Conquer Club

New Notifier: 'Tell Me When'

Archival storage to keep things organized and uncluttered. Can't find what you need? Search for old topics here.

Moderator: Tech Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby Fantius on Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:11 pm

It was not a decision I made. It is automatic in the way the settings are tracked in the .NET framework. Sometimes it is annoying, but it does allow for the running of two instances with different settings. If you just figure out where you want to run the program from and be done with it, then it should not be an issue.
Sergeant Fantius

Postby iWin on Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:30 pm

I see... cool thanks for the quick response

Anyways I was playing around with it and I discovered that I can send a text message to my cell phone straight from your program. Anyways most carriers have an email address that consist of yourphonenumber@site.com for mine it's 5555555555@pcs.rogers.com If you search that website you can find sites that list them for every carrier in the world.

Good thing I get free incoming text messages, because now I will never miss a turn.
Private 1st Class iWin

Postby Hitmanblood on Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:13 pm

Hey it was all working properly and now I am experiencing the same mistakes as this guy who posted pictures.
207 Hitmanblood 2045 102 51 (50%)
Lieutenant Hitmanblood

Postby Hitmanblood on Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:21 pm

However I just downloaded it one more and it works fine.
207 Hitmanblood 2045 102 51 (50%)
Lieutenant Hitmanblood

Error msg

Postby oliver on Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:44 pm

Hi fantius, i got this msg while trying to use the program and i hope to get some advice from you...

ERROR:the underlying connection was closed: an unexpected error occured on a receive.

quite eager to solve this problem as my friend told me that it is extremely useful program for notification of game....

thanks in advance!
oliver
Sergeant 1st Class oliver

Postby jaybebo on Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:02 pm

On the Status tab, I get Result: Search pattern was not found.

I have set the URL to the following:

http://www.conquerclub.com/rss.php?username=jaybebo

Any reason it would not work? Or is it working and I will not be aware of it until a turn comes up?
Corporal jaybebo

Postby tahitiwahini on Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:16 am

jaybebo wrote:On the Status tab, I get Result: Search pattern was not found.

I have set the URL to the following:

http://www.conquerclub.com/rss.php?username=jaybebo

Any reason it would not work? Or is it working and I will not be aware of it until a turn comes up?

It is working and the search pattern was not found because it wasn't your turn in any of your active games.

Note there is up to a five minute delay from when it becomes your turn and when the notifier will indicate it's your turn.

The reason for this is that the RSS feed is currently set to update on five minute intervals.
Cheers,
Tahitiwahini
Private 1st Class tahitiwahini

Postby jaybebo on Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:15 pm

Thanks, tahiti
Corporal jaybebo

Postby jaybebo on Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:15 pm

Also, how do you keep the URL in the Tell Me When application?
Corporal jaybebo

Postby tahitiwahini on Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:46 am

jaybebo wrote:Also, how do you keep the URL in the Tell Me When application?

When you first install it, the Tell Me When notifier opens to the Monitor tab. Click on Autoconfigure for Conquer Club. It fills in the proper values except for your username. Enter your username in the place indicated. Click on the Status tab. Click on the Check Now button. It will tell you if you have any games that are ready for you to take your turn in. In your browser go to My Games and verify that both the Tell Me When notifier and My Games indicate the same number of games that are ready for you to take your turn in. Remember there may be an up to five-minute delay in the information that the Tell Me When notifier gets from My Games (actually the RSS feed from Conquer Club).

Now for your question. Are you saying you did the above configuration and it didn't work? Or it did work, but then it stopped working? Or that it didn't save your user name? Specifically, what's the problem?
Cheers,
Tahitiwahini

Postby jaybebo on Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:43 am

tahitiwahini wrote:

When you first install it, the Tell Me When notifier opens to the Monitor tab. Click on Autoconfigure for Conquer Club. It fills in the proper values except for your username. Enter your username in the place indicated. Click on the Status tab. Click on the Check Now button. It will tell you if you have any games that are ready for you to take your turn in. In your browser go to My Games and verify that both the Tell Me When notifier and My Games indicate the same number of games that are ready for you to take your turn in. Remember there may be an up to five-minute delay in the information that the Tell Me When notifier gets from My Games (actually the RSS feed from Conquer Club).

Now for your question. Are you saying you did the above configuration and it didn't work? Or it did work, but then it stopped working? Or that it didn't save your user name? Specifically, what's the problem?

It is working properly now at home. However, I am having an issue in getting it to work at work...LOL. I get the following error message...

The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135). Click on OK to terminate the application.

Thanks.
Corporal jaybebo

Postby tahitiwahini on Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:51 am

jaybebo wrote:
tahitiwahini wrote:

It is working properly now at home. However, I am having an issue in getting it to work at work...LOL. I get the following error message...

The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135). Click on OK to terminate the application.

Thanks.

Variety of things to try in this order:

1. Exit the application and start it again.

2. Reboot your computer and try it again.

3. Uninstall the application, re-install and try it again.
Cheers,
Tahitiwahini

Postby NormalGuy on Thu May 03, 2007 2:31 pm

When i tried to download this utility (after downloading the Net 2.0 files) it gives me an error message and won't let me download.

Note: I've tried this on two computers and get the same error in both places.

Any ideas?

NG
Sergeant 1st Class NormalGuy

Postby tahitiwahini on Thu May 03, 2007 3:16 pm

NormalGuy wrote:When i tried to download this utility (after downloading the Net 2.0 files) it gives me an error message and won't let me download.

Note: I've tried this on two computers and get the same error in both places.

Any ideas?

NG

The error message says what exactly?
Cheers,
Tahitiwahini

Postby NormalGuy on Thu May 03, 2007 3:37 pm

"TellMeWhen has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

Then all the standard Microsoft mumbo jumbo about reporting the error.

When I click "What data does this error report contain?" this is what I see

EventType : clr20r3 P1 : tellmewhen[1].exe P2 : 1.0.0.0
P3 : 45ec9301 P4 : mscorlib P5 : 2.0.0.0 P6 : 4333ab80 P7 : 36c1
P8 : b P9 : system.security.security

I would take a picture of it and post it if I knew how :)

Postby cleveridea on Thu May 03, 2007 4:38 pm

NormalGuy wrote:"TellMeWhen has encountered... ystem.security.security

I had that symptom when trying to run the executable from a network location.

The author of the program doesn't share the source code, so there's no way of knowing why he made the build options that he did.
Corporal 1st Class cleveridea

Postby tahitiwahini on Thu May 03, 2007 4:40 pm

NormalGuy wrote:"TellMeWhen has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

Then all the standard Microsoft mumbo jumbo about reporting the error.

When I click "What data does this error report contain?" this is what I see

EventType : clr20r3 P1 : tellmewhen[1].exe P2 : 1.0.0.0
P3 : 45ec9301 P4 : mscorlib P5 : 2.0.0.0 P6 : 4333ab80 P7 : 36c1
P8 : b P9 : system.security.security

I would take a picture of it and post it if I knew how :)

What is that last thing that you did successfully in regard to the Tell Me When Notifier? In other words, does it download OK, but then you get this error when you try to run it for the first time. What in your opinion is the last thing that worked for you in regard to the Tell Me When Notifier. Tell me what you did. You went to the site, you clicked on the download, did you see the "Opening TellMeWhen.exe" window, did the download complete? Be very explicit. You can't give me too much information.

I have a suspicion from the error you are getting that it may be a pop-up blocker or firewall issue, but before I tell you how to get around those problems I'd like to have a better understanding of where things are going wrong.

There's a big difference between telling the mechanic that your car doesn't work, and telling him that when you turn the steering wheel to the right the car continues to go straight ahead. The former is just going to elicit further questions, the latter has some hope of getting the problem solved. :wink:

You might even want to consider using the Conquer Tell Notifier, that's the one I use and I prefer it over this one.

However, this one will work too. The problem you're experiencing shouldn't be insurmountable.
Cheers,
Tahitiwahini

Postby NormalGuy on Fri May 04, 2007 7:48 am

OK, I'm just an idiot. I was trying to run the .exe file BEFORE I downloaded it to my desktop.

Its working now.....at least it looks like its working.

Thanks for the input,

NG

Postby datcoolittledude on Sun May 06, 2007 2:34 pm

whenever i try to download http://fantius.com/TellMeWhen.exe it tells me windows execute needs to close. is there another place i need to go first?
Sergeant 1st Class datcoolittledude

Postby tahitiwahini on Sun May 06, 2007 4:33 pm

datcoolittledude wrote:whenever i try to download http://fantius.com/TellMeWhen.exe it tells me windows execute needs to close. is there another place i need to go first?

Not sure what's causing this problem.

Suggestion, start from a clean slate: close down everything that's currently open. Restart your computer. Open your browser, go to conquer club and try to do the download again.

Good luck.
Cheers,
Tahitiwahini

Postby W F Crappeshotte on Tue May 15, 2007 7:39 pm

I'd love to have this tool, but all I get is Picture It trying and failing to open a file. I installed the .NET runtime environment successfully, but still the same result.

Any guidance for a computer dunce?
Captain W F Crappeshotte

Postby tahitiwahini on Tue May 15, 2007 9:19 pm

W F Crappeshotte wrote:I'd love to have this tool, but all I get is Picture It trying and failing to open a file. I installed the .NET runtime environment successfully, but still the same result.

Any guidance for a computer dunce?

When you click on the New hosted location: link in the first post of this thread you should see a window pop-up that looks like this:

Click on Save File.

Once the download is complete. Right-click on the downloaded file and click on Properties. It should indicate that Type of file: Application as in this picture:

If so, click OK. Right-click the file again and this time click Open.

It should open this window:

Click the Monitor tab, and then click on Autoconfigure for Conquer Club and follow the on-screen instructions.

Let me know if you get different results.

Good luck.
Cheers,
Tahitiwahini

Postby W F Crappeshotte on Wed May 16, 2007 8:09 pm

Thanks for your response, but nope... I don't get that.

I can't put the graphics in this post as you have, but when I click on the link at the head of this thread I get the two usual download windows open...

File Download - Security Warning
Do you want to save this file?
Name: rss.php
Type: Microsoft Picture It! Document, 244 bytes
Open/Save/Cancel

And...

File Download
Getting File Information:
rss.php from http://www.conquerclub.com
(Activity bar)
etc...

I have clicked on "Save", and all it did was download a small Picture It doc which wouldn't open.

- Steve -
Captain W F Crappeshotte

Postby tahitiwahini on Wed May 16, 2007 9:23 pm

W F Crappeshotte wrote:Thanks for your response, but nope... I don't get that.

I can't put the graphics in this post as you have, but when I click on the link at the head of this thread I get the two usual download windows open...

File Download - Security Warning
Do you want to save this file?
Name: rss.php
Type: Microsoft Picture It! Document, 244 bytes
Open/Save/Cancel

And...

File Download
Getting File Information:
rss.php from http://www.conquerclub.com
(Activity bar)
etc...

I have clicked on "Save", and all it did was download a small Picture It doc which wouldn't open.

- Steve -

OK, I think I see the problem.

Go back and read the first post in this thread. Read it carefully, read it slowly, read it all the way to the end, don't just click on links. After you've read the whole thing through, look for the link called New Hosted Location. Try clicking on that link....

Good luck!
Cheers,
Tahitiwahini

Postby W F Crappeshotte on Thu May 17, 2007 10:25 am

Okay... All sorted now, and running well.

Thank you for your guidance. Some of us, despite being electrical engineers, are still computer dunces and so idiot notes are always appreciated.

Now back to conquering the world.
Captain W F Crappeshotte

PreviousNext

Return to Tool Archives