Odds of getting a spoil set with 4 cards?

Information on tactics, scenarios, and all that you'll need to be successful in-game!

Moderators: Global Moderators, Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Odds of getting a spoil set with 4 cards?

Postby Kaskavel on Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:06 am

Note that if you already have 3 cards and you do not have a set, chances that you get it on next spoil are 2/3.
General Kaskavel

Medals: 52
Conqueror Achievement (1) Monthly Leader Gold (1) Monthly Leader Silver (1) Monthly Leader Bronze (2) Most Improved Silver (1)
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (7)

Postby zimmah on Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:28 am

betiko wrote:
macbone wrote:Yep, 7/9 is correct.

Here's some analysis:

If you know that the other person has neither joker, the odds he has a set with 3 cards are 33.41%; the odds he has a set if he has 4 cards are 77.80%.

33,41?? why is that? i would v'e said 33.34%.

also about the 4 cards odds, i disregard the 3 first ones, and i just think of the odds of getting a set before receiving my 4th, which would be 66.66%. But if you look at it as a whole, you are right, 77.78%

I suspect he's talking about the board game where you actually draw cards from a limited pool, which will have a slight effect on the outcome. However cards on cc are randomly generated so the math is easier because the pool is unlimited and each new card has an exactly 1/3 chance of being either color.
Click image to enlarge.
Sergeant 1st Class zimmah

Medals: 43
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (4) Map Contribution (4)

Postby Viceroy63 on Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:42 am

Ok; I follow this thread so far but can any one calculate the odds of getting a rainbow (one card of each color) in 4 cards? Now that I would like to see done.

Boys, break out your calculators? :lol:

Oh; And how come we don't have joker spoils? Does anyone know?

I think that is a good question. :D
An Unproven Hypothesis; The Rise of Ignorance.
Ultimate Proof of Creation. Click the show tab below.
show
Major Viceroy63

Location: A little back water, hill billy hick place called Earth.
Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (1)
Clan Achievement (1) Training Achievement (2) General Contribution (1)

Postby TDK on Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:46 am

Adding jokers would complicate the random card generator program. I'm sure it's doable, but why fix what isn't broken?
Last edited by TDK on Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cadet TDK

Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)

Postby Kaskavel on Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:02 pm

Viceroy63 wrote:Ok; I follow this thread so far but can any one calculate the odds of getting a rainbow (one card of each color) in 4 cards? Now that I would like to see done.

That is 1/3*2/3*1/3+2/3*(1/3+2/3*1/3)=2/27+10/27=12/27=44,44% unless I am too sleepy to calculate right.
General Kaskavel

Medals: 52
Conqueror Achievement (1) Monthly Leader Gold (1) Monthly Leader Silver (1) Monthly Leader Bronze (2) Most Improved Silver (1)
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (7)

Postby agentcom on Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:18 pm

Viceroy63 wrote:Ok; I follow this thread so far but can any one calculate the odds of getting a rainbow (one card of each color) in 4 cards? Now that I would like to see done.

Given that you don't already have a rainbow? Then it's easy cuz you either have 2 of 1 color and 1 of another color or all 3 of the same color. If it's the latter, which only occurs 1/9 of the time, you know you won't be getting a rainbow. But in the 8/9 times that's not the case, you need 1 of the missing color giving you a 1/3 chance of getting a 4-card rainbow, given that you don't have a rainbow in 3 cards. So, you'd have an 8/27 or 30%

If you are starting from scratch and just want to know the odds of getting a rainbow given any four cards, then odds are slightly more complicated.

Your first card is X-colored. The other two colors are now Y and Z.

You need at least 1 Y and at least 1 Z in the next 3 cards.

1/3 chance of getting another X, in which case you need a Y and a Z to come out: odds 2/3*1/3 = 2/9
2/3 chance of getting a Y (i.e. anything but X), in which case you need a Z to come out. The chances of not getting a Z in these next two cards is 2/3*2/3 = 4/9. That means you have a 5/9 chance of getting a Z.

So, 1/3*2/9 + 2/3*5/9 = 2/27 +10/27 = 12/27.

You have a 12/27 or 44% chance of getting a rainbow in 4 cards.
Last edited by agentcom on Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Brigadier agentcom

Medals: 81
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Bot Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (17) General Achievement (8) Clan Achievement (8) Challenge Achievement (1) General Contribution (2)

Postby agentcom on Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:38 pm

So, you have a 2/3*1/3=2/9=22% chance of finding a rainbow set in 3 cards.

You have a 37% chance of finding one in any 4 cards.

Carrying on with the 4 card math, we need to add some number to that probability to figure out what your chances of finding a rainbow in a 5 card hand.

If you have one of the 15/27 or 63% percent of 4 card hands that don't already contain a rainbow AND you are NOT holding one of the 1/27 or 4% of hands that are all the same color, then you have a 1/3 chance of making a rainbow with your next card. Thus, the chances of making a rainbow WITH your fifth card are 14/27*1/3 or 14/81. Add this to the chance that you already had a rainbow in your hand and you see that:

You have a 50/81 or 62% chance of finding a rainbow in any given 5 card hand.
Brigadier agentcom

Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Bot Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (17) General Achievement (8) Clan Achievement (8) Challenge Achievement (1) General Contribution (2)

Postby Viceroy63 on Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:43 am

Oddly enough, I think that I understand.

So If I already have two different colors in three cards then the odds are the same (one in three) of getting a rainbow as getting a set of the same colors.

So I would have a one in three chance of getting something either a rainbow or a flush on that fourth card. One in three is still pretty low.

Thank you for that enlightening comment. =)
An Unproven Hypothesis; The Rise of Ignorance.
Ultimate Proof of Creation. Click the show tab below.
show
Major Viceroy63

Location: A little back water, hill billy hick place called Earth.
Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (1)
Clan Achievement (1) Training Achievement (2) General Contribution (1)

Postby agentcom on Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:57 pm

Viceroy63 wrote:Oddly enough, I think that I understand.

So If I already have two different colors in three cards then the odds are the same (one in three) of getting a rainbow as getting a set of the same colors.

So I would have a one in three chance of getting something either a rainbow or a flush on that fourth card. One in three is still pretty low.

Thank you for that enlightening comment. =)

Yes, you are right about that. Some of the above analysis only applies to getting a rainbow set though. But if you have a 2 pair, you are equally likely to end up cashing 3 of color A, 3 of color B, or a rainbow.
Brigadier agentcom

Return to Strategy