Conquer Club

Completely peaceful bot games

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Completely peaceful bot games

Postby Winged Cat on Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:33 pm

Game 14947509

I'm not sure whether to report this here or in Bug Reports, but fixing this feels more like a feature request than a bug, so until then...

Create a No Spoils bot game with all the bots selected (except Coachbot, and freemiums can't play against the level 4 bot; I have not yet tried this without the level 4 bot, but it would probably work). Having a round limit is important, but as of this writing all bot games have round limits.

Then just deploy roughly evenly, every turn. Don't attack, don't reinforce. Watch the bots not attack. When the round limit comes up, everyone's got the same number of armies and territories, so the human player wins by being first in join order, and you're that much further along toward the next bot medal. Granted, you can't get any points this way - but this strategy is so simple, even a cook can do it.

(Maybe try to pick a map with no small-territory bonuses. But in this example, El Salvador and Belize were safe despite being only 2 territories each, and pink had taken San Salvador down to 1 more than once - a perfect opportunity for silver to secure El Salvador, which would have won the game if nothing else changed, but silver stayed put. Even so, probably avoid maps with 1-territory bonuses, especially if a player could start off owning them. It may also be a factor to avoid large maps or maps with many neutrals: bots may get more aggressive when everyone has 10 territories, or most of their neighbors are neutrals still at only 3 armies after many turns, than when everyone has 3 territories.)
Sergeant 1st Class Winged Cat

Re: Completely peaceful bot games

Postby JBlombier on Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:02 pm

I don't understand the problem with this. All you did was playing an extremely useless game. That doesn't matter, because it's your own time you're wasting. Maybe the only thing that might seem a little unfair, is that your win percentage went up, but that's negligible in comparison to all the other games you play. Also, if you'd do this full-time, your win percentage wouldn't show your real skill, so that would be just as useless. As for the bot-medal... if people want to get it this way, they got my blessing. It has always struck me as the least important medal of all, since even the worst player on CC can achieve it. Nonetheless, the worst CC players aren't strategically equiped enough to even think of this game option. So if someone decides to do it this way, maybe they deserve the medal.

Long story short, this isn't a bug. The real question is: Do you want to play another game like that again? Or do you would want to play that game again against real people? Because that will be a lot more fun. PM if you do ;)

- JBlombier
Colonel JBlombier

Postby Winged Cat on Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:42 pm

Fair enough. Although I also appear to be winning a tournament game, with bots and humans, using mostly this strategy. Granted, those don't shift any points either, and the other humans all seem to be using the same strategy too, but it is a tournament (even if just for stars). (Not linking it because it's a fog game, still in progress.)

Postby macbone on Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:19 am

That's bizarre! Definitely a bug, I'd say.

Yeah, it worked the same way for me: Game 14992074
Colonel macbone

Postby timogl on Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:20 am

i noticed it, i played one like that with the level four bot too. they won't attack, i think they were programmed by somebody from Norway or something.
Lieutenant timogl

Postby Silly Knig-it on Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:07 am

I missed that part about the level 4 bots. With just 3's and/or 2's they do attack.

If you are bored and want to get a bot medal, its a good way to pick up a bunch of bot victories all at once instead of 1v1 and get 1.

I often play a bot game while sitting on the throne. I think its a productive use of time.

Just tried a game with all of them, and I lost. They do attack.
Sergeant 1st Class Silly Knig-it
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Winged Cat on Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:21 pm

Silly Knig-it wrote:Just tried a game with all of them, and I lost. They do attack.

You mean Game 14995216? You have to specify No Spoils. Otherwise, there's advantage to attacking even if you can't immediately secure reinforcements, and the bots take advantage of that. With No Spoils, it looks like the risk/reward is unfavorable enough that the bots keep holding off.

Also, of course, don't use maps with 1-territory bonuses (such as the capital city on Malta), especially ones that players can initially drop upon.

Postby Silly Knig-it on Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:27 am

You mean Game 14995216Watch game? You have to specify No Spoils. Otherwise, there's advantage to attacking even if you can't immediately secure reinforcements, and the bots take advantage of that. With No Spoils, it looks like the risk/reward is unfavorable enough that the bots keep holding off.

Also, of course, don't use maps with 1-territory bonuses (such as the capital city on Malta), especially ones that players can initially drop upon.

Ah, I see. I will give it a try. In the meantime it does get one closer to a bot medal 7 or 8 at a time. Productive, quality, bathroom time. lol

But, seriously, thanks for spotting what I had missed.

Tried what was suggested and it does work and brought me 7 or 8 (I didn't pay attention) closer to a Bot Bronze.
Sergeant 1st Class Silly Knig-it
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Winged Cat on Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:18 pm

Actually it's 10 at a time, if you have all the bots (other than Coachbot) checked. (At least, that's what I observed when working my way to Bot Platinum.) And you're welcome.

Postby betiko on Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:52 pm

JBlombier wrote:I don't understand the problem with this. All you did was playing an extremely useless game. That doesn't matter, because it's your own time you're wasting. Maybe the only thing that might seem a little unfair, is that your win percentage went up, but that's negligible in comparison to all the other games you play. Also, if you'd do this full-time, your win percentage wouldn't show your real skill, so that would be just as useless. As for the bot-medal... if people want to get it this way, they got my blessing. It has always struck me as the least important medal of all, since even the worst player on CC can achieve it. Nonetheless, the worst CC players aren't strategically equiped enough to even think of this game option. So if someone decides to do it this way, maybe they deserve the medal.

Long story short, this isn't a bug. The real question is: Do you want to play another game like that again? Or do you would want to play that game again against real people? Because that will be a lot more fun. PM if you do ;)

- JBlombier

the win percentage never showed the real skill of anything; it is a totally dumb figure that mixes all type of games and opponents, and I'm really surprised someone with your experience jblombier could even mention it as a remotely significant measure. The fact that bot games are also counted in it makes it something even more meaningless. Too bad no suggestion about it has ever been taken into consideration.
Major betiko

Return to Conquer Club Discussion