Hello, tournament fans, players and organizers.
Here we go again! More tournaments for you to enjoy. Also, please welcome our new News Hound, samuelc812. And a big thanks to killmanic for submitting a piece this week.
As always, if you have any ideas or just want to help out, drop us a line.
Thanks, and enjoy!
We always welcome your praise, comments and suggestions.
Twill wrote:Bravo all of you!
a true milestone indeed. Gozar, special congrats to you for really bringing this to what it is - it is amazing. Sir ricco, I love the new limelight. Moose, best of luck to you wherever you end up. And Gilligan, I don't know how you have the patience for listing the tournaments but bravo!
You guys are a true asset to the community, I look forward to reading the next 52 editions!
Currently Taking Signups
The Tournament Roll of Honour
As we give samuelc812 some time to settle in, killmanic has graciously submitted an article on 'Tips for Tournament Play'
Keys to being successful in tournaments
If you are just starting playing in tournaments or have been playing for a while these tips should help you get better results in all tournaments.
1. Sign up for ones that fit your best play style, be it 1v1, many player escalating, or 3 player no cards there will be a tournament for you if you look hard enough.
2. If it’s a long tournament, let’s take the Map Blaster series for example which is 100’s of games and in the case of the one I entered 88 with the same people, don’t make enemies early. If you do so by only attacking one person or another dumb move people will notice and attack you more than normal.
3. Don’t feel like you need to take the lead from the start, this applies somewhat to 15+ game league tournaments and even more to 40+ game ones, as if you take a 30 point lead over 2nd after 20 games most people will realize and yet again you will find yourself getting attacked more than normal, this isn’t to say don’t win, but try to make it less obvious you are dominating.
4. Know the scoring system. Take Sir. Ricco’s Official Age of Realms Trilogy Tournament, where in a 6 player game 1st got 6 points, 2nd got 5, 3rd got 3, 4th got 2, 5th got 0, and 6th got -1. If there were 3 players left and if you sit back you will likely not win the game but you will get second and get 5 points where as you could try for first and risk either getting 3rd or 1st place in that game. So you are risking your 5 to either win 6 or 3, doesn’t seem worth it. Over the 6 games in that tournament if you were in that situation all 6 times if you played it safe you would have 30 points and if you had risked it and lost 50% of the time you would have 27 points.
5. Know your standings in the tournament, as WINNING ISN'T EVERYTHING. Yes winning helps but for some tournaments it isn’t required. To show this point clearer I will give an example from one of the tournaments I won. In it the number of people you killed was how a winner was determined. In the end I didn’t win a single game in the finals and yet I won the tournament. This just goes to show as long as you know how you are doing in the tournament and how others are doing you will have a better chance.
Optimus Prime was the only organizer with 30 tournaments finished. Now, barterer2002 has caught up.
It has been one year since the Tournament Forum re-organization. Before this, everything was just in one forum.
Here are the tournaments that are currently taking signups. Just click the title to visit the thread.
Ally and Enemy
Organizer: Sir. Ricco
Organizer: Forza AZ
1 versus 1 Tournaments
1v1 With A Twist
12 Battles of Christmas II
Suicidal Snowman’s Underdog 1v1
A tournament that gives the underdogs a chance! Lower ranked players have a few advantages built in designed to give an underdog a chance to come out with an upset. Favorites, however, still have plenty of room to take advantage of mistakes.
Rough estimate of percent complete/signed up: 10/128 signed up.
October World Domination Festival
Korean Football League
Position of Elimination
12 Round Classic Art Escalating Tournament
The Speed Tournament Test
King Tut Tour
Here are how some of the currently ongoing tournaments are progressing. Just click the title to visit the thread. Want your tournament listed here? Use the form at the end of this letter!
Asian Dinner Date
Using a 5x5 windmill setup.
First people have left the restaurant.
Most people stay to eat and drink more
Planned end date: 25 December
Using a 7x7 windmill setup.
The organiser was on a trip himself.
A lot of activity in hotels, inns and B&B's
Planned end date: 25 April.
The Legend of Tor Na’Mit
Round six is wrapping up.
The Long Walk
All games before the next elimination are now running.
Eight In One Tournament Headquarters
Eight tournaments by different organizers, with the winners competing for a premium prize. Join one, or join them all, the choice is yours.
Gilligan's Bracket Tournament III
Hath has won.
lord voldemort's Double Elimination Delight
graulenst has won.
Natewolfman’s Lost in Translation Tournament
Sir. Ricco’s Mission – Survive the Longest V4.0
biscuit boy wins
Gozar’s Battle for Waterloo Tournament
5/8 games of the finals finished.
amazzony's Musical Chairs
barterer2002's Alien Invasion
jennifermarie’s The C-list
Here are some tournaments that noted tournament organisers are planning on running soon.
Tournament ideas from the mind of barterer2002
Down and Dirty V
The Escalating Tournament II
The Championship Series
Trippel Trappel by PaulusH
Using a 6x6 windmill setup.
Based on St Nicolaas 36 individual people will be trapped in triples games.
Planned start date: 6 December
Here are some recent tournament winners.
"Major+ 2008 Summer Doubles" -Jiminski & firstholliday
"H2SY's Doubles" -David Wain and Nephilim
"Super Smash Bros. Doubles League" -odratsab and ekimlil216
"Championship Series: Brazil" -Tripitaka
"The Decisive War: Feudal War Triples" -Army of Achilles and White Moose and FATHARRY
"Quick Tourney" -got tonkaed
"WWIITS The Death Railway" -Army of Achilles
"Termination: Indochina" -Natelya
"Gladiator Assassin" -pelato
"The Timminz tournament" -Phoenix.bradley
"United Nations CC Conference" -Rhinestone80
"Foundry Update 5.0" -killmanic
"Minimalist Tournament" -Blindmatt
"Ultimate Classic's League" -KidWhiskey
"Back to Basics V" -Drew483
"Grand Slam" -LSU TigerJosh
"Anime Tourney Season 1" -killmanic
"History Class" -endar1077
"Mario Party Super Star" -mwcc
"FUS: cairnswk vs. WidowMakers" -Bones2484
"Just Win a Game" -dustin800
"Pick Your Letter" -MEK
"Live Once, Die Twice" -Blindmatt
"My House, My Rules" -prismsaber
"Western Europe Maps 1v1 Tournament" -joriki
"Star Trek: To Boldly Go" -negoeien
"A Day that Will Live in Infamy" -mrbang
"Championship Series: Battle for Actium" -Hath
"Qwert Bracket Tournament II" -Yokle
"Most Ultimate Feudal War Singles" -Chuuuuck[/b]
"Championship Series: BeNeLux" -vykingsfan64
"Championship Series: Bamboo Jack" -BaldAdonis
Newsletter interviews return next week, whether lackattack has his in or not. You can post you questions for our next interview subject, blacky44 in this thread.
Interview with lackattack or blacky44 Who will it be!?
If you want your tournament included in a future issue, please PM Gozar using this form:
Tournament Name: (with link)
Brief description or update:
Rough estimate of percent complete/signed up:
You can also write articles to submit for publishing, I can't keep this running by myself, I need YOUR help!
To subscribe/ unsubscribe for the tournament newsletter, visit this thread.
Editor in chief- Gozar
Recruiting Editor/Fun Facts- Gilligan
Graphics/Reviews- Sir. Ricco
News Hound- samuelc812
Contributors- People like you!