[GL] Game Log 2.0

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderators: Suggestions Team, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Re: Deleting old logs, viewing replays and such

Postby ender516 on Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:01 am

Sorry if some of this has already been sorted out: I posted before I realised that I had only read the first page of posts. It's very late....
Rik Meleet wrote:
lackattack wrote:Game Log 2.0
* logs will be deleted on old games to make room for all these dice rolls
I really really like the idea of replays. a remark on the quoted part: if you can, have it available for downloading before deleting.
Personally: In a replay I'm not that interested in dice-rolls; just who owns what land.

Programming feasibility question: Would a downloaded game be replayable, or would one have to upload it again? I mean, is it conceivable that the replay utility could run offline, or would that require putting too much of the game engine on the client side of things?

Storage suggestion: Perhaps it should be possible to prevent the deletion of a completed game: "save your faves". One for freemium, more for premium members? Preserving games on the site for tutorial purposes could help groups like The Society of the Cooks. The ability to add extra comments (post-game analysis) could be quite useful, too. Integration with the forum would be terrific!

Dice rolls: I agree, cube-by-cube replay might make replays more entertaining to watch, but it is not essential in my mind. Knowing where attacks were attempted and which succeeded or failed is what's important. Anything that affects positions and troop strength should be recorded. (Do games that automatically revert certain territories to neutral record this in the game log now? I have not yet played such a map.)

Game option: Since users may base strategies on the lack of information in the game log as it is now, the extended game log should be selectable when starting a game, like fog of war.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516
Tech Contributor
Tech Contributor

Medals: 37
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (9)
Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (11)

Re: Game Log 2.0 [To-Do]

Postby sailorseal on Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:47 pm

iambligh wrote:I'd like to see BOB featured incorporated into the log. Also, the log should keep statistics such as total troops lost, total attacks, total times attacked...

Once BOB becomes a site feature this will happen, also was it necessary to necro bump this? What's with all the necro bumping recently?
Cook sailorseal

Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (7) General Contribution (3)

Re: Game Log 2.0 [To-Do]

Postby ender516 on Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:14 pm

sailorseal wrote:What's with all the necro bumping recently?

What do you consider necro bumping? If someone is exploring the forum, and finds a open topic to which they can contribute, should they hold their tongue just because a few weeks have gone by? There are over 60000 topics with 1.8 million posts in this forum. It might take a new user a while to find something of interest to them about which they have something worth saying.
Besides, aren't you the member who was suggesting a special PM after 50 games which would invite a member to check out the forum? What do you expect them to do, quietly admire the wisdom already posted?
In my mind, bumping occurs when a poster adds nothing of substance, especially when that poster was already the last poster. What I see here looks like dialogue.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516
Tech Contributor
Tech Contributor

Medals: 37
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (9)
Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (11)

Suggestion: Game Archives

Postby Dublanous1 on Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:17 pm

A cool feature would be looking at a finished game and being able to click through the turns and see the "archives" of the game, and I searched the topic and I don't think someone has suggested it before, but there is a good chance someone has. Let me know what you all think.
Corporal 1st Class Dublanous1

Medals: 4
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: Suggestion: Game Archives

Postby Thezzaruz on Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:00 am

You are right, it most likely has been suggested before. Though you might need to explain what you mean by "archives" before we can tell.

Also using the form is highly appreciated.
Lieutenant Thezzaruz

Medals: 8
Standard Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (2)

Postby Dublanous1 on Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:38 pm

archives by step-by-step how the game went.

Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby jpcloet on Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:33 pm

I believe there have been several "Replay" suggestions, even a visual one as well.
Captain jpcloet

Medals: 69
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (7) General Achievement (7) Clan Achievement (5) Tournament Contribution (8)
General Contribution (8)

game log

Postby H-man on Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:06 am

PLACE A CONCISE DESCRIPTION OF THE SUGGESTION OR BUG IN THE SUBJECT LINE!!!

Concise Discription:
  • When a player tries to assualt, but fails, there is nothing that says that in the game log

Specifics:
  • Maybe we could say something like: player x tried to assualt x from y but failed...

This will improve the following aspects of the site:
  • The specifiction of the game log
Cadet H-man

Re: game log

Postby 4myGod on Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:03 am

this is on the to do list already with some log 2.0
Sergeant 1st Class 4myGod

Medals: 3
Standard Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby soundman on Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:04 am

I think this would just clutter the log too much and there's no real need for it. Espesially in games where it's like 50 v. 40 and the 50 can't take the 40, that would be a long log of just X tried to assault Y and failed, X tried to assault Y and failed, X tried .....
Captain soundman

Medals: 46
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (8) Clan Achievement (9) Tournament Contribution (1)

Postby H-man on Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:39 am

ok, no I mean just once, 50 vs 40, failed, so it says: x tried to assualt y and failed
Cadet H-man

Postby slowreactor on Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:25 am

soundman wrote:I think this would just clutter the log too much and there's no real need for it. Espesially in games where it's like 50 v. 40 and the 50 can't take the 40, that would be a long log of just X tried to assault Y and failed, X tried to assault Y and failed, X tried .....

You're kidding, right? Do you know how many times I have accused someone of hitting my stack and them saying they only attacked a 1? Then who ACTUALLY hit my stack? I WANNA KNOW AND GET REVENGE ON THAT GUY!!!!!
Colonel slowreactor

Medals: 60
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (11) Training Achievement (3) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (2)

Postby H-man on Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:49 am

er..does that mean that you're in favour of the suggestion?
Cadet H-man

Postby slowreactor on Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:32 pm

H-man wrote:er..does that mean that you're in favour of the suggestion?

Very much so. I've been meaning to suggest this exact same thing, but I never got around to it.
Colonel slowreactor

Medals: 60
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (11) Training Achievement (3) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (2)

Postby Dublanous1 on Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:04 pm

Well they should make it happen whether or not someone suggested it before!

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions