Fighting cooks.

Information on tactics, scenarios, and all that you'll need to be successful in-game!

Moderators: Global Moderators, Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Fighting cooks.

Postby skychaser on Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:25 am

You'll need a good director for this story.
Colonel skychaser

Medals: 12
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)

Postby OliverFA on Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:03 pm

Having reached the range of major recently and also recently became truly scared of cooks and their unpredictability, I love this thread. Once you embrace that most low ranked players behave unpredictably, surviving to them and keeping your rank becomes as fun as it was to reach it.
Welcoming the long awaited Trench Warfare Setting (Previously Adjacent Attacks).

My Maps:
Research and Conquer - Civilization meets Conquer Club

Best score: 2,346 - Best position: #618 - Best percentile: 4.87%
Private 1st Class OliverFA

Medals: 32
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1)
Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1)
Clan Achievement (3) Training Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (5)

Postby waltero on Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:17 pm

OliverFA wrote:Having reached the range of major recently and also recently became truly scared of cooks and their unpredictability, I love this thread. Once you embrace that most low ranked players behave unpredictably, surviving to them and keeping your rank becomes as fun as it was to reach it.

Great! That is how everybody should take it.
To simply avoid (foe) cooks altogether is not going to help your game (improvement)play in the slightest.

I have played many a low rank players and I do not think they are anymore suicidal than any other player (not for long anyhow). Once they join as a full member then their fun begins.

it has been brought to my attention that many High rank players 'threaten' to suicide on your arse (many physically do suicide on your arse) not much of a difference if you ask me.
Cook waltero

Medals: 16
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)
Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby Viceroy63 on Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:06 pm

Nah; It's all just a whole lot of talking and no walking. =)

Real suicider's don't threaten to jump, They just jump off the building and that's all she wrote. That's just the one's looking for attention who do all that talking, because they get none at home. lol. =)
An Unproven Hypothesis; The Rise of Ignorance.
Ultimate Proof of Creation. Click the show tab below.
show
Major Viceroy63

Location: A little back water, hill billy hick place called Earth.
Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (1)
Clan Achievement (1) Training Achievement (2) General Contribution (1)

Postby waltero on Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:55 pm

I had a post in a different topic. I think this portion of my post is better fitted to this topic.

Tis not hard to understand how a fair player can have such a low rank, other than totally sucking at this game.
Many Factors to consider.
Rank
medals
ratings
team games
1vs 1 games
and much much more.
This game is unique, It has a wide range of players (oppose to other games)
People tend to get into this game. Feelings run ramp id here.
too many angry people.

Tis a fun game for all to enjoy.
I do not need to get into a pissing match with anybody here. Who is better than who.
A players Stats are available for everybody to see (unless you are banned from the forum :oops: ). You can get a clear picture on whether a player sucks or not.

SIMPLY VIEWING A 'COOKS HAT' DOES NOT MAKE FOR A TOTALLY SUCK PLAYER!

When I engage into battle against a top ranking player I only understand that he is not new to the game. I do not feel he is better than I (in a non team game).

Oh crap, I am a cadet! I suck.
Need to fix that...gots to be a cook, so I can totally suck!
Cook waltero

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)

Postby betiko on Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:03 pm

This is simply because in a 1v1 only very basic skills are required, and the biggest part has to do with luck.
If we played 10 1v1 games vs each other, i won 8 and you won 2 i would most probably still lose points overall. So on luck based games (when you have risk basics) the few tricks I know won t do much compared to the advantage it is to start first, to get a trade at the right timing or to have great dice. You have nothing to fear vs high ranked players. If you want to rank up, i suggest you to go find 1v1 games on easy maps/settings in the game finder and go farm some high ranked players. That s the stupid thing about the system. You probably will win points by maintaining a 35% win rate or so vs slightly higher ranked. And gosh you ll piss them off by taking 50pts each time. But once you rank up you ll see it starts being a different story when you get less than 20 per win.
General betiko

Medals: 162
Conquer Cup Gold Achievement (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (2)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2)
Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (2) Bot Achievement (4)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (17) General Achievement (31) Clan Achievement (12) Training Achievement (2)

Postby clowncar on Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:32 pm

When I first joined the site, I stated that a cook's best strategy against a high rank is to gamble as they learn better ways to approach the game and I still believe it is true. I don't think a cook getting lucky on bad dice odds is all that much different a role as luck plays in other situations throughout gameplay. But the longer the game plays out, the larger the advantage for the presumably better player. The reason that higher ranked players hate the bad gambles by cook's is because they know it hurts their win % compared to playing the cooks who simply try their version of conventional strategy. That is to say ...

COOK A: plays bad strategy but tries to employ what he thinks is normal good strategy

COOK B: takes ill advised early gambles

Higher Ranked player: Has the tools and strategies down pretty good.

COOK A will likely have a good winning % against COOK B but he will have a lower % against the higher ranked player.

If you are a higher ranked player, you would much rather play against cook A, and it has nothing to do with bad play ruining a game it has to do with the fact that you are about to get point pounded if you lose and you are more likely to lose against COOK B.
Lieutenant clowncar

Medals: 23
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)

Postby waltero on Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:41 pm

No matter what Strategy (a long shot or not) a guy uses...it always comes down to luck.
Do you feel lucky Punk...well do ya..Yes I do!

Bad Luck, you (any player HR or not) are not going to take Chances( the long shot) good luck You might feel it is worth the chance..Especially if you have nothing to lose.
Say you are thinking of doing something Crazy (a long shot)...it might give you the game (or put you back in the game).
So you test the waters...you attack only once, "OH lookie there" that was nice, you continue your attack. OK things went well for you in your First assault.
So you follow up with your plan...your attacks are going better than planned.
The only thing the other players will understand, is that (if you are a low rank) you are a noob and playing the game of luck.
When that is not the case at all (other than the entire game being based on luck).
When a noob gets lucky (plan follows through)he is an idiot, a cook (noob).

Fact is we all play our game (not necessarily Strategy) on the luck factor.
Just as if you do not attack somebody because you know Your luck is nothing but bad today. Everybody will Have an understanding that you should of attacked such and such and that is why you are doing so bad.
Underestimating a cook can lead to your demise.

I can remember one of my first wins on a multi-singles game. I Had suggested to a fellow player not to collect a card because he was being targeted. Some other HR got on my case for speaking to a HR player (while I was a low rank).
As well...the very start of the game, all the HR lambasted me for taking control of such a puny little country (This board everybody had to gain control of a Bonus in order to survive)..
Later in the game (being lambasted all the while) I knew the game was mine...I even stated as much, then the remarks really came a flyin.
It might have been that every player underestimated me (being that I was A lowly cook)...that contributing to my Victory.
When I win a game you should understand that it is my, Skill and daring...SKILL AND DARING!

My point is, no matter how a cook plays the game, it will always be con screwed as Luck or Idiotic...Only here in CC
Cook waltero

Postby skychaser on Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:19 pm

My friend. A cook is taken as someone who didn't win enough to get a higher rank. Only that.
It may be that not all cooks "play bad" but if they don't win enough times to get a higher rank then that must mean something.
Then there is farmers, off course, people who only play with high rankers tend to have a high rank and not everyone in high ranks is a good player. There's a chance that some high ranked dude has low skills but there's much lesser chance a cook play this game right.
And by right I mean. With victory in mind, methodically.

I play against cooks almost all of my matches, and cadets and such cause I only play 12 players sequential escalating foggy games. Because it's the hard mode here. I know about cooks.
Colonel skychaser

Medals: 12
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)

Previous

Return to Strategy