Posting screen captures in game chat

Ask questions, answer questions

Moderators: Global Moderators, Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Posting screen captures in game chat

Postby GeeksAreMyPeeps on Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:32 pm

Is it against the rules to post a link to a screen capture of the game being played in the game chat? Basically I pointed out a strategy that an opponent was using (without calling out specifically who it was) about 10 rounds back, and the person who was using that tactic is all indignant that he would never do that. I've got the proof that he did. It's not a Fog game (even if it wasn't expressly forbidden, that would be out of bounds of fair play, IMO), so the information in the screen caps would have been available to all players at the time, if they had been paying attention.
Major GeeksAreMyPeeps
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:42 pm
Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)

Re: Posting screen captures in game chat

Postby SirSebstar on Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:34 pm

no, this expressly allowed. gamechat may be used to disclose information. You can also lie about info you are posting. both are allowed.
also see the help page.
20. Is it against the rules to reveal in game chat an opponent's position or strength in a Fog of War game?

Information or misinformation in game chat is acceptable, however, as with any tactic or strategy, you may be rated by your opponents as they see fit.


GeeksAreMyPeeps wrote:Is it against the rules to post a link to a screen capture of the game being played in the game chat? Basically I pointed out a strategy that an opponent was using (without calling out specifically who it was) about 10 rounds back, and the person who was using that tactic is all indignant that he would never do that. I've got the proof that he did. It's not a Fog game (even if it wasn't expressly forbidden, that would be out of bounds of fair play, IMO), so the information in the screen caps would have been available to all players at the time, if they had been paying attention.
User avatar
Major SirSebstar
 
Posts: 7329
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:51 am
Location: SirSebstar is BACK. Highscore: Colonel Score: 2919 21/03/2011
Medals: 95
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (23) General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (9) Training Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (4)
General Contribution (11)

Re: Posting screen captures in game chat

Postby GeeksAreMyPeeps on Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:58 pm

SirSebstar wrote:no, this expressly allowed. gamechat may be used to disclose information. You can also lie about info you are posting. both are allowed.
also see the help page.
20. Is it against the rules to reveal in game chat an opponent's position or strength in a Fog of War game?

Information or misinformation in game chat is acceptable, however, as with any tactic or strategy, you may be rated by your opponents as they see fit.


GeeksAreMyPeeps wrote:Is it against the rules to post a link to a screen capture of the game being played in the game chat? Basically I pointed out a strategy that an opponent was using (without calling out specifically who it was) about 10 rounds back, and the person who was using that tactic is all indignant that he would never do that. I've got the proof that he did. It's not a Fog game (even if it wasn't expressly forbidden, that would be out of bounds of fair play, IMO), so the information in the screen caps would have been available to all players at the time, if they had been paying attention.

Okay, thanks for the response. I didn't see any reason why it wouldn't be, but wanted to make sure, as I like playing on the site and have no desire to be banned. It's obvious from the rules that typing out information and/or misinformation is allowed, but posting an actual image of what you're seeing seemed like it might be crossing a line (in Fog games, anyway).
Major GeeksAreMyPeeps
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:42 pm
Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)

Re: Posting screen captures in game chat

Postby SirSebstar on Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:35 pm

i am not entirly sure you can actually post a screenshot in gamechat that is viewable by all. I do agree, it is close to crossing the line. information should have a (posibility for an) element of a misleading nature to fit within this game
User avatar
Major SirSebstar
 
Posts: 7329
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:51 am
Location: SirSebstar is BACK. Highscore: Colonel Score: 2919 21/03/2011
Medals: 95
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (23) General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (9) Training Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (4)
General Contribution (11)

Re: Posting screen captures in game chat

Postby GeeksAreMyPeeps on Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:45 pm

SirSebstar wrote:i am not entirly sure you can actually post a screenshot in gamechat that is viewable by all. I do agree, it is close to crossing the line. information should have a (posibility for an) element of a misleading nature to fit within this game

True, but a link to an image can be posted. And as stated, it's not a Fog game. I would consider that out of bounds. Since it's not a Fog game anyone would have been able to see the information in the screen shot at that point in the game (and the only thing which a player would not still be able to see is troop count). And it's not really information that helps or hinders someone, IMO.
Major GeeksAreMyPeeps
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:42 pm
Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)

Re: Posting screen captures in game chat

Postby SirSebstar on Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:34 am

true, you could likely do as just stated. You would even be allowed to manipulate the screenshot to state different troop then from reality. Hence screenshots do not always prove much.
But in gamechat thats the general idea. I would have no problem (within the rules) with what you are proposing. please note, that player MAY leave an unfavorable rating over this, and thats perfectly allowed too.
User avatar
Major SirSebstar
 
Posts: 7329
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:51 am
Location: SirSebstar is BACK. Highscore: Colonel Score: 2919 21/03/2011
Medals: 95
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (23) General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (9) Training Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (4)
General Contribution (11)


Return to Questions & Answers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

cron
Login