Points system

Ask questions, answer questions

Moderators: Global Moderators, Discussions Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Points system

Postby ksslemp on Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:08 pm

Can someone please explain to me why CC has a points system that punishes high ranked player. I can't figure out the reasoning behind awarding different point values for different rankings.
User avatar
Major ksslemp
 
Posts: 482
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:30 pm
Location: Slemp, KY 41763 Pop. 'nough
Medals: 17
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)

Re: Points system

Postby Darwins_Bane on Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:15 pm

if you could play a noob and get/lose 20 points or play a good player and same thing, y would you not just play the noob?
high score : 2294
02:59:29 ‹Khan22› wouldn't you love to have like 5 or 6 girls all giving you attention?
10/11/2010 02:59:39 ‹TheForgivenOne› No.
Corporal Darwins_Bane
 
Posts: 990
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:09 pm
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Medals: 33
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)
General Contribution (4)

Re: Points system

Postby SgtMadDog on Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:22 pm

Just because someone is new doesn't mean they aren't an intelligent player. With this points system it actually discourages players from welcoming all players regardless of rank to join an open game. Now all the high ranking players just play private games and tourneys with similarly ranked players. Now why should i play lower ranked players when i have to win at an 80% clip just to break even.
Lieutenant SgtMadDog
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:38 am
Medals: 4
Standard Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: Points system

Postby SgtMadDog on Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:24 pm

i.e, I agree they need to fix it!

But they won't, the Admin's are a bunch of socialists who believe in redistribution of wealth.
Lieutenant SgtMadDog
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:38 am
Medals: 4
Standard Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: Points system

Postby ksslemp on Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:31 pm

Well, I think they should change the formula at the least.

Just beat a newb and was awarded "3 POINTS"!!! weeeeee
Then lost to one and lost 54. Where is the fairness in that????
User avatar
Major ksslemp
 
Posts: 482
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:30 pm
Location: Slemp, KY 41763 Pop. 'nough
Medals: 17
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)

Re: Points system

Postby SirSebstar on Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:49 pm

ksslemp wrote:Well, I think they should change the formula at the least.

Just beat a newb and was awarded "3 POINTS"!!! weeeeee
Then lost to one and lost 54. Where is the fairness in that????


i suggest you visit the suggestions forum and make a post there.
otherwise. a low ranker half your points should be beatable by you twice at much as he can beat you... Maybe you should better pick on someone your own size..
User avatar
Major SirSebstar
 
Posts: 7329
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:51 am
Location: SirSebstar is BACK. Highscore: Colonel Score: 2919 21/03/2011
Medals: 95
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (23) General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (9) Training Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (4)
General Contribution (11)

Re: Points system

Postby ksslemp on Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:53 pm

i DON'T PICK MY OPPONENTS! I OPEN A GAME FOR ALL AND GET KICKED BECAUSE OF IT.

"a low ranker half your points should be beatable by you twice at much as he can beat you" REALLY?
Is this simple minded thinking the basis for the screwed up points system????

Now i understand how it came to be.
User avatar
Major ksslemp
 
Posts: 482
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:30 pm
Location: Slemp, KY 41763 Pop. 'nough
Medals: 17
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)

Re: Points system

Postby SirSebstar on Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:08 pm

SgtMadDog wrote:Just because someone is new doesn't mean they aren't an intelligent player. With this points system it actually discourages players from welcoming all players regardless of rank to join an open game. Now all the high ranking players just play private games and tourneys with similarly ranked players. Now why should i play lower ranked players when i have to win at an 80% clip just to break even.


in fact highranking tournaments are not allowed, so in tournaments with highrankers a noob is free to join.. you can set a skylimit to prevent high rankers, but not the other way. So if you really want to beat highrankers, join a tournament.

@SgtMadDog are you for real? i mean you are the lowranker to me buddy. Also the elo system is widely accepted, e.g. with chess. if you know a better system, please feel free to use a suggestion form.

@
User avatar
Major SirSebstar
 
Posts: 7329
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:51 am
Location: SirSebstar is BACK. Highscore: Colonel Score: 2919 21/03/2011
Medals: 95
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (23) General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (9) Training Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (4)
General Contribution (11)

Re: Points system

Postby ksslemp on Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:23 pm

If they want to use this warped points system then they should FORCE higher ranks to play a certain number of newbies percentage wise. otherwise it just creates rank classes.

P.S. the ELO system was created for skill games. CC hardly meets the criteria, This ain't chess!
User avatar
Major ksslemp
 
Posts: 482
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:30 pm
Location: Slemp, KY 41763 Pop. 'nough
Medals: 17
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)

Re: Points system

Postby SirSebstar on Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:24 pm

in a real chess game you would also not be forced to confront a rookie by a master.. neither is it here, but cc masters often do play rookies because thy are availiable and they like the game.
also, cc is using chance, but there is a lot of skill involved.. otherwise nobody would rise at all or it would be extremely unlikely for players to maintain a (high) rank.
User avatar
Major SirSebstar
 
Posts: 7329
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:51 am
Location: SirSebstar is BACK. Highscore: Colonel Score: 2919 21/03/2011
Medals: 95
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (23) General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (9) Training Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (4)
General Contribution (11)

Re: Points system

Postby Rodion on Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:34 pm

Excuse me, SirSebstar, but can you tell me if the option to play non-ranked games was ever suggested? If so, can you tell me what was the ruling on it (or preferably, find me the link?)

Thank you!
User avatar
Brigadier Rodion
 
Posts: 1329
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:33 pm
Location: São Paulo, Brazil
Medals: 80
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (27) General Achievement (8) Clan Achievement (13) Tournament Contribution (3)
General Contribution (1)

Re: Points system

Postby jrh_cardinal on Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:18 pm

Rodion wrote:Excuse me, SirSebstar, but can you tell me if the option to play non-ranked games was ever suggested? If so, can you tell me what was the ruling on it (or preferably, find me the link?)

Thank you!

pretty sure it's been suggested

my guess is it was rejected because people could abuse it. You could have a couple people in the game who just want to get some good practice in, then one idiot joins and suicides on everyone for no reason at all. It would just cause more work for the mods because every time someone played poorly in a no points game the other player(s) would file a C&A report for intentionally suiciding
Image
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class jrh_cardinal
 
Posts: 2715
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 7:15 pm
Medals: 74
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (7)
General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (30) General Contribution (2)

Re: Points system

Postby the.killing.44 on Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:42 pm

jrh_cardinal wrote:my guess is it was rejected because people could abuse it. You could have a couple people in the game who just want to get some good practice in, then one idiot joins and suicides on everyone for no reason at all.

And how exactly is that abuse?
User avatar
Major the.killing.44
 
Posts: 4737
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:43 pm
Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes
Medals: 47
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (3) General Achievement (3)
Clan Achievement (3) Map Contribution (2) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (4)

Re: Points system

Postby Rodion on Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:38 pm

jrh_cardinal wrote:
Rodion wrote:Excuse me, SirSebstar, but can you tell me if the option to play non-ranked games was ever suggested? If so, can you tell me what was the ruling on it (or preferably, find me the link?)

Thank you!

pretty sure it's been suggested

my guess is it was rejected because people could abuse it. You could have a couple people in the game who just want to get some good practice in, then one idiot joins and suicides on everyone for no reason at all. It would just cause more work for the mods because every time someone played poorly in a no points game the other player(s) would file a C&A report for intentionally suiciding



I don't think that would happen often enough for this idea to be rejected.
User avatar
Brigadier Rodion
 
Posts: 1329
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:33 pm
Location: São Paulo, Brazil
Medals: 80
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (27) General Achievement (8) Clan Achievement (13) Tournament Contribution (3)
General Contribution (1)

Re: Points system

Postby ljex on Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:53 pm

Rodion wrote:
jrh_cardinal wrote:
Rodion wrote:Excuse me, SirSebstar, but can you tell me if the option to play non-ranked games was ever suggested? If so, can you tell me what was the ruling on it (or preferably, find me the link?)

Thank you!

pretty sure it's been suggested

my guess is it was rejected because people could abuse it. You could have a couple people in the game who just want to get some good practice in, then one idiot joins and suicides on everyone for no reason at all. It would just cause more work for the mods because every time someone played poorly in a no points game the other player(s) would file a C&A report for intentionally suiciding



I don't think that would happen often enough for this idea to be rejected.


It has been suggested and rejected many times based on the idea that you have to invest a few points in learning new maps/settings to gain points in the future.
User avatar
Captain ljex
 
Posts: 2943
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:12 am
Medals: 115
Conqueror Achievement (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4)
Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (22) General Achievement (5)
Clan Achievement (12) Tournament Contribution (18) General Contribution (3)

Next

Return to Questions & Answers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Login