[Login]Allow me to stay logged in

This forum is a storehouse for all Finalized Suggestions to be periodically reviewed during Feature Updates.

Moderators: Suggestions Team, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Suggestion: An option to allow people to stay logged-in

Postby mbarbier on Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:05 pm

I think it would be very helpful to allow people to stay logged-in using cookies. This would save a little bit of hassle for those of us who like to check on their games every couple hours. I don't see any significant drawback either; it's not as if this is an online banking site.
Corporal mbarbier

Re: Suggestion: An option to allow people to stay logged-in

Postby Forza AZ on Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:18 pm

mbarbier wrote:I think it would be very helpful to allow people to stay logged-in using cookies. This would save a little bit of hassle for those of us who like to check on their games every couple hours. I don't see any significant drawback either; it's not as if this is an online banking site.

Yes, that would be a good option. You just can add a check-box in which you can choose between staying logged in or not (when you play on a computer for 1 time or on a computer that more people use for CC).
Colonel Forza AZ

Medals: 80
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2)
Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (13) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (7)
Tournament Contribution (30) General Contribution (2)

Postby yorkiepeter on Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:26 pm

Forza AZ wrote:
mbarbier wrote:I think it would be very helpful to allow people to stay logged-in using cookies. This would save a little bit of hassle for those of us who like to check on their games every couple hours. I don't see any significant drawback either; it's not as if this is an online banking site.

Yes, that would be a good option. You just can add a check-box in which you can choose between staying logged in or not (when you play on a computer for 1 time or on a computer that more people use for CC).

Nope - Have to disagree - makes the 'members online' unreliable. Is my partner online or has he forgotten to log off? Announcing a new record of 1050 members on line - oh but hang on how many are really online?
Colonel yorkiepeter

Medals: 7
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Tournament Contribution (1)

Postby Fieryo on Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:30 pm

not knowing too much about server operations, would this effect the server load at all? I know that that is an issue as of late.
...where I'm from, we believe all sorts of things that aren't true. We call it -- "history"
Major Fieryo

Medals: 22
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2)

Postby stripethegremlin on Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:09 am

You can allow users to stay logged in and just track the time of their last activity. Online/offline status doesn't really say much besides they were active in the last 30 min, or however long it is before CC auto boots you.

Personally I find this very annoying. Also the fact that I can't be logged in on two computers at the same time. I often check CC from my iPhone, but when I do it boots me from my PC. Like the original poster said, this is not online banking. GMail lets me do this, and that's much more important, security wise, than CC.
Sergeant 1st Class stripethegremlin

Medals: 3
Standard Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby 4myGod on Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:46 pm

yorkiepeter wrote:
Forza AZ wrote:

Nope - Have to disagree - makes the 'members online' unreliable. Is my partner online or has he forgotten to log off? Announcing a new record of 1050 members on line - oh but hang on how many are really online?

The server can't check if a user is online or not. Instead what websites do is every time a user loads a page, clicks a link or refreshes they will have the page send a time to the db, the "last active" time. Then to find out if the user is online they will check if the "last active" time was in the past 15 minutes or something. Then they are assuming that if the user was refreshing/clicking a link in the past 15 minutes he is most likely online.

They may or may not have it so when you click logout it immediately deletes the "last active" record. I don't know though, and I doubt many of us click logout after our turn.
Sergeant 1st Class 4myGod

Standard Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby LoneStranger on Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:03 pm

Many sites track who is online and also allow people to have their login information remembered.

The way this is done is usually by setting a cookie in the browser with a unique token that is generated by the server when someone logs in. If they click the box to remember their password, this cookie remains for a certain amount of time, say two weeks. Otherwise, it disappears when they close their browser.

The next day, the user logs in. The site checks for the token and if it's still valid, assumes the user is legit and logs them in. If not, they get the login prompt.

The online status is easy. There is an entry in the database that stores the last request the user made to the website. If that value is larger than a certain value, say 20 minutes, then that person is considered to have logged off, even if they still have the token stored in their browser cookies. One way to not confuse other people as to their status is to create a second status that triggers after a shorter time period, let's call it "Idle" and say it takes affect after 5 minutes.

I see no reason why that can't be implemented here at CC since it's a common feature.
Corporal 1st Class LoneStranger

Medals: 13
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)

[Login]Allow me to stay logged in

Postby nryan115 on Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:08 pm

Every other website in the world has a "remember me" check box. I am the only person who has access to this, a password protected, computer. The fact that I have to log in to the site every 15 minutes is just ridiculous when I am on my personal computer. Logging into the site 20 times per day is horrible and frankly it makes me never want to come here.

I cannot fathom why this is not already an option.
Corporal nryan115

Re: Allow me to stay logged in

Postby TheForgivenOne on Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:37 pm

nryan115 wrote:Every other website in the world has a "remember me" check box. I am the only person who has access to this, a password protected, computer. The fact that I have to log in to the site every 15 minutes is just ridiculous when I am on my personal computer. Logging into the site 20 times per day is horrible and frankly it makes me never want to come here.

I cannot fathom why this is not already an option.

This doesn't happen to me. I've stayed logged on the site for hours at a time. Plus I have my password saved onto the site already, so It wouldn't bother me anyways.
Sergeant 1st Class TheForgivenOne

Medals: 82
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (14) Clan Achievement (6)
General Contribution (11)

Postby tkr4lf on Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:02 pm

I think it's only if you're inactive for 15 minutes then it logs you out. It's happened to me before. It's not really that much of an annoyance though. And I'm like you TFO, my password is saved on here so all I have to do is hit "t" the down button, enter, tab, enter and i'm logged in.
Major tkr4lf

Medals: 63
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (4)
General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (11) Tournament Contribution (14)

Postby Hannibał on Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:48 pm

Deleted my similar thread after noticing you beat me by 20minutes while I was typing correct form! :D

Specifics:
  • The idea is for an extended log in, everytime I exit the window CC is in and go do something for a short period of time and I come back to check on my games, or maybe wander the forums I have to relog in..While its not a huge hastle I admit, I believe it would be a positive change to create a check box for a longer login, similar to ebay does with the "Keep me logged in for 7 days" or whatever

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • Will be easier for members to log in swiftly and check their games, or check a current topic they're involved in on the forums without having to log back in everytime they return to their PC/Phone.

Possible problems
  • I understand this may mess with the "Online" ribbon indicator on the profile pages, but if that really matters it would be fairly simple to cause it to read "AFK" or "Idle" after a set time of inactivity, maybe an hour, So that noone is waiting for a speedy response to a PM or Wall comment?

I agree with you 100%, its not a huge bother but it would be a nice addition. I can save my PW everywhere else, but some reason this forum dosent allow me too. It will remmeber my username, after typing the majority out but I still must type entire password.

I know I sound like a lazy bastard, but it really is a nice option..
Sergeant Hannibał

Medals: 19
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Contribution (3)

Postby nryan115 on Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:05 pm

Its not about my internet browser remembering my password or not. (by the way it is NOT saved on the site it is your browser doing that). The issue is that I have Conquer Club open it its own tab 100% of the time. I then work in other internet tabs - or other windows programs and then about 30 minutes later I want to check the status of my games - oh wait after 15 minutes I got timed out.

I am constantly "busy" for 30 minutes and I swear I log into this site like 25 times daily. I don't want to enter the first letter of my username and hit down arrow and then hit enter. I want to not touch my keyboard at all and just click "my games" without it showing me the "you need to login first" page. If the site wants to force me to login manually once a day or something reasonable then that is fine but our sessions should not expire after 15 minutes if we opt in to a longer session.

The "remember me" check box is such an unbelievably common thing today that there it is odd to not have one here. Some sites stay logged in forever, sites like google log you in for up to 2 weeks before it kicks you off.
Corporal nryan115

Postby sniffie on Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:46 am

nryan115 wrote:Its not about my internet browser remembering my password or not. (by the way it is NOT saved on the site it is your browser doing that). The issue is that I have Conquer Club open it its own tab 100% of the time. I then work in other internet tabs - or other windows programs and then about 30 minutes later I want to check the status of my games - oh wait after 15 minutes I got timed out.

I am constantly "busy" for 30 minutes and I swear I log into this site like 25 times daily. I don't want to enter the first letter of my username and hit down arrow and then hit enter. I want to not touch my keyboard at all and just click "my games" without it showing me the "you need to login first" page. If the site wants to force me to login manually once a day or something reasonable then that is fine but our sessions should not expire after 15 minutes if we opt in to a longer session.

The "remember me" check box is such an unbelievably common thing today that there it is odd to not have one here. Some sites stay logged in forever, sites like google log you in for up to 2 weeks before it kicks you off.

After 15 "inactive" minutes you log out. If you wish to stay online click "my games" every 14 minutes and you should be kept logged in, if not. Maybe its a bug.
It is very unlikely that this option is put through. Because a lot of players would be online 24/7 and not playing. Can you imagine the paperwork?
Sergeant 1st Class sniffie
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Medals: 61
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Battle Royale Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (7) General Contribution (4)

Postby nryan115 on Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:30 am

Im not sure why every thinks I'm an idiot. I know its 15 minutes of inactivity - I do not know what you do throughout your day but I cannot click something on this website every 14 minutes. I get busy. I am saying that yes I am inactive for 15 minutes but I want the site's cookie to remember my session like every other website in the world today works.

Its not a bug, its just a poor decision. There is no reason whatsoever that people could not all be online at the same time. What paperwork are you referring to?

Second, they would not be online the entire time their session would still be marked as offline after 15 minutes but if they refresh their cookie reloads their website. I am the webmaster for a couple of discussion forums and they all have a "remember me" check box. The users do not appear online 24/7 but they also do not have to type their username and password in more than once a day (if remember me is checked).

Aside from my websites, I am also a member of many forums, and many registered user only websites that all impliment this same functionality. One site in particular has a "remember me forever" option and I have not typed in my password - nor have I seen the login page at all for over 8 months since the one time I cleared all my cookies, and then before that not for another 8 months- yet this is copy and pasted from the site: "Total time logged in: 2 days, 7 hours and 43 minutes." I get logged out after only a couple of minutes of inactivity. But as soon as I refresh the website it looks at my cookie and reloads my session. I will never have to log in to that site until I log out, clear my cookies, or get a new computer.

Perhaps a forever cookie is too drastic and that fine, maybe 2 weeks is too much, but there is no reason at all why I should have to log in more than 1 time per day unless I choose to. I'm not sure why I have to explain this EVERY WEBSITE other than this one works this way.
Corporal nryan115

Postby nryan115 on Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:34 am

Since people seem to think I'm crazy here are links:

Yahoo.com:
https://login.yahoo.com/config/login?.s ... hoo.com%2F

Google.com:
https://www.google.com/accounts/Service ... oogle.com/

Facebook:
Facebook.com

The list would be nearly infinite these are just the 3 most popular sites I figured would be familiar with people.
Corporal nryan115

Next

Return to Submitted Suggestions