Conquer Club

[GC] Choose Which Position (Color) to Join in a Game

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Postby m@ on Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:17 pm

zip_disk wrote:It would confuse people though. Many people communicate with each other just by color, and if people don't know then everyone will think you're talking to someone else and it'd be a mess.

Fair point. I reckon lackattack's suggestion is the best way to go. But point taken fighter1405 - in the big scheme of things it doesn't matter two blue roo poos what colour you are really...
Cadet m@

Postby s.xkitten on Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:39 am

umm, if you guys don't do pop up, why, if you click on a URL thing that is listed in a post, does it pop up to show you that? isn't that technically a pop up?
Sergeant s.xkitten

Postby Skittlesandmnms on Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:20 am

hawkeye wrote:hard to implemenyt in my opinion and wouldnt people fight over colors?

maybe if it was a first come first serve? although if there were more colors it might be less of a problem.
Vita sine honore vivere not est.
Corporal 1st Class Skittlesandmnms

Postby reverend_kyle on Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:50 am

Instead of a join game link... 6 different color boxes or however many colors are left.. and you click the one you want and it joins the game with you as that color
DANCING MUSTARD FOR POOP IN '08!
Sergeant reverend_kyle

choosing colors

Postby longboreder on Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:14 pm

I agree with kyle. on the game creation page the game creator could have a choice of 6 colors or any (random) for themselves.

Then when the next person joins, instead of where "Join Game" is located, it could say "# players" (3-6), and the on the right, where the 'empty' spaces currently are, have 5 links with "join green", "join blue", etc, which can be clicked on until the game is full.

example:

i create a 3 player game, and choose blue for my color

next person who wants to join sees longboreder and the 5 remaining color spaces. say they like red, they click "join red"

when last person joining clicks one of the remaining 4 colors, game starts with the 3 colors chosen.

It would be helpful for those of us who are playing lots of games to be the same color most of the time :D
Major longboreder

Postby CaptainMoo on Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:45 pm

hi, im only new and loving this game so much but yeah the colour option is a good point, reason being when your playing loads of games always using the same colour would make it so much easier to look at dif games and recognise your own units faster

it would be a coding issue to resolve so each user can choose how they see there OWN units and assign your opponents the rest randomly, but as i said im just new so i dunno how hard core the programmers are but if they could default so each player choose there own colour to play with i.e. id always choose red then the program could apply the other colours to the other players meaning in effect everyone could be using red if they wanted

does that make any sense? this is how it works in a lot of games but real hard to program :)
Sergeant CaptainMoo

Postby spiesr on Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:55 pm

CaptainMoo wrote:hi, im only new and loving this game so much but yeah the colour option is a good point, reason being when your playing loads of games always using the same colour would make it so much easier to look at dif games and recognise your own units faster

it would be a coding issue to resolve so each user can choose how they see there OWN units and assign your opponents the rest randomly, but as i said im just new so i dunno how hard core the programmers are but if they could default so each player choose there own colour to play with i.e. id always choose red then the program could apply the other colours to the other players meaning in effect everyone could be using red if they wanted

does that make any sense? this is how it works in a lot of games but real hard to program :)

Not really a good idea to have diifernt people see differn't colors for the same people because people often use colors insted of names in the game chat.
Captain spiesr

Postby reverend_kyle on Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:27 am

final solution.. click on a color to join game.
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Re: choosing colors

Postby reverend_kyle on Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:28 am

longboreder wrote:I agree with kyle. on the game creation page the game creator could have a choice of 6 colors or any (random) for themselves.

Then when the next person joins, instead of where "Join Game" is located, it could say "# players" (3-6), and the on the right, where the 'empty' spaces currently are, have 5 links with "join green", "join blue", etc, which can be clicked on until the game is full.

example:

i create a 3 player game, and choose blue for my color

next person who wants to join sees longboreder and the 5 remaining color spaces. say they like red, they click "join red"

when last person joining clicks one of the remaining 4 colors, game starts with the 3 colors chosen.

It would be helpful for those of us who are playing lots of games to be the same color most of the time :D

this is also a good situation.
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby nyheerhh on Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:13 pm

"Not really a good idea to have diifernt people see differn't colors for the same people because people often use colors insted of names in the game chat."
This seems to be the issue. If it is technically possible for me to say that I will always be seen on my screen as, say, blue, but the only issue is that people can't be arsed referring to me by my online name instead of a colour then I think the people who should be thinking about changing are the lazy ones, not the ones who want to make life easy.
Lieutenant nyheerhh

Postby kclborat on Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:12 am

qeee1 wrote:I'm fucking qeee1

I don't think masturbation is a good subject here on this thread.
Most points: 1606
Private 1st Class kclborat

Postby Dr. Jim on Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:57 am

Solution:
Allow a player to select the color he wishes to view himself as. All other players are randomly assigned colors. On his screen he will be whichever color he has chosen. On the other persons screen their color will be the one seen and all others appear random.

Problem: Those who don't read the rules or realize this will make demands of others based on their color (eg: Hey blue get out of Siam).
Solution: Refer to people by their name.
Private 1st Class Dr. Jim

Postby Stoney229 on Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:49 am

maybe each user could have a favorite player color as a part of their profile, and they are that color by default and are only asked to choose a color if they have not set a favorite colo or if their favorite color is already taken.
Lieutenant Stoney229

Postby SockMonkeh on Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:45 pm

I think the preferred color option would be an awesome implementation.
Private 1st Class SockMonkeh

Postby HEMO on Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:36 pm

I didn't read all of the reasons for this but mine is as legit as possible. Matter of fact it falls under necessary changes for people with disabilities.

I'm color blind. And let me just stay some colors in this game look alike. I have asked my fiance what all of the colors are so that i could better explain this. Red and green are very similiar. Blue stands out great (my favorite). Yellow is the next easiest for me. The gray and pink are dead alike. I can squint and eventually agree which is which between red and green. However, if i'm gray or pink, i have to go by country names alone.

My only wish is to be able to be blue or yellow when i create a match. I bought a premium account so i could host matches with my friends and enjoy this game as much as i pleased. But everytime i host a match. I'm red.

So, fixing this would really benefit all persons suffering from colorblindness.

Thanks you for your time and reading my request.

HEMO
Private 1st Class HEMO

Postby HEMO on Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:50 pm

i found the colorblind add on from general discussion.

the letters help a lot.

:)

This place is awesome.
Private 1st Class HEMO

player colors

Postby aphockey23 on Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:34 am

any chance we can switch the player colors up?
if 6 player doubles pink and girly blue are teammates and i dont think its fair
Sergeant aphockey23

Postby Hatchman on Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:22 am

Try to always get onto Team One. This way you can bash those ... "guys".

:roll:
Major Hatchman

Postby moz976 on Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:40 am

Not really the best reason for this but there is Choose Army Color at Start on the to do list.
"The suitcoats say, 'There is money to be made.'
They get so excited, nothing gets in their way
My road it may be lonely just because it's not paved.
It's good for drifting, drifting away."
-Vedder
Private moz976

Postby Kahless on Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:45 am

pink and cyan are 5th and 6th so they don't get used as much
Cook Kahless

Postby Cynthia on Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:32 pm

hey - I love those colors :D
Corporal 1st Class Cynthia

Postby dugcarr1 on Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:34 pm

like i suggested 4 months ago,,,, we pick our own colors every game,,, or always see our selfs as 1 color if we want
Captain dugcarr1

Personal Army Colors

Postby Reed Jones on Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:08 am

Suggestion Idea: Why to add more charecter to every person why not for an amry color in a game and the color of your name in a game, why not have it so you choose that color. Like your favorite color or your lucky color. If 2 people in the same game have the same color random.org flips a coin between the 2. The person that wins gets that color and the other person get a random color.

Specific: This would include the color Purple Blue Yellow Orange Red Black Green Pink Brown ect, ect.

Why it is needed: It is not really needed but it would give more charcter to the person and you will create lucky colors and favorite colors.

Priorty: .5
Sergeant 1st Class Reed Jones

Postby Anarchist on Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:27 pm

I wouldnt mind choosing and having more options.

Ive always wondered if the dominant colors have a higher success rate then the lighter shades? Seems that way...

I prefer Red or Black.(too bad we cant add culture through troops and castles)

What about other color combinations? Gold or Rainbow patterns :shock:
-Kind of like flags-

(not important but i like custom jobs)
Anarchy-The Negation Of All Oppressive Structures
http://www.marxist.com
http://www.attackthesystem.com/anarchism2.html
(You have 110 armies left to deploy)
"Si pacem vis, para bellum" - if you want peace, prepare for war.
Sergeant 1st Class Anarchist

Postby Coleman on Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:52 pm

lackattack wrote:I'm okay in principle with letting you choose a colour on joining, but how to do that without a popup (as Andy said we don't do popups)?

My main motivation is actually to discouraging people from starting games just to be red, so maybe if I just made the starting colour pink, there would be less games on the join page!

How about randomized colours?

Here is an idea, under the settings tab you select 6 colors in order of preference from a list like this (not exactly this):
If you join first (or host, you can join first and not be the host in tournament games) you get your priority 1 color, if the next player joins and their priority 1 color is the same as the first player's they get their priority 2 instead and so on. If that makes any sense.

I realize there are some coding challenges with this. And I'd welcome random colors, but that might upset yellow4life.
Last edited by Coleman on Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions