Conquer Club

[UI] Semi-Auto Assault

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Postby kcoenich on Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:53 pm

I agree, its a good idea.
nacho_kcoenich
Ich bin ein Gladiator of Sport!!
Cadet kcoenich

Postby CreepyUncleAndy on Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:11 pm

OPTION:

How about "Auto-Attack until surviving AttackingArmies < DefendingArmies?"

....If you auto attack at a numerical disadvantage, the computer will ask you WTF R U DUIN?!!!?!?! and then ask for confirmation y/n to continue auto-attacking at a numerical disadvantage.
Private CreepyUncleAndy

Postby D.IsleRealBrown on Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:24 pm

Yes, that was going to be my next point, most people stop attacking after they have less armies than the "defender".
ImageImageImage
Lieutenant D.IsleRealBrown

Postby Molacole on Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:20 pm

doesn't that take away the risk factor of the auto attack button?

It would be nice if you could set it up to stop attacking after x amount of troops die though. An option for both the attacking number and defending number. That would be nice for maps like 2.0 where the numbers get high fast so it could really speed things up.
Lieutenant Molacole

New Attack Option: pare down armies

Postby Contrickster on Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:57 pm

Context

X has 100 armies on Britain. Y has 50 armies on Iceland. Z has 75 armies on Greenland.

Xs go.

X doesn't want to auto fight Y because if he wins he thinks he will be sufficiently weakened that he'll be conquered on the next go by Z. He decides to get a card elsewhere.

Ideally, X would like to pare down the armies on Iceland because Iceland is in the way of the real battle between X and Z (neither whom really want to attack Y first).

So X rolls dice again and again and again and again attacking Iceland until he's down to 75 armies on Britain and then stops. X managed to reduce Iceland from 50 to 30 armies.

X finishes his go.

Idea

I'd like an auto-pare down attack option whereby we can choose how many armies to attack with beforehand to mitigate risk of army loss/save time & bandwidth on rolls. If I have 100 armies I specify I want to attack with 25. If I have 10 armies I say I want to attack with 7. Etc.

Rather big change that I suspect would be too radical for universal feature but may be an idea for new a game option.
Corporal 1st Class Contrickster

Postby adam3b58 on Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:56 pm

i like it, it's an auto-attack with more control.

i vote yes
Cadet adam3b58

Postby SS sem0me on Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:01 pm

Why not
Sergeant SS sem0me

Postby pachon on Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:26 pm

good idea
Cadet pachon

Postby lVlaniac on Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:36 pm

yes preety good
I Could Eat A Bowl Of Alphabet Soup And Crap Out A Better Conversation Than Yours.

Private 1st Class lVlaniac

Postby AK_iceman on Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:39 pm

I dont think we need more auto-attack options as it would just clutter the game screen, but I would like this better as a replacement for the current auto-attack.
Sergeant 1st Class AK_iceman

Postby wolvenlightning on Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:44 pm

agreed with iceman

Hell, just put 'with __ armies' next to the entire current attack bar. So what if you normal attack with 5 armies? You still only get 3 dice.
Cadet wolvenlightning

Postby Contrickster on Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:51 am

I agree too. We don't need another button but more control over our existing autoattacks. Maybe it's not so radical an idea as I thought.

Postby cdman on Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:29 pm

its a very good idea!
Lieutenant cdman

Postby RobinJ on Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:04 pm

I know exactly what you mean. I've often not wanted to go down to the last man but because I can't be bothered waiting, I hit aut-attack anyway - good idea. :wink:
Sergeant 1st Class RobinJ

Postby boberz on Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:06 pm

how about simplify it even more and say auto attack leaving .... number of armies so then you decide exactly how many armies you have left afterwards maximising control, or is that what you are saying. I like it whatever.
Corporal 1st Class boberz

Postby Contrickster on Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:28 pm

boberz wrote:how about simplify it even more and say auto attack leaving .... number of armies so then you decide exactly how many armies you have left afterwards maximising control, or is that what you are saying. I like it whatever.

Now you mention it, there is a difficulty specifying down to the last army because 3 vs 2 you can lose 2 armies a shake.

When you specify to attack with ______ armies the rolls should cease the number above the number you inputted, unless the opposition is down to 1.

Tricky to code? Don't know.

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:40 pm

The idea of this sort of Auto-Attack has been around for a while. Lack did mention something about it a while ago, but it was rather indifferent. Most likely, this feature won't be seen any time soon, he's going to develop a few more pressing updates and enhancements first if he decides to implement this.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Contrickster on Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:57 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:The idea of this sort of Auto-Attack has been around for a while. Lack did mention something about it a while ago, but it was rather indifferent. Most likely, this feature won't be seen any time soon, he's going to develop a few more pressing updates and enhancements first if he decides to implement this.

--Andy

That's cool. Thanks for the update.

Postby Aimless on Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:44 pm

Rogi wrote:Then go with the normal attack.
Auto Attack is for the territory's you NEED to take out FAST. Or for big army clashes. I'm greateful it stops on 3.

For games with large numbers of armies, attacking normally is impractical. However, there are cases in large army clashes where you only want to weaken your opponents stack, not kill it. Or, when you're attacking 50 v 30 and don't want to run the risk that a bad luck streak will wipe out your stack and leave you undefended against your opponent.

That said, a drop down box is impractical - games with extremely large numbers of armies make for unwieldy drop down boxes. Why not have a simple text box, allowing you to input the (maximum) number of attacks you want auto-attack to perform. It should only take about two lines to code - add one more element to the attack form, and one extra check in the auto-attack loop.
Private Aimless

Postby Nikolai on Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:37 pm

I like this idea. I'm in a no cards game on World 2.1 approaching triple digit rounds, and we've got some big army stacks that make attacking normally impractical. But I've wished several times that it was possible to weaken particular stacks. This would do it.
Sergeant 1st Class Nikolai

[GP/UI] Semi-Auto Assault

Postby joeyjordison on Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:43 pm

Huegelkoenig wrote:Suggestion: Advanced Auto-Assault

At the moment, the Auto-Assault-Button is implemented like this:
  • Attack as long as you have more than 3 troops and the enemy has more than 0 troops.
    or
  • Attack until you have less than 4 troops OR the enemy has less than 1 troops.

My suggestions would be, to add two textboxes next to the Auto-Assault-Button, where players can enter the amount of troops, for the Auto-assault to stop, manually.

How this will benefit the site:

You often find yourself in a situation like this:
Large stacks vs large stacks.

If cyan wants to attack Maghreb, cyan has two options:
1. Choose Spain or Greece and click Auto-Assault.
2. Choose Spain or Greece and click Assault manually.

The downside of these two options are simple:
Option 1.: Cyan has to advance the remaining troops to Maghreb and his second stack of 400+ troops is left behind the border.
I know, cyan can reinforce them, but maybe cyan already needs to reinforce troops somewhere else.
Option 2.: It takes time and a lot of clicking. And i know, there are games with stacks way larger than the 400...

If you would be able to choose "Auto-Assault Spain->Maghreb until Maghreb has less than (e.g.) 5 troops", you could go on by attacking the remainaing 3 or 4 troops from Greece and have a large stack at your new border.

Another possibility would be, if cyan (in the situation above) doesnt want to conquer Maghreb, but just weaken red there.
He could choose e.g.
"Attack Spain->Maghreb until Maghreb has less than 200 troops or Spain has less than 300 troops"
and
"Attack Greece->Maghreb until Maghreb has less than 10 troops or Greece has less than 300 troops".
Cyan would end up in a situation (except he gets very very bad or very very good dice) where he has ~300 at Spain and Greece and red has ~50 troops at Maghreb.

-----------------

To prevent users from making wrong inputs, you could also consider using dropdown-menus instead of textboxes

• It should be possible to disable this feature (to reduce interface clutter) from the Control Panel.
show
Last edited by JamesKer1 on Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:09 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: [GP/UI] Tag
Major joeyjordison

Postby hecter on Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:27 pm

This has been suggested before, but not quite like this. I still think it's a good idea though.
In heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine... You got your things, and I've got mine.
Private 1st Class hecter

Postby Forza AZ on Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:37 am

Maybe you can make a 3rd option, which makes 10 attacks at 1 time (in stead of having to fill in a number yourself). This might be somewhat easier to implement. So you just get 3 buttons: attack, attack 10 times, auto attack.

So with 70 vs 50, you can press the 10 attack button, and then see how it turned out before you go on (or not).
Colonel Forza AZ

Postby Soloman on Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:50 pm

I concur a dropdown menu say how amny attack or how many troops you would like to risk on the auto attack would definitely be ideal I would vote for it call it controlable auto attack I better check the to do list 1st lol
You Have 2 choices,You can either Agree With Me or Be Wrong!!! http://www.myspace.com/solomanthewise http://360.yahoo.com/bolar35
Sergeant Soloman

Postby joeyjordison on Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:19 pm

http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15753

^^^^ i suggested this 4 days ago only it got virtually no interest. glad someone else has brought it up. i'm all for it but it could be hard to implement. maybe forza's idea in my thread would be a compromise?
Major joeyjordison

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions