[GF] Notification of Ignore On Entering Game

This forum is a storehouse for all Finalized Suggestions to be periodically reviewed during Feature Updates.

Moderators: Suggestions Team, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Which would be the best option for this?

Have the game be unjoinable/not be able to see it.
16%
Have a page load that tells you are joining a game with a foe, and if you wish to continue.
56%
Have it so a symbol is placed beside a Foe.
29%

Total votes : 45

Re:

Postby tims_girl_ashley on Wed May 26, 2010 1:05 pm

stocksr wrote:How about just putting the IGNORED in BIG BLACK LETTERS next the the persons name in the list.

i like this idea
Private tims_girl_ashley

Medals: 5
Standard Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (2)

Re: Notification of Ignore On Entering Game *Pending*

Postby ender516 on Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:45 am

Woodruff wrote:
TheForgivenOne wrote:Well, details still need to be worked out. Lack has said he doesn't like pop-ups on his site. So what about hiding the game? Well what happens when you get invited to a game with a foe on your list? Will it be hidden? and won't that cause confusion? More details need to be banged out.

A pop-up isn't necessary...it's just the easiest way to handle it. If he doesn't want a popup, then he can code it to go to a page that states the same thing (something along the lines of "You are attempting to enter a game with <insert name>, who is on your foe list. Do you want to still enter the game?". I think that would be a bit more coding on his part, but that's his call...it's still extremely simple to do.

Yes, it could be an intermediate page like the one that whines at you about creating a game with the same settings as one which is already waiting for players.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Medals: 37
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (9)
Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (11)

Postby owenshooter on Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:39 pm

if your foe list is so large that you can't recognize people on it when joining games, maybe the problem lies with you and not the site... just a thought... go in peace my children...-the black jesus
DoomYoshi, "GD has no traffic because of venereal diseases like you."
Captain owenshooter

Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (2)

Postby Woodruff on Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:10 am

owenshooter wrote:if your foe list is so large that you can't recognize people on it when joining games, maybe the problem lies with you and not the site... just a thought... go in peace my children...-the black jesus

A poor, ignorant thought, yes.

But it appears that despite the tremendous amount of support this has had, despite there being absolutely no down-side to it at all, and despite having been on the To Do list for ALMOST FOUR YEARS, it's going to die. How pathetic.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Standard Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Contribution (4)

Postby TheForgivenOne on Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:33 am

I like the idea, i do. But we need to come down with a definite suggestion. And since i sticky'd this 2 months ago, only a handful of people have commented
Sergeant 1st Class TheForgivenOne

Medals: 83
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (14) Clan Achievement (7)
General Contribution (11)

Postby ender516 on Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:46 am

I dare say the lack of comment might come from the ennui created by the fact this topic celebrates its 4th anniversary tomorrow.

The "lackattack doesn't like popups" argument doesn't hold much water. I get a popup when I receive a new PM, and I'm fine with that. Of course, that popup is not preventing me from doing anything else in the site.

If having a popup is still a problem, why not have an intermediate page like the one we hit when we start a game with settings that match an existing unfilled game? If I have to insist on starting a new game (even if the games offered have no unreserved spots, but that's another topic), why not make me insist on joining a game with someone I have foed? That could be applied even to tournament games. If you really don't like someone, you should be able to pass on joining the game and drop out of the tournament. Some reserve may be pleased as punch to take your spot.

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (9)

Postby Darwins_Bane on Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:30 am

but what about auto-join game links. would they be affected and how? I'm bringing it up mostly for tournaments where there is a password. I'm wondering if you bring up an intermediate page will it cause problems?
high score : 2294
02:59:29 ‹Khan22› wouldn't you love to have like 5 or 6 girls all giving you attention?
10/11/2010 02:59:39 ‹TheForgivenOne› No.
Corporal Darwins_Bane

Medals: 33
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)
General Contribution (4)

Postby TheForgivenOne on Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:50 pm

Darwins_Bane wrote:but what about auto-join game links. would they be affected and how? I'm bringing it up mostly for tournaments where there is a password. I'm wondering if you bring up an intermediate page will it cause problems?

I do think it is kinda going to the extreme, just dropping a tournament because of a foe. And what happens if it is in the finals? I'm sure tons of people would drop out because they don't want to face that 1 guy. Game Invites, or having someone give you a Password to a Private game on the other hand, may come up.

Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (14) Clan Achievement (7)

Postby Woodruff on Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:00 am

TheForgivenOne wrote:I like the idea, i do. But we need to come down with a definite suggestion.

There have been several "definite suggestions" here made as separate threads...which have of course all been merged into THIS thread.

TheForgivenOne wrote:And since i sticky'd this 2 months ago, only a handful of people have commented

The fact that it's been PENDING for more than three years probably has a lot to do with that.

Ok, here once again is my "definite suggestion":

Concise description:
Reverse of Foe List Suggestion

Specifics:
Ok, I've done a search of the suggestions forum and found SEVERAL entries that
are essentially identical to what I am suggesting here and there has been resounding
applause for each one from the masses and no good reason ever given for the
implementation not to take place. And yet, the implementation has never taken
place (all merged into this thread).

So, here is my suggestion...if I am about to unintentionally join a FOE'd member's
game, the site should use one of three methods for informing me of that
1) I will either not be allowed to join it de facto OR
2) I will get a warning message telling me what I'm about to do (asking me if I want to) OR
3) On the GAME FINDER page that shows the games, have some sort of a flag/indicator so
that I recognize the individual is one of my foes

Any of these three are fine, really. Personally, I prefer #2, as it seems the most
flexible and user-friendly. #3 probably involves the most coding.

This will improve the following aspects of the site:
Given that the standard response to...well, to pretty much everything on this
bloody site is "just FOE them", many of us have accumulated a pretty large
FOE list...far to large to frankly remember the contents of. I find myself
unintentionally joining games of members I've FOE'd for abusive language
only to find myself subjected to that crap yet again because I didn't recall
them being in my FOE list. This essentially makes the "just FOE them"
suggestion next to useless and certainly causes a lack of enjoyment of
the site.

Now...is this finally going to be implemented or will it simply be ignored
once again because it's more important for the folks in charge to create
nuclear spoils silliness for the site?
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.

Standard Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)

Postby TheForgivenOne on Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:34 am

I personally like #2, just like when in the Start a Game function when you try and start a game, and it offers you a game of the same settings. I'll put up a poll for the 3 options.

Postby perchorin on Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:20 am

Definitely number two, and this really should have happened years ago.
Silvanus wrote:perch is a North Korean agent to infiltrate south Korean girls
Major perchorin

Medals: 121
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (4)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (28) General Achievement (9)
Clan Achievement (11) Challenge Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (12) General Contribution (1)

Postby MichelSableheart on Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:14 am

Good suggestion, should be implemented.

Option 2, please
Colonel MichelSableheart

Medals: 21
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (3) Tournament Contribution (1)

Postby Empress Wu on Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:09 am

Yes, let's get this implemented. :idea: I had been thinking of making this suggestion myself, but then I discovered that the suggestion had already been made.
Captain Empress Wu

Medals: 4
Standard Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby Woodruff on Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:50 pm

Out of curiousity...what is the "method" for actually implementing ideas now?

It used to be the to-do list (upon which this suggestion sat for more than three years).
Then it was the web designer dude (who has now apparently departed).

Postby ender516 on Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:16 am

Woodruff wrote:Out of curiousity...what is the "method" for actually implementing ideas now?

It used to be the to-do list (upon which this suggestion sat for more than three years).

The current scheme is outlined in the announcement How Suggestions Work right here in the Suggestions Forum. Suggestions get bandied about, debated, and finally selected for submission, so when the time comes for an update, the powers that be can focus on those suggestions that have been hammered into shape. It's a bit like the Map Foundry, I guess.

Postby Woodruff on Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:25 am

ender516 wrote:
Woodruff wrote:Out of curiousity...what is the "method" for actually implementing ideas now?

The current scheme is outlined in the announcement How Suggestions Work right here in the Suggestions Forum. Suggestions get bandied about, debated, and finally selected for submission, so when the time comes for an update, the powers that be can focus on those suggestions that have been hammered into shape. It's a bit like the Map Foundry, I guess.

Thanks, Ender...hadn't seen that. That being said, I'm seeing an accepted suggestion of "Replace Dice With Happy Bunnies", which isn't making me feel particularly good about the methodology.

Postby ender516 on Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:31 am

Woodruff wrote:
ender516 wrote:

Thanks, Ender...hadn't seen that. That being said, I'm seeing an accepted suggestion of "Replace Dice With Happy Bunnies", which isn't making me feel particularly good about the methodology.

Oh, dear, I guess JoshyBoy was feeling a bit whimsical the day he submitted it.

Postby TheForgivenOne on Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:57 am

Woodruff wrote:
ender516 wrote:

Yeah, that was all Joshy, probably meant it more as a joke than anything.

So back on subject, is it all set and clear, that how this will work, is it will take you to a page, like the one when you start a game with the same settings, saying you are about to join a game with a foe?

Postby ender516 on Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:02 pm

The poll results seems overwhelmingly in favour of that option (of course, it is a small turnout), and no recent comment seems to have mentioned anything else. Make it so.

Postby TheForgivenOne on Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:19 pm

Alright, i am moving this to Submitted

Postby Woodruff on Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:08 pm

TheForgivenOne wrote:
Woodruff wrote:
ender516 wrote:

And yet, it IS in the to-be-implemented area, if I understand things correctly...it's not in the rejected area. So, joke or not...it doesn't give me a good feeling about the method, as I said.

TheForgivenOne wrote:So back on subject, is it all set and clear, that how this will work, is it will take you to a page, like the one when you start a game with the same settings, saying you are about to join a game with a foe?

Yes, though I think it should specifically say who that foe is, to help you in determining if you want to join or not. Make sense?

Postby TheForgivenOne on Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:10 pm

Woodruff wrote:
TheForgivenOne wrote:
Woodruff wrote:
ender516 wrote:

So back on subject, is it all set and clear, that how this will work, is it will take you to a page, like the one when you start a game with the same settings, saying you are about to join a game with a foe?

Yes, though I think it should specifically say who that foe is, to help you in determining if you want to join or not. Make sense?

Actually, if you read the first post :) You will see that I put that in there.

Not able to join a foe's game

Postby Ninja Champion on Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:52 pm

Concise description:
This has been suggested in the past, if possible, can we not be able to join a game against someone we've foed? If not, at least a confirmation/warning before joining the game, "You have player x foed, do you still want to join the game?"

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
I foe for many reasons, suiciders, cheap tactics, poor language, etc, etc. I don't keep track of these players over time and don't want to accidentally join one of their games.

Thanks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeA8taFIA6I&ob=av1e <-- The awesome roots of my account name

Brigadier Ninja Champion

Medals: 110
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Bot Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (19)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (22) Tournament Contribution (2)

Re: Not able to join a foe's game

Postby Metsfanmax on Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:11 pm

Already submitted.

viewtopic.php?f=535&t=73328
Lieutenant Metsfanmax

Medals: 43
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (7) Clan Achievement (2)
General Contribution (7)

Re: Not able to join a foe's game

Postby Ninja Champion on Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:18 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:Already submitted.

viewtopic.php?f=535&t=73328

ah, thanks.. guess I'm just rallying for it then :P
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeA8taFIA6I&ob=av1e <-- The awesome roots of my account name

Brigadier Ninja Champion

Medals: 110
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Bot Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (19)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (22) Tournament Contribution (2)

PreviousNext

Return to Submitted Suggestions