Manual troops not on maps with starting positions

Suggestions that have made it through the grind, and have become integrated into the site!

Moderators: Suggestions Team, Global Moderators

Re: Manual troops, not all maps [suggestion]

Postby natty dread on Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:30 am

Again, if my suggestion is followed, then the only settings/maps blocked will be those where you will have no chance to deploy manually or you can only choose 1 territory to deploy on. This won't affect your favorite maps so stop complaining ;)
Image
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread
 
Posts: 13255
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:58 pm
Location: fucked off
Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Re: Manual troops, not all maps [suggestion]

Postby alstergren on Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:46 pm

natty_dread wrote:Again, if my suggestion is followed, then the only settings/maps blocked will be those where you will have no chance to deploy manually or you can only choose 1 territory to deploy on. This won't affect your favorite maps so stop complaining


Agree - manual deployment has a strategic element on maps like New World and WWII Poland (which has been discussed) but not Citi Mogul where you don't deploy troops.
Gengoldy wrote:Of all the games I've played, and there have been some poor sports and cursing players out there, you are by far the lowest and with the least class.
User avatar
Major alstergren
 
Posts: 3064
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:35 pm
Location: Stockholm (Sweden)
Medals: 136
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Bot Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (20)
General Achievement (10) Clan Achievement (7) Training Achievement (1) Challenge Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (32)

Re: Manual troops, not all maps [suggestion]

Postby SirSebstar on Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:43 am

i do not want my medals revoked
User avatar
Major SirSebstar
 
Posts: 7329
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:51 am
Location: SirSebstar is BACK. Highscore: Colonel Score: 2919 21/03/2011
Medals: 95
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (23) General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (9) Training Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (4)
General Contribution (11)

Re: Manual troops, not all maps [suggestion]

Postby Arama86n on Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:51 am

Don't like mogul, but have gotten an invite or two, and accepted. first thing that came up in game chat was somone ridiculing game-creater for making it manual to get medal, so obviously it happens.

Is this a big deal? I suppose not, but I don't see the big deal in closing the loop-hole that makes makes the medal worthless. They shut down termiantor 1v1 abuse and revoked (a fair call imo) I don't see why not here.

If somone argues they want to play Pelo manual, then perhaps it can be coded so you can play manual on Pelo, Mogul etc -but it jsut doesn't count towards medal.
User avatar
Major Arama86n
 
Posts: 1382
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:32 pm
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (5) Clan Achievement (8) Tournament Contribution (4)

Re: Manual troops, not all maps [suggestion]

Postby wisemanpsemc on Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:08 pm

onbekende wrote:Age of Realms (1, 2, 3)
City Mogul
New World
Feudal Epic
Feudal War
St Patricksday - not playable
(Das Schloss)
(Peloponnesian War)

that should be an accurate list of maps that are clearly not maps for the manual troop placement medal. (if I missed one, it means I didn't pkay that one yet, which is not many maps), 2 last maps are in Beta.

there are also some that are borderline cause of either the objectives (aka if you don't read carefully, you corner yourself with a manual deploy)or cause of amount of territories (who would even start a manual drop on those?)


AOR 1,2,3 - for 3 players or less and teams gives you 2 starting positions. Getting rid of manual would change the game play. 4 or more players manual is useless.
Major wisemanpsemc
 
Posts: 1362
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:59 pm
Medals: 40
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (4) Training Achievement (5) Tournament Contribution (4)

Re: Manual troops, not all maps [suggestion]

Postby rdsrds2120 on Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:55 am

Yeah, I do a lot of 1v1 AoR2 manual, and it's nice to put them on one spot to start. Let's the game progress quicker I think. Otherwise, I'm in complete support for this.
Image
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120
Retired Administrator
 
Posts: 7220
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:42 am
Medals: 90
Conquer Cup Bronze Achievement (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (9)
Clan Achievement (7) Training Achievement (3) Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (9)

Re: Manual troops, not all maps [suggestion]

Postby eddie2 on Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:24 pm

Master Fenrir wrote:City Mogul is a definite yes, the others I can see, too. Also, I believe that Jamaica is the same as City Mogul, where you have no troops to deploy. I haven't played Jamaica with manual, but one of my friends said this is the case.

One thing I would like to say, though, is that WWII Poland, although a conquest map, is greatly affected by the manual/automatic setting because there aren't as many neutrals between the bases as there are in Pelop & Feudals.

Those who know this map well will tell you there is a difference in gameplay when playing this map on each setting. I would request that you don't eliminate manual deployment as an option for WWII Poland.


this being said why can't jamaica map be changed to when you manual deploy you can put all on one region it would make it more fun
User avatar
Sergeant eddie2
 
Posts: 3812
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:56 am
Location: jersey channel islands
Medals: 72
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (5) Clan Achievement (9)
Tournament Contribution (5) General Contribution (3)

Re: Manual troops, not all maps [suggestion]

Postby greenoaks on Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:39 pm

natty_dread wrote:Sigh... I guess I have to reiterate this. Whether a map is suitable for manual or not should be game type dependent. For example some maps might not be suitable for 5 player singles manual, but could be suitable for 4 player doubles. The system I proposed would take this in account, and should be simple to code:

to allow for manual deployment, for singles games a map must have for each player at least 2 territories that do not start neutral, of which at least 1 territory must not be coded as a starting position.

In the case of team games, the 2 territories minimum doesn't apply, but each player must still start with at least 1 territory that is not coded as starting position.

i do not understand the bolded bit

would 1v1 on Pelo, the Feudals & AoR2 allow manual under your rules or not ?
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class greenoaks
Tech Contributor
Tech Contributor
 
Posts: 9997
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:47 am
Medals: 138
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (4)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (30) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (14)
Tournament Contribution (34) General Contribution (4)

Re: Manual troops, not all maps [suggestion]

Postby PLAYER57832 on Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:23 pm

rdsrds2120 wrote:Yeah, I do a lot of 1v1 AoR2 manual, and it's nice to put them on one spot to start. Let's the game progress quicker I think. Otherwise, I'm in complete support for this.

Fuedal 1-3 player have the same issue.
Sergeant PLAYER57832
 
Posts: 2324
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:17 am
Location: Pennsylvania
Medals: 30
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (4)
Training Achievement (1)

Re: Manual troops, not all maps [suggestion]

Postby rdsrds2120 on Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:02 pm

So this question remains:

"For what games do medals get stripped for?"

Also, do we have the ability to just ban certain maps from being manual, or can we do it per settings as well? If so, what are all the combinations of maps and settings that we don't want manual troops to be allocated?

-rd
Image
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120
Retired Administrator
 
Posts: 7220
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:42 am
Medals: 90
Conquer Cup Bronze Achievement (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (9)
Clan Achievement (7) Training Achievement (3) Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (9)

Re: Manual troops, not all maps [suggestion]

Postby natty dread on Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:24 am

rdsrds2120 wrote:So this question remains:

"For what games do medals get stripped for?"

Also, do we have the ability to just ban certain maps from being manual, or can we do it per settings as well? If so, what are all the combinations of maps and settings that we don't want manual troops to be allocated?

-rd


I'm going to say it again:

  • to allow for manual deployment, for singles games a map must have for each player at least 2 territories that do not start neutral, of which at least 1 territory must not be coded as a starting position.
  • In the case of team games, the 2 territories minimum doesn't apply, but each player must still start with at least 1 territory that is not coded as starting position.

Per map+gametype combination, each player starts with a certain number of droppable (non-neutral) territories. Of those territories, a certain number of territories are coded as "starting positions" in the XML, and those starting point territories will not be available for manual deploy - they will always start with the amount of troops specified in the XML, manual or not. Thus follows the 2 rules I have specified:

In a singles game, you must have at least 2 territories in the start - otherwise you only have a choice of 1 territory to drop, and manual deploy is a moot point. Also at least one of those territories must be a non-starting-position territory, because if they are all coded as starting positions, the troops will not become available for manual deployment. Got it so far? Good.

Now, in a team game, the rules should be a bit different, because you can also opt to drop on your teammates. Thus, the 2 territory minimum doesn't apply, because the team will always have a total number of territories of at least 2. But nonetheless each team member must have at least one non-starting-position territory, just like in singles games.

---

Therefore, each map should be considered separately for singles/team games and taking the number of players in account, because the amount of starting territories also varies according to the number of players.

I think the easiest way would be to write a script that analyzes the XML, gets the starting territory amounts for each gametype/player amount/map combination, and then decides whether the map is viable for manual deployment or not. ChipV, I'm looking at you ;)
Image
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread
 
Posts: 13255
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:58 pm
Location: fucked off
Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Re: Manual troops, not all maps [suggestion]

Postby alex951 on Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:08 pm

This seems like a suggestion with good intentions, but why ban certain maps? why not just avoid specific maps with specific settings?
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class alex951
 
Posts: 893
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:00 pm
Medals: 34
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) General Achievement (3)

Re: Manual troops, not all maps [suggestion]

Postby 40kguy on Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:54 pm

i think you should be able to play manual just not have it count towards the medal.


my reasons
1.there is actually different strategy in the manual when there 1v1. for examble, i cant win aor2 when i play manual but when i play automatic i win.
2.on city mougal it gives people 5 minuets/24 hours to make the turn so someone dosent get a cheap shot at you when your not in the game.
Image
16:00:18 ‹Pixar› Valentines Day the one day in they year that the V and the D come together
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class 40kguy
 
Posts: 1757
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:39 am
Medals: 55
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (5)

Re: Manual troops, not all maps [suggestion]

Postby greenoaks on Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:32 am

natty_dread wrote:
rdsrds2120 wrote:So this question remains:

"For what games do medals get stripped for?"

Also, do we have the ability to just ban certain maps from being manual, or can we do it per settings as well? If so, what are all the combinations of maps and settings that we don't want manual troops to be allocated?

-rd


I'm going to say it again:

  • to allow for manual deployment, for singles games a map must have for each player at least 2 territories that do not start neutral, of which at least 1 territory must not be coded as a starting position.
  • In the case of team games, the 2 territories minimum doesn't apply, but each player must still start with at least 1 territory that is not coded as starting position.

Per map+gametype combination, each player starts with a certain number of droppable (non-neutral) territories. Of those territories, a certain number of territories are coded as "starting positions" in the XML, and those starting point territories will not be available for manual deploy - they will always start with the amount of troops specified in the XML, manual or not. Thus follows the 2 rules I have specified:

In a singles game, you must have at least 2 territories in the start - otherwise you only have a choice of 1 territory to drop, and manual deploy is a moot point. Also at least one of those territories must be a non-starting-position territory, because if they are all coded as starting positions, the troops will not become available for manual deployment. Got it so far? Good.

Now, in a team game, the rules should be a bit different, because you can also opt to drop on your teammates. Thus, the 2 territory minimum doesn't apply, because the team will always have a total number of territories of at least 2. But nonetheless each team member must have at least one non-starting-position territory, just like in singles games.

---

Therefore, each map should be considered separately for singles/team games and taking the number of players in account, because the amount of starting territories also varies according to the number of players.

I think the easiest way would be to write a script that analyzes the XML, gets the starting territory amounts for each gametype/player amount/map combination, and then decides whether the map is viable for manual deployment or not. ChipV, I'm looking at you ;)

we do not know which maps get coded as starting positions so it doesn't matter how many times you say this

if you provide us with a list, we can see if your proposal is reasonable (and in my case understand your proposal better)
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class greenoaks
Tech Contributor
Tech Contributor
 
Posts: 9997
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:47 am
Medals: 138
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (4)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (30) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (14)
Tournament Contribution (34) General Contribution (4)

Re: Manual troops, not all maps [suggestion]

Postby natty dread on Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:48 pm

greenoaks wrote:we do not know which maps get coded as starting positions so it doesn't matter how many times you say this

if you provide us with a list, we can see if your proposal is reasonable (and in my case understand your proposal better)


The XML:s for all maps are public information. Unfortunately I do not really have the time to parse them into a list for your convenience... if you really can't tell when starting positions are used, here's a few tips:

- when you start a manual game, do you see territories that still drop automatically, ie. not as 1:s, but with a set number, in the same way as in automatic? Those territories are starting positions.
- if a non-neutral territory at the start of the game (manual or auto) has any other amount of troops than 3, it is a starting position.
- umm... that's it actually. ;)
Image
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread
 
Posts: 13255
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:58 pm
Location: fucked off
Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

PreviousNext

Return to Implemented Suggestions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron
Login