Fighting cooks.

Information on tactics, scenarios, and all that you'll need to be successful in-game!

Moderators: Global Moderators, Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Fighting cooks.

Postby skychaser on Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:01 am

waltero wrote:I have played cooks and High ranking players...there is A difference in playing high rank players while being a cook.

Not a matter...win or lose but how you play the game.
Sure I like to win. The best games are not when I win but when I take an arrogant Arse hole out along with me.

Some games develop into a grudge match between two or three players.
Most Cooks are not arrogent *ss holes. Many top ranking players are .

As of recent, this game begins to bore me...I no longer care about my rank.
When I was a Cook I entered knowing that I was as good as the rest and better than the best.

I refer to White Hat Cooks. When I speak of them being no better or worse than a High ranking player. They are new to this sight...not the game.

Yep. You got a cook heart and mind.
Good to know cause I thought these people only didn't know how to play but now I know they may know but prefer playing in childish way.

A tip. You may elliminate a higher ranked play but victory is the best "revenge". And while eliminatin him from a game he will win over another games so it's not a big deal. If you suicided on me I wouldn't feel bad about it. It's like in a poker game when a bad beat turns for someone, be it.
Furthermore. If you suicide agains a higher ranked player. He will lose lesser points than he could lose if you win the game.
User avatar
Colonel skychaser
 
Posts: 138
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:22 pm
Medals: 12
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)

Re: Fighting cooks.

Postby skychaser on Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:17 am

Dukasaur wrote:
agentcom wrote:You don't "enter CC as a cook," you have to earn it.

Yeah, you have to lose 42 of your first 45 games like I did!

Lol. Impossible losing so much.
User avatar
Colonel skychaser
 
Posts: 138
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:22 pm
Medals: 12
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)

Re: Fighting cooks.

Postby waltero on Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:04 pm

Good enough.
I wish to point out that I usually do not enter a game just to take somebody out along with me. The game develops that way.
I am not sure If I have ever entered into a game that a player simply plays to take a single player out (besides High rank taking out Cooks)

Although I find that some players Target Cooks right off the bat.
Sure you can devise a strategy to Counter a Cooks Suicide run.

Might be better to simply treat Cooks like any other player.
Do not provoke them.
It is not just cooks that call vendetta.

Only when Victory is no longer an option do others chose another player to go down with em...don't act like this is something that only cooks do. You do it...Everybody does it.

Here is one Example: Every player in the game Decided to gang up on red (red had no real problem with this). I would attack Red and Along with red I would attack blue up north. Well Blue Started to cry because I never allowed him to Gain bonus for his Territory. So I felt sorry For the General and did not attack him for two turns. The only thing Blue did was to Put all is units Next to my Border and continue to tell me Red was the Target. He never attacked Red! Not once (before or after I no attack him). So when I continued my attacks against him, He could not understand for the life of him why I attacked him.
Continued to tell me Red was the Target.
At that point It became a game for second place.

Was a good fun game. I came in Second. Had more than a few games like this.
This is The way the game is played. Suicide or what ever you want to call it...we have all played a game like this.
User avatar
Cook waltero
 
Posts: 211
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:54 pm
Location: Frisco
Medals: 16
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)
Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: Fighting cooks.

Postby BeauJyles on Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:57 pm

I completely agree that we've all done the suicide attack at some point or another. I think the main strategy is in your post above: "Do not provoke them" because they will most likely retaliate without keeping the "winning" objective in mind. I also agree with your point of treating cooks like any other player because if a cook gets a hint of foul-play or prejudice against them, the chances are that they will attack hard and give their game up to get back at someone.

I think one of the major differences with cooks and higher ranked players is that cooks tend to get provoked easier. And when provoked, they don't mind that they are minimising their chance of winning by acting vindictively towards another player. I think the mentality of "Oh well, it's just another loss (not caring about the win). At least I get to teach this other player a lesson before I get eliminated" is more prominent in cooks than higher ranked players.

Your example above is something that happens in many games. There is always a player that tries to get other people to do the dirty work (whilst they build a stack of their own). I think that's a great strategy, specially when the other players don't realise it (not like the one above). I think cooks are more susceptible to these kinds of manipulations and therefore better players use this to their advantage.

I think this thread is trying to highlight the more volatile behaviour or emotions if you will, of cooks and how to evade/use those emotions to your advantage. Playing against cooks can be frustrating but I think it adds an extra dimension to the game. I certainly don't mess with cooks when I play against them. My opinion is that they are a really good option to form alliances with as the liklihood of them overcommiting on the offensive and giving you the game (as the final two or three players) is higher than the paranoid higher ranked players that don't want to lose the upper hand.
User avatar
Captain BeauJyles
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:53 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Medals: 21
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)
Teammate Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)

Re: Fighting cooks.

Postby ZeekLTK on Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:30 pm

waltero wrote:So what is it that you play for in a game that is over before it even begins? Sometimes the war is between two individual players rather than win the entire War. That is called playing for fun.
Often times you might find yourself teaming up against a single player.

The point of the game Is NOT to Win! It is to have fun Play anyway you like.
Sometimes the point of the game can be the way you die.
The game is played many different ways and for many different reasons.
Just like Strategy...everybody is entitled to play how ever they wish.

If you find yourself in a game that you have no chance to win...what is the point, continuing to play.


"No chance to win" is subjective and cooks seem to jump to that conclusion sooner than they should. If you ACTUALLY have no chance of winning, then you wouldn't have enough troops to do any kind of damage to one of the other players in the game. But if you are strong enough to seriously damage another player's chance of winning, then you are strong enough to stay in the game and try to win yourself.

This is the problem with a lot of cooks (and low ranked players in general) IMO. They fall behind a little in the game (maybe they failed to take a bonus they were going for or whatnot), and rather than figure out a way to stay competitive in the game and try something else, they just give up, say "well, I can't win now", and go on a suicide run which actually does ruin their own chance of winning.


I remember a 3-player game I was in with a cook on the USA map. He was trying to hold the Rockies or something and I broke that up early since I had the West bonus. After a few turns of failing to take it back from me, he simply gave up and spent the rest of the game suiciding on me to allow the other player to win, and then he had the gall to blame ME for it because even though there were like 7-8 bonuses on that board, in his mind he HAD to have THAT ONE in order to win, and since I wouldn't let him have it, clearly I had just ruined his whole game and he was going to "make me pay". lol

Looking at the situation logically, a normal player would have been like "well damn, I can't hold this bonus right now, so I'll try to get a different one and come back to this later" - but a cook looks at the situation as "well, since I can't have this bonus, I can't win, so I'm just going to give up". lol
Lieutenant ZeekLTK
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:30 pm
Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)

Re: Fighting cooks.

Postby skychaser on Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:12 pm

ZeekLTK wrote:
waltero wrote:So what is it that you play for in a game that is over before it even begins? Sometimes the war is between two individual players rather than win the entire War. That is called playing for fun.
Often times you might find yourself teaming up against a single player.

The point of the game Is NOT to Win! It is to have fun Play anyway you like.
Sometimes the point of the game can be the way you die.
The game is played many different ways and for many different reasons.
Just like Strategy...everybody is entitled to play how ever they wish.

If you find yourself in a game that you have no chance to win...what is the point, continuing to play.


"No chance to win" is subjective and cooks seem to jump to that conclusion sooner than they should. If you ACTUALLY have no chance of winning, then you wouldn't have enough troops to do any kind of damage to one of the other players in the game. But if you are strong enough to seriously damage another player's chance of winning, then you are strong enough to stay in the game and try to win yourself.

This is the problem with a lot of cooks (and low ranked players in general) IMO. They fall behind a little in the game (maybe they failed to take a bonus they were going for or whatnot), and rather than figure out a way to stay competitive in the game and try something else, they just give up, say "well, I can't win now", and go on a suicide run which actually does ruin their own chance of winning.


I remember a 3-player game I was in with a cook on the USA map. He was trying to hold the Rockies or something and I broke that up early since I had the West bonus. After a few turns of failing to take it back from me, he simply gave up and spent the rest of the game suiciding on me to allow the other player to win, and then he had the gall to blame ME for it because even though there were like 7-8 bonuses on that board, in his mind he HAD to have THAT ONE in order to win, and since I wouldn't let him have it, clearly I had just ruined his whole game and he was going to "make me pay". lol

Looking at the situation logically, a normal player would have been like "well damn, I can't hold this bonus right now, so I'll try to get a different one and come back to this later" - but a cook looks at the situation as "well, since I can't have this bonus, I can't win, so I'm just going to give up". lol

I forgot to mention. If he wants a continent then give it to him. Even better if you tell him you're giving to him. So he will pester another person.
User avatar
Colonel skychaser
 
Posts: 138
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:22 pm
Medals: 12
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)

Re: Fighting cooks.

Postby waltero on Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:37 pm

Quote: If you ACTUALLY have no chance of winning, then you wouldn't have enough troops to do any kind of damage to one of the other players in the game.

Not true.
User avatar
Cook waltero
 
Posts: 211
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:54 pm
Location: Frisco
Medals: 16
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)
Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: Fighting cooks.

Postby skychaser on Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:59 pm

Yep. Actually you can have enough troops to break a bonus but not enough to fight back. But the point that weak players give up games they could win is fact.
User avatar
Colonel skychaser
 
Posts: 138
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:22 pm
Medals: 12
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)

Re: Fighting cooks.

Postby waltero on Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:29 am

Go ahead and concern yourself with Cooks. They are the least of my problem in any game that I have played.
You can communicate with a Cook. You don't have any chance trying to reason with A guy that holds a higher rank.
User avatar
Cook waltero
 
Posts: 211
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:54 pm
Location: Frisco
Medals: 16
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)
Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: Fighting cooks.

Postby skychaser on Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:36 am

I wouldn't really 'concern' cause I developed my way of playing that checks their skills and mannerisms into consideration. I can talk to them and maybe teach them something from time to time though.
User avatar
Colonel skychaser
 
Posts: 138
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:22 pm
Medals: 12
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)

Re: Fighting cooks.

Postby Gillipig on Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:43 am

When I used to play more seriously I always thought of the cook as the boards hobo. The guy you don't want to get near but also not insult (because that could mean he tries to make contact with you). Avoid them at all costs was my motto. Don't open a dialogue with him don't offer truces don't treat him as a real player, just look at him like an inevitable part of the game, like the dice.
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
User avatar
Lieutenant Gillipig
 
Posts: 3583
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:24 pm
Medals: 38
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (6) Tournament Contribution (3)

Re: Fighting cooks.

Postby GeneralRisk on Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:26 am

The only good cook is a dead or foed 1
Major GeneralRisk
 
Posts: 762
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:58 pm
Location: Neu-Schwabenland
Medals: 70
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (1) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (11) Clan Achievement (10)

Re: Fighting cooks.

Postby macbone on Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:37 am

Skychaser, your strategy is very close to our recommendations in the Society of the Cooks, although we don't specify that the playing style you're describing is for cooks. We use the term Bonus Monkey for players who think that grabbing a bonus is the secret to winning Escalating games (and this mindset isn't limited to cooks - I've played majors who have done the same thing).

We teach our students not to fight over bonuses, not to break bonuses (small ones, anyway), and to get out of a bonus monkey's way. These players often don't read game chat, and they're not open to discussing the board.

But waltero has a good point, too, in that there's more than one way to play this game. Although I haven't seen a better strategy for Escalating games than the Escalating Juggernaut, it's refreshing to me when someone tries a different strategy, like the Creeper or the Shield & Sword. And, of course, with so many different options in a game, there are many different strategies that are required, depending on the settings.

Many players who started out on the board game were used to the mantra that taking Australia is the best way to win the game. And on some settings, it certainly is, but getting students to look at other ways of playing is one of the main things we do in the SoC.

Anyway, interesting thread, man. The first post is very useful in knowing what to be aware of in Escalating play.
User avatar
Major macbone
SoC Training Instructor
SoC Training Instructor
 
Posts: 5636
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:12 pm
Location: Looking out over Victoria Harbor, thinking about Middle Earth and how good my wife looks
Medals: 83
Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Polymorphic Achievement (1)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2)
Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (9)
General Achievement (9) Clan Achievement (10) Training Achievement (2) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (2)

Re: Fighting cooks.

Postby AlexCox on Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:45 pm

cooks are irrational griefers, most players are. also there a damned rush to come second when another player is ahead most ranks act like coming second is something better than nothing and let another win.
Cadet AlexCox
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:14 am
Location: England
Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: Fighting cooks.

Postby trevor33 on Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:31 am

waltero wrote: Cooks are players and Most cooks are just as good as you.
Just think you high Ranking players need not be so Serious and play for the fun of it.


:lol: Silly rabbit.
User avatar
Major trevor33
 
Posts: 809
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:30 am
Location: With the fairies.
Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (11)

Re: Fighting cooks.

Postby trevor33 on Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:39 am

waltero wrote:Only when Victory is no longer an option do others chose another player to go down with em...don't act like this is something that only cooks do. You do it...Everybody does it.


Victory is always an option... 'chip and a chair'. This is a poker site, right? 8-)
User avatar
Major trevor33
 
Posts: 809
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:30 am
Location: With the fairies.
Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (11)

Re: Fighting cooks.

Postby AlexCox on Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:54 am

Also, it cuts both ways, if you happen to find yourself as a question mark or cook due to inactivity, a lost password and / or being intoxicated higher ranks will deeply resent any humiliation you heap upon them when active and sober and bare you an irrational hatred.

I'm just going to foe cooks on sight from now on, regardless if I've played them or not, also any griefers I meet when I play, can't be bothered with them even if they are sometimes useful farms, as a non-premmie I just can't be bothered with the lag and stupidity.

Useful tune for British cooks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkF_XpA5P48

Chatter and music on conquer are generally bad but who cares it's only a game.

Enjoying a special brew and listening to this http://www.mixcloud.com/ralph-anderson/ ... rk-db-mix/

while i wait for some suck ass cook deadbeat to get sober and take his turn or let me play mine drunk so I can become a cook

Addendum: British cooks if you find yourself in a position to storm UK from Africa don't hesitate to play this, even if you can't hold it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_tsxbZZHbU
Cadet AlexCox
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:14 am
Location: England
Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: Fighting cooks.

Postby skychaser on Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:54 am

macbone wrote:Skychaser, your strategy is very close to our recommendations in the Society of the Cooks, although we don't specify that the playing style you're describing is for cooks. We use the term Bonus Monkey for players who think that grabbing a bonus is the secret to winning Escalating games (and this mindset isn't limited to cooks - I've played majors who have done the same thing).

We teach our students not to fight over bonuses, not to break bonuses (small ones, anyway), and to get out of a bonus monkey's way. These players often don't read game chat, and they're not open to discussing the board.

But waltero has a good point, too, in that there's more than one way to play this game. Although I haven't seen a better strategy for Escalating games than the Escalating Juggernaut, it's refreshing to me when someone tries a different strategy, like the Creeper or the Shield & Sword. And, of course, with so many different options in a game, there are many different strategies that are required, depending on the settings.

Many players who started out on the board game were used to the mantra that taking Australia is the best way to win the game. And on some settings, it certainly is, but getting students to look at other ways of playing is one of the main things we do in the SoC.

Anyway, interesting thread, man. The first post is very useful in knowing what to be aware of in Escalating play.

Thank you. I will use some of our game's pitcures to my new guide soon.
User avatar
Colonel skychaser
 
Posts: 138
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:22 pm
Medals: 12
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)

Re: Fighting cooks.

Postby Sir-X on Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:07 pm

this is the funniest thing i have read in ages....

i never was a private or below. i seemed to slowly male lieutenant and the closest to loosing it was having 1601 points... anyway i really dont like seeing cooks join my games because they are either really crap or they have amazing dice and kill me fast... i loose a good 45+ points to every cook i play...

but nevermind. i have played cooks who have played 1000s of games more than me, they seem to know the game but they never seens to get out of the rut they get into...
User avatar
Captain Sir-X
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:14 am
Location: best rank: Major(2249points)----- best win %: 60%(56 out of 93)----- Best win Streak: 12
Medals: 16
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)

Re: Fighting cooks.

Postby ZeekLTK on Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:01 am

skychaser wrote:Yep. Actually you can have enough troops to break a bonus but not enough to fight back. But the point that weak players give up games they could win is fact.


If you have enough troops to break someone's bonus then you can leverage that to force a truce or alliance which will benefit you so that you can try to get to a point where you are "strong enough to fight back".

In a multiplayer game you have more options than you think. In your scenario above you can tell the guy you won't break his bonus if he makes a truce with you. Then you can build up while he fights elsewhere. Or you can ask another player for help - say that your neighbor has a bonus and is going to wipe you out soon and try to get someone else to attack him from another border. He will have to divert troops to fight the other guy, giving you breathing room. Etc.

Basically, this is exactly what I said - if you are strong enough to ruin another player's game then you are strong enough to stay alive and try to win.
Lieutenant ZeekLTK
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:30 pm
Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)

Re: Fighting cooks.

Postby skychaser on Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:53 am

ZeekLTK wrote:
skychaser wrote:Yep. Actually you can have enough troops to break a bonus but not enough to fight back. But the point that weak players give up games they could win is fact.


If you have enough troops to break someone's bonus then you can leverage that to force a truce or alliance which will benefit you so that you can try to get to a point where you are "strong enough to fight back".

In a multiplayer game you have more options than you think. In your scenario above you can tell the guy you won't break his bonus if he makes a truce with you. Then you can build up while he fights elsewhere. Or you can ask another player for help - say that your neighbor has a bonus and is going to wipe you out soon and try to get someone else to attack him from another border. He will have to divert troops to fight the other guy, giving you breathing room. Etc.

Basically, this is exactly what I said - if you are strong enough to ruin another player's game then you are strong enough to stay alive and try to win.

Makes sense. Thank you.
User avatar
Colonel skychaser
 
Posts: 138
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:22 pm
Medals: 12
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)

Re: Fighting cooks.

Postby shadowguynick on Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:33 am

One strategy I like to use against inexperienced players is convince them someone else is the "bad guy". I don't know why, but once they think someone might dominate the game they are hellbent on stopping him. It weakens your top enemy without you having to fight him. The new player may eventually catch on to what you're doing, so be prepared. Diplomacy is also my favorite option, since brute force weakens you, and gains little usually. I am relatively new to this site, but the strategies involved I have been using since I started playing strategy games.
Private shadowguynick
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:37 pm

Re: Fighting cooks.

Postby waltero on Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:19 am

ZeekLTK wrote:
skychaser wrote:Yep. Actually you can have enough troops to break a bonus but not enough to fight back. But the point that weak players give up games they could win is fact.


If you have enough troops to break someone's bonus then you can leverage that to force a truce or alliance which will benefit you so that you can try to get to a point where you are "strong enough to fight back".

In a multiplayer game you have more options than you think. In your scenario above you can tell the guy you won't break his bonus if he makes a truce with you. Then you can build up while he fights elsewhere. Or you can ask another player for help - say that your neighbor has a bonus and is going to wipe you out soon and try to get someone else to attack him from another border. He will have to divert troops to fight the other guy, giving you breathing room. Etc.

Basically, this is exactly what I said - if you are strong enough to ruin another player's game then you are strong enough to stay alive and try to win.


Most the time (when you are so weak) other players would rather focus on weak players Spoils and terit...bonus.
Rarely (if ever) will somebody come out of a hole. If a weak (or strong) player is giving you grief the simplest way to eliminate any more grief in the game is to take em out!

regardless...There always comes A time when you know the War has been lost. At that point it becomes a game play on how you go out. Some people might want to come in Second (Last to be eliminated). Cooks will do what they do and Lieutenants will do as they wish. Tis all the same.

I love it when you get these renobs (usually the High ranking Players) that enter the game Thinking that they know everything and assume you are there to play the game as they think it should be played. If you want to know what I mean, look up this game 12104164.

I would probably be on top...If I had not missed a Critical turn (only turn I have ever missed)! Anyhow I foed the guy so I would not have to listen to him.
User avatar
Cook waltero
 
Posts: 211
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:54 pm
Location: Frisco
Medals: 16
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)
Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: Fighting cooks.

Postby ZeekLTK on Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:21 pm

Well, speaking from a game in which I'm one of the stronger players and was surrounded by several weaker players (weak in terms that they had much less territory and could not do much except probably break someone's [like mine] bonus) I was more than happy to form alliances with them to let them keep their bonuses near me and also have them help me (and themselves) by fighting my (stronger) opponents.

But you are right, in that weaker role you have to be cautious. This was an 8 player game where 4 players had become "top dogs" and 4 were on the verge of elimination. I was allied with 3 of the "small dogs" but eventually at some point 2 of them decided to test their luck and come after me - and then I quickly eliminated them because I wasn't going to deal with that. One of the players was so weak that yeah, he probably wasn't going to last much longer anyways, but the other - he had a decent bonus and was starting to make a comeback, he just got greedy. I think if he had kept our truce, he could have really taken some ground against our common opponent and gotten himself back into the game because I had no interest in fighting him at all, I was much too busy with other opponents so I was perfectly content to share a border that didn't need to be defended.

The last ally, I lost because he was losing to the bigger guy he was fighting and was on the verge of being eliminated, so I took him out to get his cards (hence the other thread I started lol).
Lieutenant ZeekLTK
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:30 pm
Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)

Re: Fighting cooks.

Postby AlexCox on Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:22 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2xmRwHyK-E In refernce to earlier Leroy Jenkins got his own dubstep - from the original promo but with dubstep mixed in
Cadet AlexCox
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:14 am
Location: England
Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

PreviousNext

Return to Strategy

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: kkelly

Login