world 2.1

Information on tactics, scenarios, and all that you'll need to be successful in-game!

Moderators: Global Moderators, Discussions Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: world 2.1

Postby the.killing.44 on Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:07 pm

waradmiral wrote:My Strategy

Take Oceania and do not let go of it. Its easily defensible and you can pop up all over the map to suppress your enemies.

Oceania is the worst continent to feasibly hold (I say this because of Asia—I mean, c'mon). South America, North America, Africa, and Europe are all better, in that order.
User avatar
Major the.killing.44
 
Posts: 4737
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:43 pm
Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes
Medals: 47
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (3) General Achievement (3)
Clan Achievement (3) Map Contribution (2) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (4)

Re: world 2.1

Postby medgar20 on Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:22 pm

the.killing.44 wrote:
waradmiral wrote:My Strategy

Take Oceania and do not let go of it. Its easily defensible and you can pop up all over the map to suppress your enemies.

Oceania is the worst continent to feasibly hold (I say this because of Asia—I mean, c'mon). South America, North America, Africa, and Europe are all better, in that order.


Agreed. It's not awful and on the plus side you rarely get competition for it once Australia is secured but unless Asia (or perhaps more specifically China) is held in addition it's far too easy to drop into a weak midgame position. It just can't expand anywhere else without leaving a stretched line of territories to defend.
Major medgar20
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 9:52 pm
Medals: 8
Standard Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: world 2.1

Postby natty dread on Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:11 pm

Hello, I've not played very many games, but here's what I've gathered about playing 2.1 esc freestyle unlimited, 3-6 players:

The usual escalating tactic everyone knows, the chain reaction of killing and cashing cards... needs some alteration on 2.1. The map is so big, the bonuses are so big, that card cashes won't come into play for a long time. You can still pull off the chain reaction, but you need to time it perfectly.

While waiting for that time, you build your assets, try to grab as much territory and continents as you can. But don't spread yourself too thin, so it's too easy to break your bonuses. It's a delicate balance. Use your drop as your advantage, even if you get a bad drop, make the most you can from it.

Then, when you have a steady foothold and a steady income of troops, start harassing on your opponents. Break a bonus here, take a territory there.

As the time comes near, you pick the best target, and start preparing in advance for the slaughter. Position some troops strategically, but don't be too obvious. Do it subtly. Throw smoke, make your opponents think you're after someone else than you're really after.

Wait for it... wait for it... and bang!

You might not be able to sweep the whole board in one turn. It doesn't matter, just weaken the leftover opponent(s) enough so that you can get them the next turn. Beware, if any have 3 or more cards, they could have a set. Take precaution. Don't waste all your troops trying to take them out, if it starts to seem like you can't do it.

It could even take more than 2 turns. Ie. you kill the first one on 1 turn, reinforce to attack the next guy with the troops you got, then take the next guy on the next turn, go on to sweep most of the board, again reinforce/deploy in the right places, and on the 3rd turn you finish the job.

One more thing, with so many territories in the map, you really need to work out your attack routes in advance, that is, before you deploy. Otherwise you may find yourself in a situation where you would have had enough troops, but you end up advancing yourself into a corner...


The most important advice: THINK before you act!


Sorry if this is off topic because of the escalating thing, I'll play some flat rate 2.1 soon, I'll let you know what I think about it after.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread
 
Posts: 13257
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:58 pm
Location: fucked off
Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Re: world 2.1

Postby AAFitz on Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:48 pm

natty_dread wrote:Hello, I've not played very many games, but here's what I've gathered about playing 2.1 esc freestyle unlimited, 3-6 players:

The usual escalating tactic everyone knows, the chain reaction of killing and cashing cards... needs some alteration on 2.1. The map is so big, the bonuses are so big, that card cashes won't come into play for a long time. You can still pull off the chain reaction, but you need to time it perfectly.

While waiting for that time, you build your assets, try to grab as much territory and continents as you can. But don't spread yourself too thin, so it's too easy to break your bonuses. It's a delicate balance. Use your drop as your advantage, even if you get a bad drop, make the most you can from it.

Then, when you have a steady foothold and a steady income of troops, start harassing on your opponents. Break a bonus here, take a territory there.

As the time comes near, you pick the best target, and start preparing in advance for the slaughter. Position some troops strategically, but don't be too obvious. Do it subtly. Throw smoke, make your opponents think you're after someone else than you're really after.

Wait for it... wait for it... and bang!

You might not be able to sweep the whole board in one turn. It doesn't matter, just weaken the leftover opponent(s) enough so that you can get them the next turn. Beware, if any have 3 or more cards, they could have a set. Take precaution. Don't waste all your troops trying to take them out, if it starts to seem like you can't do it.

It could even take more than 2 turns. Ie. you kill the first one on 1 turn, reinforce to attack the next guy with the troops you got, then take the next guy on the next turn, go on to sweep most of the board, again reinforce/deploy in the right places, and on the 3rd turn you finish the job.

One more thing, with so many territories in the map, you really need to work out your attack routes in advance, that is, before you deploy. Otherwise you may find yourself in a situation where you would have had enough troops, but you end up advancing yourself into a corner...


The most important advice: THINK before you act!


Sorry if this is off topic because of the escalating thing, I'll play some flat rate 2.1 soon, I'll let you know what I think about it after.


This is fairly in depth considering the 3 games youve played on world. Its on the generic side, but its all sound advice. It will be interesting to see how your CC career develops.
john9blue wrote:"honestly i think martin might be better off dead"

sekretar: "i go to russia and then, without comp, i hoppe, i forgot this shit who kill my nerves long time!"
User avatar
Major AAFitz
 
Posts: 7216
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:47 am
Location: On top of the World 2.1
Medals: 84
Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (2)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3)
Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (8) General Achievement (2)
Clan Achievement (8) Tournament Contribution (8) General Contribution (2)

Re: world 2.1

Postby Mr Changsha on Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:52 pm

medgar20 wrote:
the.killing.44 wrote:
waradmiral wrote:My Strategy

Take Oceania and do not let go of it. Its easily defensible and you can pop up all over the map to suppress your enemies.

Oceania is the worst continent to feasibly hold (I say this because of Asia—I mean, c'mon). South America, North America, Africa, and Europe are all better, in that order.


Agreed. It's not awful and on the plus side you rarely get competition for it once Australia is secured but unless Asia (or perhaps more specifically China) is held in addition it's far too easy to drop into a weak midgame position. It just can't expand anywhere else without leaving a stretched line of territories to defend.


Oceana's usefulness depends largely on whether a player is playing asia, how far progressed they are compared to you in oceana and (very importantly) how experienced/able the chap in Asia is. Finally, is the Asia player intending to head south, or will they spread east or west?

Assuming the asia player is reasonably passive towards you and gives you time to get in and settled (as sometimes happens) then oceana is a great spot to hang in there for the long game. The 14 deployment is usually enough to just about stay competitive on your borders (assuming there is no great threat from the claims and you can lay most of it towards China). However, if the Asia player is determined to head south, as he arguably should, then the oceana player must fight down to the last freakin' man (or at least appear willing to ;) ) in an attempt to deplete asia enough to allow the middle east , europe or NA to create the war on two fronts against asia.

Assuming Asia can be defeated, the Ocena/China/India/Russia expansion is absolutely lethal in the right hands..minimal borders and massive deployment. However, the alternative is to make peace with Asia and spread into either SA or South Africa in the mid-game, which I have seen work well and have even done it myself on occasion.

Conclusion: Happy to play there, quite a good spot to swoop for the late win from, but always the possibilty that you might get an early exit at the hands of Asia.
Image
User avatar
Colonel Mr Changsha
 
Posts: 1615
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:42 am
Medals: 14
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (3)

Re: world 2.1

Postby natty dread on Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:52 am

AAFitz wrote:This is fairly in depth considering the 3 games youve played on world. Its on the generic side, but its all sound advice. It will be interesting to see how your CC career develops.


Hehe, thanks. I know I haven't played lots on the map... I've noticed a few players say that they just instantly "got" the 2.1 map when they first played it. I guess I'm one of those people... there's just something about that map. It "speaks" to me... ;)

Actually it's a very straightforward map, it's just very very big. Most of the advice that applies on classic map applies on 2.1. With some exceptions.
Last edited by natty dread on Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread
 
Posts: 13257
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:58 pm
Location: fucked off
Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Re: world 2.1

Postby Baron Von PWN on Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:12 am

It would seem to me that the more players on the map the more important continental bonuses, due to the extra competition for territory. I think this would be especialy true for games without spoils or flat rate. I also think that If there is FOW then continents become more valuable. Am I way of here? I've played many diferent strategy games but I'm pretty new to CC.
User avatar
Sergeant Baron Von PWN
 
Posts: 194
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:05 pm
Location: Capital region ,Canada
Medals: 19
Standard Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)

Re: world 2.1

Postby medgar20 on Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:17 am

Mr Changsha wrote:Oceana's usefulness depends largely on whether a player is playing asia, how far progressed they are compared to you in oceana and (very importantly) how experienced/able the chap in Asia is. Finally, is the Asia player intending to head south, or will they spread east or west?

Assuming the asia player is reasonably passive towards you and gives you time to get in and settled (as sometimes happens) then oceana is a great spot to hang in there for the long game. The 14 deployment is usually enough to just about stay competitive on your borders (assuming there is no great threat from the claims and you can lay most of it towards China). However, if the Asia player is determined to head south, as he arguably should, then the oceana player must fight down to the last freakin' man (or at least appear willing to ;) ) in an attempt to deplete asia enough to allow the middle east , europe or NA to create the war on two fronts against asia.

Assuming Asia can be defeated, the Ocena/China/India/Russia expansion is absolutely lethal in the right hands..minimal borders and massive deployment. However, the alternative is to make peace with Asia and spread into either SA or South Africa in the mid-game, which I have seen work well and have even done it myself on occasion.

Conclusion: Happy to play there, quite a good spot to swoop for the late win from, but always the possibilty that you might get an early exit at the hands of Asia.


Aye, peace with Asia is something I forgot to mention, that's definitely viable. Agree with the rest, especially the Asia/Oceania combo.

Ultimately though I just don't think Oceania offers anything uniquely good which is its main problem. All the other continents carry very similar options and benefits, but fewer flaws - they generally aren't dependent on the skill of one opposing player which you alluded to. Against a strong player getting a foothold in Asia it suddenly becomes very weak in comparison to other areas.
Major medgar20
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 9:52 pm
Medals: 8
Standard Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: world 2.1

Postby Crazyirishman on Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:10 pm

I like Africa because in a sense it is the ugly beaten stepchild of the continents. Due to its size most players don't put up a fight in Africa unless they think they can take the continent, so when playing fog its rather easy to take but difficult to expand. If you manage to take the continent then you have to cihp away at the surrounding areas. But if you get broken, you'll spend 10-15 rounds waiting to die in a flat rate no spoils game.
User avatar
Captain Crazyirishman
 
Posts: 1508
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:05 pm
Location: Maine, North Carolina, Colorado or somewhere in between.
Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (6)

Re: world 2.1

Postby Zivel on Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:57 am

What do you do when you are late to asia and Oceania has a foothold already and then turtles and becomes to big to take out?
Game Click Here

Also when you are the big boy and you have all the power, how do you assert your dominance and take the game. Using BoB whats the best amount of troops to have over the opposition to successfully make the kill? Usually it comes down to three and by that time I seem to have trouble finishing the game off.... Do I just work on one guy and kill him off to make it a two v two or do I try and take them down together?
User avatar
Sergeant Zivel
 
Posts: 291
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:49 am
Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (6) Training Achievement (1)

Re: world 2.1

Postby Mr Changsha on Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:41 am

Zivel wrote:What do you do when you are late to asia and Oceania has a foothold already and then turtles and becomes to big to take out?
Game Click Here

Also when you are the big boy and you have all the power, how do you assert your dominance and take the game. Using BoB whats the best amount of troops to have over the opposition to successfully make the kill? Usually it comes down to three and by that time I seem to have trouble finishing the game off.... Do I just work on one guy and kill him off to make it a two v two or do I try and take them down together?


I think the silver major is going to take your overspread arse out within a few rounds, especially if you have a front opened on you from the other side. You don't need BOB to tell you that you are outmanned and outgunned (judging by how many oceana has on the frontlines).

One word: Trouble.

With regards to your second question it depends on the position...however, I've always been a fan of getting to 45% troops/territories and then laying the smack on the remaining players in an attempt to get to 55-60% after the move. Remember that if you can reduce all your opponents deployment to the minimum, while hugely increasing your own deployment, then it is possible to turn a five man into a one man over a few rounds.
Image
User avatar
Colonel Mr Changsha
 
Posts: 1615
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:42 am
Medals: 14
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (3)

Re: world 2.1

Postby Zivel on Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:09 am

Mr Changsha wrote:
One word: Trouble.



Lol I get bored, guess I better pull back and shore up those front lines in Asia some more. Bloody build games :oops:
User avatar
Sergeant Zivel
 
Posts: 291
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:49 am
Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (6) Training Achievement (1)

Re: world 2.1

Postby cyberjock1 on Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:41 pm

I'm having quite the go at this....that and realizing i suck as bad at this game as i did back in the old risk boardgame days
Cadet cyberjock1
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:36 pm

Re: world 2.1

Postby Donald Fung on Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:24 pm

Zivel wrote:What do you do when you are late to asia and Oceania has a foothold already and then turtles and becomes to big to take out?
Game Click Here

Also when you are the big boy and you have all the power, how do you assert your dominance and take the game. Using BoB whats the best amount of troops to have over the opposition to successfully make the kill? Usually it comes down to three and by that time I seem to have trouble finishing the game off.... Do I just work on one guy and kill him off to make it a two v two or do I try and take them down together?


My question to you is, who in the world will play a no spoils 8 players World 2.1? You'll still be playing by Round 100. :lol: Worst combo ever, probably worst than manual, sequential City Mogul which is whoever goes first wins. :lol:
User avatar
Captain Donald Fung
 
Posts: 219
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:06 pm
Location: New York
Medals: 14
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (1)

Re: world 2.1

Postby Zivel on Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:57 pm

Donald Fung wrote:
My question to you is, who in the world will play a no spoils 8 players World 2.1? You'll still be playing by Round 100. :lol: Worst combo ever, probably worst than manual, sequential City Mogul which is whoever goes first wins. :lol:


each to their own ;) Its all a pretty much all I play (well that and tournys) At least that one is unlimited, I have a couple going that are adjacent and they tend to go on for a while lol
User avatar
Sergeant Zivel
 
Posts: 291
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:49 am
Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (6) Training Achievement (1)

PreviousNext

Return to Strategy

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Login