Conquer Club

Double Turns and Freestyle Turn Holding

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

Re: Eliminate Freestyle Double Turns

Postby demonfork on Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:58 am

KraphtOne wrote:Just want to comment about the MAJOR flaw i see in changing this policy...

Most freestyle games i play i double turn almost every turn, and here's why...

If the other player ends their turn first and then i end my turn, they have first shot at the next round... A LOT of players take advantage of this by using delay tactics and waiting till you aren't paying attention to start their turn and wipe you out, so that when you start your turn you have no bonus and no territories...

To combat this i just wait till the timer runs out... The other player can see exactly when the timer is going to run out, and show up at that time... There is nothing cheap about the double turn because my opponent knows EXACTLY when i'm going to start my turn...

But without waiting for the timer to expire i have no clue when my opponent will start their turn, thus giving them a major advantage...

I do not see the double turn as any kind of cheap tactic, if anything it allows that there is no way that either player can get a head start on one another...

If you don't like someone taking double turns don't play freestyle... Because the way it is set up right now is a perfect way to ensure that no-one gets any kinda of random turn order advantage...

~K1

HOLY DOG SHIT!! Someone gets it! And you are exactly correct, the double turn brings balance to the format.
Lieutenant demonfork

Postby KraphtOne on Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:04 am

Cause i'm always right dude... Even if the 15 year olds don't think i am...

And Herpes why the F*ck do you have me foed...

I may have to foe you back man watch out...

~K1
Major KraphtOne

Postby azezzo on Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:15 pm

it appears that c.c. in its infinite wisdom, or Lacks, lack thereof chooses not to change this aspect of freestyle, if thats the case for speed games at least, lets create an option of shorter rounds so that if someone is going to run out the clock why wait till 4:45 on the clock to make a move, this makes for a tedious game, i suggest 2 minute rounds as an option, I will say that again, as an option, leave 5 min. rounds as the standard, but create 2 min rounds for the others who dont need all that time.
Captain azezzo

Postby The Neon Peon on Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:26 pm

KraphtOne wrote:Just want to comment about the MAJOR flaw i see in changing this policy...

If the other player ends their turn first and then i end my turn, they have first shot at the next round... A LOT of players take advantage of this by using delay tactics and waiting till you aren't paying attention to start their turn and wipe you out, so that when you start your turn you have no bonus and no territories...

To combat this i just wait till the timer runs out... The other player can see exactly when the timer is going to run out, and show up at that time... There is nothing cheap about the double turn because my opponent knows EXACTLY when i'm going to start my turn...

But without waiting for the timer to expire i have no clue when my opponent will start their turn, thus giving them a major advantage...

I do not see the double turn as any kind of cheap tactic, if anything it allows that there is no way that either player can get a head start on one another...

If you don't like someone taking double turns don't play freestyle... Because the way it is set up right now is a perfect way to ensure that no-one gets any kinda of random turn order advantage...

~K1

I see what you mean. Good post. There is only one problem I see right now.

Many people think double turns are illegal on the site or as a law in society. For example, there is something in society that says hitting someone in the back (when they are unaware that you are even fighting) or hitting someone when they are down (although I personally disagree with this one) is not right. Same with double turns. While there is no rule against them, it is really unfair to be using them against a person who is not using delay tactics or taking double turns because they think it is not allowed.

Out of the 137 casual freestyle games I played, I can't recall one instance when someone used a double turn. Had I not been going to the forums, I would still think that taking a double turn is illegal. No doubt there are thousands of people on the scoreboard who think it is not right because they never see anyone else do it.

While yes, you could say that they are being dumb and that they should simply read the rules... where in the rules does it say that you can't run up to someone and throw a good hard punch at the back of their neck after you have lost a fight and they are walking away? Answer: nowhere, so why don't people do it? Because society is against it. There is nothing "cheap" with double turns, but society think of it as so. Why do you think demonfork has "cheap tactics" in so many ratings?

Personally, I think a norm has to be set. If someone like lack or Andy would put in one of their announcements "hey everyone, just want to clarify that taking double turns and using scripts is OK with us," then I could see no problem with using them. But until then, I am not going to hit someone in the back of the head if 99% of people in the world think it's wrong.
Lieutenant The Neon Peon

Postby The Neon Peon on Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:38 pm

ManBungalow wrote:If double turns are eliminated, I probably will not be renewing my premium. Double turns are a part of what makes freestyle so awesomely intense.

That is just pathetic. In the past 12 days, you have played 7 casual freestyle games out of the last 250 games you've played (12 days). You don't even need premium for that, so basically what you are saying is
if you take away 3% of the games I play, I won't renew my premium and stop myself from playing the other 97% too.
Lieutenant The Neon Peon

Postby azezzo on Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:16 pm

The Neon Peon wrote:

~K1

I see what you mean. Good post. There is only one problem I see right now.

Many people think double turns are illegal on the site or as a law in society. For example, there is something in society that says hitting someone in the back (when they are unaware that you are even fighting) or hitting someone when they are down (although I personally disagree with this one) is not right. Same with double turns. While there is no rule against them, it is really unfair to be using them against a person who is not using delay tactics or taking double turns because they think it is not allowed.

Out of the 137 casual freestyle games I played, I can't recall one instance when someone used a double turn. Had I not been going to the forums, I would still think that taking a double turn is illegal. No doubt there are thousands of people on the scoreboard who think it is not right because they never see anyone else do it.

While yes, you could say that they are being dumb and that they should simply read the rules... where in the rules does it say that you can't run up to someone and throw a good hard punch at the back of their neck after you have lost a fight and they are walking away? Answer: nowhere, so why don't people do it? Because society is against it. There is nothing "cheap" with double turns, but society think of it as so. Why do you think demonfork has "cheap tactics" in so many ratings?

Personally, I think a norm has to be set. If someone like lack or Andy would put in one of their announcements "hey everyone, just want to clarify that taking double turns and using scripts is OK with us," then I could see no problem with using them. But until then, I am not going to hit someone in the back of the head if 99% of people in the world think it's wrong.

It sure would be nice if Lackattack would come out of his shell a little more, be a little more vocal, Hell, even like to see him play a few more games than hes accustomed to. It would be nice if he would take the time to return a pm once in awhile, oh thats right, he doesnt accept P.M's from us, the great unwashed masses. I only say this because the mods seem to be against double turn taking, but do not seem to have the authority to do anything about it.
Captain azezzo

Postby KraphtOne on Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:09 pm

FREESTYLE IS NOT DESIGNED FOR SPEED...

ANYONE WHO HAS PLAYED IT KNOWS ITS GENERALLY A BIT SLOWER...

YOU GUYS THINKING ITS SUPPOSED TO BE FOR A FASTER GAME ARE MISINFORMED...

THE IDEA BEHIND FREESTYLE IS TO ELIMINATE THE ADVANTAGE OF A TURN ORDER...

THIS IN ESSENCE CREATES A LONGER ROUND...

THAT IS WHAT FREESTYLE IS FOR...

NOT SO YOU CAN HAVE A REALLY FAST GAME...

SO ONCE AGAIN... FROM THE TOP... LOUD AND CLEAR...

IF YOU DONT LIKE FREESTYLE DONT PLAY IT

I DONT LIKE THE WATERLOO MAP... SO I DONT PLAY IT...

...or you impatient kids can keep playin freestyle like its sequential and donating points

~k1
Last edited by KraphtOne on Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Major KraphtOne

Postby ManBungalow on Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:24 pm

KraphtOne wrote:And Herpes why the F*ck do you have me foed...

~K1

He seems to be foeing anyone who actually understands freestyle and/or City Mogul :roll:
Colonel ManBungalow

Postby Bruceswar on Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:28 pm

ManBungalow wrote:
KraphtOne wrote:And Herpes why the F*ck do you have me foed...

~K1

He seems to be foeing anyone who actually understands freestyle and/or City Mogul :roll:

Hey that reminds me of your buddy ObliterationX .... He foes all the good players. LOL Must be a noob...
Last edited by Bruceswar on Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby Bruceswar on Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:32 pm

KraphtOne wrote:FREESTYLE IS NOT DESIGNED FOR SPEED...

...or you impatient kids can keep playin freestyle like its sequential and donating points

~k1

You are only partly correct. You are only looking at this from a speed game angle. Most people complaining here are talking about casual games. In a speed game everybody is meant to be around to finish it. In a casual game it is not so, and please do not tell me Be here within the last hour. I play freestyle and I know how it works. I play escalating cards and well according to map rank when I pair Freestyle and Escalating I am +7112, so I think I know what I am talking about. Though this is aimed at casual games, speed games get abused also in this manner on some maps. I stay away from those maps where the abuse happens. In fact I think a map such as city Mogul should be taken off this site. I have never heard a person say.... WOW What a killer City Mogul game. It was just so great! 95% of the city mogul games are pure farming.
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby demonfork on Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:34 pm

Bruceswar wrote:
KraphtOne wrote:FREESTYLE IS NOT DESIGNED FOR SPEED...

~k1

You are only partly correct. You are only looking at this from a speed game angle. Most people complaining here are talking about casual games. In a speed game everybody is meant to be around to finish it. In a casual game it is not so, and please do not tell me Be here within the last hour. I play freestyle and I know how it works. I play escalating cards and well according to map rank when I pair Freestyle and Escalating I am +7112, so I think I know what I am talking about. Though this is aimed at casual games, speed games get abused also in this manner on some maps. I stay away from those maps where the abuse happens. In fact I think a map such as city Mogul should be taken off this site. I have never heard a person say.... WOW What a killer City Mogul game. It was just so great! 95% of the city mogul games are pure farming.

You have completely missed the point here. In fact your above rambling is so incoherent, I can barely even make sense of it.

"Listen to me, I know freestyle Blah Blah Blah"

First off, the casual freestyle games that you play are multi-player escalating.

In a multi-player causal fs esc games it's all about setting up to eliminate players that have enough cards so that you will be able to mid-cash once they have been taken down. With these settings, cards are king. Missing a card to take a double turn would be suicide. When playing these settings there is practically no strategical reason to miss a card in lieu of a double turn.

Now FS casual 1v1, you have not a clue, you are -90 some points over 200 some games.

In a 1v1 setting the double turn is 100% necessary to balance out the game. If your opponent uses any sort of delay tactic by ending his turn early in hopes of returning at a later time to take his turn while you are offline, the results in most cases are devastating. The double turn gives you the opportunity to counter these delay tactics and re balance the game. Without the double turn, casual 1v1 freestyle would turn into a game of who is better at ending their turn the fastest.
Lieutenant demonfork

Postby Bruceswar on Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:04 pm

If I wanted to double turn and farm 1 vs 1's I would , but what is the point. Lame .... big deal if someone is +500 using 1 vs 1 freestyle on City Mogul. Means nothing, other than that person can double turn for a win. Wow special. Moving past my 1 vs 1 map rank... If I am so lousy at it setup 10 games on a non conquest map on it and see how many you win vs me. Anybody can double turn in triples, quads, doubles or a 1 vs 1. Does it make them better? Not at all. Just makes them less of a player in many people's eyes. Personally I do not care either way, but there are many casual players just looking for a decent game. Not to have someone who is gonna use every last once of the "stated" rules to win. Sure it might not be illegal YET but don't expect it to stay this way forever. They have "fixed" it once already, and I am sure down the line they will fix this loophole also. So please do not try to defend this like it is "just another style of play" We all know this is not how CC was intended to be played with Freestyle.
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby Artimis on Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:13 pm

demonfork wrote:You have completely missed the point here. In fact your above rambling is so incoherent, I can barely even make sense of it.

First off, the casual freestyle games that you play are multi-player escalating.

In a multi-player causal fs esc games it's all about setting up to eliminate players that have enough cards so that you will be able to mid-cash once they have been taken down. With these settings, cards are king. Missing a card to take a double turn would be suicide. When playing these settings there is practically no strategical reason to miss a card in lieu of a double turn.

Now FS casual 1v1, you have not a clue, you are -90 some points over 200 some games.

In a 1v1 setting the double turn is 100% necessary to balance out the game. If your opponent uses any sort of delay tactic by ending his turn early in hopes of returning at a later time to take his turn while you are offline, the results in most cases are devastating. The double turn gives you the opportunity to counter these delay tactics and re balance the game. Without the double turn, casual 1v1 freestyle would turn into a game of who is better at ending their turn the fastest.

What Bruce had to say made sense to me, demonfork.

As I've shown previously in this thread the double turn may not be against the rules as they stand at current, however, it is a questionable tactic. Double turning on an objective map to automatically win does not prove superior strategic nous. Don't throw the same old "you must be there at the end of the round to block the double turn" line at me, no one is fast enough to prevent a double turn on a game winning objective when the perpetrator is using Clickable Maps and holding down the 'B' button. Not even the Freestyle City Mogul supremo King Herpes himself can strike fast enough to block it.
==================================================
This post was sponsored by Far-Q Industries.

Far-Q Industries: Telling you where to go since 2008.
Captain Artimis

Postby 4myGod on Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:25 pm

demonfork wrote:In a multi-player causal fs esc games it's all about setting up to eliminate players that have enough cards so that you will be able to mid-cash once they have been taken down. With these settings, cards are king. Missing a card to take a double turn would be suicide. When playing these settings there is practically no strategical reason to miss a card in lieu of a double turn.

I am not a big freestyle player, nor escalating cards player. However from my understanding if you are playing escalating and as you said it's all about setting up to eliminate players so you can mid cash, then wouldn't it seem taking a double turn would help? Yes, you might lose 1 card by taking a double turn, however you can set yourself up that way to eliminate a player before they even saw it coming. Perhaps you couldn't eliminate him in one turn, but with 2 back to back turns you could. If that player had 4 cards and you had 2, then losing the 1 card to get the player's 4 cards would be a pretty good idea.
Sergeant 1st Class 4myGod

Postby demonfork on Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:26 pm

Bruceswar wrote:If I wanted to double turn and farm 1 vs 1's I would , but what is the point. Lame .... big deal if someone is +500 using 1 vs 1 freestyle on City Mogul. Means nothing, other than that person can double turn for a win. Wow special. Moving past my 1 vs 1 map rank... If I am so lousy at it setup 10 games on a non conquest map on it and see how many you win vs me. Anybody can double turn in triples, quads, doubles or a 1 vs 1. Does it make them better? Not at all. Just makes them less of a player in many people's eyes. Personally I do not care either way, but there are many casual players just looking for a decent game. Not to have someone who is gonna use every last once of the "stated" rules to win. Sure it might not be illegal YET but don't expect it to stay this way forever. They have "fixed" it once already, and I am sure down the line they will fix this loophole also. So please do not try to defend this like it is "just another style of play" We all know this is not how CC was intended to be played with Freestyle.

Only the cc idiots are the ones that think that the non surprise double turn was "not intended"... should I quote lack AGAIN???

Edit.. As far as your challenge goes, I set up public 1v1's on non conquest maps everyday, you are now and always have been welcome to join them whenever you wish.
Last edited by demonfork on Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lieutenant demonfork

Postby demonfork on Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:30 pm

Artimis wrote:
demonfork wrote:You have completely missed the point here. In fact your above rambling is so incoherent, I can barely even make sense of it.

What Bruce had to say made sense to me, demonfork.

As I've shown previously in this thread the double turn may not be against the rules as they stand at current, however, it is a questionable tactic. Double turning on an objective map to automatically win does not prove superior strategic nous. Don't throw the same old "you must be there at the end of the round to block the double turn" line at me, no one is fast enough to prevent a double turn on a game winning objective when the perpetrator is using Clickable Maps and holding down the 'B' button. Not even the Freestyle City Mogul supremo King Herpes himself can strike fast enough to block it.

Are you kidding? King_herpes would never put himself in the situation of being on the top of the turn rotation while his opponent had enough armies to take the objective.

As Ive said before, All you have to do to prevent your opponent from taking a double turn is to stay on the bottom of the turn rotation, it's not hard.
Lieutenant demonfork

Postby demonfork on Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:35 pm

4myGod wrote:
demonfork wrote:In a multi-player causal fs esc games it's all about setting up to eliminate players that have enough cards so that you will be able to mid-cash once they have been taken down. With these settings, cards are king. Missing a card to take a double turn would be suicide. When playing these settings there is practically no strategical reason to miss a card in lieu of a double turn.

I am not a big freestyle player, nor escalating cards player. However from my understanding if you are playing escalating and as you said it's all about setting up to eliminate players so you can mid cash, then wouldn't it seem taking a double turn would help? Yes, you might lose 1 card by taking a double turn, however you can set yourself up that way to eliminate a player before they even saw it coming. Perhaps you couldn't eliminate him in one turn, but with 2 back to back turns you could. If that player had 4 cards and you had 2, then losing the 1 card to get the player's 4 cards would be a pretty good idea.

On the rare occasion that you were on the bottom of the turn rotation, you took your turn with less than an hour left on the 24 hour clock and you failed in your attempt at eliminating a player because of bad dice or something then yes in that instance you might try and take a double turn to "finish the job" in the next round. Not a very likely scenario.
Lieutenant demonfork

Postby cramill on Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:22 am

Artimis wrote:After conducting this search of Lacks posts with the key words Double and Expires I found only two matches:
Subject: [Official] Freestyle Changes -- Give us your feedback!
Subject: Ending fake double turns.

The top one of the two post links is where that quote is from.

Ah. Thanks, I guess I was wrong thinking that someone else said that. But, I still think we need to hear more or see some kind of change - either to the game implementation or the wording of the rules. Those posts you linked to are from Jan 2006 and Sep 2007. Quite a while ago. I think we need to hear something official about this issue since this specific thread has been going on since May 08, 2008...

I agree with this statement:
The Neon Peon wrote:Personally, I think a norm has to be set. If someone like lack or Andy would put in one of their announcements "hey everyone, just want to clarify that taking double turns and using scripts is OK with us," then I could see no problem with using them. But until then, I am not going to hit someone in the back of the head if 99% of people in the world think it's wrong.

Right now, the way the game instructions are stated, it is not clear that a double turn is possible. So, when someone who doesn't know the ins and outs of this 'tactic' gets steamrolled by someone winning because of a double turn, they whine and complain. I think a clarification needs to be made. And why one has not been made yet baffles me.
Instructions wrote:The player who triggers a new round is blocked from taking a second back-to-back turn...

There is no explaination that "triggers a new round" means ending your turn. To many it would seem to be that taking your turn last means that you are the one that triggers the new round. There is no explaination that the round timer can be the one that triggers a new round...
Corporal 1st Class cramill

Postby The Neon Peon on Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:31 am

azezzo wrote:It sure would be nice if Lackattack would come out of his shell a little more, be a little more vocal, Hell, even like to see him play a few more games than hes accustomed to.

Agreed.

azezzo wrote:It would be nice if he would take the time to return a pm once in awhile, oh thats right, he doesnt accept P.M's from us, the great unwashed masses. I only say this because the mods seem to be against double turn taking, but do not seem to have the authority to do anything about it.

He has returned every PM that I have sent him in under 24 hours.
Lieutenant The Neon Peon

Postby azezzo on Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:10 am

well peon, u must be very special, obviously you have the secret bat phone , phone # because when i have sent pm's to him in the past, i have gotten no response, and currently if you try to pm him the following comes up,

The webmaster does not accept messages. Please visit the Help page to get in touch with staff.

so he obviously doesnt want to be bothered by the rest of us peons.
Captain azezzo

Postby The Neon Peon on Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:54 am

azezzo wrote:well peon, u must be very special, obviously you have the secret bat phone , phone # because when i have sent pm's to him in the past, i have gotten no response, and currently if you try to pm him the following comes up,

The webmaster does not accept messages. Please visit the Help page to get in touch with staff.

so he obviously doesnt want to be bothered by the rest of us peons.

Well, the messages I sent to him were at least 6 months ago. I guess things have changed since then.
Lieutenant The Neon Peon

Postby fiction on Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:57 pm

Hm I was arguing with an admin on the issue and found a nice little tid bit, and so sorry the debate is now over.
Found in the offical instructions to a freestyle game.
"In a freestyle game it doesn't matter in which order players take their turns. Players can even play simultaneously! After the last player takes his turn, a new round begins immediately. The player who triggers a new round is blocked from taking a second back-to-back turn and must wait until either an opponent begins their turn or half of the round passes."

Can you bug abusers who support the double move read? Just because you don't end your move doesn't mean anything, they are triggering the new round to begin. Thus they "MUST WAIT". The fact that they do not is as clear a violation of the rules as anything. Game over. I imagine bans will start being issued very soon for those who have violated this policy.
Lieutenant fiction

Postby cramill on Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:27 am

fiction wrote:Hm I was arguing with an admin on the issue and found a nice little tid bit, and so sorry the debate is now over.
Found in the offical instructions to a freestyle game.
"In a freestyle game it doesn't matter in which order players take their turns. Players can even play simultaneously! After the last player takes his turn, a new round begins immediately. The player who triggers a new round is blocked from taking a second back-to-back turn and must wait until either an opponent begins their turn or half of the round passes."

Can you bug abusers who support the double move read? Just because you don't end your move doesn't mean anything, they are triggering the new round to begin. Thus they "MUST WAIT". The fact that they do not is as clear a violation of the rules as anything. Game over. I imagine bans will start being issued very soon for those who have violated this policy.

Lol. You're new to this debate, aren't you? The loophole is that they say that the round timer is the one to trigger the new round. Not themselves. So, at the start of the new round, since they 'weren't the ones to trigger the new round' they get to begin their turn right away. I know this is a lame 'tactic' and I want it changed too, but I don't see a change coming soon and this debate just might go on forever.
Corporal 1st Class cramill

Postby Thezzaruz on Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:51 am

cramill wrote:Lol. You're new to this debate, aren't you? The loophole is that they say that the round timer is the one to trigger the new round. Not themselves. So, at the start of the new round, since they 'weren't the ones to trigger the new round' they get to begin their turn right away. I know this is a lame 'tactic' and I want it changed too, but I don't see a change coming soon and this debate just might go on forever.

Unfortunately what they say is backed up by the game code :( , agree with the rest.
Lieutenant Thezzaruz

Postby sully800 on Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:17 pm

Major sully800

PreviousNext

Return to Archived Suggestions