[GL] Game Log 2.0

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderators: Suggestions Team, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Suggestion - Replay

Postby WOTE on Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:02 am

it would be nice to be able to replay the games. I know the code would be not to hard to write for one map but 30maps is a lot, how abo9ut just the classics and popular maps ? :roll:
User avatar
Cook WOTE
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:44 am
Medals: 13
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)

Re: Game Log 2.0 [To-Do]

Postby lancehoch on Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:11 am

Merged
Lieutenant lancehoch
 
Posts: 4158
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:13 pm
Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)
Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (4)

Re: Game Log 2.0 [To-Do]

Postby WOTE on Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:18 am

The Neon Peon wrote:I would really love to see this, and it would solve many of the obstacles that are in the game log: make the game log click-able so that when you click on an action in it, the map will show what it looked like at the point in the game.

This would help both players in the game to better understand what happened (seeing as you can click on the previous action for the before and after kind of thing) and help players viewing the game to look at how it progressed if they only start looking at the end.

Just like Chess Games...
1. e4 e6
2. d4 d5
3. Nc3 dxe4
4. Nxe4 Nf6
5. Bg5 Be7
6. Bxf6 Bxf6
7. Nf3 O-O
8. Qd2 Nc6
9. O-O-O Be7
10. Bd3 f5
11. Nfg5 fxe4
12. Bxe4 Bxg5
13. f4 Bxf4
User avatar
Cook WOTE
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:44 am
Medals: 13
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)

Re: Game Log 2.0 [To-Do]

Postby ztodd on Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:33 pm

Example log entry for unsuccessful/stopped attack: Kamchatka attacks Alaska: 6G -> 4R Result: 3G -> 2R.
Example log entry for successful attack (takeover): Kamchatka attacks Alaska: 6G -> 4R Result: 1G -> 3G.

G and R are the color codes for green and red.

That's what I'd want to see. Anyone agree?

I think the server should keep track of all changes from beginning of attack phase to end of attack phase and spit out just the final results in the format above. Something similar can be put in the xml file. Too complicated a programming change? Send me the code or give me access - I'll do it. :)

This has been in the works for at least a year, right? What's the hold up? Are you all waiting on the players to agree on something?

Just provide the XML and leave it to the greasemonkeys to make the game replayer.
User avatar
Sergeant ztodd
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:38 pm
Location: Arizona, USA
Medals: 5
Standard Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: Game Log 2.0 [To-Do]

Postby blakebowling on Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:39 pm

ztodd wrote:I think the server should keep track of all changes from beginning of attack phase to end of attack phase and spit out just the final results in the format above. Something similar can be put in the xml file. Too complicated a programming change? Send me the code or give me access - I'll do it. :)

This has been in the works for at least a year, right? What's the hold up? Are you all waiting on the players to agree on something?

Just provide the XML and leave it to the greasemonkeys to make the game replayer.

First, XML is how the territories and bonuses are coded, not the game engine.
Second, this is being worked on, they would rather do one large update (with all new Game Log features) rather than many small updates.
Third, I like the idea of a game replayer, I think that this would require two sets of logs though, simple logs that are loaded regularly, and extended logs that are loaded by the replayer.
12:39:59 AM rdsrds2120: sorry, I had a lot of lasagna tonight
12:40:06 AM rdsrds2120: I'm pretty out of it. CRAAZZYYY NIGHT
12:31:04 * Metsfanmax quit (kicked from Social by Metsfanmax - reason: haha gotcha now)
12:59:32 * #1_stunna gropes blakebowling
Cadet blakebowling
Operations Manager
Operations Manager
 
Posts: 4997
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:09 pm
Location: 127.0.0.1
Medals: 41
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3)
Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (3)
Tournament Contribution (3) General Contribution (10)

Re: Game Log 2.0 [To-Do]

Postby cspare on Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:34 pm

I was thinking about something like this: (based on Chipv's example)
Code: Select all
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<gamelog>
<gameinfo>
   <label></label>
   <status>Active</status>
   <joinability>Tournament Game: The Long Walk - Round Twelve</joinability>
   <type>Standard</type>
   <order>Sequential</order>
   <bonus>Flat Rate</bonus>
   <fortifications>Unlimited</fortifications>
   <fog>No</fog>
   <maptype>Africa</maptype>
   <timeleft>12hrs 16min 20sec</timeleft>
   <round>3</round>
   <players>
      <player id="78109" team="1" status="eliminated">cSpare1</player>
      <player id="78110" team="1" status="playing">cSpare2</player>
      <player id="78111" team="2" status="waiting">chipv1</player>
      <player id="78112" team="2" status="eliminated">chipv2</player>
   </players>
</gameinfo>
<log>
   (...)
   <round number="2" date="2008-10-17 17:12:11">
      (...)
      <turn player="78109" date="2008-10-21 11:44:02">
         <DeployEvent date="2008-10-21 11:45:14" territory="Irkutsk" troops="3"/>
         <AssaultEvent targetplayer="78112" date="2008-10-21 11:45:15" from="Siberia" to="Yakutsk" attackers="3" defenders="3" win="2" loss="3" advance="0"/>
         <AssaultEvent targetplayer="78112" date="2008-10-21 11:45:54" from="Irkutsk" to="Yakutsk" attackers="23" defenders="1" win="1" loss="1" advance="21"/>
         <EliminateEvent targetplayer="78112" date="2008-10-21 11:45:54" spoilsAmount="2"/>
         <FortifyEvent date="2008-10-21 11:46:02" from="Yakutsk" to="Kamchatka" troops="3"/>
         <SpoilsEvent date="2008-10-21 11:46:02" amount="1"/>         
      </turn>
   </round>
   <round number="3" date="2008-10-21 11:46:02">
      <turn player="78111" date="2008-10-21 11:46:02">
         <CashGroupEvent troops="10">
            <Group color="Green">Algeria</Group>
            <Group color="Red">East Australia</Group>
            <Group color="Blue">Norwegian Claim</Group>      
         </CashGroupEvent>
         <BonusEvent troops="2" territory="Algeria"/>      
      </turn>
   </round>
</log>
</gamelog>


What do you guys think?
Last edited by cspare on Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sergeant 1st Class cspare
 
Posts: 101
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:56 pm
Medals: 8
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) General Contribution (6)

Re: Game Log 2.0 [To-Do]

Postby yeti_c on Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:49 pm

blakebowling wrote:
ztodd wrote:Just provide the XML and leave it to the greasemonkeys to make the game replayer.

First, XML is how the territories and bonuses are coded, not the game engine.


Actually in this instance - Lack said that he would be willing to provide the log in XML - so that script writers can parse the log easier.

cspare wrote:I was thinking about something like this: (based on Chipv's example)
Code: Select all
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<gamelog>
<gameinfo>
   <label></label>
   <status>Active</status>
   <joinability>Tournament Game: The Long Walk - Round Twelve</joinability>
   <type>Standard</type>
   <order>Sequential</order>
   <bonus>Flat Rate</bonus>
   <fortifications>Unlimited</fortifications>
   <fog>No</fog>
   <maptype>Africa</maptype>
   <timeleft>12hrs 16min 20sec</timeleft>
   <round>3</round>
   <players>
      <player id="78109" team="1" status="eliminated">cSpare1</player>
      <player id="78110" team="1" status="playing">cSpare2</player>
      <player id="78111" team="2" status="waiting">chipv1</player>
      <player id="78112" team="2" status="eliminated">chipv2</player>
   </players>
</gameinfo>
<log>
(...)
   <round number="2" date="2008-10-17 17:12:11">
      <turn player="78109" date="2008-10-21 11:44:02">
         <DeployEvent date="2008-10-21 11:45:14" territory="Irkutsk" troops="3"/>
         <AssaultEvent targetplayer="78112" date="2008-10-21 11:45:15" from="Siberia" to="Yakutsk" attackers="3" defenders="3" win="2" loss="3" advance="0"/>
         <AssaultEvent targetplayer="78112" date="2008-10-21 11:45:54" from="Irkutsk" to="Yakutsk" attackers="23" defenders="1" win="1" loss="1" advance="21"/>
         <EliminateEvent targetplayer="78112" date="2008-10-21 11:45:54" spoilsAmount="2"/>
         <FortifyEvent date="2008-10-21 11:46:02" from="Yakutsk" to="Kamchatka" troops="3"/>
         <SpoilsEvent date="2008-10-21 11:46:02" amount="1"/>         
      </turn>
   </round>
   <round number="3" date="2008-10-21 11:46:02">
      <turn player="78111" date="2008-10-21 11:46:02">
         <CashGroupEvent troops="10">
            <Group color="Green">Algeria</Group>
            <Group color="Red">East Australia</Group>
            <Group color="Blue">Norwegian Claim</Group>      
         </CashGroupEvent>
         <BonusEvent troops="2" territory="Algeria"/>      
      </turn>
   </round>
</log>
</gamelog>


What do you guys think?


I like it - Could even extend to have a chat log in the system?

Code: Select all
<chatlog>
  <round number="1">
    <chat datetime="200810212200">Good luck everyone</chat>
  </round>
</chatlog>


C.
Image
Highest score : 2297
User avatar
Lieutenant yeti_c
 
Posts: 9670
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:02 am
Medals: 46
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (13) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (10)

Re: Game Log 2.0 [To-Do]

Postby cspare on Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:59 pm

yeti_c wrote:I like it - Could even extend to have a chat log in the system?
Code: Select all
<chatlog>
  <round number="1">
    <chat datetime="200810212200">Good luck everyone</chat>
  </round>
</chatlog>


C.


That's a good idea, would be nice to include aswell yea.
Though I myself wouldn't really need the data for ConqerStats, so I'd prefer the chatlog to be in a seperate XML file. Now that I think of it I think the GameInfo element should be in a separate file also, as that information can be used for a much more purposes.
Sergeant 1st Class cspare
 
Posts: 101
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:56 pm
Medals: 8
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) General Contribution (6)

Re: Game Log 2.0 [To-Do]

Postby yeti_c on Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:01 am

cspare wrote:That's a good idea, would be nice to include aswell yea.
Though I myself wouldn't really need the data for ConqerStats, so I'd prefer the chatlog to be in a seperate XML file. Now that I think of it I think the GameInfo element should be in a separate file also, as that information can be used for a much more purposes.


Yeah - that could work... 3 separate XML files that would be easily callable/parsable.

(I don't need the chat either - but it'd be good to upgrade everything at the same time!)

Although with times stamps that are easily parsable - I could use that info for useful stuff.

C.
Image
Highest score : 2297
User avatar
Lieutenant yeti_c
 
Posts: 9670
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:02 am
Medals: 46
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (13) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (10)

Re: Game Log 2.0 [To-Do]

Postby cspare on Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:08 pm

cspare wrote:
Code: Select all
   <round number="2" date="2008-10-17 17:12:11">
      (...)
      <turn player="78109" date="2008-10-21 11:44:02">
         <DeployEvent date="2008-10-21 11:45:14" territory="Irkutsk" troops="3"/>
      </turn>
   </round>


Hmm, I was thinking a bit more, I figure the <turn> element won't work for freestyle games. (Because multiple turns can occur at the same time). I guess something like a TurnStartEvent and TurnEndEvent element would be needed to replace the turn element, also a playerid would be a required attribute for all *event elements.
Sergeant 1st Class cspare
 
Posts: 101
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:56 pm
Medals: 8
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) General Contribution (6)

Re: Game Log 2.0 [To-Do]

Postby yeti_c on Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:30 pm

Dang Freestyle - always ruins it - but good solution for sure.

C.
Image
Highest score : 2297
User avatar
Lieutenant yeti_c
 
Posts: 9670
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:02 am
Medals: 46
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (13) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (10)

Re: Game Log 2.0 [To-Do]

Postby Jagganath on Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:35 pm

Are any beta versions of these xml files accessible at this time?
User avatar
Corporal Jagganath
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:43 pm
Medals: 1
Standard Achievement (1)

Re: Game Log 2.0 [To-Do]

Postby cspare on Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:00 pm

Jagganath wrote:Are any beta versions of these xml files accessible at this time?

I don't think so, but it would sure be a good idea to provide some beta versions. I'd also like to see some kind of schedule on when this feature is expected to be implemented.
Sergeant 1st Class cspare
 
Posts: 101
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:56 pm
Medals: 8
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) General Contribution (6)

Re: Game Log 2.0 [To-Do]

Postby iambligh on Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:00 pm

I'd like to see BOB featured incorporated into the log. Also, the log should keep statistics such as total troops lost, total attacks, total times attacked...
Sergeant 1st Class iambligh
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:15 pm
Medals: 22
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (2)
Clan Achievement (1)

Re:

Postby Joodoo on Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:18 am

jk wrote:i don't mean to cry about this or anything but it will ruin a lot of tactics and should be optional just like cards, to check if the new game log has a positive or negative effect


definitely
TheSaxlad wrote:The Dice suck a lot of the time.

And if they dont suck then they blow.

:D
User avatar
Lieutenant Joodoo
 
Posts: 1639
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:19 am
Location: Greater Toronto, Canada
Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (1)

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Login