Tank Battle (1v1?), update, page 4.

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Tank Battle (1v1?), update, page 4.

Postby Oneyed on Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:36 pm

[Nobodies Note]: 19 February 2013 - Approved 1vs1 Map

Map Name:Tank Battle
Mapmaker(s):Oneyed
Number of Territories:44
Special Features:invisible targets, only bombardments of enemy, changed situation on battlefield, conditional borders, blockers. I made it as 1v1 map, but maybe after small changes in gameplay it could be up to 4 players.
What Makes This Map Worthy of Being Made:

Map Image:
new version. the idea was that map should looks as briefing map with Lieutenants notices...

here is updated version.
Click image to enlarge.
image


show


Oneyed
Last edited by Oneyed on Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:19 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Sergeant 1st Class Oneyed
 
Posts: 857
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:29 pm
Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)

Re: Tank Battle (1v1?), BLUE GUYS COULD THIS BE DONE?

Postby Oneyed on Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:32 am

before I will spend my time, my energy, my electricity - is this possible to do?

Oneyed
Sergeant 1st Class Oneyed
 
Posts: 857
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:29 pm
Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)

Re: Tank Battle (1v1?), BLUE GUYS COULD THIS BE DONE?

Postby koontz1973 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:50 am

Do not know, have you PMed nobodies for permission as per 1v1 map rules?
Sergeant 1st Class koontz1973
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant
 
Posts: 7538
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:57 am
Medals: 116
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (10) General Achievement (13) Clan Achievement (5) Map Contribution (12)
Tournament Contribution (31) General Contribution (9)

Re: Tank Battle (1v1?), BLUE GUYS COULD THIS BE DONE?

Postby Oneyed on Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:02 am

koontz1973 wrote:Do not know,


hm, so itlooks that there are two questions:
1, if it could be done as 1v1 map.
2, if this could works, if this is possible? I mean hidden targets, only bombardment of opponent, also that in one round player from region X can bombard region Y, but 3 rounds later he can not from region X bombard region Y (because change of situation)...

koontz1973 wrote:have you PMed nobodies for permission as per 1v1 map rules?


I PMed him if this could works. no for 1v1 rules. will PM him ones more.

Oneyed
Sergeant 1st Class Oneyed
 
Posts: 857
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:29 pm
Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)

Re: Tank Battle (1v1?), BLUE GUYS COULD THIS BE DONE?

Postby thenobodies80 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:11 am

I'll look at the map this evening, when at home. ;)

Nobodies

Give every man your ear, but few thy voice. Take each man's censure, but reserve thy judgment.
show
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class thenobodies80
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman
 
Posts: 5640
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:30 am
Medals: 70
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Bot Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
General Achievement (8) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (6) General Contribution (17)

Re: Tank Battle (1v1?), BLUE GUYS COULD THIS BE DONE?

Postby thenobodies80 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:57 pm

There're some elements that are not totally clear to me, but i prefer to post them tomorrow in the morning, with a more fresh brain.
At glance there's nothing that i can see to not allow this map as 1vs1 map.
To be honest, if i got it right, I like the idea behind it! :)

Just a note, remember that if you want to make it a 1vs1 map it must be just a 1vs1 map so you have to consider some aspects to balance the starting drop and the gameplay, but in the same time you can ignore some other aspects like terminator, assassins and team games which won't be played on this map, being 1vs1.

More thoughts tomorrow, sorry if i have to postpone my thoughts of few hours but it's late and my brain is really off.

Nobodies

@koontz, if you're holding this map into melting pot because you waited a response from me, then feel free to move it into the drafting room. ;)

Give every man your ear, but few thy voice. Take each man's censure, but reserve thy judgment.
show
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class thenobodies80
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman
 
Posts: 5640
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:30 am
Medals: 70
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Bot Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
General Achievement (8) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (6) General Contribution (17)

Re: Tank Battle (1v1?), BLUE GUYS COULD THIS BE DONE?

Postby koontz1973 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:20 am

thenobodies80 wrote:@koontz, if you're holding this map into melting pot because you waited a response from me, then feel free to move it into the drafting room. ;)

No, keeping it in the drafting room as it does not hold all elements to meet draft status. Will move when that happens (Bonuses) or when Oneyed asks for it to be moved. ;)

I like this idea for a map but have found it like nobodies, a bit confusing for my rushed brain.

To move tank, you have to hold entire tank and leader tank. :?:
Only when you hold entire tank can you see targets clearly. :?:
Targets are direction of cannon. :?:
Sergeant 1st Class koontz1973
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant
 
Posts: 7538
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:57 am
Medals: 116
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (10) General Achievement (13) Clan Achievement (5) Map Contribution (12)
Tournament Contribution (31) General Contribution (9)

Re: Tank Battle (1v1?), BLUE GUYS COULD THIS BE DONE?

Postby thenobodies80 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:23 am

Ok, I have few minutes to post my initial concerns:

  1. You talk about invisible targets. I assume it's a creative way to indicate conditional borders. But just to be clear there's no way to have an invisible target apart play a fog game. Certainly with conditional borders you can make impossible to attack a specific territory if you don't qualify for the condition, but in anycase, apart FOW games, the amount of troops there will be visible to the players.
  2. Legend. I suggest you to not use the word attack where you explain the connection between tower and chassis of the same tank or again when you say that chassis of the same platoon connetc. In theory it's stupid if you attack your own tank or a tank of your platoon. I would explain the concept saying something like: You can move from the tower to the chassis (and viceversa) of the same tank, and your troops can move from a tank chassis to another of the same platoon.
  3. Where do you use blockers?
  4. What do you mean with the situation on the battlefield can change, depending what you hold. This is a very cryptic concept. :-k
  5. To move tanks? you can't move the tanks! Maybe you mean to move your troops from a tank to another? and in this case if you need to hold the leader...it doesn't work with the fact you can move from chassis to chassis of the same platoon.
  6. Another weak concept is "targets are indicated by direction of cannons". I understand what you're trying to do, but listen to me...it will be a big big issue. It's not a clear system, not understandable at glance. You need to find a better system to explain the attack system, otherwise the only way to learn how it works will be play the map. And you know that the player should be able to understand how the map works only reading the instructions, so before playing.

These are my initial thoughts
Said that I like the map and I'm looking forward your next update

Nobodies

Give every man your ear, but few thy voice. Take each man's censure, but reserve thy judgment.
show
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class thenobodies80
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman
 
Posts: 5640
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:30 am
Medals: 70
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Bot Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
General Achievement (8) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (6) General Contribution (17)

Re: Tank Battle (1v1?), BLUE GUYS COULD THIS BE DONE?

Postby Oneyed on Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:58 am

thenobodies80 wrote:You talk about invisible targets. I assume it's a creative way to indicate conditional borders. But just to be clear there's no way to have an invisible target apart play a fog game. Certainly with conditional borders you can make impossible to attack a specific territory if you don't qualify for the condition, but in anycase, apart FOW games, the amount of troops there will be visible to the players.

thenobodies80 wrote:Another weak concept is "targets are indicated by direction of cannons". I understand what you're trying to do, but listen to me...it will be a big big issue. It's not a clear system, not understandable at glance. You need to find a better system to explain the attack system, otherwise the only way to learn how it works will be play the map. And you know that the player should be able to understand how the map works only reading the instructions, so before playing.


it is not clear that for example: GPT1 can only attacks B1T2, B1C2, B1T1, B1C1 and not also B1T3, B1C3?
is this only way how to show bombardments?:
Click image to enlarge.
image

thenobodies80 wrote:Legend. I suggest you to not use the word attack where you explain the connection between tower and chassis of the same tank or again when you say that chassis of the same platoon connetc. In theory it's stupid if you attack your own tank or a tank of your platoon. I would explain the concept saying something like: You can move from the tower to the chassis (and viceversa) of the same tank, and your troops can move from a tank chassis to another of the same platoon.


sounds much better.
thenobodies80 wrote:Where do you use blockers?


the main blockers will be holding protuberant tanks (chassis, tower). so if you not hold them you can bombard targets X, Y from tank A (tower) in platoon, but when you hold protuberant tank (chassis, tower) you can bombard targets X, Y from here but not from tank A (tower). I can not write these blockers here, because everybody can read them and knows how game works...
thenobodies80 wrote:What do you mean with the situation on the battlefield can change, depending what you hold. This is a very cryptic concept. :-k


as is written above.
thenobodies80 wrote:To move tanks? you can't move the tanks! Maybe you mean to move your troops from a tank to another? and in this case if you need to hold the leader...it doesn't work with the fact you can move from chassis to chassis of the same platoon.


you are right. here I mean: move troops from chassis in platoon to chassis in (its) protuberant chassis via streak of straps. only for this you need to hold platoons leader tank.
thenobodies80 wrote:These are my initial thoughts


thank you.
thenobodies80 wrote:Said that I like the map and I'm looking forward your next update


update would become only if some things will be clear to me :)

Oneyed
Sergeant 1st Class Oneyed
 
Posts: 857
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:29 pm
Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)

Re: Tank Battle (1v1?), BLUE GUYS COULD THIS BE DONE?

Postby Oneyed on Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:28 pm

everything back. forgot the post above, I think I have now what you try to say.

thenobodies80 wrote:[*]You talk about invisible targets. I assume it's a creative way to indicate conditional borders. But just to be clear there's no way to have an invisible target apart play a fog game. Certainly with conditional borders you can make impossible to attack a specific territory if you don't qualify for the condition, but in anycase, apart FOW games, the amount of troops there will be visible to the players.


the targets will be invisible to the time when player conquer Tower of tank, because only from Tower is possible bombard. and player will see only targets which are possible to bombard from Tower X. because there is normal border.
thenobodies80 wrote:[*]Legend. I suggest you to not use the word attack where you explain the connection between tower and chassis of the same tank or again when you say that chassis of the same platoon connetc. In theory it's stupid if you attack your own tank or a tank of your platoon. I would explain the concept saying something like: You can move from the tower to the chassis (and viceversa) of the same tank, and your troops can move from a tank chassis to another of the same platoon.


as in post above sounds great.
thenobodies80 wrote:[*]Where do you use blockers?


there are more blockers as only chassis and towers of protuberant tanks. all except protuberant blockers could me remove, but this depends on:
1, if blockers must be mentioned in legend or if blockers could be as little surprise for players?
2, also if in legend must be mentioned which blocker blocking which target?

here are all bombardments and blockers:
show

thenobodies80 wrote:[*]What do you mean with the situation on the battlefield can change, depending what you hold. This is a very cryptic concept. :-k


as you can see from bombardments above, the targets for some Towers are different if player holds/does not hold blockers.
thenobodies80 wrote:[*]To move tanks? you can't move the tanks! Maybe you mean to move your troops from a tank to another? and in this case if you need to hold the leader...it doesn't work with the fact you can move from chassis to chassis of the same platoon.


as in post above. hold leader tank valids only for moving troops from chassis of Tank in platoon to chassis of protberant chassis via streak of straps.
thenobodies80 wrote:[*]Another weak concept is "targets are indicated by direction of cannons". I understand what you're trying to do, but listen to me...it will be a big big issue. It's not a clear system, not understandable at glance. You need to find a better system to explain the attack system, otherwise the only way to learn how it works will be play the map. And you know that the player should be able to understand how the map works only reading the instructions, so before playing.


hm. now this looks as the main problem. player ofcourse will see targets when he holds Tower, but not before. so how to explain that cannon "shows" direction of fire? and that there are more targets?

Oneyed
Sergeant 1st Class Oneyed
 
Posts: 857
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:29 pm
Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)

Re: Tank Battle (1v1?) [20/2] Pg1

Postby thenobodies80 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:13 am

Oneyed wrote: thenobodies80 wrote:[*]You talk about invisible targets. I assume it's a creative way to indicate conditional borders. But just to be clear there's no way to have an invisible target apart play a fog game. Certainly with conditional borders you can make impossible to attack a specific territory if you don't qualify for the condition, but in anycase, apart FOW games, the amount of troops there will be visible to the players.

the targets will be invisible to the time when player conquer Tower of tank, because only from Tower is possible bombard. and player will see only targets which are possible to bombard from Tower X. because there is normal border.


No wait, if you say "invisible" I think about the question mark Image we have on fog of war games. In that case it's not because of the map, but the game settings.
The fact you can bormbard/attack a territory or not is not directly related with being visible or invisible. Or better they are, but not because the map. So I assume you mean "not accessible / attackable/ bombardable" because the opposite it's not possible if the game is not a fog of war one.

Oneyed wrote:1, if blockers must be mentioned in legend or if blockers could be as little surprise for players?


No surprises. Certainly you don't have to list all the blockers, but you have to write somewhere how the game mechanism works. Players must be all on the same page when it comes to instructions.

Oneyed wrote:player ofcourse will see targets when he holds Tower, but not before. so how to explain that cannon "shows" direction of fire? and that there are more targets?


Targets can be explained with some icons/colors/etc etc...there're various ways. But again or i read your sentences in the wrong way or what you say it's not possible to do. I mean targets not visible to players.

Nobodies
Last edited by thenobodies80 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: oops a typo! :P

Give every man your ear, but few thy voice. Take each man's censure, but reserve thy judgment.
show
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class thenobodies80
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman
 
Posts: 5640
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:30 am
Medals: 70
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Bot Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
General Achievement (8) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (6) General Contribution (17)

Re: Tank Battle (1v1?) [20/2] Pg1

Postby Oneyed on Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:43 am

thenobodies80 wrote:No wait, if you say "invisible" I think about the question mark Image we have on fog of war games. In that case it's not because of the map, but the game settings.


I understand now. so in sunny games will player see all opponents regions or neutral ones. baseless if he holds tower or not...
thenobodies80 wrote:The fact you can bormbard/attack a territory or not is not directly related with being visible or invisible. Or better they are, but not because the map. So I assume you mean "not accessible / attackable/ bombardable" because the opposite it's not possible if the game is not a fog of war one.


yes, in this case bombardable is what only possible to do.
thenobodies80 wrote:No surprises. Certainly you don't have to list all the blockers, but you have to write somewhere how the game mechanism wrote. Players must be all on the same page when it comes to instructions.


then I think it will be clear when only protuberant tanks (chassis, towers) will be blockers.
thenobodies80 wrote:Targets can be explained with some icons/colors/etc etc...there're various ways.


this is what I do not want to do... this is only thing which we could solve...
thenobodies80 wrote:But again or i read your sentences in the wrong way or what you say it's not possible to do.


the error is in my side. I wrong understan game mechanics and also wrong explain my ideas.
thenobodies80 wrote:I mean targets not visible to players.


why? I know what you are trying to say that players must know how game works. when you look at picture I think it is almost clear each direction of each cannon.

thank you for help and patience :)

Oneyed
Sergeant 1st Class Oneyed
 
Posts: 857
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:29 pm
Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)

Re: Tank Battle (1v1?) [20/2] Pg1

Postby koontz1973 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:02 am

I understand now. so in sunny games will player see all opponents regions or neutral ones. baseless if he holds tower or not...

Correct
why? I know what you are trying to say that players must know how game works. when you look at picture I think it is almost clear each direction of each cannon.

Oneyed, when you look at the cannon, they face this way or that, but some players will say, this cannon faces to the top or bottom of the map. Targets must be visible to all, including those who do not speak English. Target symbols are the best way for this.

An idea for you, you have the tanks lined up like cannon. Tanks being mobile drove all around the battle field and never sat stationary. Mix the tanks up a bit. Give the map some feel that the battle is being fought. A couple of burnt out husks would not go amiss as well.
Sergeant 1st Class koontz1973
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant
 
Posts: 7538
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:57 am
Medals: 116
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (10) General Achievement (13) Clan Achievement (5) Map Contribution (12)
Tournament Contribution (31) General Contribution (9)

Re: Tank Battle (1v1?) [20/2] Pg1

Postby Oneyed on Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:24 pm

koontz1973 wrote:Oneyed, when you look at the cannon, they face this way or that, but some players will say, this cannon faces to the top or bottom of the map.


? how can cannon faces to top or bottom? it could only faces to top or only bottom, becaue there is tower...
koontz1973 wrote:An idea for you, you have the tanks lined up like cannon. Tanks being mobile drove all around the battle field and never sat stationary.


it would be a WWII battle between Brittish M4 Shermans and German Panthers. tanks had not gyroscope yet, so they fire stationary.
koontz1973 wrote:Mix the tanks up a bit. Give the map some feel that the battle is being fought. A couple of burnt out husks would not go amiss as well.


except some huge tank battles as Kursk, tanks do not fight as cavalry. they attack in formations and it is rare when they mixed. the burn out is good idea, maybe they could decay or something similar...

thank you for advices and some good ideas. :)

Oneyed
Sergeant 1st Class Oneyed
 
Posts: 857
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:29 pm
Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)

Re: Tank Battle (1v1?) [20/2] Pg1

Postby ViperOverLord on Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:46 pm

I think it'd look better and be vertigo on the user if the tanks were going east and west.
Image

High Score: #76 3053
User avatar
Major ViperOverLord
 
Posts: 2173
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:19 pm
Location: California
Medals: 127
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (30)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (10) Tournament Contribution (31)

Next

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Login