Conquer Club

BOB comments (old thread)

Archival storage to keep things organized and uncluttered. Can't find what you need? Search for old topics here.

Moderator: Tech Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: BOB 4.10.7

Postby cdogg85 on Thu May 06, 2010 1:23 pm

The script link in the bob forum does not seem to be working for me.
Major cdogg85

Postby paulk on Sat May 08, 2010 4:32 am

I get the blinking Update available for both BOB and clicky maps, but when I click them the only thing that happens is a mini window blinks (opens and immediately closes) and nothing else. No update happens.
Not that it matters. both work fine for me (except the pesky thing that clickys always want to scroll up the page when I am deploying/moving troops).
It's just annoying with the blink crap.
Major paulk

Re: BOB 4.10.5

Postby ender516 on Sat May 08, 2010 11:16 pm

paulk wrote:I get the blinking Update available for both BOB and clicky maps, but when I click them the only thing that happens is a mini window blinks (opens and immediately closes) and nothing else. No update happens.
Not that it matters. both work fine for me (except the pesky thing that clickys always want to scroll up the page when I am deploying/moving troops).
It's just annoying with the blink crap.

As I said a few pages back:
ender516 wrote:I have found that if, each time I login, I click for the update, I get a quick flash of a small dialog box. If I then press control-f5, the flashing Update Available goes away.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby General Flashman on Fri May 14, 2010 3:20 am

Hi! I have just been called a variety of names for mentioning that I use BOB.

I did not realise that there was an idea in CC that doing so was in some way cheating! The suggestion was that this was doing my thinking for me.

I do not have a problem with someone taking that view, but it is the fiorst time I have heard it - are there fundamentalists who feel that it is unfair to make use of it?
Cook General Flashman

Postby Dako on Fri May 14, 2010 3:45 am

Only the ones that are not allowed to install Firefox at work :P.
Colonel Dako

Postby anonymus on Fri May 14, 2010 12:01 pm

maybe wrong thread but i would like to see an option where snapshots are above the map so you can turn on and off without scrolling seeing progress.. is that possible for the enhancements for next update?

would look like this

1 2 3 4 5 Live
Click image to enlarge.

show: BoganGod speaks the truth
Colonel anonymus

Postby Dako on Fri May 14, 2010 3:24 pm

I have installed Ready Turns GM Script and now hide menu option is bugging me. In game, when I have at least 1 ready game and I am watching snapshots - left menu will not autohide on mousenter() event.

So here is the fix for your hideSideBr() function

Code: Select all
function hideSideBar() {
   if (!menuIsHidden()) {
      return;
   }
   var leftMenu = $("#leftColumn");
   // Don't hide the menu if you have a PM and are outside of the game page!
   if (/game.php\?game=[0-9]*$/.test(window.location.href) || !leftMenu.find('span.inbox').exists()) {
      // Don't hide the menu if you have a PM!
      leftMenu.hide();
      $("#outerColumnContainer").css('borderLeft',"0em solid #DDEEDD");
   }
}

I think it is wise to always hide side menu on game pages because you want to be focuses on the game even when you have an email.

What do you think?
Colonel Dako

Postby Namor on Fri May 14, 2010 5:18 pm

General Flashman wrote:Hi! I have just been called a variety of names for mentioning that I use BOB.

I did not realise that there was an idea in CC that doing so was in some way cheating! The suggestion was that this was doing my thinking for me.

I do not have a problem with someone taking that view, but it is the fiorst time I have heard it - are there fundamentalists who feel that it is unfair to make use of it?

No it's not cheating, it's no different to using a calculator for maths problems or a computer for sorting data.

You still need the skills and knowledge to know how to use the info that BOB gives you.

It actually gives no information, that you can't glean for yourself by reading the log. It just saves a lot of time for those that have a life outside of CC to attend to.

I wouldn't mind betting that most of the complaints come from freemiums who have a stack of time to play their 4 games and would like the advantage they'd have over anyone with a heavy game load.
Colonel Namor

Postby yeti_c on Sat May 15, 2010 3:40 pm

Dako wrote:I have installed Ready Turns GM Script and now hide menu option is bugging me. In game, when I have at least 1 ready game and I am watching snapshots - left menu will not autohide on mousenter() event.

So here is the fix for your hideSideBr() function

Code: Select all
function hideSideBar() {
   if (!menuIsHidden()) {
      return;
   }
   var leftMenu = $("#leftColumn");
   // Don't hide the menu if you have a PM and are outside of the game page!
   if (/game.php\?game=[0-9]*$/.test(window.location.href) || !leftMenu.find('span.inbox').exists()) {
      // Don't hide the menu if you have a PM!
      leftMenu.hide();
      $("#outerColumnContainer").css('borderLeft',"0em solid #DDEEDD");
   }
}

I think it is wise to always hide side menu on game pages because you want to be focuses on the game even when you have an email.

What do you think?

Yeah - I coded that to show you when you got PM's - but I quite like the idea of hiding in games always regardless.

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby bulgurc on Mon May 17, 2010 1:01 pm

Here is an idea for enchantment:
At the end of your turn BOB takes a auto-snapshot. This should not be a series of snapshots stored, but should overwrite the previous end-of-turn snapshot. I think this would be very helpful, especially for people who have lots of games going, as you tend to forget status-quo when it is your turn again
Sergeant 1st Class bulgurc

Postby General Brewsie on Sun May 23, 2010 1:39 am

bulgurc wrote:Here is an idea for enchantment:
At the end of your turn BOB takes a auto-snapshot. This should not be a series of snapshots stored, but should overwrite the previous end-of-turn snapshot. I think this would be very helpful, especially for people who have lots of games going, as you tend to forget status-quo when it is your turn again

I second that motion. So many times I forget to take a snapshot. What a great tool when subbing, too!

I'm not so sure it would be an "enchantment," but I am sure it would be an enhancement.
Lieutenant General Brewsie

Postby numone on Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:46 pm

Not sure if it was asked yet, but are you planning on creating a Chrome extension out of this?

here is some basic info for Chrome extensions:
Google I/O 2010 showing how to create chrome extensions:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVSR6gufMXI

API on Content Scripts (which for the most part is the same as GM scripts):
http://code.google.com/chrome/extension ... ripts.html

Chrome localStorage (to store data):
http://www.rajdeepd.com/articles/chrome ... Sample.htm
Corporal 1st Class numone

Postby sherkaner on Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:53 pm

numone wrote:Not sure if it was asked yet, but are you planning on creating a Chrome extension out of this?

here is some basic info for Chrome extensions:
Google I/O 2010 showing how to create chrome extensions:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVSR6gufMXI

API on Content Scripts (which for the most part is the same as GM scripts):
http://code.google.com/chrome/extension ... ripts.html

Chrome localStorage (to store data):
http://www.rajdeepd.com/articles/chrome ... Sample.htm

Yes, most of the current version does work in Chrome, except for refreshing (stats stay the same as when you arrived at the page, and some other things) and snapshots. Currently, this is impossible in Chrome since chrome doesn't allow direct interaction between the site script and the extension script.
But it seems like an upcoming change on CC will probably make this possible too. So probably within a month (but I'm not promising anything).
Colonel sherkaner

Postby numone on Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:03 pm

sherkaner wrote:Yes, most of the current version does work in Chrome, except for refreshing (stats stay the same as when you arrived at the page, and some other things) and snapshots. Currently, this is impossible in Chrome since chrome doesn't allow direct interaction between the site script and the extension script.
But it seems like an upcoming change on CC will probably make this possible too. So probably within a month (but I'm not promising anything).

sounds good, thanks!

I wasn't sure if background_page ( http://code.google.com/chrome/extension ... pages.html ) was able to accomplish this since I know it can do things that content_script cannot (such as cross origin ajax calls)
Corporal 1st Class numone

Postby sherkaner on Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:30 pm

I just double-checked, I didn't upgrade to that version of BOB actually, since it could potentially break for some people. But I had that version running in Chrome on my PC..
Colonel sherkaner

Postby ddgrimes on Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:39 am

Does anyone know where you can get the latest version directly to install.
I am running Firefox 3.6.3 and it shows update avail.
But it will not update, just does a quick pop up that disappears.

I am stuck at 4.7.3 as this is a new install with Windows 7 so it is useless.

ddgrimes is my user tag if anyone knows how I can get the latest script version directly without going through the Update Available link.

Thanks
Captain ddgrimes

Postby Dako on Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:32 am

Colonel Dako

Postby sherkaner on Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:40 am

Lack is going to make a change that will have an impact on BOB today (probably).

Once that happens, BOB will load forever ingame. I'll try to release a new version as soon as that happens.
If I don't make it in time, you could install this version: http://userscripts.org/scripts/source/52700.user.js (Click to install. Btw, this doesn't work with the current setup, so only install after the change).
Side-note: I assume you have firefox 3.5+ or chrome for the new version, firefox 3.0 users: please upgrade.
Colonel sherkaner

Postby Kinnison on Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:09 pm

BOB 5.0.0. bug: it doesn't seem to be showing the "zone bonuses" in the statistics. Nor is it calculating them for # of armies expected on the coming turn.
Currently Running Tourneys: -none-
Tourney Winner: "You're Eliminated" III; Keep It Simple Quads - Team Generation One
Lieutenant Kinnison

Postby sherkaner on Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:18 pm

Kinnison wrote:BOB 5.0.0. bug: it doesn't seem to be showing the "zone bonuses" in the statistics. Nor is it calculating them for # of armies expected on the coming turn.

Yes, it seems like I made a small mistake somewhere, noted. I'll get a version 5.0.1 out soon.
Colonel sherkaner

Postby nippersean on Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:20 pm

Bob and clickies just gone for me
Brigadier nippersean

Postby Namor on Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:27 pm

nippersean wrote:Bob and clickies just gone for me

Same here. Absolutly nothing from either.

I tried the link mentioned 4 posts back;

sherkaner wrote:Lack is going to make a change that will have an impact on BOB today (probably).

Once that happens, BOB will load forever ingame. I'll try to release a new version as soon as that happens.
If I don't make it in time, you could install this version: http://userscripts.org/scripts/source/52700.user.js (Click to install. Btw, this doesn't work with the current setup, so only install after the change).
Side-note: I assume you have firefox 3.5+ or chrome for the new version, firefox 3.0 users: please upgrade.

... but still have BoB 5.0.0 installed.

Using;

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-GB; rv:1.9.2.3) Gecko/20100401 Firefox/3.6.3 GTB7.0 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
Colonel Namor

Postby sherkaner on Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:32 pm

Namor wrote:
nippersean wrote:Bob and clickies just gone for me

Same here. Absolutly nothing from either.

I tried the link mentioned 4 posts back;

sherkaner wrote:Lack is going to make a change that will have an impact on BOB today (probably).

... but still have BoB 5.0.0 installed.

Using;

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-GB; rv:1.9.2.3) Gecko/20100401 Firefox/3.6.3 GTB7.0 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)

Yeah, this is a bit confusing. Lack made a last-minute change, and I had to adapt to that, which ment that the first minutes after the update, the script wasn't working.
Ehm, just install the normal way (clicking 'Latest version installed' is easiest). It isn't perfect (I noticed 1 error for now, I didn't notice it when debugging unfortunately), but at least it runs.
Colonel sherkaner

BOB 5.0.0

Postby rappel on Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:33 pm

Haven't yet found what the new zones feature is for, but if I turn it off with the hide button shouldn't they all remain hidden? After the next game turn they come back for me, even if I leave a message.

Firefox 3.6.3, GM - current 0.8.20100408.6 BOB 5.0.0
Captain rappel

Postby josko.ri on Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:34 pm

I clicked on your link and my BOB dissapered at all :(
then I tried on GET BOB on first page and nothing changed :(
Major josko.ri

PreviousNext

Return to Tool Archives