[Vacation - valid until May 2014] War of the Roses

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: War Of The Roses

Postby Aleena on Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:29 pm

Click image to enlarge.

This is an alternative placement of the areas.

Please Let me know if you like where the areas are in the map above better or in the map below better.
Above the areas are about 60% accurate to what I'm using as my main guide and below they are 85% accurate.
(Will not be able to get any more accurate then what I have below... But even with this accuracy - the areas are bunched up in places where as above they are spread out... But I'll let you all be the judge of which layout you like better...

This link is what I'm basing all of the area placement by: (focusing on churches and shields)
http://brummbar.com/brummbar/board_game ... er_Map.pdf

I do now that the either map still have a few issues such as Exeter in the bottom map is not a port but a church and Penzance is not yellow but brown... But what I need to know right now is should I fix the map above and move forward - of fix the map below and move forward... Which map has better placement or areas as far as game play goes - in your all opinion?

Click image to enlarge.
Last edited by Aleena on Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:46 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Private 1st Class Aleena

Medals: 1
Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby Metsfanmax on Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:34 pm

I don't have any specific comments right now -- just wanted to say that you've done an awesome job transforming this from an MS Paint idea into a map I'd love to try!
Lieutenant Metsfanmax
Head Thinker
Head Thinker

Medals: 40
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (2)
General Contribution (5)

Postby Aleena on Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:11 am

Ty Metsfanmax, I hope I'll be able to get out of draft and through this stamping process so that you could play it..

I do not like wasting time, and since I had the options for these layouts up all day and no one said anything - I decided to move forward with the new layout...

Below is the completed version of the new layout - many changes made - Please would love your feed back, comments, suggestions...

Click image to enlarge.
Last edited by Aleena on Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Private 1st Class Aleena

Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby rdsrds2120 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:50 pm

One thing I notice is that it's hard to tell the bonus sections apart. Perhaps instead of coloring in the icons, you could make them uniform, a tad smaller, and use that extra room to add colored glows to territory names? This would also make the names easier to see (especially ones that span over multiple colors, such as Carisbrooke, Calais, Beaumaris, etc).

BMO
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120
Retired Administrator

Medals: 90
Conquer Cup Bronze Achievement (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (9)
Clan Achievement (7) Training Achievement (3) Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (9)

Postby Aleena on Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:56 pm

Ok, I added a green glow behind the Names of the Green Areas... (The one's in the northern part of the map)

What do you all think? If you like I'll do it through out - but I think I did this before - and players didn't like it because it takes a lot away from the map since their are so many long names all over the map.

But if you like it - I can add it - just need the word....

Click image to enlarge.
Private 1st Class Aleena

Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby waauw on Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:28 am

Aleena wrote:Ok, I added a green glow behind the Names of the Green Areas... (The one's in the northern part of the map)

What do you all think? If you like I'll do it through out - but I think I did this before - and players didn't like it because it takes a lot away from the map since their are so many long names all over the map.

But if you like it - I can add it - just need the word....

Click image to enlarge.

These namebackgrounds look a lot better then the last ones.
Though I disagree with rds. Imo it was already clear what belonged to what bonuszone.

George Santayana: Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it.
Cook waauw

Location: Physically in Belgium, mentally lost in his fantasy world
Medals: 50
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (4) Tournament Contribution (10)

Postby Aleena on Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:52 am

If it is clear with-out placing the background color glow behind the words then I prefer to go with out... The less we clutter the map the better in my opinion...

So, I'm at a waiting game again - for either more players to say add the back ground glow behind names, other suggestions/comments, or a stamp so I can try to focus my attention more at game play then graphics..
Private 1st Class Aleena

Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby waauw on Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:01 am

Aleena wrote:If it is clear with-out placing the background color glow behind the words then I prefer to go with out... The less we clutter the map the better in my opinion...

So, I'm at a waiting game again - for either more players to say add the back ground glow behind names, other suggestions/comments, or a stamp so I can try to focus my attention more at game play then graphics..

you could always maybe just try out a glow, as in a coloured shadow behind the letters

George Santayana: Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it.
Cook waauw

Location: Physically in Belgium, mentally lost in his fantasy world
Medals: 50
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (4) Tournament Contribution (10)

Postby Aleena on Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:21 am

will do
Private 1st Class Aleena

Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby Dukasaur on Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:49 pm

I'm wondering if there can be just a very light glow? Perhaps with just 25% saturation or something?
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Head Socialite
Head Socialite

Medals: 125
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (18)
General Achievement (13) Clan Achievement (5) Training Achievement (2) Challenge Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (31)

Postby Bruceswar on Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:39 am

Few quick points. Tone down that water you have around the edges of the land. Maybe make it slightly smaller? Also I agree... Try some glow on the words.
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Major Bruceswar

Medals: 140
Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4)
Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3)
Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (14) General Achievement (14) Clan Achievement (18) Training Achievement (6) Map Contribution (1)

Postby Aleena on Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:27 pm

Click image to enlarge.

Sorry it took so long - I to not have a text editor - so I had to draw and outline glow all the text by hand...

Look as if Bruce wants me to play with the water again - so maybe in the next day or two, I'll adjust the water a little...
Private 1st Class Aleena

Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby Aleena on Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:57 am

Click image to enlarge.

I made the coastal waters not soo bold...
and played with the water a bit...

What you all think now?
Private 1st Class Aleena

Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby Bruceswar on Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:41 am

The purple text is hard to read.... maybe try a lighter purple? Also your bonus values are way high.
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Major Bruceswar

Medals: 140
Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4)
Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3)
Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (14) General Achievement (14) Clan Achievement (18) Training Achievement (6) Map Contribution (1)

Postby DoomYoshi on Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:18 pm

This reminds me of the old days.
show
Corporal 1st Class DoomYoshi
Entertainment Contributor
Entertainment Contributor

Medals: 70
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (8) Clan Achievement (16)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (5)

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box