Conquer Club

[GC] Choose Which Position (Color) to Join in a Game

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Postby treefiddy on Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:07 pm

Coleman wrote:I realize there are some coding challenges with this. And I'd welcome random colors, but that might upset yellow4life.

I was actually going to bring up yellow4life. I thought it was pretty awesome that every game on his list, he's yellow. I didn't think anyone would be that dedicated, but he certainly is. :D

As for your color pallet, I think that's too broad a range. I think there needs to be a choice between 1-10 colors. Otherwise we may get too many dark toned colors that people will use to try and hide their armies in dark territories.
Sergeant 1st Class treefiddy

Postby Minister Masket on Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:32 am

One does wonder why black hasn't been considered to use.
Victrix Fortuna Sapientia

Private Minister Masket

Postby firth4eva on Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:36 am

Minister Masket wrote:One does wonder why black hasn't been considered to use.

because it would be considered racist
you know what its like today
Captain firth4eva

Postby Kaplowitz on Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:00 pm

someone would do black vs white or something
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Re: Choose Army Color At Start *To-Do*

Postby jonesthecurl on Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:04 am

Iagree that choosing your colour would be nice, but not if it's a huge effort to implement. I usually join a game third and play blue. It confuses me when I play another colour, especially when I was pink and blue was played by PinkSpider...
Lieutenant jonesthecurl

Re:

Postby yeti_c on Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:12 am

Minister Masket wrote:One does wonder why black hasn't been considered to use.

Because Black begins with B...

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby lancehoch on Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:19 am

Necrobump. But on topic, yeti, I have mentioned this in the thread about adding 9 and 10 player games; you do not need to have letters that match the colors, you could have red=A, green=B, blue=c, yellow=D,... This is just a code to help people recognize what armies belong to what player, not necessarily what actual color we all see the armies as. (While it may be nice to do, it does not actually matter.)
Sergeant lancehoch

Postby yeti_c on Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:39 am

lancehoch wrote:Necrobump. But on topic, yeti, I have mentioned this in the thread about adding 9 and 10 player games; you do not need to have letters that match the colors, you could have red=A, green=B, blue=c, yellow=D,... This is just a code to help people recognize what armies belong to what player, not necessarily what actual color we all see the armies as. (While it may be nice to do, it does not actually matter.)

You make a valid point about A B C D E etc...

Although people tend to prefer numeric numbering systems over alpha number systems - obviously however that won't work with the current method - as it will just look like a mahoosive army!

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby tubaman on Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:40 pm

jonesthecurl wrote:Iagree that choosing your colour would be nice, but not if it's a huge effort to implement. I usually join a game third and play blue. It confuses me when I play another colour, especially when I was pink and blue was played by PinkSpider...

I agree with Jones, choosing your color would be nice, but I don't want there to be a lot of time put into implementing it, I'd rather Lack work on other stuff. And I think choosing your colors would be more confusing because, for example, red wouldn't necessarily correspond with the first person, contrary to how it's always been.

And would the color choosing replace the current method or would you have the option of creating games with either?
Colonel tubaman

Postby cicero on Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:21 pm

yeti_c wrote:
lancehoch wrote:... I have mentioned this in the thread about adding 9 and 10 player games; you do not need to have letters that match the colors, you could have red=A, green=B, blue=c, yellow=D,... This is just a code to help people recognize what armies belong to what player, not necessarily what actual color we all see the armies as. (While it may be nice to do, it does not actually matter.)

You make a valid point about A B C D E etc...

Off topic as we possibly are, I have to post to disagree regarding colour codes!

I am, as it happens, colourblind ... I see "Hey green, why are you attacking me? Red is the threat!" in the game chat.
Can you explain, without the use of the words/concepts 'green' and 'red' how I'm going to know which players he is talking about?
Right now I know he is talking about player 'g' and player 'r' ...
That's ok you say I could learn that A="red", B="green" etc ...
But then what happens when someone says "teal" when they mean "cyan"? Do I have to learn a whole list of possible synonyms for the colour names?

Sorry it looks a bit ranty with all those question marks, but hopefully you'll see my (important) point :)
FREE M-E-Mbership and simple rules. Conquer Club - it's not complicated.

random me statistic @ 13 December 2008 - 1336 posts : 232nd most public posts (not counting Tower of Babble) of all time.
Sergeant cicero

Location: with the infected neutrals ... handing out maps to help them find their way to CC

Postby FabledIntegral on Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:42 am

Since when do guys honestly give a crap if they have pink - if anything that's the opposite of manly, that's being homophobic/immature about something basic...
Major FabledIntegral

Postby Androidz on Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:26 am

i like the idea but i think it will be easyer to choose 3 prefered colours in order on Controll Panel. So if you got Red on highest priorty and is one of the first to join the games you will be automaticly red.

That means no need for pop up, faster to join more likely you get your best prefered colour. And since no one knows what colour he got before the game started it will be kinda a bit random so the players wont quit just cause they didint get thier colour.
Private Androidz

Postby tubaman on Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:41 pm

Androidz wrote:i like the idea but i think it will be easyer to choose 3 prefered colours in order on Controll Panel. So if you got Red on highest priorty and is one of the first to join the games you will be automaticly red.

That means no need for pop up, faster to join more likely you get your best prefered colour. And since no one knows what colour he got before the game started it will be kinda a bit random so the players wont quit just cause they didint get thier colour.

I still don't think we should implement this...but if we have to this is the way to do it. Very simple, very sufficient.
Colonel tubaman

Postby Androidz on Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:50 pm

tubaman wrote:
Androidz wrote:i like the idea but i think it will be easyer to choose 3 prefered colours in order on Controll Panel. So if you got Red on highest priorty and is one of the first to join the games you will be automaticly red.

I still don't think we should implement this...but if we have to this is the way to do it. Very simple, very sufficient.

Well it is on the To Do list and i like the idea, and yeah i agrea this is the way:D
Private Androidz

Postby blakebowling on Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:04 am

or it could be customizeable based on what you see (like how the nicknames in chat are all a diff color)
Private blakebowling

Postby croco on Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:38 pm

I am red/green colorblind and the colors in this game are VERY hard to see. I need to rely on the color codes, which is a great (and simple) addition. However, it's still VERY hard to get the big picture on most of the maps I've played. I cannot view the entire map and get a feeling for where I am and where others are. Instead, I need to look at each territory individually and remember it's color code as I continue on this process. I’m sure it’s nearly impossible for a non-colorblind person to reproduce this problem.

IMHO, the best implementation would be to let us choose our favorite color in the Game Settings tab. This would be our color for all games, and it would make multi-map play much easier as well. Ideally, the Game Settings tab would also have color selections for the additional players, say 8 more or so. Basically, a custom color scheme. Basically, we could all be blue on our own screens for example. Obviously chat such as "get out of USA blue" would be worthless but that's what we names for.

I'd rate this change as very useful for colorblind people (about 7% to 10% of men) and probably quite nice for non-colorblind people as well.
Major croco

Postby MOBAJOBG on Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:26 pm

My favorite color is green, therefore I usually join games currently but this uber feature would let me have the opportunity to create games with go-green since I'm an environmentalist at heart.
Major MOBAJOBG

Postby cicero on Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:32 pm

croco wrote:I am red/green colorblind and the colors in this game are VERY hard to see. I need to rely on the color codes, which is a great (and simple) addition. However, it's still VERY hard to get the big picture on most of the maps I've played. I cannot view the entire map and get a feeling for where I am and where others are. Instead, I need to look at each territory individually and remember it's color code as I continue on this process. I’m sure it’s nearly impossible for a non-colorblind person to reproduce this problem.

IMHO, the best implementation would be to let us choose our favorite color in the Game Settings tab. This would be our color for all games, and it would make multi-map play much easier as well. Ideally, the Game Settings tab would also have color selections for the additional players, say 8 more or so. Basically, a custom color scheme. Basically, we could all be blue on our own screens for example. Obviously chat such as "get out of USA blue" would be worthless but that's what we names for.

I'd rate this change as very useful for colorblind people (about 7% to 10% of men) and probably quite nice for non-colorblind people as well.

Spot on!
This is the ultimate solution to the colour choice issue.
As a fellow colourblinder this is perfect and into the bargain it forces players to address each other by name which is a great positive step!
Sergeant cicero

Location: with the infected neutrals ... handing out maps to help them find their way to CC

Allow players to join any slot in games awaiting players

Postby InkL0sed on Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:05 pm

Concise description:
  • Allow players to join any free slot in games awaiting players

Specifics:
  • Under join a game, you simply click on the slot you want to join under, and you take that slot, instead of the next free one like we have now

This will improve the following aspects of the site:
  • This will allow players to choose their team before the other has been filled
  • Players can effectively select their color in non-team games
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Re: Allow players to join any slot in games awaiting players

Postby blakebowling on Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:27 pm

This is already being discussed (and is on the To Do list)
lance will find the thread for you.
Private blakebowling

Re: Allow players to join any slot in games awaiting players

Postby lancehoch on Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:59 am

Here is the thread. Link

Blake, if you knew it was "To-Do", why couldn't you grab it yourself?
Sergeant lancehoch

Postby croco on Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:11 pm

I do like the idea of addressing people by name. However, now that I have more experience in CC I see that being a bit of an issue. People are still going to use color names and it would be hard to sort this out in the software.

Perhaps a better, and very easy, solution would be to simply change the colors so that they are more colorblind friendly. Get rid of red and start with g,b,y,p. That simple change would allow most colorbinds to play up to 4 person games without issue. After those 4, make it as colorblind friendly as possible but even just moving red from 1 to 8 in your color profile would help a ton. Could use white and black as colors as well.
Major croco

Postby yeti_c on Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:21 am

croco wrote:I do like the idea of addressing people by name. However, now that I have more experience in CC I see that being a bit of an issue. People are still going to use color names and it would be hard to sort this out in the software.

Perhaps a better, and very easy, solution would be to simply change the colors so that they are more colorblind friendly. Get rid of red and start with g,b,y,p. That simple change would allow most colorbinds to play up to 4 person games without issue. After those 4, make it as colorblind friendly as possible but even just moving red from 1 to 8 in your color profile would help a ton. Could use white and black as colors as well.

White is currently used for Neutrals.

Black armies were denied as they aren't visible on a lot of maps.

The problem is - we use 9 different colours for the army counts as it is - and they are as far apart as they can possibly be on the spectrums.

i.e. the colours are a tweaked version of
White FFFFFF (I didn't colour this one)
Red FF0000
Green 00FF00
Blue 0000FF
Yellow FFFF00
Pink FF00FF
Cyan 00FFFF
Black 000000 (We use a tweaked black to a grey)

Then one had to be chosen in the middle of the ranges - and an orange seemed to be the best fit...
Orange FF8800

As you can see - the first 8 colours are as far apart as they can possibly be (based on hex values).

I know this doesn't help you being Colourblind though... but if we removed Red - we'd then have to have another "mid range" colour - and the majority of people here would find it harder to distinguish who is who.

The other mid range colours could be...

FF0088
00FF88
0088FF
8800FF

As you can see (although I appreciate you may not be able to) - these colours are too similar to the other colours... hence the choice of Orange.

(I know there have been complaints from some that Grey and Green are too close too each other too)

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby Ritter8point0 on Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:20 am

Yeah, sometimes I have to turn color codes on to tell green from grey. I was in a game recently where we were just talking about "it would be cool if you could pick your color". I'd like to see it. I'd pick Pink.
Corporal 1st Class Ritter8point0

Postby Scott-Land on Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:42 am

Uggh- using color to identify players is a way of showing their noobness or disdain. You're only supposed to use their name if they've graduated to a 'personal' level. ;)
Major Scott-Land

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions