MeDeFe wrote:And your logic is nonexistent.
There are about 20000 players on the site. People rating their friends higher than they might deserve amount to maybe 2% of the inflation. The remaining 98% are due to people not bothering/wanting/daring to rate those who don't leave an impression or who leave a bad impression. Reasons for people not rating have also been pointed out already. Compared to the big problem of people only leaving good ratings, the problem of people rating their friends better than they deserve is not noteworthy.
Because inflation cannot be ruled out 100% but only mostly ruled out you say that nothing should be done at all? You must be kidding.
Currently "not rated" means zero added in, all across the board. That means the skewed 2% ratings appear high, like 4.8.
In your proposed change, "not rated" will mean zero added in, all across the board. The same 2% ratings will still appear. While a 1.25 won't look as high as a 4.8, the percentage of deviation will remain the same. you'll have very few zeros (we have very few 3's now), some -1.25's and some +1.25's, almost no 5's (we currently have almost no 5's) .
Do you understand the words that are coming out of my mouth? And through the keys? It will only LOOK like you've made a change, because the real problem isn't what the numbers look like, the real problem is that only 2% of the players will rate consistently, and those will STILL be either their friends or their foes.
Logically speaking, it won't make a bit of difference, even if it has the APPEARANCE of making a difference. You must work for some government somewhere, because only politicians and government workers count on "appearances" over actual results... and only politicians and government workers would think it's logical to do so.