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:30 am

saraith wrote:
porkenbeans wrote: But, they will secretly have me there, to tell them what to do. What do think about that. You say that there is nothing wrong with farming. OK, ...Lets farm the farmers.

I wonder if that constitutes Secret Diplomacy.
NO, because I wont have a seat at the table. Just a little friendly mentoring, to my new friend. 8-)
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby porkenbeans on Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:45 pm

Come on, Who will join me in a little farming of our own ? CC wont help in this matter, so, let us kick the farmers out of our chairs. ...We can farm the farmers. :lol:
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby theconquerer1995 on Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:24 pm

demonfork wrote:
PepperJack wrote:Concise description:
  • Farming is almost universally looked down upon on this site. Multiple suggestions have been made to alter the scoring system to discourage farming to no avail. Limiting the privileges of new recruits has also been suggested. I say instead on focusing on the large population of new recruits we focus on the small (and known) population of farmers. Known farmers should not be allowed to join games that have a new recruit in them nor should new recruits be allowed to join games started by known farmers.

Specifics:
  • Identify known farmers (Maxatstuy, King Herpes, Rabbiton, anyone in the Farmer's Guild, etc.)
  • Automagically prevent them from joining games with at least 1 new recruit
  • Automagically prevent new recruits from joining games started by known farmers

This will improve the following aspects of the site:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

• Known farmer's can no longer profit from new recruit deadbeats
  • New recruits are more likely to get a positive experience instead of feeling used by some player that has been with so many other new recruits
  • Farmers are correctly identified as the cancerous entities they are

Post Sug. Preaching
If everyone feels that farmers do more damage than good to the site then they should be addressed directly. Why beat around the bush and turn things upside down for everyone? Just limit what farmers can do, discriminate against them, everyone already thinks they're second class, so treat them like it. If the damage that admins/mods claim that farmers do is accurate then the cost of driving them away will be offset by many happy returning new recruits.

Maybe we could even mark these known point farmers with barcodes and make concentration camps and put all of these evil point farmers into them and eradicate them by killing them all off in gas chambers!
2008-11-26 12:51:53 - Moran555: i don't team up on people, i just attack whoever that will benefit me the most and yes that was red
Cook theconquerer1995

Postby porkenbeans on Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:10 am

theconquerer1995 wrote:
demonfork wrote:
PepperJack wrote:Concise description:
  • Farming is almost universally looked down upon on this site. Multiple suggestions have been made to alter the scoring system to discourage farming to no avail. Limiting the privileges of new recruits has also been suggested. I say instead on focusing on the large population of new recruits we focus on the small (and known) population of farmers. Known farmers should not be allowed to join games that have a new recruit in them nor should new recruits be allowed to join games started by known farmers.

Specifics:
  • Identify known farmers (Maxatstuy, King Herpes, Rabbiton, anyone in the Farmer's Guild, etc.)
  • Automagically prevent them from joining games with at least 1 new recruit
  • Automagically prevent new recruits from joining games started by known farmers

This will improve the following aspects of the site:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

• Known farmer's can no longer profit from new recruit deadbeats
  • New recruits are more likely to get a positive experience instead of feeling used by some player that has been with so many other new recruits
  • Farmers are correctly identified as the cancerous entities they are

Post Sug. Preaching
If everyone feels that farmers do more damage than good to the site then they should be addressed directly. Why beat around the bush and turn things upside down for everyone? Just limit what farmers can do, discriminate against them, everyone already thinks they're second class, so treat them like it. If the damage that admins/mods claim that farmers do is accurate then the cost of driving them away will be offset by many happy returning new recruits.

Maybe we could even mark these known point farmers with barcodes and make concentration camps and put all of these evil point farmers into them and eradicate them by killing them all off in gas chambers!
CCs' flawed point structure, is what creates the Farmers. They are playing within the rules. It is those "mickey Mouse" rules, that allow for the corruption in the ranking system. Over the past year, I have read dozens upon dozens of suggestions by concerned members. I have raked my own brain, and came up with a few myself. I am afraid however, that, all this effort is a big waist of time. I see the same things hashed about over and over again. I can only postulate as to why this problem has not been resolved. Could it be that the lack-man and his crew, are not true risk enthusiasts, and do not know this game that well ? How in the hell could anyone that loves the game of "RISK" not see that this leaderboard is a fricking joke. The best "RISK" players are not at the top where they should be. Well that is my opinion, You can trust that it is correct, because, the best god damn risk player of all time, is telling you so. :twisted:
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby cicero on Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:33 am

PepperJack wrote:As the OP, I request that this thread be locked. I made this thread half jokingly. Discriminating against farmers, while fantastic in theory, will require far too many man hours to be feasible and is also a completely subjective task. If you wish to have serious conversation regarding deterring farmers check out these legitimate threads (amongst many others)...

New Recruit Amnesty

No Points For New Recruit Deadbeats

or make your own thread.

Again, please lock up this thread mods.
Locked as requested.

To all who have posted, other than to discuss the merits of the original suggestion, please remember:
  • This is the suggestions and bugs reports forum.
  • This forum is for constructive discussion of suggestions and bug reports.
  • Using a suggestion thread as a soap box to promote/argue your cause is inappropriate. If you have a CC related cause to promote/argue/discuss please use the General Discussion forum.
  • The suggestions and bug reports form works best when people work together to have constructive discussions on genuine practical ideas to improve the Conquer Club experience. Making joke suggestions or participating in joke suggestion threads doesn't assist.

Please don't misunderstand, I'm not "telling you all off" - just asking for your help in making Suggestions & Bug Reports a pleasant and constructive place. A place where we can all enjoy, even if constructively arguing opposing views, the process of genuinely trying to improve Conquer Club.

The threads that PepperJack links to are a couple of genuine variations on ideas to combat the general farming problem. Let's continue to work together there.

If there are questions or comments raised by this post please feel free to PM me. I'm happy to correspond with you.

Regards

Cicero :)
FREE M-E-Mbership and simple rules. Conquer Club - it's not complicated.

random me statistic @ 13 December 2008 - 1336 posts : 232nd most public posts (not counting Tower of Babble) of all time.
Sergeant cicero

Location: with the infected neutrals ... handing out maps to help them find their way to CC

Previous

Return to Archived Suggestions