Conquer Club

Issue 48: 17/11/08

Old issues and old threads regarding various newsletter things.

Moderator: Community Team

Postby Gozar on Wed May 27, 2009 7:31 pm

Hello, tournament fans, players and organizers.
Our news team just keeps growing! We have amazzony signed on to bring you some tournament tips and tricks based on her vast tournament knowledge. Also, samuelc812 debuts as the News Hound this issue. We hope you like it.
Now go join a tournament!

As always, if you have any ideas or just want to help out, drop us a line.

Thanks, and enjoy!
Gozar

Sir. Ricco wrote:Hello all American CC players,
Well, Thanksgiving is coming up, and we all know what that means. Food, football, and friends. We at the Newsletter would like to do something special for the Thanksgiving newsletter.
So, all you readers send us a short PM about what you are thankful for. Hopefully we can get a big responds from you. The newsletter staff and I will wade through and find our favorites. So send the PM to Sir. Ricco.

Thanks,
Have a great Thanksgiving!

Image News Hound
Image Fun Facts
Image Currently Taking Signups
Image Tournament Updates
Image Coming Soon
Image The Tournament Roll of Honour
Image Tournament Interviews
Image Amazzony's Tournament Advice
Image Next Issue
Image Notes
Image Staff

Thank you all for your support as I fill the large shoes that White Moose has left me to fill, and I hope that my writing can draw the same interest that his did…Now on with this weeks News Hound!

The Next Multi-Organiser Tournament

This tournament is brought to you by 12 organisers who have united together in the Tournament Organizers (TO) forums by head referee amazzony (who got inspired from an idea by barterer2002). We have had 2 already successful multi-organiser tournaments in the World Cup 2010 - South Africa and the EIOT tournaments, and now it is time to get ready for the next multi-organiser tournament. This tourney will have a Table-Tennis theme with 12 qualifying tournaments, one for each rank. There will be one qualifying tournament for each rank from Cook right up to Majors, then Colonels and above will be merged into one. You must be the rank to enter a certain qualifying tournament and the winner of each qualifying tournament will advance to the Table Tennis Super League.

Each qualifying tournament will be a 1v1 setup in a 16 player bracket, to advance to the Super Finals winning 4 games won’t be enough. This tournament is based on Table Tennis so you will need to win at least 44 games in total to win your entire bracket. 11 games per round, just like in Table Tennis you need to win 11 points to win a set and because of this, 1 point will equal 1 CC game. To advance in each round you will need to be 2 points ahead of your opponent (e.g. 11:9). A round will be continuous after 11 points has passed, until someone is 2 points ahead.

What are the maps and settings you ask?
Each player will be asked upon joining to supply 12 maps, One map for each serve and each map must be different. One game will be played at a time as you serve with your map then your opponent will serve with their map and on and on it goes until there is a winner. All settings for these tournaments will be Sequential, Escalating, Chained, Sunny. There is a position for every rank in this tourney and anyone with one slot open can join, as one game will be played at a time.

Well that’s all from me for this week, Keep a look out for this multi-organiser tournament, it is coming soon…….

--samuelc812

What was the first map Quenched? Find out next week!

How many maps have been revamped from their original form?

Here are the tournaments that are currently taking signups. Just click the title to visit the thread.

Teams Tournaments

Doubles Tourney for All
Organizer: MormonMan

1 versus 1 Tournaments

1v1 With A Twist
Organizer: redbugal

Suicidal Snowman’s Underdog 1v1
Organizer: SucidalSnowman
This tournament is open to Freemiums and first time tournament players. It gives the weaker player a small advantage, so why not take a look and sign up?
Rough estimate of percent complete/signed up: Currently about 57/128

Stephan’s Frist 1v1 Tournament
Organizer: Stephen Wayne

The Army Warfare Bracket
Organizer: max if gr8

2500+ 1x1 Tournament
Organizer: Army of Achilles

General Tournaments

The Speed Tournament Test
Organizer: Natewolfman

Continents Cup
Organizer: Lufsen75

Continents Cup
Organizer: Lufsen75

Thanksgiving
Organizer: blacky44

European Freestyle King of Europe
Organizer: DJ Teflon

Asian Assassin Tournament
Organizer: Tang Kai

Tupence’s European Tournament
Organizer: Tupence

Trippel Trappel
Organizer: PaulusH
Waiting for people to join. Based on St Nicolaas 36 individual people will be trapped in tripple games. Planned start date: 6 December.

Trippel Trappel
Organizer: PaulusH

Poker Night at the Club
Organizer: Dragonah
Poker Night at the club is being played in honor of the Poker Club map going live and it's potential for a very unique play style. It features 64 players divided into 8 player "Tables" with the winner from each one moving on to the tournaments Final "Table"

The Epic Final War for World Domination
Organizer: Beko the Great

North American Ladder
Organizer: Megadeth666

All Around CC Maps: Age of Realms 3
Organizer: coded

Pirate Training Academy
Organizer: anamainiacks

Here are how some of the currently ongoing tournaments are progressing. Just click the title to visit the thread. Want your tournament listed here? Use the form at the end of this letter!

Asian Dinner Date
Organiser: PaulusH
Using a 5x5 windmill setup.
Still 10 people who can become overall winner. One table still busy with dessert and on four tables tea.
Planned end date: 25 December

City trip
Organiser: PaulusH
Using a 7x7 windmill setup.
All games in NYC and Brussels have been started.
Two groups left NYC and one Brussels other will follow soon.
Planned end date: 25 April.

Canadian Football League
Organiser: keiths31
Grey Cup after the Divisional Finals!

Conquer the New World
Final round under way...deep rounds

Global Musical Chairs
One game left in the pool round. Finals rounds coming soon.

Olympic Tournament
Organiser: ctgottapee
After Iron Maid was booted for being discovered a multi, the tourney went dead for a few weeks. I arranged with Steelhorse to take over the tourney and finish it out, being such a waste to let so huge an effort and nicely set up tourny go to waste.
Rough estimate of percent complete/signed up: 81 regional games completed with 370 players from 75 countries competing to qualify to represent their local region in the Olympics. 22 of the final 30 competitors have been decided with the 8 remaining players to come from European qualifiers yet to be completed.

The Battle for Escalating Supremacy
Organiser: barterer2002
Finishing up Round 1 on most maps.

The Greatest Baseball Team Ever
Organiser:barterer2002
75 Reds are in the finals. 44 Browns and 19 Reds are playing in the other semi finals

The Bombardment Tournament
Two finals games continuing.

The Battle For Supremacy
Currently finishing up Round 3 with two players already advancing to the finals.

The Legend of Tor Na’Mit
Organizer: Gozar
Round six is wrapping up.

The Long Walk
Organisers: Gozar
All games before the next elimination are now running.

Eight In One Tournament Headquarters
Eight tournaments by different organizers, with the winners competing for a premium prize. Join one, or join them all, the choice is yours.
Gilligan's Bracket Tournament III
Hath has won.
lord voldemort's Double Elimination Delight
graulenst has won.
Natewolfman’s Lost in Translation Tournament
KidWhiskey Wins
Sir. Ricco’s Mission – Survive the Longest V4.0
biscuit boy wins
Gozar’s Battle for Waterloo Tournament
5/8 games of the finals finished.
amazzony's Musical Chairs
EdwinG wins
barterer2002's Alien Invasion
EdwinG wins
jennifermarie’s The C-list
Hath wins

Here are some tournaments that noted tournament organisers are planning on running soon.

From keiths31:In keeping with the "Musical Chairs" theme there will be:
Musical Chairs: Mini Maps

Musical Chairs: North American City Tour

Tournament ideas from the mind of barterer2002 in the New Year
Gilligan's Islands
The Serbian Conquest
Kaplowitz's Unrelated Tournament
God of Godds
Night Sticks and Stones
Down and Dirty V
Brothers in Arms

Here are some recent tournament winners.

"2008 MLB Season" -BaldAdonis
"Feudal 1v1 Round Robin" -Army of Achilles
"War in the Americas" -goggles_paisano
"Serie A" -League: dragon dor & Forza AZ (Catania) /Cup: chard & Condor (Atalanta) / Supercup: dragon dor & Forza AZ (Catania)
"Climb the Mountain III" -BagwellTheGreat
"Emperor or Rome" -jbrettlip
"Captain Moo's Challenge Tournament" -DimnjacarStef
"Championship Series: Berlin1961" -dustin800
"The Mod Wars" -James Vasquez
"American Dominators Ult Bracket"- Joshrising
"World Maps 1v1 Tournament"- ralphcptc
"Major+ 2008 Summer Doubles" -Jiminski & firstholliday
"H2SY's Doubles" -David Wain and Nephilim
"Super Smash Bros. Doubles League" -odratsab and ekimlil216
"Championship Series: Brazil" -Tripitaka
"The Decisive War: Feudal War Triples" -Army of Achilles and White Moose and FATHARRY
"Quick Tourney" -got tonkaed
"WWIITS The Death Railway" -Army of Achilles
"Termination: Indochina" -Natelya
"Gladiator Assassin" -pelato
"The Timminz tournament" -Phoenix.bradley
"United Nations CC Conference" -Rhinestone80
"Foundry Update 5.0" -killmanic
"Minimalist Tournament" -Blindmatt
"Ultimate Classic's League" -KidWhiskey
"Back to Basics V" -Drew483
"Grand Slam" -LSU TigerJosh
"Anime Tourney Season 1" -killmanic
"History Class" -endar1077
"Mario Party Super Star" -mwcc
"FUS: cairnswk vs. WidowMakers" -Bones2484
"Just Win a Game" -dustin800
"Pick Your Letter" -MEK
"Live Once, Die Twice" -Blindmatt
"My House, My Rules" -prismsaber

lackattack remains tied up, so his interview remains pending. This week we bring you a chat with blacky44. Next week, we will bring you an interview with killmanic based on your questions. You can send them in here.

Now, on with the interview!

Q: Hello, blacky44.

A:What's up.

Q:How did you find this website?

A:My brother told me about it.

Q: Why did you join CC?

A:It sounded fun and my sisters wouldn't play risk with me :lol:.

Q:Why did you start to play tournaments?

A:I could win points and try to win tournaments.

Q:What made you want to start running tournaments?

A:I wanted something new to do and contribute to the site.

Q: How long have you been organizing tournaments?

A: Since July 21st

Q:What tournament did you first run?

A:NCAA football tournament

Q: Where did you come up with your tournament ideas?

A:Most of them are based on sports but some from old tournaments or anywhere else.

Q: Who do you look to for inspiration when organizing your tournaments?

A: Older tournaments.

Q: Describe the experience of your first tournament ran, and first played in.

A:I was kind of slow in the first one I ran and some people got mad. The first one I participated was also NCAA football tournament and got to the semi-finals

Q: How many tournaments have you run already, and do you have a goal in mind for how many you want to run in total before you "retire"? How many are you running right now?

A:I've ran one so far. I hope to organize about 50 by the time I'm 18 I hope I never retire though. Right now I'm running four.

Q:What tournaments have you organized?

A:Journey to the New World, Terminator of all Terminators,NFL Season,World War II, and NCAA football tournament.

Q:What is your favourite tournament you have run?

A:My favorite so far is NFL Season.

Q: What is your favorite tournament you’ve played in? Why?

A:I'm playing in College Hoops 08 its my favorite because its fun and just like the real thing.

Q:Do you prefer to run or enter tournaments?

A:Run

Q: Is there a specific type of format that you tend to gravitate towards? Why? Is there a format that is your favourite?

A:Standard, Flat rate, unlimited, no fog

Q: Do you find it easier to choose tournament settings yourself, or to let the players customize them?

A:Choose them myself, its much easier

Q: Overall, are you playing a lot in tournaments? If not, then why and where do you find your games to play?

A:I play most of my games in tournaments.

Q: How excited where you with your first CC win?

A:I was really excited it was the old classic,assassin,sequential,no cards, unlimited forts, and no fog of course there wasn't fog then and I gained 108 points.

Q:Have you ever won a tournament?

A:Sad to say no

Q: What is your most disappointing tournament loss to date?

A:I'm going to have to say I don't have one. The good thing about getting eliminated form the tournament if your freemium you get to join another.

Q: In your mind, what makes a successful tournament?

A: A good idea, lots of people, and you have to know what you are doing.

Q: What do you consider to be the most successful tournaments you've seen run?

A: Optimus Prime's he has the most successful tournaments and everyone likes his for some reason, I would like to join some of his but most are for premium.

Q: What is the best Tournament that you think has been underestimated?

A: I don't think there has been any.

Q:Have you ever been disappointed in a tournament you have run? What about one you entered?

A: NFL Season. I don't have enough reserves. I haven't had a disappointment in any I entered.

Q: What makes a successful organizer?

A:Good mind and Lots of ideas and Lots of time.

Q: How do you attract players to your tournament, and what aspect (besides a reward of a premium prize or something like that) of a tournament do you think appeals to a lot of players and why?

A: A lot of players like sports I don't really know why.

Q: Is there anything in particular that you dislike about tournament organizing?

A: The time it takes

Q: For you, what is the best part of being a tournament organizer?

A: Being a part of a website you love and seeing people join your tournaments. Plus the medals :lol: .

Q: What mistakes do you see tournament organizers make the most?

A:Not enough reserves ,and underestimate the time and abandon them

Q: With experience comes the wisdom of knowing what mistakes you've made in the past so you can avoid them in the future. What mistakes have you made in your tournaments that you are sure to avoid in future tournaments?

A: Get lots of reserves.

Q:What is your opinion on organizer neutrality? Should organizers be allowed to place themselves against their own clanmates in tournaments? Should organizers be allowed to join their own tournaments at all?

A: No for placing themselves against their own clan mates and I think organizers should be able to join their own tournaments but they need to be watched closely.

Q: Do you use a "schedule" for updating your tournaments, or do you just wait until they need an update?

A: Wait till they need a update.

Q:Should “question marks” be allowed to join tournaments?

A: No I think they need to learn before they join.

Q:Do you feel it is better to give a bye to players whose opponents deadbeats the tournament, or to use a reserve?

A: Depends on what kind it is but usually get a reserve.

Q: If you could change one thing about Conquer Club in general, what would it be?

A: This site is nearly perfect I like it the way it is but I would like to see some changes though.

Q: If there was something that the Conquer Club administrators could implement into the game to make tournaments easier to manage, what would it be? Similarly, is there anything you would like to see taken away from Conquer Club to make running tournaments easier?

A: A create all games button.

Q: If you are thinking purely on balance of tournament games is there anything you would want changing?

A:No

Q: Is there anything that you would recommend to encourage new tournament organizers?

A: Don't be scared don't abandon them either and remember if a 12 year old can do it you can.

Q: List your top 5 biggest tournament headache's to this point

A:Complainers, Deadbeats. I don't think I have any more.

Q:How much time does CC take from your day?

A: A couple hours.

Q:Are you a member of any clans or usergroups?

A:No.

Q:Who are you?

A:A kid who likes sports

Q: Why did you pick the name blacky44?

A:I play baseball and I am a catcher and my gear is black and my number is 44.

Q:Where are you from?

A:I live in Nashville TN

Q:Favourite play colour?

A: Red

Q:Favourite and least favourite map?

A: Great Lakes and USA. Least favorite is New World cant seem to win on that one.

Q:Favourite settings?

A:Freestyle, Escilating, Unlimited, Terminator, No fog

Q:Freestyle or sequential?

A:Freestyle

Q: Any tournaments planned for the future? What are they?

A: College Football 09 next year based on division II football and a Christmas tournament and BCS buster tournament based on the BCS Standings.

Q: Any parting shots?

A: No,thanks for this opportunity though

Q: Thank you for your time.

A:Any time Gozar

Lately I've noticed that may you be an experienced organiser or newcomer in the amazing tournaments' world, there are things that are made according to following saying - why use the shortcut when you can go around. I've decided that I should share the experience that I've gathered when running my tournaments and hopefully it will become a dialogue between myself and readers of the newsletter. This is not meant only for organisers, I would also like to hear thoughts from players who have played in tens, maybe hundreds of tournaments but never run one. You have different views and perspective that might be hidden from myself and other playing organisers. Everybody, please contact amazzony with your questions, problems, ideas and thoughts!

Today I've decided to concentrate on Inbox. Optimus Prime has made a great job with a small guide that locates in Q&A subforum of General Discussion: Powers of the Inbox: How-To. Though a lot is explained in there then I would like to bring out a few things.

• First and most important thing for TOs is the improvement that came with new forums awhile ago - chance to send a PM to many people at once. It's a blessing I tell you. I'm sure we have readers who don't remember the times when you could send message only to one person. Of course, it never stopped crazy people from running big tournaments but I'm very thankful (and there are surely others) that I can send one message to hundreds of players at once. It has opened new doors to updating tournaments, sending out games and pushing the limits to bigger and more complex tournaments.
  • Every saved second is a second that can be used in improving the tournament, I like to think. I've lately discovered that there's a cool button "Compose message". So, when you are sending several messages in a row then you don't have to return to Inbox and click "NEWPM" but you can save a click or two time to time. Might not seem much but when you are sending hundreds/thousands of messages then it saves you just a bit of time and I've found it quite handy.
  • Last but not least, a quick explanation what's the difference between "Add" and "Add [BCC]" buttons. When you use "Add" then everybody can see who the message has been sent. If you push "Add [BCC]" button then you won't share with others who else has got the same message. It's good to know when sending tournament invites or other messages that include tens or hundreds of names.

Have fun in discovering your Inbox and its possibilities! Don't forget to send me what you've discovered and what should be shared with the others in newsletter. In next issue we'll look a bit more into Inbox and if there are any questions by you then I'll find answers to them.

Wishing you happy messaging,

amazzony

Interview with lackattack or killmanic Who will it be!?

Notes

If you want your tournament included in a future issue, please PM Gozar using this form:

----------------FORM-------------------
Tournament Name: (with link)
Organiser Name:
Brief description or update:
Rough estimate of percent complete/signed up:
---------------FORM---------------------

You can also write articles to submit for publishing, I can't keep this running by myself, I need YOUR help!

To subscribe/ unsubscribe for the tournament newsletter, visit this thread.
-
-
-

Staff
Editor in chief- Gozar
Recruiting Editor/Fun Facts- Gilligan
Graphics/Reviews- Sir. Ricco
Tips, Tricks and Advice -amazzony
News Hound- samuelc812
Contributors- People like you!
Lieutenant Gozar

Return to Newsletter Archives