Conquer Club

Double Turns and Freestyle Turn Holding

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

Missing turns in Free style

Postby Usmuk on Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:23 pm

Yeah has anyone else experienced another team missing a turn in free style games and then you miss your turn because you can't begin the next round.

This seems kind of unfair. If one team misses their turn then the other team should have half a day in order to take their turn.

Usmuk
Lieutenant Usmuk

Postby s.xkitten on Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:44 pm

i've experienced it...what are you whining about, you get your troops doubled...it helps you, not hurts you... :roll:
Sergeant s.xkitten

Postby Captain_Kris on Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:08 pm

They also get a double turn if a member of the team runs out of time at the end of their turn.

I'm in a game right now where I saw this happen.
Cadet Captain_Kris

A dirty trick? Waiting until end of round to take your turn

Postby Adler5 on Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:28 pm

When I was playing a freestyle game and it was down to two remaining players, I had finished the last round so couldn't go until the other player had. They didn't go until about 30 minutes untill end of round, so I missed my turn, they got another turn in a row, and I, consequently, lost the game. They have apologized and said the wait was accidental, but the point is I think a new rule should be implemented stating that the player who ended the last round can go even if no one else has after 12 hours. Otherwise, they can be cheated into losing the game without even having the fun of playing.
Corporal 1st Class Adler5

Postby wicked on Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:30 pm

If there's a suggestion in there, it won't be considered unless you fill out the form stickied at the top of the forum.
Major wicked

Double Turns

Postby lozzini on Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:03 pm

On freestyle team games you can easily miss a turn if the other team doesn't start theirs early you may miss. This is because of the double turns rule, but i thought it could be that their had to be another players turn or 8 hours (e.g.) after u take your turn. I think this would reduce missed turns in team games and get rid of dirty tactice to make people miss turns. If people agree with this i will try and fill out a form, i just want to know whether you agree.
Top Rank: Captain
Top Score: 1835
Top Pos: 1707
Nothing ventured... nothing gained
Sergeant 1st Class lozzini

Postby AK_iceman on Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:03 pm

Fill out the form if you want to make a suggestion.
Sergeant 1st Class AK_iceman

Return of the freestyle

Postby max is gr8 on Sat May 26, 2007 4:37 am

The freestyle used to have 2 different options

Freestyle(no double turns)
Freestyle(double turns)

I now believe that we should bring this option back

After recently playing many freestyle games I believe it would be a sin not to bring back the options

Priority : Medium (3)

Also I believe if Lackattack has old copies of html he can easily bring this option back

Max
‹max is gr8› so you're a tee-total healthy-eating sex-addict?
‹New_rules› Everyone has some bad habits
(4th Jan 2010)
Corporal max is gr8

Deliberately running out of time allowing back to back goes

Postby Bertros Bertros on Wed May 30, 2007 5:17 pm

If a player goes last in a freestyle round, and runs out of time, when the round increments he is able to go first in the next round allowing back to back turns. Presumably this is a bug as it is not intended for a player to have double turns in freestyle.

Have a look at http://www.conquerclub.com/game.php?game=438410 notice Winkelried takes his turn last in Round 15 and then waits until he runs out of time and then starts Round 16 a minute after it increments.

Before someone starts wittering on about me not being in the game, RetsinaFrangipan is my girlfriend and I was watching when she took her turn and as its definitely a bug and as she doesn't really do the forum thing I decided to post about it.
Lieutenant Bertros Bertros

Postby hecter on Wed May 30, 2007 5:22 pm

It's a common strategy used in Freestyle. Solution: Play sequential.
In heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine... You got your things, and I've got mine.
Private 1st Class hecter

Postby Bertros Bertros on Wed May 30, 2007 5:25 pm

Yeah I do.... Somebody joined a Freestyle by accident... So maybe I'm being a little naive here... but isn't that cheating? I know Freestyle is mainly played by losers who like to use time rather than tactics to win but that particular tactic is pretty much blatent cheating...

Anyway a bug is a bug, apologies if its been posted before, I did a quick search and didnt find anything.
Lieutenant Bertros Bertros

Postby LLLUUUKKKEEE on Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:46 pm

They miss out on a card though if they do that, so let them.
It's your turn...................................
Sergeant LLLUUUKKKEEE

Postby iamjhing on Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:35 pm

this is still a glitch, and was most likely NOT intended when the game was made. It's a simple fix... late players can't go first in freestyle.
UNBELIEVABLE!
(and yes my avatar is a pancreas)
Cadet iamjhing

Postby Sparqs on Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:50 pm

I think this is a more egregious problem than my rant about waiting for the next player to start and then jumping in for back-to-backs. In this case, you don't even have to sit there waiting for someone to start the next round - you know when your turn will time out.

You may miss a card, if it's a game with cards, but the bonus or strategic advantage may well outweigh that cost.

Sure, there will always be aspects of freestyle that reward optimal-timing play, but some of these problems are very unbalancing and easily addressed. I understand that a new style should fix this, but will things like this 'bug' (I honestly think this one is a bug) in current freestyle be addressed?
Sergeant Sparqs

Back-to-back play in team freestyle

Postby yewtah on Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:12 pm

Is there some way to nurf the timeout double play that seems to happen way too frequently in the team freestyle games. Any team that waits until the final hour to play their turn should not be awarded first play opportunities in the next round. It either happens two ways....

Method 1: team B ends a round, so team A has first play opportunity. Team A then waits 23 hours and 59 minutes, jumps in plops forts/bonus armies, get quick card, and jump out. Team B has no opportunity to take their turn during that round since they only become active with less than a minute to go, team B times out.. Allowing Team A to play again and essentially has back-to-back turns and card acquisition.

Method 2: team B has played in the round, normally team A should play thus giving team B first play honors for next round. But what is being done is as follows: Team A waits until the round timer is under an hour. Team A goes in takes their turns but 1 of the team members does not end their fortifications. His teammates end their turns.. gaining cards and holding weak bonuses with not threat since the other team will not be active since their partner is still in game. When the round timer finally expires, all of team A is active for the next round because of the single timeout of one of the team.

There must be someway to put an end to these tactics. I suggest it for a few reasons:
- Sways the game by permitting back-to-back turns by a team with no penalty.
- Does not permit other teams a turn during the 24 hours
- Allows very unfair army deployment since bonuses/reinforcements can be grabbed before other team plays.
- Prolongs the game. Other teams cannot take turns while the active team waits for timeout

Please try to handle this.. A suggestion would be – any team that has a team member either A) timeout during a round or B) not end his turn before the end of the round; that team should not get first play opportunity for the following round.

Please consider,
Thanks
Colonel yewtah

Postby AK_iceman on Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:15 pm

This is being worked on for the next update, stay tuned. :)
Sergeant 1st Class AK_iceman

Ending Turns in Freestyle

Postby Wwoody123 on Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:01 pm

* Suggestion Idea: When the last person doesn't end their turn in freestyle game and lets the clock run out, they cannot start the next turn.
* Specifics: Players who don't start a turn should be able to start the next turn, but if you have begun your turn, placed your armies, attacked, fortified, and just sit on your but because it's a no cards game or something, you shouldn't get to start the next turn.
* Why it is needed: Currently we have a protective measure to prevent someone in a freestyle game from going two turns in a row: if you were the last to play, you can't start the next turn. However, if you do start your turn but don't finish it, the game still allows you to begin the next round. I would assume this is because people who would be the last to play but miss their turn can still get in on the action, but people who did not miss their turn and then subsequently start the next round get a huge advantage.
Major Wwoody123

Postby lackattack on Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:21 pm

So if everyone is taking their turn when the round times out all players would then be locked out for 12 hours?
Sergeant lackattack

Postby khazalid on Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:23 pm

makes sense to me..
had i been wise, i would have seen that her simplicity cost her a fortune
Lieutenant khazalid

Postby Fire Mario on Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:30 pm

A reason that people would not finish their turns is probably in esclating games, they have four cards, and not want to be forced to turn in cards while their trade-in-value is still low. If they not end their turn, they don't get another card, and won't be forced to turn in a set.
Image Image
" If you mess with the band, you get the horns"
Cook Fire Mario

Postby Wwoody123 on Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:43 pm

lackattack wrote:So if everyone is taking their turn when the round times out all players would then be locked out for 12 hours?

First, in my experience this has never happened so I don't think that it would be an issue in all too many instances.

Second, I think that if my suggestion was implemented it would cause this to happen even more infrequently; people would know that they would have a great advantage by being able to go first and would actually end their turn.

Third, I think that the problem I brought up happens more often in speed games, meaning that the wait will be 2.5 minutes, not 12 hours.

Fourth, even if it was 12 hours, then I don't really see what the big deal is; people have games where there turns are starting and finishing all the time. If they can't afford to wait the 12 hours they should just end their turn in the first place.

Fifth, If the real worry here is that people are being forced to wait, I think it's even worse in the status quo because one person can force everyone to wait an entire turn, if my suggestion was implemented then at worst everyone would have control over the waiting.

Sixth, if you think that this instance would present a significant flaw in my suggestion, then I'm sure that the code can be altered to prevent that from happening.

Fire Mario wrote:A reason that people would not finish their turns is probably in esclating games, they have four cards, and not want to be forced to turn in cards while their trade-in-value is still low. If they not end their turn, they don't get another card, and won't be forced to turn in a set.

That is an alternate motive for why people would not end their turns and is absolutely true. Although my suggestion wouldn't *fix* the cards issue, it's not the problem that it's addressing in the first place but would at least mitigate the offensive power of someone using it for that purpose because they couldn't get a sneak attack in at the beginning of their next turn.

For everyone who voted 'Bad Idea' please feel free to provide your reasoning below and I will promptly dismiss your silliness :twisted:
Major Wwoody123

Postby wicked on Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:56 pm

I voted yes. 8) I agree if no one finishes their turn, than that's their own fault and they should have to wait. :wink:

But are there any more elegant solutions out there?
Major wicked

Postby Wwoody123 on Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:19 am

lack, still thinking about it?
Major Wwoody123

Postby lackattack on Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:20 am

I have this bookmarked, I'll consider it for a future update.
Sergeant lackattack

Eliminate Time-Out Advantage in Freestyle Games

Postby Shino Tenshi on Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:11 pm

Suggestion Idea: Eliminate the advantage of timing out in freestyle games in order to not have to wait for someone else to start their turn.

Specifics: Instead of allowing someone to take their turn immediately after they have timed out, treat their turn order as if they had gone last and don't allow the player to take their turn until someone else has started theirs.

Why it is needed: Many people will time out during freestyle (usually speed freestyle) games in order to go immediately after they're finished their turn. This circumvents the penalty that's already in place for taking your turn last. This allows players who burn down the clock in freestyle games to go last the ability to deploy quicker and have less chance of losing bonuses they've just gained by waiting for everyone else to finish their turns. Effectively, this suggestion would, hopefully, speed games up and if nothing else, make them slightly fairer.
Captain Shino Tenshi

PreviousNext

Return to Archived Suggestions