Newbies ----> Flame On

Information on tactics, scenarios, and all that you'll need to be successful in-game!

Moderator: Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Newbies ----> Flame On

Postby inchul64 on Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:36 pm

Hi,

Ok, I now understand why people don't want to play newbies. I just recently joined, but I've taken 100% of my turns and I am currently addicted enough that's affecting my life. I wait for people to take their turn and it drives me crazy when they take the full 24 hours.

Anyway, the reason I am ranting is that I recently had a little flame war with someone who was playing their first game. There were 3 of us left and the third guy was winning heavily. But the newbie was attacking me. So I kindly chatted that the other guy was going to take us out in a couple of turns if he (newbie) kept attacking me instead of working with me to attack the dominant player. He responded that there are no rules and that I was a coward for hiding behind my computer. Well, I then called him an idiot for suiciding himself when the object of the game is to win. In one turn, the game was over. You can't totally avoid playing new players. I read the guide that someone wrote about playing with them, but in this case, the guy was a little unhinged. So my question is not about new players but mentally unstable players. What can you do about them? There must be plenty of them on here. I mean, if you love to conquer, isn't that a bit on the crazy side? Not that I'm calling anyone crazy since I categorize myself in that group. Aren't all dictators at least a little bit crazy as well as highly intelligent?

Anyway, I don't know if anyone wants to share their strategy when you play an unbalanced person or a megalomaniac.

Inchul64
Sergeant inchul64
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:55 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Medals: 9
Standard Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)

Re: Newbies ----> Flame On

Postby NoSurvivors on Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:50 am

There isn't really a strategy to deal with someone suiciding into you.. But you can always put that player on your "foe" list so you don't have to play them again. :)
User avatar
Cook NoSurvivors
 
Posts: 1440
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 10:25 am
Medals: 80
Monthly Leader Silver (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2)
Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (8) Clan Achievement (3) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (5)

Re: Newbies ----> Flame On

Postby Koganosi on Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:37 am

I could only suggest picking up teamgames. So you can work together with your teammate. As long as he doesnt suicide into you, you should be fine. Next to that I would be sure to take a look at the training grounds in the forum and sign up for some classes. You should be able to learn alot I quess if your new to the site. Next to that do what the person said before me foe em, so you wont play em again atleast they cant join your games. And next to that see if you can find a game with some more higher rated people, make sure its a map you can play and fair with the cards. Else it can feel a little unfair.

Urs

Koganosi
Image
User avatar
Lieutenant Koganosi
SoC Training Instructor
SoC Training Instructor
 
Posts: 1485
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:06 pm
Location: Netherlands
Medals: 64
Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (4)
General Achievement (12) Clan Achievement (8) Training Achievement (1)

Re: Newbies ----> Flame On

Postby Arama86n on Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:07 pm

The two answers so far have been very good.
As the first gentleman said, if you encounter some one who is detracting from an enjoyable gaming experience for you, use the foe button and you'll never have to play with them again (unless you happen to sign up for the same tournament as them).
Sure this doesn't stop you occasionally meeting new unstable people, but thankfully there isn't too many of these people around, and the ones that are... well, such is life. You'll find them in all games, and in real life too.

The second suggestion to pick up team games is sound advice too. I mostly avoid standard FR/NS games these days because I find it hard to deal with the constant whining. People who criticise everyone who isn't playing the game to their advantage, and even rate you poorly because they fail to see that just because one doesn't play to their advantage does not mean one isn't playing well. (besides, team games are much more fun anyway)

Let me add a third suggestion; You say you hate when people take the full 24 hours and are very active: Sounds like Freestyle is the thing for you. Playing a 6 player game you could potentially be waiting nearly 5 days for your next turn, but, with Freestyle, you are guaranteed never to have to wait more than a day, and also ,with great activity you can choose when to take your turn, await the opportune moment, and strike with timing to your advantage.
If you have a strategic mind, and are as active as you suggest, you'll have a lot of fun playing FS, and raise your win ratio a lot.

Welcome to the Club, best of luck in your endeavours.
Image
User avatar
Major Arama86n
 
Posts: 1443
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:32 pm
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Medals: 47
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (5) Clan Achievement (9) Tournament Contribution (4)

Re: Newbies ----> Flame On

Postby Gilligan on Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:24 pm

Image

Sorry, I had to. :)
Image
User avatar
Major Gilligan
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant
 
Posts: 12733
Joined: Thu May 11, 2006 4:59 pm
Location: Providence, RI
Medals: 202
Monthly Leader Silver (1) Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Most Improved Silver (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3)
Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3)
Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2)
Battle Royale Achievement (3) Bot Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (30) General Achievement (32)

Re: Newbies ----> Flame On

Postby SaMejoHn on Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:47 pm

Gilligan wrote:Image

Sorry, I had to. :)

8-) :lol:
User avatar
Major SaMejoHn
 
Posts: 205
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:33 pm
Medals: 36
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (1)

Re: Newbies ----> Flame On

Postby inchul64 on Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:00 pm

Koganosi wrote:I could only suggest picking up teamgames. So you can work together with your teammate. As long as he doesnt suicide into you, you should be fine. Next to that I would be sure to take a look at the training grounds in the forum and sign up for some classes. You should be able to learn alot I quess if your new to the site. Next to that do what the person said before me foe em, so you wont play em again atleast they cant join your games. And next to that see if you can find a game with some more higher rated people, make sure its a map you can play and fair with the cards. Else it can feel a little unfair.

Urs

Koganosi


Thanks for the advice. I have foed the guy. Since I'm inexperienced with team games, I'm apprehensive about playing them. I am in one team game now (my first and it's with random team members) and I was unlucky to have most of my armies taken out in the first turn. My other teammates seem more experienced and it looks like we're going to win and I have managed to avoid being taken out. I hate the fact that I haven't been able to contribute to the team and I'm like a freeloader. I am considering signing up for the Academy.
Sergeant inchul64
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:55 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Medals: 9
Standard Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)

Incorrect statement

Postby martin pringle on Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:55 pm

Hey!
If you want to chat about your game experience with me and wether you liked or not is up to you..i dont mind and everyone is entitled to their opinion.
However, you did not object to my tactics nicely at all! and some of the comments you acuse me of being are nothing further than the truth.It was a nasty message you originally sent me and you know that.
You had no idea what my tactics were like i did not know yours but if you had suggested an alliance i would have readily withdrawn from my new territories and i would have let you have them back and swung around another way.I dont have the benefit of the map in front of me but i wouldnt have gone directly south i would leave that to you.I would go the long way round.
I am certainly not a newbee either!
I first bought risk in 1972 when i was 12yrs old.I gave up when i became a parent and with a baby to look after long games were no longer for me.
However in 1997 with the computer era well on its way i played on that but that was against the computer not a human.
Someone bought me a new risk board game a few years ago but could never get proper games and i noticed this site a little while ago.
i read you love the game as well which i am pleased to hear
Proposition
Lets call an a truce!
I see your from LA in great U S A and 48 yrs old and im 52 and english.It dont feel right being enemies.
hopefully we will meet up in a game and be allies...wouldnt that be great!!
Good luck in all your games
Best regards
Martin Pringle
Cook martin pringle
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:53 pm

Re: Incorrect statement

Postby Extreme Ways on Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:33 pm

martin pringle wrote:Hey!
ould leave that to you.I would go the long way round.
I am certainly not a newbee either!
I first bought risk in 1972 when i was 12yrs old.I gave up when i became a parent and with a baby to look after long games were no longer for me.

Why would you do that :O
VDLL, ex-KoRT.
User avatar
Major Extreme Ways
 
Posts: 295
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:02 am
Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (2) Training Achievement (1)

Re: Newbies ----> Flame On

Postby Koganosi on Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:59 pm

inchul64 wrote:
Koganosi wrote:I could only suggest picking up teamgames. So you can work together with your teammate. As long as he doesnt suicide into you, you should be fine. Next to that I would be sure to take a look at the training grounds in the forum and sign up for some classes. You should be able to learn alot I quess if your new to the site. Next to that do what the person said before me foe em, so you wont play em again atleast they cant join your games. And next to that see if you can find a game with some more higher rated people, make sure its a map you can play and fair with the cards. Else it can feel a little unfair.

Urs

Koganosi


Thanks for the advice. I have foed the guy. Since I'm inexperienced with team games, I'm apprehensive about playing them. I am in one team game now (my first and it's with random team members) and I was unlucky to have most of my armies taken out in the first turn. My other teammates seem more experienced and it looks like we're going to win and I have managed to avoid being taken out. I hate the fact that I haven't been able to contribute to the team and I'm like a freeloader. I am considering signing up for the Academy.


I invited you for a game, doubles 4 player, classic, I might be able to learn you a thing or 2. And I probably will take my turns faster then 12 hours ;) ish!

Dont consider it just do it, nothing to lose right?

Urs

Koganosi

ps:

Gilligan wrote:Image

Sorry, I had to. :)


Flames STRONK!
Image
User avatar
Lieutenant Koganosi
SoC Training Instructor
SoC Training Instructor
 
Posts: 1485
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:06 pm
Location: Netherlands
Medals: 64
Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (4)
General Achievement (12) Clan Achievement (8) Training Achievement (1)

Re: Newbies ----> Flame On

Postby Iron Butterfly on Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:16 am

Being suicided is a right of passage. It happens and there is no way around it.

In a three player game or when it comes down to three there will always be a king maker. they are the one who helps the winner win.

I have also played games that seemed to last a life time when down to 3 players the two weakest would team up against the strongest...which constantly rotated.

welcome to CC and it sounds like you made a new friend.
User avatar
Major Iron Butterfly
 
Posts: 2702
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:10 pm
Location: New York City
Medals: 36
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (7) Training Achievement (2) General Contribution (7)

Re: Newbies ----> Flame On

Postby waltero on Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:00 pm

I am not sure but I do not think I have foed a newb for this reason.
The longer you play the more you will find that it is the Vets that are Suicidal...They would rather a Higher rank player win than a newb. They will suicide at the slightest inclination that a newb is going to win. As well It is the vets (high ranking players) that team up on lower rank then work on each other. In other words the high ranks team up to kill low rank than play the game.

I Could go on and on about many high rank players and there foul game play.

This is a war game you will encounter suicidal player no matter what rank. Maybe the best thing to do is reason with somebody that is going up in you. I believe a player has a better chance of reasoning with a newb than they would with a (rude) vet.
Vets seem to take this game too serious...like it is there livelihood. Remember it is just a game.

Try not to think of it as suicide...just your enemy wanting to destroy you. Many players call it suicide when another attacks them.
User avatar
Cadet waltero
 
Posts: 210
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:54 pm
Location: Frisco
Medals: 16
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)
Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: Newbies ----> Flame On

Postby Shannon Apple on Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:01 pm

waltero wrote:I am not sure but I do not think I have foed a newb for this reason.
The longer you play the more you will find that it is the Vets that are Suicidal...They would rather a Higher rank player win than a newb. They will suicide at the slightest inclination that a newb is going to win. As well It is the vets (high ranking players) that team up on lower rank then work on each other. In other words the high ranks team up to kill low rank than play the game.

I Could go on and on about many high rank players and there foul game play.

This is a war game you will encounter suicidal player no matter what rank. Maybe the best thing to do is reason with somebody that is going up in you. I believe a player has a better chance of reasoning with a newb than they would with a (rude) vet.
Vets seem to take this game too serious...like it is there livelihood. Remember it is just a game.

Try not to think of it as suicide...just your enemy wanting to destroy you. Many players call it suicide when another attacks them.

Unfortunately it happens the other way around as well.

I have yet to come across a vet to call me out in a game for doing something daft while I was a low rank. I had stripes a month ago, so it's not that hard to work your way up if you want to. Stop blaming each other. Read the strategy threads here on the forum. Watch how the higher ranked players move in a game. That's how you learn and become better. Then you won't have any reason to get mad at vets, or they at you.

Bonus monkeying is a really annoying strategy. That's where in an escalating game, the newb runs along to snap up a bonus, even if it means taking out the stack of one or two other players. Not only do they weaken themselves, but also the two players that they hit in pursuit of the bonus. The guy with the bonus in that case never wins. Someone else comes along and takes all three players out because spoils are worth way more than bonus and potentially clears the game by cashing all the spoils. The newb has wasted far more troops trying to get a stupid 2 or 3 bonus than he would have if he sat tight like everyone else and waited for his opportunity to make a move. :lol:

Sometimes a bonus monkey has it's advantages... because I get to win, (or someone does.) :lol: But, when you're on the receiving end of the monkey moves, it's like grrr. Best way to deal with it though is just foe them if they keep doing it.

I think there's a thread on it somewhere lol.
User avatar
Colonel Shannon Apple
Media Volunteer
Media Volunteer
 
Posts: 1001
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:40 pm
Location: Ireland
Medals: 46
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (4) Training Achievement (1)
Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (2)

Re: Newbies ----> Flame On

Postby waltero on Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:14 am

Not so much as doing something Daft (being called out). Rather, players thinking you are playing like a fool.

Everybody plays their own game. The Hi rank player (not that they play a better game than I) Always have something to say...the rude ones.
This is a game! Get use to it...people play there own game.

different Strategies. Unorthodox players.

What gets me is when you enter a game and There is a unwritten code of conduct (rules).

Only one I run across so far would be Doodle Earth (freestyle). Great fun!

Many rules of play...you apparently have to ask your enemy to give up a terit before you attack it (many more rules of play).
If you do not know the proper etiquette you will be considered a noob, and will be foed.

My game Play (sky card...intrnet conctn sucks resets every move and every three minutes) does not permit me to talk to the other players.
I have to play as fast as I can. often times not knowing were I am attacking (when it resets the conectn, it moves my target area to a different target entirely).
We are also talking about a 1 minute turn.

Anywhoo I play with a different Strategy. Most players do not agree with my Strategy. they seem to think it is stupid to play this way. Talking about Doodle Earth freestyle.
I come close to winning every game that I have played. I have figured out (not due to the other players lambasting me or even foe me) that it is not good for me to enter into a 1 minute turn, game.
Once I have good conctn I will try again. (with my same lame strategy)

I am a unorthodox player.
So I get many people who do not understand what is going on,. I can explain till I am Blue in the face...and they just do not get it.

For instance; Luxemburg, Assassin, Fog. Two terits for each player. 8 player game. My first turn...I see that my target has failed in his Assault..and he has fortified to the (his) terit that is adjacent to me. Therefore, I place my units on my terit that is adjacent to my target...he has 8 units and I have 6
I figure That is good enough for me. Knowing that If I eliminate his 8 units, he will only have 1 unit on his second and only terit.

It worked. He was pissed and stated that it was a foolish move, he told me that it was bad odds. I responded...I do not play with Bob. It was good enough odds. And I tried to explain that I probably would not have done it if he had not forted his units. It gave his position away. I could only see one of his terits and by him fortifying his units he lifted the fog.

He continued to say it did not make any sense. I was foed.

My point is...even if you think you understand the game or game board there is somebody who always knows more than you. Even a low rank playr.

Another example; In a fog trench game. A player was winning and another player was not attacking the guy who was running away with the game. He tried to express that he can not see the guy (target) therefore he can not attack him.

I told him that was an excuse. Boy did everybody blow up. They kept trying to explain to me that you can not attack a guy that you can not see.

What a farce!

The game log tells all (reading his game turn). Of course the foul language and name calling came out.
I tried to explain that I could not see him either (yet I had been Waring against him every turn)...turns out none of us could see him.

I informed them (3 of them) what to do. all the while they continued to try and tell me...if you can not see him you can not wage war against him.
We were able to beat the hidden guy down.

I am not trying to point out my Great skill and daring.

Trying to tell others...Even if you do not understand how (why) somebody is playing the game...learn to take it like a man!

If you are crying about the dice or another player and how they are Messing up ''your''' game...maybe you should take off your Skirt and start playing the Game!

I know a guy that Shot three people while playing Risk. The other players ganged up on him, he walked into his bedroom and got his gun...went to the kitchen and started blasting em.
Hit three of them nobody got killed...Not sure who won that game, Guess he did...he was playing for realz.
User avatar
Cadet waltero
 
Posts: 210
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:54 pm
Location: Frisco
Medals: 16
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)
Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: Newbies ----> Flame On

Postby SirSebstar on Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:07 am

once you meet an unhinged player, foe them. saves you the agrevation of meeting them again
User avatar
Major SirSebstar
 
Posts: 7329
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:51 am
Location: SirSebstar is BACK. Highscore: Colonel Score: 2919 21/03/2011
Medals: 95
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (23) General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (9) Training Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (4)
General Contribution (11)

Re: Newbies ----> Flame On

Postby waltero on Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:03 am

Conquer club has it set up that way. You can Choose your battles.

Many Players get frustrated when they come across a player that does something totally unexpected.
And that is OK.
Anger and frustration is part of the game, it is how you deal with your Anger and frustration that Makes the game UN-enjoyable to some.

I get a kick out of a guy who gets so mad that he starts with the name calling and the like (even going so far as to yell and call the dice names) How Childish.
What the hell is that all about?

Let me ask, would you rather play with bad dice or a noob?

This game is addictive. Foe everybody who has ever beaten you...foe the noobs if you play for points.
No need to get mad just because a newbie has bested you in a game. maybe he is just better than you...not the Dice as you would suggest.

Picking and choosing the players in a game might give you a false sense of Mastery over the game.

If it is fun for you to play under those conditions by all means go with it.
Just STOP crying when you find yourself in a Game (tournament...you have to play with those you do not normally play with) with players that do not play the same game as you!

Just laugh have fun and Enjoy.

I have been playing games for many years now.
I recall a guy who when playing risk would only roll one die oppose to two on defense...he did not want to lose two guys in one roll.
What you gonna do ;-)

I must say, I never found so many angry player as I do in this game alone.
Not sure it is your opponent. The Dice factor strikes again.
User avatar
Cadet waltero
 
Posts: 210
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:54 pm
Location: Frisco
Medals: 16
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)
Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: Newbies ----> Flame On

Postby clowncar on Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:08 am

Hi gang,
I am a newbie and certainly have a lot to learn as far as strategies of the game is concerned. I apologize in advance for any dumb gameplay. But I do want to help you understand that some of the boneheaded "risks" that newbies take are often not the worst strategy for them.

In a protracted game ( whether it be risk or most other games ) where I am thoroughly outmatched, I find that I am often better off taking a higher risk approach. To put it into context, imagine you are an out of shape boxer fighting a prize fighter. The longer the fight goes the less chance you have to win. You are going to tire or make a mistake that the prize fighter is not and you are more likely to lose. In order to have a decent chance of winning, I would be going all out for an early round knockout. Or imagine playing roullette. The more spins, the more likely you are to lose because you have the disadvantage and the power of multiple trials will draw you nearer and nearer to expected results.

Therefore, I may watch my more skilled opponents and learn from them but I am also going to try my hardest to give myself the best chance ( As I know it ... I am a newbie with a lot to learn as I said ) to win.

Let me explain it another way .... If you are more skilled than me it may be in my best interest to take a gamble at a bad % play this turn because the likelihood is that with each passing turn, my chances of defeating you will likely decrease. I think that sometimes this very basic concept in game theory is forgotten. One of the reasons underdogs in sporting events like to eat clock and limit possessions is because as you increase the number of plays/possessions in a game where you are outmatched, the more likely you are to lose.

So just a little perspective about why a newbie may take a gamble now that he may not take several months down the line. It doesn't mean he is an idiot or even lacking in the knowledge that it is a negative EV maneuver in a vacuum.... it may well be his best chance to win.

Happy hunting and please don't foe me.

clowncar
User avatar
Captain clowncar
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:12 am
Medals: 23
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)

Re: Newbies ----> Flame On

Postby jsnyder748 on Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:16 am

im going to foe you. You said something smart and your new! It was a scary thing to witness :lol: :lol:

(Im not really in case you did not see the sarcasm)

While I agree that you feel that you should be more aggressive so that if you happen to get lucky you are able to win. You probably don't want to follow that strategy for more than a few games. It helps to get used to the game mechanics and different settings while being very non-aggressive.

You are in the game longer (usually) and can learn from others if you are less aggressive and more receptive. You can use the chat to persuade others in your favor or to ask questions. People who have been around for a long time like newbies who take incentive in learning proper strategy. It may seem so simple to long time members how to play escalating games properly and even to those of us who played the board game when we were younger (like many new member) but there is always something to be learned and so many different ways to play because of the variety the website provides.
Image
User avatar
Colonel jsnyder748
 
Posts: 792
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:56 pm
Location: BIG RED NEBRASKA - UNL - Electrical Engineering
Medals: 89
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (10) General Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (10) Tournament Contribution (14)

Re: Newbies ----> Flame On

Postby waltero on Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:33 pm

You will find that many players play with Bob, and never make an Assault with low Odds.

This is a game with little strategy and big on the dice.
A good way to keep yourself from getting frustrated at the (bad) dice...do not think of them as dice (outside the game it is OK to refer to them as dice).
Your men are starving. Opponent is dug in. Bad weather, anything but dice.

Many a pro that play this game, play with Bob.
Some do not like to make an Assault going against the odds...even if it means the game.
I am not sure if playing with Bob is a good thing. Don't think I want the odds staring me in the face every time I make an Assault.
This is a game of dice...got to play the dice.
If you are rolling shite go defense cause you know you will not win any attacks. If that does not work...give it a rest for a day or two.
The only constant in all my games...I will generally lose when I pit four men against one, 87% of the time. Only if I start out with three units I can win against one unit 93% of the time.
Man do people (mainly the higher rank) get pissed off in this game when somebody assaults with negative odds.
battles are not always fought with 1to1 odds.

If you have a overwhelming feeling about an attack...go with it!
If going Against overwhelming odds (in one or two battles) will put you on top, go for it.

Bob is not a part of my game and When I go against a pro and Kick his arse he can not understand how it is possible. He will call it luck of the dice (even though the dice stats favor him). After I point out the dice stats to him he will say it is because I went first.
I simply do not see a problem playing Against Newbies.
Not even sure what a noob is.
Many newbies on this forum, does not mean they have never played the game.
Idiotic move (play ) does not constitute a Newbie.
This Post is just another way for players to blame the loss of the game on another player.
You will find that many players play for rank. When they lose against a lower rank they can not admit defeat!
It is anything but there fault. Then of course they give you a bad rating.
One Star...they are so foolish to realize that when people look at a rating with one star across the board that it is a farce (not a honest rating).
Many good players in here...many a poor sport as well.

The object of this game is to Achieve High rank. then you can act like an ass to all the other players.
Never mind everything else.
If your game play lacks...and you rarely get promoted. Try playing Newbies or low rank players only.
Do not worry about improving your game play.
Just make rank and you will never be accused of being a newb (just a dumb ass).

Tis much the same...many High rank players Play the same as da newbs do.

NEVER APOLOGIZE FOR YOUR GAME PLAY!!!

Every game is Different.
IF you ever see a Movie called TIN CUP you will know what I am Talking About.
More importantly Is to get a feel for the game.

If you have a feeling go with it!
Makes for one hell of a game sometimes.
Last edited by waltero on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
User avatar
Cadet waltero
 
Posts: 210
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:54 pm
Location: Frisco
Medals: 16
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)
Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: Newbies ----> Flame On

Postby ZeekLTK on Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:34 pm

clowncar wrote:Hi gang,
I am a newbie and certainly have a lot to learn as far as strategies of the game is concerned. I apologize in advance for any dumb gameplay. But I do want to help you understand that some of the boneheaded "risks" that newbies take are often not the worst strategy for them.

In a protracted game ( whether it be risk or most other games ) where I am thoroughly outmatched, I find that I am often better off taking a higher risk approach. To put it into context, imagine you are an out of shape boxer fighting a prize fighter. The longer the fight goes the less chance you have to win. You are going to tire or make a mistake that the prize fighter is not and you are more likely to lose. In order to have a decent chance of winning, I would be going all out for an early round knockout. Or imagine playing roullette. The more spins, the more likely you are to lose because you have the disadvantage and the power of multiple trials will draw you nearer and nearer to expected results.

Therefore, I may watch my more skilled opponents and learn from them but I am also going to try my hardest to give myself the best chance ( As I know it ... I am a newbie with a lot to learn as I said ) to win.

Let me explain it another way .... If you are more skilled than me it may be in my best interest to take a gamble at a bad % play this turn because the likelihood is that with each passing turn, my chances of defeating you will likely decrease. I think that sometimes this very basic concept in game theory is forgotten. One of the reasons underdogs in sporting events like to eat clock and limit possessions is because as you increase the number of plays/possessions in a game where you are outmatched, the more likely you are to lose.

So just a little perspective about why a newbie may take a gamble now that he may not take several months down the line. It doesn't mean he is an idiot or even lacking in the knowledge that it is a negative EV maneuver in a vacuum.... it may well be his best chance to win.

Happy hunting and please don't foe me.

clowncar



I would say the one thing about that is, though, that you never learn to get better by doing it.

For example, sure Buster Douglas was able to knock out Mike Tyson, but overall who had the better career and won the most? It was Tyson, because he learned to box whereas Buster Douglas only "gambled".

I feel like it's the same on here. Sure, if you are in a tournament game and are playing a much higher player and will be eliminated if you lose, take out all the stops. But if you are just playing some random game, why gamble instead of try to learn how to play?

Basically, if you go for the long shot every time, you never get good enough to learn how to play without that. And it's called a "long shot" for a reason. Sure, it might win you a game here and there, but overall it's not a good strategy because it will backfire more than it will work.

That's how you end up as a cook - you try to throw the hay-maker every game in the first round and when it only works twice in the span of 20 games, you come out with a 2-18 record and are no better off than where you started. However, if you actually try to play the game and learn good strategy, maybe you come out 7-13 or something. Not the greatest, but not terrible either. And since you generally get more points for a win than you lose for a loss (especially as a new player), you can actually start moving up in the ranks, etc.
Lieutenant ZeekLTK
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:30 pm
Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)

Re: Newbies ----> Flame On

Postby waltero on Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:06 pm

Just want to point out that it is not Cooks alone that Skew a game.

It's just easier to put the blame on them...you got to blame it on something.
I play against whom ever.
I know that Vets can (and do) Skew a game much more than newbs do!
It works both ways...no play with newbs, how you going to learn (learn how to play against them)?

A Newb is anybody who has not played on a particular board.
You can have 1000 or more games under your belt and still be considered a newb, When you enter into a game board that you have never played on before.

Example: I entered A freestyle Doodle Earth game.
At that time I was a sarge.
After my first game I had many posts on my wall, telling me that a was a F**cking Noob!
And that I was foed (oh no not that).

Who the hell knew that there are rules, considered dishonorable to attack big stacks, leaving more than one unit on terit that you do not have a big stack already in place...and having to ask somebody if you can attack their terit!
What in the Hell is that all about!
Who has time for all that on a speed game (1 min) freestyle?

My connection was sooo slow that I could not even play that way, if I wanted too.
Thing Is I did very well in the game.
My Supper Slow connection lost the game for me. I am convinced that I could win using Basic Strategy (same strat as Original game...and rules).
I understand now. That is what they like. They set the game up with those rules to make it enjoyable to them. No matter if there is a winning strategy.
I continued to be a newb on that map for three more games. It was the most fun I have had in any game I have played on this sight.

Not because I befuddled many vets (that was fun too).
Finally a fellow player explained to me what was going on and why others were getting pissed at me (not simply because I eliminated them or Skewed their game play).
Stopped playing being that I could not handle such Speed.

Would Like to play if I had better Connection.

Anybody and everybody can be considered a newb!

Yes even you who have High rank and consider yourself A pro.
This is not the only sight that a person can engage in a game of Risk!
User avatar
Cadet waltero
 
Posts: 210
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:54 pm
Location: Frisco
Medals: 16
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)
Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: Newbies ----> Flame On

Postby ZeekLTK on Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:53 pm

I don't really think that's what people are talking about. Instead, when I picture a "noob" doing something risky/stupid that people might get mad about is something like if you play a 1v1 and your (noob) opponent tries to attack you with lots of 3v3s on his first turn. If he gets lucky and wins, then it basically sets him up to win the whole game because he has decimated your troops before you even got a chance to play. But what are the odds that will work? Not very high. Instead, most of the time he will try that and decimate his own troops, allowing you to win easily. So then other players get pissed about this because either way he has ruined the game, and they are especially mad when it's his lucky day and he ends up winning too.

That's an example of what I said in my previous post. Sure, you can try something ridiculous that is a huge risk and could potentially gave you a win if it works in that one game, but how does that help you overall? Overall you are going to lose way more often than you win doing stuff like that, AND no one is going to want to play against you either, because what fun is it to either lose because someone did something really stupid yet hit the jackpot, or to win because someone destroyed themselves going for a huge gamble? It's not fun.
Lieutenant ZeekLTK
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:30 pm
Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)

Re: Newbies ----> Flame On

Postby trevor33 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:04 pm

Who hasn't lost the plot in a game at some point and crashed into an opponent ruining both your chances?

We've all done it, especially those who use the chat function.
User avatar
Major trevor33
 
Posts: 807
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:30 am
Location: With the fairies.
Medals: 37
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (11)

Re: Newbies ----> Flame On

Postby waltero on Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:52 pm

trevor33 wrote:Who hasn't lost the plot in a game at some point and crashed into an opponent ruining both your chances?

We've all done it, especially those who use the chat function.



True Dat...I have often Provoke somebody into attacking me.
I am big on chat.
I Just recently engaged in a game where I purposely made myself the target...I had no real position to speak of. Everybody was placing there units and not attacking. Drop and end the turn. I notice a player building big stacks next to my terits. So I Started to attack large armies along my Borders...just the guy who had place a large formation next to my puny Terits (every one of mine...he was setting up to take me out). Soon everybody had something to say about that.
I was attacking him at not so good odds and beating him down.
This was at the beginning of the game.

Soon everybody wanted a piece of me! I Wanted to see how easy it is to divert other players from there strategy. The Higher rank players would have none of it. I made a statement; Anybody who places a huge amount of units next to my border will be Attacked.

Soon everybody was placing units next to my Border. Lowest rank (Private) Player won the game.
More than one way to skew a game.
Sometimes the best players are so Predictable.
User avatar
Cadet waltero
 
Posts: 210
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:54 pm
Location: Frisco
Medals: 16
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)
Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: Newbies ----> Flame On

Postby waltero on Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:37 pm

Very little Strategy to be learned in this game.

This is a game of dice. As it stands now it is a game of luck!
Luck on cards luck on placement luck on Internet conctn luck on defense luck on attack.

If players wish to play their game based on luck so be it!

Game play is limited. Implement Card play and weather along with many other variables.
Probably the only way to reduce the dice factor (luck).

oops sorry
Last edited by waltero on Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Cadet waltero
 
Posts: 210
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:54 pm
Location: Frisco
Medals: 16
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)
Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Next

Return to Strategy

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: tonemonster

Login